ADVERTISEMENT

Cats to play in 2017 Hall of Fame Tip-Off

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
The release from NU...

Northwestern to Participate in 2017 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament

EVANSTON, Ill. -- Northwestern will participate in the 2017 Tip-Off Tournament November 18-19 at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, as announced Wednesday by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Wildcats will take on La Salle of the Atlantic 10 Conference on November 18 while the other semifinal contest will feature Texas Tech (Big 12) and Boston College (ACC). The winners and the losers of Saturday's games will square off the following day.

"Our program is thrilled to have the chance to participate in a tournament with as rich of a history as the Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament.," Northwestern Sullivan-Ubben head men's basketball coach Chris Collins said. "It's always exciting anytime you have the opportunity to play for a championship and we look forward to challenging ourselves early in the season."

In conjunction with the games at Mohegan Sun, Northwestern also will host Saint Peter's November 13 and Sacred Heart November 24 at Allstate Arena in Rosemont.

The Wildcats are set to return four starters and 11 letterwinners from last season's squad that posted a school-record 24 wins, finished tied for fifth in the Big Ten Conference and appeared in the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history.

General public tickets for the games in Connecticut will go on sale Friday, September 8 at 9 a.m. CT via all Ticketmaster outlets and the Mohegan Sun Arena box office. Pre-sales for participating schools begin Thursday, June 1.

Broadcast information and game times will be announced at later date. For more information, please visit www.halloffametipoff.com.

Don't know if Rosemont is what is killing us, but we must schedule better non-conference opponents to maximize our chances of making the NCAAT again.

Don't know if Rosemont is what is killing us, but we must schedule better non-conference opponents to maximize our chances of making the NCAAT again.

I don't take issue with the games that have been announced so far. Seems like it is shaping up to be a decent schedule. He is what is confirmed so far (with 2016-17 final kenpom rating):

@B1G/ACC Challenge Opponent TBD (most likely a top 25 team)
Texas Tech (41) OR Boston College (173) - Neutral Site
@ Oklahoma (65)
St. Peter's (95)
Valpo (104)
La Salle (140) - Neutral Site
Brown (277)
Sacred Heart (301)

Am I missing any other games that have been announced or Home & Home returns (DePaul?)

Last edited:
I don't take issue with the games that have been announced so far. Seems like it is shaping up to be a decent schedule. He is what is confirmed so far (with 2016-17 final kenpom rating):

@ Oklahoma (65)
St. Peter's (95)
Valpo (104)
Brown (277)
Sacred Heart (301)

Am I missing any other games that have been announced or Home & Home returns (DePaul?)

DePaul will be on the schedule, we agreed to a 5-year series starting in 2015 (link). Presumably it will be at the McCormick Place arena, though it would be interesting to play a home game against them in the arena they called home for 30+ years.

We may also play a Big East team in the Gavitt Games, but that hasn't been confirmed.

@ Oklahoma (65)
St. Peter's (95)
Valpo (104)
Brown (277)
Sacred Heart (301)

I thought we had a home and home with Butler, or did I dream that?

The non con needs improvement but I'm confident that the admin is taking care of it. Everyone knows the importance of quality wins. The earlier the better.

I thought we had a home and home with Butler, or did I dream that?

The non con needs improvement but I'm confident that the admin is taking care of it. Everyone knows the importance of quality wins. The earlier the better.

It wasn't a dream. We did complete a four game home-and-home with Butler a couple years ago. I think it was initially going to be played in four consecutive years, but the last two games had to be moved. So we played them in 2008 (road), 2009, 2012, and 2014 (road). Then we played them on the road last season as part of the Gavitt Games.

The release from NU...

Northwestern to Participate in 2017 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament

EVANSTON, Ill. -- Northwestern will participate in the 2017 Tip-Off Tournament November 18-19 at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, as announced Wednesday by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Wildcats will take on La Salle of the Atlantic 10 Conference on November 18 while the other semifinal contest will feature Texas Tech (Big 12) and Boston College (ACC). The winners and the losers of Saturday's games will square off the following day.

"Our program is thrilled to have the chance to participate in a tournament with as rich of a history as the Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament.," Northwestern Sullivan-Ubben head men's basketball coach Chris Collins said. "It's always exciting anytime you have the opportunity to play for a championship and we look forward to challenging ourselves early in the season."

In conjunction with the games at Mohegan Sun, Northwestern also will host Saint Peter's November 13 and Sacred Heart November 24 at Allstate Arena in Rosemont.

The Wildcats are set to return four starters and 11 letterwinners from last season's squad that posted a school-record 24 wins, finished tied for fifth in the Big Ten Conference and appeared in the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history.

General public tickets for the games in Connecticut will go on sale Friday, September 8 at 9 a.m. CT via all Ticketmaster outlets and the Mohegan Sun Arena box office. Pre-sales for participating schools begin Thursday, June 1.

Broadcast information and game times will be announced at later date. For more information, please visit www.halloffametipoff.com.

Darn it! I was really hoping for the Battle for Atlantis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT