ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Lose Another One

I don't think it's true that we don't know. Currently it's OL, WR, DE. How many years running has it been OL and WR? I would say this is year 3 for WR and year 4 for OL (at least since Pat Ward graduated after 2012).

How many years have we had poor talent at OL and WR? Our seniors graduate and very few are offered FA contracts. Even those guys were transfers rather than guys we signed out of high school. The last NU freshman-verballed WR drafted or invited to an NFL camp was who? Ebert 5 years ago? Tony Jones??? Shuler and Prater transferred in. The last NU OL drafted or offered a FA contract was who? Netter five years ago? If I'm correct (I may be forgetting someone) that's 8-9 positions that haven't even been offered FA contracts in 5 years. Our recruiting and/or development at these positions stinks.

Reactions: beetlemania74
Remind me how long ago you worked there. (I already know the answer to that but let's just get it out in the open.) Your pipeline on information hasn't exactly been authoritative for some time. Looking back at your recruiting predictions you have missed quite a bit. That's to say nothing of your game predictions, though that is not necessarily indicative of inside information.

Although you make valuable contributions to the board, I'm hardly alone in rolling my eyes about how you treat other posters, especially when you are challenged. I know quite a bit about you and I have kept my mouth shut for too long. I'm sick of watching you smack down other NU fans who post.

Your 'tough DIII guy' approach is not going to work on me and unless you want to lay bare a lot of detail consider moderating your tone. There's so much value in your contributions but your tone leaves a lot to be desired.

I also don't think you should presume to know how much any posters do or don't know. There's a reason why posters don't want to admit certain knowledge. I'm sure it's the same reason you refuse to admit information when challenged.

All this creepiness ("I know quite a bit about you"), juvenile putdowns ("tough DIII guy"...I've played with and against DIII guys who were awarded bronze stars, Hruby is a DIII talent; this is ridiculous), and intimidation still don't change the fact that you do not know exactly what our academic standards are for football players, or at least not as well as someone who has worked on player admissions does.

Last edited:
Fitzgerald has shown that is exactly the best that he can do. He has been more consistent than Walker or Barnett but do you know who Fitz really reminds me of?

Fitz is our Glen Mason.

So are we going to get stupid like Minnesota did and fire our Glen Mason after losing a game to a good MAC team? UM still has not gotten back to where Mason had them in what? Nine years now?

How many years have we had poor talent at OL and WR? Our seniors graduate and very few are offered FA contracts. Even those guys were transfers rather than guys we signed out of high school. The last NU freshman-verballed WR drafted or invited to an NFL camp was who? Ebert 5 years ago? Tony Jones??? Shuler and Prater transferred in. The last NU OL drafted or offered a FA contract was who? Netter five years ago? If I'm correct (I may be forgetting someone) that's 8-9 positions that haven't even been offered FA contracts in 5 years. Our recruiting and/or development at these positions stinks.
No disagreement. Especially disappointed with the OL as it is an area we should do better. I mean WMU OL looked significantly better than ours. It is why I feel the OL coaching position needs to be looked at closely. But WR is not far behind (only because I have lower expectations. Still disappointing.

We don't know the problem? Currently it's OL, WR, DE. How many years running has it been OL and WR? I would say this is year 3 for WR and year 4 for OL (at least since Pat Ward graduated after 2012).

We have struggled landing our top OL and WR targets for pretty much years. So we know recruiting has not been good enough. Then we also know the coaching isn't good enough to compensate. Maybe the coaching would be adequate with quality talent but we know it's not good enough with the recruits that we signed.

For DE, we anticipated some drop off after Lowry and Gibson by signing Goens and Gaziano, but they're young. That means a year of holding the fort with two situational pass rushers trying to play three downs. We might have reached at the end of a class for Washington after a decommit. We converted a lanky LB, Odenigbo, into a DE by having him gain a billion pounds.

You can add QB to the list. We started a RS frosh because the senior was not good enough and the next guy was, as it turned out, badly injured. The coaching was not good enough to have a RS frosh play well.

So we know it is recruiting, as you said, but yeah, we know something about the coaching. We know it might be okay with quality talent but it is not good enough when we miss on our top recruiting targets. Jerry Brown wasn't good enough before we gave him Harris, Van Hoose, Henry, Campbell, etc.

If we have to stack the deck so much at DB to succeed, so much that we struggle at WR, what does it suggest about the coaches? Same with DL/OL.

Aren't we at a point at which we are really confident only about our LB coach? We have had some mediocre talent and great talent but when was the last time our LBs sucked?

All you know is our talent at WR and OL has been below standards to be competitive in the B10, which seems to be true in terms of producing talent the NFL is interested in. You STILL DO NOT KNOW how good our WR and OL coaches are at coaching. And bringing up Jerry Brown supports my supposition here (you forgot McManis, Mabin, Philips, and Smith). Sorry, but all you're offering is arm waving here to me. I can't help you with that either. For the talent we bring in (as rated by recruiting services and NFL interest), we do quite well relative to other teams with equal or even better talent. We beat Stanford, Duke, Nebraska, PSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois last year, all teams with approximately equal or better talent than we have.
right now.

Look, based upon position performance the past few years, we know where to sniff for poor coaching, but few, if any, here can state with confidence which coaches are keepers and which should be released. But fans bitch away and want to fire coaches willy-nilly when a 5-point underdog wins by one point because of a fumble at the goal line. It's amusing to me.

Reactions: HawkCat
It also easily could have been zero losses too. The if game works both ways.
By that logic we could go 12-0 or 0-12 every season. If you didn't like my suggestion that we could have lost last year, let's stick to facts, all right?

We have lost to MAC teams twice in three years. Good MAC teams. But at home with Big Ten resources. There's no excuses surely!

Look, based upon position performance the past few years, we know where to sniff for poor coaching, but few, if any, here can state with confidence which coaches are keepers and which should be released. But fans bitch away and want to fire coaches willy-nilly when a 5-point underdog wins by one point because of a fumble at the goal line. It's amusing to me.

This is not to say coaching isn't a problem. Something smells funny. I'm just not convinced by the evidence when it has been so confounded by what appears to be a lack of suitable talent to challenge for championships.

[/QUOTE]And by the way, neither Barnet nor Walker got to play FCS (I-AA) teams for a sure Home win........the 1996 team only played 11 regular season games and if you replace @Wake (L) with a home FCS cupcacke a la Fitz you get 10 wins. The 2000 Walker team played 9 Big 10 games and @ #20 TCU, put 2 home cupcakes in and you get 10 wins even in an 11 game season.[/QUOTE]

Uh, that Wake Forest team had two other wins besides the one against us; over App St. by 6 and over winless Duke by 1. The rest of their games they lost by a combined score of 318 to 80. I think that they would be well qualified as a "cupcake:.

All you know is our talent at WR and OL has been below standards to be competitive in the B10, which seems to be true in terms of producing talent the NFL is interested in.

That's quite a lot to know and all of us know it. We have not landed the four-star and high three-star talent that we pursued. We have lost out on OL to Iowa and Wisconsin and WR to Mich, Stanford, and OSU. The names are well known and oft discussed because we did have a chance with these specific guys. Other than Clark at OSU, the lost recruits wound up contributing.

You STILL DO NOT KNOW how good our WR and OL coaches are at coaching. And bringing up Jerry Brown supports my supposition here (you forgot McManis, Mabin, Philips, and Smith).

If you had read my response carefully, I didn't say Cush and Springer can't coach. I am saying they aren't coaching well enough considering the muddling talent they have. Again we know this. The question is how serious is this problem?

I brought up Brown because here is a ridiculous narrative that we know is NOT true. In the mid 1990s he was a great coach when he had Ray, Martin, Ismaeli. Then he must have suddenly been bad when our DBs got torched under Colby. Then he remembered how to coach and we had Phillips, Smith, McManis. (No, I didn't 'forget' them.) Then he forgot how to coach again when White and Dugar were getting torched but now he got good again.

Well we know that doesn't make sense. But think about what it tells us. Brown requires a lot of great talent.

Remember when MacPherson was under water when Arby was running sideways? Now Mac is a great coach because he has JJ, Long.

So we have several coaches who require great recruiting at their positions. These guys can't take mediocre talent and coach them up.

Yet Bates for example hasn't had a slew of four stars or Gatorade POYs but our LBs have been good to great. That says to me he's a good coach with middle of the road and great talent.

When Johns was here he had a stream of 2 star recruits and some 3s but we were consistently good at WR. Again it suggests he can coach different talent levels.

So I think all of this vaunted tenure for our coaches gives us considerable knowledge about which coaches need top talent and which do well no matter what they're given.

That's quite a lot to know and all of us know it. We have not landed the four-star and high three-star talent that we pursued. We have lost out on OL to Iowa and Wisconsin and WR to Mich, Stanford, and OSU. The names are well known and oft discussed because we did have a chance with these specific guys. Other than Clark at OSU, the lost recruits wound up contributing.

If you had read my response carefully, I didn't say Cush and Springer can't coach. I am saying they aren't coaching well enough considering the muddling talent they have. Again we know this. The question is how serious is this problem?

I brought up Brown because here is a ridiculous narrative that we know is NOT true. In the mid 1990s he was a great coach when he had Ray, Martin, Ismaeli. Then he must have suddenly been bad when our DBs got torched under Colby. Then he remembered how to coach and we had Phillips, Smith, McManis. (No, I didn't 'forget' them.) Then he forgot how to coach again when White and Dugar were getting torched but now he got good again.

Well we know that doesn't make sense. But think about what it tells us. Brown requires a lot of great talent.

Remember when MacPherson was under water when Arby was running sideways? Now Mac is a great coach because he has JJ, Long.

So we have several coaches who require great recruiting at their positions. These guys can't take mediocre talent and coach them up.

Yet Bates for example hasn't had a slew of four stars or Gatorade POYs but our LBs have been good to great. That says to me he's a good coach with middle of the road and great talent.

When Johns was here he had a stream of 2 star recruits and some 3s but we were consistently good at WR. Again it suggests he can coach different talent levels.

So I think all of this vaunted tenure for our coaches gives us considerable knowledge about which coaches need top talent and which do well no matter what they're given.

Or, you know, recruiting rankings are mostly bullshit and it isn't quite as easy as just saying "coach 'em up."

Or, you know, recruiting rankings are mostly bullshit and it isn't quite as easy as just saying "coach 'em up."
It's not complete bull. Consistently the 4 and 5 stars wind up as good players. Some 2 stars do too but not at the same success rate. So it's not all bull but you know that.

Good god mikewebb. It's bad enough that you're a board policeman but you're comparing a program with the full I-A complement of scholies to an I-AA program with 20-some fewer?

Yeah Wake sucked that year and a few I-AAs would have beaten them, like Marshall back then. But Wake would have romped over most I-AAs simply due to depth.

To draw a comparison to the modern FBS and FCS, 2015 Illinois demolished Western Illinois 44-0. Western wound up in the FCS playoffs.

The poster stated that Wake Forest could have been replaced with a FCS "cupcake", implying that Wake was NOT a "cupcake". Wake Forest played App St. who was NOT a cream-of-the-crop 1-AA team that year (it was a down year for the program), and beat them by 6. It is arguable that they would have not "romped" that year over anyone but the weakest of 1-AA teams that year. So to imply that that our record would have been better by scheduling a "cupcake" is not accurate. Wake Forest WAS a cupcake, one of the nut worst teams in 1-A, on a par with a decent, but not excellent, 1-AA team such as App St. was that year....

We know recruiting has not been good enough at those positions. We had many unheralded recruits under Johns and somehow they produced. Whether or not Kevin's methods were sound is another topic but he proved that you don't need 3 and 4 star personnel at WR.

We also know that Pat recognizes a problem in production. We know he recognizes it because we are recruiting WR and OL and also playing raw FR and RS FR at those positions.

Where he doesn't see a problem and where you don't either is that we have a history of taking less recruited HS prospects and reaping production. The assistants responsible aren't here anymore and their replacements have not gotten the same results with possibly better talent. Certainly arguably better.

The poster stated that Wake Forest could have been replaced with a FCS "cupcake", implying that Wake was NOT a "cupcake". Wake Forest played App St. who was NOT a cream-of-the-crop 1-AA team that year (it was a down year for the program), and beat them by 6. It is arguable that they would have not "romped" that year over anyone but the weakest of 1-AA teams that year. So to imply that that our record would have been better by scheduling a "cupcake" is not accurate. Wake Forest WAS a cupcake, one of the nut worst teams in 1-A, on a par with a decent, but not excellent, 1-AA team such as App St. was that year....

It is not arguable at all and shows how little research you have done. You are out of your depth. Even poor I-A schools consistently beat most of I-AA simply due to the scholarship disparity.

For a lay person like you, I recommend Sagarin's ratings. Each year there are a number of FCS teams rated above FBS doormats but it varies year to year and generally FBS crap trumps FCS.

Take 2015 for example. Probably the worst Power 5 team was Kansas, winless and rated 156. There were 90 more schools -- all but nine of them FCS -- rated below lowly KU.

Wake 1996 would have destroyed the entire SWAC, MEAC, Ivies, let alone the lower half of the stronger I-AAs.

Notice I said "mostly bullshit?"
Oh please. One of your favorite argumentative tools: semantics. You know as well as I do that recruiting rankings are heavily dependent on power program offer lists and interest. It's certainly not a bad basis even if plenty of deserving Texas kids, for example, are under recruited by Big XII schools simply because of the sheer volume of HS programs and the deep pool that it creates there.

It is not arguable at all and shows how little research you have done. You are out of your depth. Even poor I-A schools consistently beat most of I-AA simply due to the scholarship disparity.

For a lay person like you, I recommend Sagarin's ratings. Each year there are a number of FCS teams rated above FBS doormats but it varies year to year and generally FBS crap trumps FCS.

Take 2015 for example. Probably the worst Power 5 team was Kansas, winless and rated 156. There were 90 more schools -- all but nine of them FCS -- rated below lowly KU.

Wake 1996 would have destroyed the entire SWAC, MEAC, Ivies, let alone the lower half of the stronger I-AAs.

So a horrendous, horrendous Wake Forest was NOT a cupcake? Mind blown.

LOL! Arby Fields would have sucked pumpkins no matter if Walter Payton and Vince Lombardi had been his coach. The guy was slow and afraid to hit the line unless there was a gaping "high school" hole there. Coach McPh can't make chicken salad out of... And how are our RB's doing now?

Our linebackers have been good to great?!!! Our LB's were mediocre or worse as recently as 2010-2011, or have you forgotten the Army and Wrigley-Illinois debacles...games lost by poor to horrible, vomit-inducing LB play? Sheesh!

JBrown requires great talent? Kinda...that's true for all programs. He requires decent, sufficient talent and he coaches them up well, which you point out quite well. Has he had any 4-stars to work with? Guys like Philips, Jones, and Carpenter (Gator Bowl MVP) improved remarkably over their career, even though they had few, if any, other offers. Zero-star Marquice Cole had speed, if few to no other offers, and he had a pretty decent NFL career, don't you think? Brown turned VanHoose, an unheralded guy with average speed (check his HS track times) but good quickness, into an all-B10 CB. You gotta lot more arm-waving to do to convince me JB is a substandard coach.

Our WR's were effective under Johns. What notable talent have we had since? I'll admit, the drops we've seen the past few years have occurred on Springer's watch. But how have player personalities affected the attitude and work ethic within that group? I've heard things.

You (and I) might smell something funny, but you (and I) still don't know enough to partition blame other than pointing fingers at coaches of groups that have underperformed with little critical regard to the talent on hand. At least you haven't convinced me, nor someone much closer to the program and more knowledgeable about football like, well, Fitz. Sorry.

Last edited:
We know recruiting has not been good enough at those positions. We had many unheralded recruits under Johns and somehow they produced. Whether or not Kevin's methods were sound is another topic but he proved that you don't need 3 and 4 star personnel at WR.

We also know that Pat recognizes a problem in production. We know he recognizes it because we are recruiting WR and OL and also playing raw FR and RS FR at those positions.

Where he doesn't see a problem and where you don't either is that we have a history of taking less recruited HS prospects and reaping production. The assistants responsible aren't here anymore and their replacements have not gotten the same results with possibly better talent. Certainly arguably better.

What you apparently don't see is the difference in talent, skills, and quickness between a Peterman or an Ebert and the slow, unskilled guys we've landed over the past few years. Who among our recent WR's was notably quick? Who has gotten even an NFL look since? Even Fitz has acknowledged the shortcomings in recruiting here, like taking chances on tall guys recruited off of teams that throw the ball 4-5 times a game. Our WR recruiting has been poor, IMO. We ignore and let quick, skilled guys like Dudek go elsewhere while we land guys who run 4.8 40's.

OL is a crap shoot. However, we land OL who nobody offered and they've sucked. Our OL recruiting has been mediocre. Recent classes can't be assessed yet.

It's not complete bull. Consistently the 4 and 5 stars wind up as good players. Some 2 stars do too but not at the same success rate. So it's not all bull but you know that.

But the wiggle room on those statistics is HUGE, and you know that, too, because you know that an R^2 of 0.2-0.3 doesn't explain that much of the variation in the relationship between HS rankings and performance. But wait, aren't you arguing the importance of coaching and development versus talent expressed (imperfectly) as star-ratings?

All this creepiness ("I know quite a bit about you"), juvenile putdowns ("tough DIII guy"...I've played with and against DIII guys who were awarded bronze stars, Hruby is a DIII talent; this is ridiculous), and intimidation still don't change the fact that you do not know exactly what our academic standards are for football players, or at least not as well as someone who has worked on player admissions does.
Knowing me as you like to claim you do, what do you think the likelihood is that I have found out quite a lot about our standards and have learned about wrinkles that may not have been in place 5 years ago? But you're probably right and I am just not good at something that is part of my profession........

But the wiggle room on those statistics is HUGE, and you know that, too, because you know that an R^2 of 0.2-0.3 doesn't explain that much of the variation in the relationship between HS rankings and performance. But wait, aren't you arguing the importance of coaching and development versus talent expressed (imperfectly) as star-ratings?

How do you define performance? Number of college snaps? Win probability? How have other researchers that you're citing defined it?

I'm surprised you would try this tact when you have previously admitted (or conceded) that the recruiting isn't as good as it used to be at several positions.

By admitting that, you have essentially agreed with my thesis that certain coaches have been ineffective with lesser talent while one coach specifically has fared well with a variety of recruits. Generally any coach would fare better with great recruits than poor ones but some of our coaches have seemingly fared well with a variety of talent. I brought up Coach Bates. Don't you think he has done fairly well no matter what he has been given? Further don't you agree some coaches of ours have struggled mightily without a strong depth chart at their positions? I don't see why it's an argument other than an argument against the person asserting it.

What you apparently don't see is the difference in talent, skills, and quickness between a Peterman or an Ebert and the slow, unskilled guys we've landed over the past few years. Who among our recent WR's was notably quick?

We haven't had quick guys since Peterman? Tony Jones was slow? Miles Shuler was slow? Jelani Roberts is slow? Stephen Buckley was slow?

Who has gotten even an NFL look since? Even Fitz has acknowledged the shortcomings in recruiting here, like taking chances on tall guys recruited off of teams that throw the ball 4-5 times a game.

Rashad Lawrence, Miles Shuler, Kyle Prater, Tony Jones all spent time in NFL camp or on the practice squad. I'm probably forgetting someone, too.

Our WR recruiting has been poor, IMO. We ignore and let quick, skilled guys like Dudek go elsewhere while we land guys who run 4.8 40's.

Well as long as you admit it unequivocally.

OL is a crap shoot. However, we land OL who nobody offered and they've sucked.

Coverdale had no other offers? Mertz? North? Doles?

If we are not talking about current players who 'suck,' are you talking about Vitabile, Netter, Mulroe, Burkett, or someone else?

I think some of our OL have been OK, just not as good as the guys we missed on.

If you don't believe WF was a "cupcake", how about Duke? They were 0-11 that year.

I don't object to the cupcake label so much. I object more to your incorrect suggestion that these lowly I-A teams would have been pasted by most I-AA teams. That just isn't supported by statistical ratings or schedule strength or game results.

Knowing me as you like to claim you do, what do you think the likelihood is that I have found out quite a lot about our standards and have learned about wrinkles that may not have been in place 5 years ago?

So you're going back on your claim that you had never posted here before? I have no idea who you are or what you do because you never introduce yourself at games, even though you clearly go to them and comment on other posters' behavior at them.

But you're probably right and I am just not good at something that is part of my profession........

Don't give up! You can always improve!

LOL! Arby Fields would have sucked pumpkins no matter if Walter Payton and Vince Lombardi had been his coach. The guy was slow and afraid to hit the line unless there was a gaping "high school" hole there. Coach McPh can't make chicken salad out of... And how are our RB's doing now?

Setting aside Arby, there was harsh criticism of our RBs even as recently as 2010 and 2011. In 2010, we averaged 3.6 yards/carry. In 2011, it was 3.8. People wanted MacPherson to be fired. People said he was given the job before Walker had fully trained him.

Now as you say, people don't complain about our RBs. That's really my point, though. Coach Mac has needed great talent to succeed. He was great with great talent and terrible with lesser talent. My contention is that we should want coaches who do great with great talent and adequate with lesser talent. There's a difference between terrible and adequate.

Our linebackers have been good to great?!!! Our LB's were mediocre or worse as recently as 2010-2011, or have you forgotten the Army and Wrigley-Illinois debacles...games lost by poor to horrible, vomit-inducing LB play? Sheesh!

You're citing two poor performances by the defense. By that logic, I guess our 2015 LBs were terrible because they didn't make good reads vs. Iowa.

So, no, I don't buy this logic of taking a terrible performance and suggesting that the unit was poor based on that woeful performance. You would not say our 2015 LBs were "poor" because they played poorly in one game. And by the way, I'm pretty sure that we executed a bad game plan vs. Army by using the wrong scheme for the entire game. But you remember that and this is just an exercise in being argumentative for amusement.

JBrown requires great talent? Kinda...that's true for all programs. He requires decent, sufficient talent and he coaches them up well, which you point out quite well. Has he had any 4-stars to work with? Guys like Philips, Jones, and Carpenter (Gator Bowl MVP) improved remarkably over their career, even though they had few, if any, other offers. Zero-star Marquice Cole had speed, if few to no other offers, and he had a pretty decent NFL career, don't you think? Brown turned VanHoose, an unheralded guy with average speed (check his HS track times) but good quickness, into an all-B10 CB. You gotta lot more arm-waving to do to convince me JB is a substandard coach.

I would agree that Phillips, Cole and Carpenter support your argument, but some of the others you've mentioned, like Brendan Smith (BYU, Indiana) and VanHoose (Indiana) had perfectly fine offers. Plus, since the ratings are heavily dependent on offer lists from power programs, a guy like McManis who slipped through without being noticed by other Power 5 programs simply won't earn the rating that he deserved.

I freely admit that the recruiting ratings depend on Power 5 offers, but I also feel that this is a passable basis for the ratings while it's definitely true that plenty of 2-star players were 3- or 4-star talents but were under-recruited for whatever reason.

We will have to disagree on whether or not Coach Brown does well regardless of the recruits that he receives, but I do feel that he is getting a lot of credit for a stacked depth chart.

Our WR's were effective under Johns. What notable talent have we had since? I'll admit, the drops we've seen the past few years have occurred on Springer's watch. But how have player personalities affected the attitude and work ethic within that group? I've heard things.

You're not going to like this, but a lot of the gossip (if it's the same gossip) was awfully race oriented. Let's just not go there or we inevitably discuss the union effort all over again.

How many players count as post-Johns? Are we counting Tony Jones Cam Dickerson, Rashad Lawrence, Christian Jones and part-time WR Colter? All of them played after Johns left but were recruited when he was still around. What about the transfers Shuler and Prater?

I think those guys count and all of them had some reasonable offers.

Since Johns left, class of 2012 had only two WR, Scanlan and McHugh. Wilson was the only one for 2013. Nate Hall, who didn't even play WR, was the only WR signee for 2014. 2015 & 2016 are too soon to evaluate.

I don't think that you can say WR recruiting was 'bad' when we didn't really recruit WR while so many of the aforementioned guys were packing the depth chart. Was this short sighted? Yeah.

You can't say that our receiving corps was bereft of talent until last season, though. And part of the problem was C. Jones being at 60% and Cam Dickerson being... Cam Dickerson.

You (and I) might smell something funny, but you (and I) still don't know enough to partition blame other than pointing fingers at coaches of groups that have underperformed with little critical regard to the talent on hand. At least you haven't convinced me, nor someone much closer to the program and more knowledgeable about football like, well, Fitz. Sorry.

My point is that we should absolutely regard the talent while also considering what the coach has done with well-regarded talent vs. what he has done with lesser talent. If the disparity is great and arguably this is true for Coach Cush, then it bears scrutiny.

I think that Fitz is knowledgeable about football and that's exactly why we stacked the deck at DB and why we're stacking it at WR in the last two years. By stacking, I mean taking guys who could have played on O and playing them on D exclusively, like Igwebuike, Henry, J. Hall, Watkins. In fact our DB deck was so stacked that we shifted two of them over to WR.

Rather than fire guys, he has simply allocated resources in certain ways.

So you're going back on your claim that you had never posted here before? I have no idea who you are or what you do because you never introduce yourself at games, even though you clearly go to them and comment on other posters' behavior at them.

Don't give up! You can always improve!

I don't know what claim you're referring to, but you have intimated or suggested that you knew me well. If that is true, then you know I would not have difficulty obtaining information if I were to pursue it.

There's always room for improvement, but I am adept at my profession.

Sorry, didn't see this one. Jones was the most recent, having played for NU in 2014. Rashad Lawrence was another, having finished at NU in 2013.

So, it was not five years ago. We did not have a 2015 player who was originally a Cat and was signed or drafted by the NFL, but Shuler (Panthers invitee) and Prater (Saints invitee) were at NU for half of their careers.

Now, the OL... Pat Ward finished at NU in 2012 and was an invitee (Dolphins, I think?).

So again, not five years ago, but it's definitely been a while for the OL.

How do you define performance? Number of college snaps? Win probability? How have other researchers that you're citing defined it?

There are many ways to define performance: by starts, honors, subjective scoring, NFL contracts, etc.

I'm surprised you would try this tact when you have previously admitted (or conceded) that the recruiting isn't as good as it used to be at several positions. By admitting that, you have essentially agreed with my thesis that certain coaches have been ineffective with lesser talent while one coach specifically has fared well with a variety of recruits. Generally any coach would fare better with great recruits than poor ones but some of our coaches have seemingly fared well with a variety of talent. I brought up Coach Bates. Don't you think he has done fairly well no matter what he has been given? Further don't you agree some coaches of ours have struggled mightily without a strong depth chart at their positions? I don't see why it's an argument other than an argument against the person asserting it.

I'm not agreeing with you at all. I'm simply countering your assertion that you can judge position coaching ability. I don't think recruiting has been good at several positions. At least not as well as we saw under Walker. Even Fitz acknowledges that! And I don't put much stock in Rivals ratings for a variety of reasons which have been hammered to death here. I have no opinion on Bate's coaching or any of the other assistant coaches' coaching. That's best left to people really close to the program like Fitz to assess. I simply pointed out that we have had some really poor linebacking in the past under Bates as well as good linebacking recently, but how much of that is a function of the skills, athleticism, and preparation of the athlete themselves versus coaching?

I don't know what claim you're referring to, but you have intimated or suggested that you knew me well. If that is true, then you know I would not have difficulty obtaining information if I were to pursue it.

There's always room for improvement, but I am adept at my profession.

We have had numerous discussions on Scout, but I don't know exactly who you are or what you do. Care to share with us?

That's nice. Now stop pretending you can accurately assess football position coaching.

So, no, I don't buy this logic of taking a terrible performance and suggesting that the unit was poor based on that woeful performance. You would not say our 2015 LBs were "poor" because they played poorly in one game.

That's pretty rich coming from someone essentially calling for people's jobs and generally bemoaning the program after a one-point loss to the preseason consensus MAC favorite.

Sorry, didn't see this one. Jones was the most recent, having played for NU in 2014. Rashad Lawrence was another, having finished at NU in 2013.

So, it was not five years ago. We did not have a 2015 player who was originally a Cat and was signed or drafted by the NFL, but Shuler (Panthers invitee) and Prater (Saints invitee) were at NU for half of their careers.

Now, the OL... Pat Ward finished at NU in 2012 and was an invitee (Dolphins, I think?).

So again, not five years ago, but it's definitely been a while for the OL.

And poor representation by WR's - Jones and Lawrence over the past 4 years. Again, Prater and Shuler were not NU recruits out of high school, though they were coached by Springer and signed FA contracts.

Something has smelled funky with the WR's, what with the drops over the past three seasons, but I can't discern whether coaching is the problem versus talent, off-season personal skill development and preparation, all of which rests with the players. Someone will argue that the coaches are always accountable for poor play, and that's the way things usually work in college football - See Franklin's firing of coaches at PSU. But, WRT Franklin, we won't know if that's a smoke screen to hide larger problems for a few years, like a HC who is a particularly poor game manager, but I digress. Yes, coaches pay for poor coaching as well as poor player talent, effort, and preparation, which rest with the players themselves.

That's pretty rich coming from someone essentially calling for people's jobs and generally bemoaning the program after a one-point loss to the preseason consensus MAC favorite.

Please also note that Yesterdays pointed us to Sagarin ratings to inform us on several topics - the same Sagarin ratings that had NU and WMU basically even before last week's game.

Please also note that Yesterdays pointed us to Sagarin ratings to inform us on several topics - the same Sagarin ratings that had NU and WMU basically even before last week's game.
Sagarin's ratings should not be used at the beginning of the season because they are weighted based on the schedule and previous results.

To accurate, which is apparently an issue since you misquoted me, I cited past season ratings, i.e., ratings from full past season results.

I also did not 'point you to them ... On several topics,' It was in regard to the relative strength of I-A and I-AA teams in 1996.

Since we are being so polite, please quote me accurately.

And poor representation by WR's - Jones and Lawrence over the past 4 years. Again, Prater and Shuler were not NU recruits out of high school, though they were coached by Springer and signed FA contracts.

Something has smelled funky with the WR's, what with the drops over the past three seasons, but I can't discern whether coaching is the problem versus talent, off-season personal skill development and preparation, all of which rests with the players. Someone will argue that the coaches are always accountable for poor play, and that's the way things usually work in college football - See Franklin's firing of coaches at PSU. But, WRT Franklin, we won't know if that's a smoke screen to hide larger problems for a few years, like a HC who is a particularly poor game manager, but I digress. Yes, coaches pay for poor coaching as well as poor player talent, effort, and preparation, which rest with the players themselves.

So wait, you are conceding that NU has had an NFL signee in 'the last five years' who was recruited out of HS by NU? That was your contention and I addressed it fully.

We haven't had quick guys since Peterman? Tony Jones was slow? Miles Shuler was slow? Jelani Roberts is slow? Stephen Buckley was slow?

I wrote quick, skilled players (like Musso, Schweigardt, Peterman...and Illinois' Mikey Dudek). Track stars with poor hands or can't catch a ball in traffic don't fit my criteria.

Rashad Lawrence, Miles Shuler, Kyle Prater, Tony Jones all spent time in NFL camp or on the practice squad. I'm probably forgetting someone, too.

Fine. Lawrence was good. TJones was OK when open but couldn't catch a contested ball and developed the drops. Prater was very skilled but slow. Shuler was a track star with poor hands. The latter two did not sign with NU out of HS but signed FA contracts after being coached by Springer. Ask those guys what they thought of Springer versus their previous coaches. All three showed notable improvement while at NU. I'd be interested in their answers.

Coverdale had no other offers? Mertz? North? Doles?

Custis (DE) also had lots of offers. I could name others. OL recruiting can be a crapshoot. I don't see stunning OL play out of these guys yet, though I liked what I saw in Dole on tape and hope they'll improve. Meanwhile, NU passes on Feeney, Karras, and Epping, who became stars for their programs. Are they better, more determined athletes than our guys or did they receive better position coaching elsewhere? I don't know.

If we are not talking about current players who 'suck,' are you talking about Vitabile, Netter, Mulroe, Burkett, or someone else? I think some of our OL have been OK, just not as good as the guys we missed on.

I agree. I like what I see in Hance and the development in Park, and I like Dole and North's potential, but we didn't even offer Feeney, Karras, or Epping, and they all were studs right in our backyard who were very much interested in NU (one was a legacy). Heck, the most naturally talented OL coming out of HS by far, IMO, plays DL for us. Is our mediocre OL play due to talent and attitude toward development, or is it due to coaching technique? I can't discern that.

Last edited:

Two losses to MAC teams at home in the last three years is a big deal. Even great MAC teams.

Why? We have already been losing to OSU (0-4), Mich (1-7), MSU (2-6), PSU (2-5) under Fitz. Not to mention no wins vs. Iowa since 2012. Our best record vs a perennial contender? A mere .500 vs Wisky. Our winning records are all against weaker Big Ten competition.

Now we are losing to MAC powers too.

Apparently you are satisfied with this.

Fine. Lawrence was good. TJones was OK when open but couldn't catch a contested ball and developed the drops. Prater was very skilled but slow. Shuler was a track star with poor hands. The latter two did not sign with NU out of HS but signed FA contracts after being coached by Springer. Ask those guys what they thought of Springer versus their previous coaches. All three showed notable improvement while at NU. I'd be interested in their answers.

Custis (DE) also had lots of offers. I could name others. OL recruiting can be a crapshoot. I don't see stunning OL play out of these guys yet, though I liked what I saw in Dole on tape and hope they'll improve. Meanwhile, NU passes on Feeney, Karras, and Epping, who became stars for their programs. Are they better, more determined athletes than our guys or did they receive better position coaching elsewhere? I don't know.

I agree. I like what I see in Hance and the development in Park, and I like Dole and North's potential, but we didn't even offer Feeney, Karras, or Epping, and they all were studs right in our backyard who were very much interested in NU (one was a legacy). Heck, the most naturally talented OL coming out of HS by far, IMO, plays DL for us. Is our mediocre OL play due to talent and attitude toward development, or is it due to coaching technique? I can't discern that.

Well you are saying that we have had WR guys signed by the NFL. We have had none on the OL since 2012 even though it's a large position group. You also admit that many of our OL had some good offers.

If you don't want to concede the coaching is an issue by several different ways of looking at it, then you have to admit there is a lot of smoke year after year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT