ADVERTISEMENT

First-half thread for NU vs. MSU

Nah, that’s on Hunter.

He had the back open for a check down. You can’t force that throw off your back foot into the wind. He’s played fairly well so far, but that decision was very costly.

I completely understand the coaching staff’s motivation to steal a few points before half while in plus territory. They gave Hunter a fail safe option in the flat, but he choose not to take.

Bummer.
How were we going to steal some points there? The chances of converting 3rd and 20 with our WRs is really really low. And trying to set up for a FG into the wind would have required even more than 20 yards. It was just a really dumb, costly play call.

Come on though. Two really dumb, yet important play calls have really made the difference in this game. First was going backwards on first and inches near the goal line. Second, was trying to pass down field on 3rd and 20 going into the wind with a minute and a half less in the half instead of running some clock and punting MSU deep. That's a 14 point turnaround, which in a game like this, might be all she wrote.

I agree those were both game changing plays! I was extremely frustrated in both cases.

But, shouldn’t you trust your OL to get it done at the goal line? Doesn’t Hunter deserve some (if not all) blame for forcing that throw?

There are times when I roll my eyes at “we failed to execute,” and there are times that is 100% correct.

The good news is that is fixable in the second half.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Come on though. Two really dumb, yet important play calls have really made the difference in this game. First was going backwards on first and inches near the goal line. Second, was trying to pass down field on 3rd and 20 going into the wind with a minute and a half less in the half instead of running some clock and punting MSU deep. That's a 14 point turnaround, which in a game like this, might be all she wrote.
Yes, I just wish he would have called the Touchdown Play on 2d and 6 inches, then on 3rd, then on 4th. I was particularly amused by the option call on 4th and goal...yep, that had a real chance.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
How were we going to steal some points there? The chances of converting 3rd and 20 with our WRs is really really low. And trying to set up for a FG into the wind would have required even more than 20 yards. It was just a really dumb, costly play call.
Agreed! Stupid play

You call the play, have the QB scan to see of you can get enough yardage for the first (or get close), then check down or throw away. It’s really not too much to ask. Hunter messed up and I’m sure he knows it.

There are some plays to made over the intermediate middle of the field in the passing game. Interested to see if the ‘Cats can take advantage in the second half.

That wind sure is a pain though...

I agree those were both game changing plays! I was extremely frustrated in both cases.

But, shouldn’t you trust your OL to get it done at the goal line? Doesn’t Hunter deserve some (if not all) blame for forcing that throw?

There are times when I roll my eyes at “we failed to execute,” and there are times that is 100% correct.

The good news is that is fixable in the second half.
It's on Fitz. As the Tv guys said, run and punt, run time off the clock and force MSU to take a timeout.

Their offense and their defense are both better than ours that's why they're winning the game it's pretty simple

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT