ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Northwestern vs. Wisconsin

Not what I said and I don’t see it that way but whatever floats your boat.
Corbi on 10/28 after the Maryland game after being asked if he would've preferred that Sullivan start that game even if Bryant had been healthy.

"No doubt. I have been on record as saying that Sullivan should have been the starter all along".

I assume that means you think Sullivan should've started today even though Bryant is now healthy. No?

What a great first half! Best football I've seen us play in a while. If the worst play of the half is an ill-advised pooch kickoff, I'll take that.

Some quick thoughts:
  • Bryant looked unbelievable sharp. Poised, accurate, seeing the field well. I love Sully's grit, but in my opinion, there should be no further questions about who is our best option at QB.
  • Porter looked the best he has all season - running with authority. Love it!
  • Defense making the Badgers offense look like Iowa's.
  • Playcalling on offense has been good - Wisconsin D seems to have no idea what is coming next.
Got to keep it going in the second half - Badgers will most likely come out and throw some counter-punches, so we have to be prepared.

Go Cats!

Oh, and the OL is playing well. Opening up just enough holes for the running backs, and creating a nice pocket for Bryant to have time to find the open receivers.

Yeah, start Sullivan and blow any chance to take this team to a bowl game. Makes sense.

I do agree with you about continuing to bring in transfers to start every year though. That has to stop.
While I don’t necessarily think Sully would “blow any chance” of taking this team a bowl game, I’m with you that Bryant gives NU the best chance to win in 2023. Even if you don’t factor today’s first half, that was pretty clear.

I think it’s important to point out this is NOT a lost season. A bowl birth would stabilize the program and provide positive momentum for Braun or the next staff on the recruiting trail….and that group will need all the help they can get with the dissolution of divisions and the arrival of the west coast universities in 2024.

Last edited:
Corbi on 10/28 after the Maryland game after being asked if he would've preferred that Sullivan start that game even if Bryant had been healthy.

"No doubt. I have been on record as saying that Sullivan should have been the starter all along".

I assume that means you think Sullivan should've started today even though Bryant is now healthy. No?
Yes, I’ve said that and still believe it Sullivan should have been the starter since last year. He hasn’t been and it’s hard to debate where the program would be now if he had been.

NU beats Iowa and Nebraska with Bryant. Simply because he gets the ball out and makes good decisions.
Maybe. But you're saying that Sullivan would blow any chance at a bowl game. He was not BAD against Iowa. He would definitely give us a chance against Purdue, Illinois, and yes, Wisconsin.

I'm not arguing that Bryant shouldn't be the starter if he's healthy.

I don’t necessarily think Sully would “blow any chance” of taking this team a bowl game, I’m with you that Bryant gives NU the best chance to win in 2023. Even if you don’t factor today’s first half, that was pretty clear.

I think it’s important to point out this is NOT a lost season. A bowl birth would stabilize the program and provide positive momentum for Braun or the next staff on the recruiting trail. And that group will need all the help they can get with the dissolution of division and the arrival the west coast universities.

You play to win the game.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Did I miss something? Is somebody else calling plays today?
Bajakian found the missing chapter of his playbook. The one that had the TD plays on it.

In the mean time the OL is playing its best game in a long time. Tiernan actually blocked two guys on the move. Quite the contrast to the guy who in combination with another OL couldn’t block one DB on a key screen play a few weeks back. The Jimmys and the Joes came to play today.

“Offense is on a roll. Nice balance between rush and pass. Defense is playing well. Complete game so far on both sides of the ball. Bryant is making a huge difference so far.”

For all the flak Anderson gets (much of it deserved), gotta give him and his position group major props after that first half performance.

The OL came to play today!

Reactions: drewjin and Go Catz
Soares sure has had a nice season.

If a Wildcat defender is making a supremely athletic play, it’s #35 or #0.

Good good stop now let’s move the ball a bit.

Great stop by our defense in the red zone. I think that takes some air out of the Badgers attempt to come back. I’d love to see our offense come back with a long drive with some points. Go Cats!

That was a little too predictable of a call on 3rd down. Looks like Bajakian misplaced that part of his playbook again...

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
It seems NU is going conservative. They can't keep giving tne badgers good field position. NU's defense will wear out.

D is keeping up the intensity. Now if only the offense can make some plays to put this one away!

Saka-Hubbard got the “meet me at the quarterback” part right, but forgot the “don’t whack me on the shoulder” part.

Big play, and I hope Hubbard’s ‘upper body injury’ isn’t serious.

I hope the Cats offense comes out passing. Obviously, the clock can’t run quickly enough, but it is still too early to go into a shell.

Reactions: NUinIowafan
Glad they got that snap off. It didn’t look like a first down to me

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT