ADVERTISEMENT

First half thread for the Big Ten title game

IMO Fitz calling TO there hurt our momentum on that series. Newsome had decent coverage, but he didn't turn around in time. He never should have been in that position. Just don't have the playmakers. Good season.

Unfortunately this game is going like most predicted it would. Offense is very underwhelming for the Cats. I don't see how NU can score another 17 points, let alone keep OSU scoreless the rest of the way.

Reactions: NUCat320
We need a fresh approach on offense. Maybe it'll come with Hunter Johnson next year.
This offense would work hopefully with the personnel we have next year (Hunter Johnson, Kirtz, and GHP).

It doesn't work with what we have now. We needed to stick to our gameplan the past 6 weeks where we had a 122 yard averaging back and played ball control/possession.

IMO Fitz calling TO there hurt our momentum on that series. Newsome had decent coverage, but he didn't turn around in time. He never should have been in that position. Just don't have the playmakers. Good season.
I really don't blame him for the TO. 3rd and 20, odds are we get a stop.

This offense would work hopefully with the personnel we have next year (Hunter Johnson, Kirtz, and GHP).

It doesn't work with what we have now.
This offense hasn’t changed since Mick arrived in 20xx

It doesn't work with what we have now.
What a joke, Iowa should be representing the West. At least the Hawkeyes could make it a game and actually crushed the Bucknuts last season.

We need a fresh approach on offense. Maybe it'll come with Hunter Johnson next year.
That's what I'm worried about. We'll have plenty of talent, and I'm afraid McCall will find ways to squander it. I feel bad for Hank and the D. They've carried this team this season but are gassed in this game because the O can't stay on the field.

Reactions: NU Houston
This offense hasn’t changed since Mick arrived in 20xx
But it has, we literally ran every first down against Iowa. We've played power run/ball control the past 6 weeks.

Why are we going away from a 700+ yard over past 6 weeks running back?

Ohio State gave up 298 yards to a running back 2 weeks ago. WTF are we doing...

We're not using our gameplan from Iowa, we're back to Michigan State/Nebraska gameplan but CT doesn't have it.

That overturned forward pass/ fumble call was BS and turned the game. No way that was incontrovertible.

Can't put any of this on the Defense. They're playing up. The Offense, not so much. Will Mick and Clayton figure something out for H2?

It doesn't work with what we have now. We needed to stick to our gameplan the past 6 weeks where we had a 122 yard averaging back and played ball control/possession.
A dual threat QB at least adds another dimension to what is a pretty limited offense. CT can run occasionally but is mostly limited.

At game. Our D Coordinator’s reliance on prevent defense is killing us. Three man rush gave OSU qb all time in world to make last td throw.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Like seriously ... what the heck happened to CT? It's like he's regressed mentally as the season went on.
I think he's working with the worst WR group in his tenure. There is NEVER anyone open and it takes them forever to even get into their cuts. He has people in his face before our WRs even make their cuts. I think Clayton has made some dumb decisions, but he just has no help out there. Whoever recruits and develops our WRs needs to go.

Reactions: kreggk
The worst part about this first half is it that it means we're going to try to force more passes and the game could get ugly.

We needed to have 15+ runs in the first half, not 7...

But it has, we literally ran every first down against Iowa. We've played power run/ball control the past 6 weeks.

Why are we going away from a 700+ yard over past 6 weeks running back?

Ohio State gave up 298 yards to a running back 2 weeks ago. WTF are we doing...

We're not using our gameplan from Iowa, we're back to Michigan State/Nebraska gameplan but CT doesn't have it.
Game plan and scheme are different things

NU clearly planned a pass-first attack. Mick doesn’t have the scheme or the athletes to get guys in space, and hasn’t really since 20xx

Reactions: zeek55
What a joke, Iowa should be representing the West. At least the Hawkeyes could make it a game and actually crushed the Bucknuts last season.
Oh no, a pig escaped the pen!

You do realize you lost to us last year, yea? And then followed it up by sucking a fat D and losing to us this year, yea? And then followed THAT up by taking it up the rear end to finish 3 games back in conference, yea?

But you're right. That exciting brand of Ioa football would do so well against this OSU squad.

That's what I'm worried about. We'll have plenty of talent, and I'm afraid McCall will find ways to squander it. I feel bad for Hank and the D. They've carried this team this season but are gassed in this game because the O can't stay on the field.
It's been an awesome season, but the offense has statistically been below average in the conference. With a 5th year senior QB. This offense just has a fairly low ceiling.

Dave Wannstedt in the half-time show basically said exactly what I've been saying here.

Why did we not try running on every first down to shorten the field and burn clock.

You win a game like this by keeping total possessions low and keeping defense off the field as long as possible. Instead we're having incompletions on every first down and it means we only had the ball 10 minutes in a half...

It's basically been the same approach.

Too many give credit to McCall when it was Persa who made something out of nothing.

Even Siemian had his moments when the shackles were off (and he was healthy enough to use his legs).

When you don't have the pass pro or the receivers, then the QB is going to have help both position groups out.

Even w/ better weapons, Johnson is going to have to be an off-schedule play-maker.

Think back to how many times we have given up first downs and/or big plays on 3rd and very long. It happens to us quite a bit. Our whole section says that everytime we get the opponent in that situation. We had them a little on their heels at that point and the TO was ill advised IMO. 17-7 is better than 24-7. Though with McCall it really makes no difference. Glad we were vanilla against Illinois and came up with this high octane look. Still a good season and let's regroup and give 'em hell in the second half.

Reactions: DrillCat
What a joke, Iowa should be representing the West.
HahhahahhahahahhahahahhahHhahahhahahahahahahhahahhAhahahhahahahahahah

But for the fact that you lost too many games

Hahahahhahahahahahhahahahshahhaahahhahahahsh

Being an Iowa fan must be the worst. Please go elsewhere.

At game. Our D Coordinator’s reliance on prevent defense is killing us. Three man rush gave OSU qb all time in world to make last td throw.
Well, with that prevent defense, we shouldn't be letting guys get by us over the top. That was on the player, not the coach.

Not necessarily. NU tends to over think our guys are capable fo playing in the moment better than the opposition.
never stop your own momentum in a drive.

Both defenses are playing well. Unfortunately Haskins is making the best of his limited opportunities.

If we can score early in the second half and increase our time of possession to keep our defense fresh the game remains winnable.

Dave Wannstedt in the half-time show basically said exactly what I've been saying here.

Why did we not try running on every first down to shorten the field and burn clock.

You win a game like this by keeping total possessions low and keeping defense off the field as long as possible. Instead we're having incompletions on every first down and it means we only had the ball 10 minutes in a half...
We ran it down Iowa's throat a few weeks ago but elected to try to compete in a track meet with Ohio State. Go figure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT