ADVERTISEMENT

Forde Nails NU

McCall fan club. Membership: Corbi

You forgot at least one other member of that club. His name is Pat Fitzgerald and his opinion counts just a smidge more than yours.

Speaking of dying on a hill, Go Bernie!

You forgot at least one other member of that club. His name is Pat Fitzgerald and his opinion counts just a smidge more than yours.

Speaking of dying on a hill, Go Bernie!
That’s a hill worth dying on!

The one thing that no one can objectively deny McCall is his ability to develop QBs. Dating back to his days at Bowling Green he has taken unheralded recruits and made them into NFL draft picks. That’s fact.

I think the case is much weaker than you assert. It is more accurate to say no one can objectively deny he’s had a number of QBs drafted. That is factual.

Development is a different matter. Hard to say we’ve seen QBs get better year over year consistently. TD / INT ratios have regularly been an issue throughout careers. Last 1st or 2nd team all big ten QB was 2010. None of those draftees have had sustained successful NFL careers. You could argue Trevor did but the whole Kubiak thesis was essentially that he had been mismanaged in college so not exactly a feather in the cap. 4 years of tutelage didn’t seem to wow the eagles this season in camp. Development issues are clear and present this year as well.

is he an above average qb coach? Yeah, sure, probably. But hard to build a case for a him being a QB development guru like you seem to anchor on. And honestly I don’t care at all about BG 15 years ago when one of the main concerns here is lack of ability and willingness to adapt and adjust to changes in the game.

I think the case is much weaker than you assert. It is more accurate to say no one can objectively deny he’s had a number of QBs drafted. That is factual.

Development is a different matter. Hard to say we’ve seen QBs get better year over year consistently. TD / INT ratios have regularly been an issue throughout careers. Last 1st or 2nd team all big ten QB was 2010. None of those draftees have had sustained successful NFL careers. You could argue Trevor did but the whole Kubiak thesis was essentially that he had been mismanaged in college so not exactly a feather in the cap. 4 years of tutelage didn’t seem to wow the eagles this season in camp. Development issues are clear and present this year as well.

is he an above average qb coach? Yeah, sure, probably. But hard to build a case for a him being a QB development guru like you seem to anchor on. And honestly I don’t care at all about BG 15 years ago when one of the main concerns here is lack of ability and willingness to adapt and adjust to changes in the game.

We need to go back 5+ years to find an example of McCall being even remotely decent. The game has changed, and he is stuck in the past, unwilling to accept it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: you don’t get paid on the past. Adapt or get fired.

Per Corbi, this was exactly the type of offense Fitz/McCall are looking for. Our running game was decent. We won the time of possession meaningfully. This should have rested our defense. This was what we wanted. This is the “complimentary” offense he/Fitz have been preaching. This gave us the best chance to win today apparently...

And I’ll add one other thought. Any decent OC who believes he is being handcuffed by the HC and not being put in a position to succeed leaves. Leaves. The fact that hasn’t happened, should speak volumes if you can shake off your biases.

They are not mutually exclusive. An efficient, opportunistic and productive offense with a dominant defense fits Fitz's ideal of complementary football. Statically speaking, that may very well translate into a "mediocre" offense. Fitz's goal is not to have an offense that tops the statistical charts. His goal is to win as many games as possible and he believes that NU's best path to that goal is to pair a dominant defense with a ball control offense.

Ball control typically means you can accumulate a few first downs...

Everything Forde said is true. Worst home loss since 1989. Fans left BEFORE halftime. If they don’t make some changes they will leave before kickoff next year.

Fans will put up with bad offense if wins are happening and the team is heading to bowl games. Bad offense and losses piling up isn’t good for selling tickets (except to opponent fans).

Reactions: IGNORE
They are not mutually exclusive. An efficient, opportunistic and productive offense with a dominant defense fits Fitz's ideal of complementary football. Statically speaking, that may very well translate into a "mediocre" offense. Fitz's goal is not to have an offense that tops the statistical charts. His goal is to win as many games as possible and he believes that NU's best path to that goal is to pair a dominant defense with a ball control offense.
NU's has averaged the 68th ranked team in time of possession over the past 7 seasons. Not a ball control offense.

Reactions: Fitz51 and mikero3

Fine, but that doesn't mean we should be ok with the #130 ranked defense in the country. It's a piss poor job period, and worthy of termination by any sane person's measure.

I think you have complaining confused with constructive criticism. Honestly tell me you didn't think it took way to long to replace Cushing. Or that you think it's just fine that our "fans " sell their tickets to the opposition. Mike is a NU fan and they need a hell of a lot more of them. I'll be waiting for your positive post tomorrow regarding our fandom, mostly dressed in Scarlet and Gray.

Even Corbi "finally" realized that Cushing had to go. It took him 10 years to realize it after most of the rest of us. But, in his book, it was only after 10 years that Cushing should have been replaced.

I wonder where Wisconsin, a flash-free ball control offense for as long as there’s been football, ranks in yards per play on average. I wonder if NU has been higher.

Wisconsin is the model that Fitz wants to follow. They’re always better at offense.

2018: 6.4 to 4.7
2017: 6.1 to 5.3
2016: 5.5 to 5.3
2015: 5.3 to 4.5
2014: 6.8 to 4.5
2013: 6.9 to 5.4
2012: 5.9 to 5.3
2011: 7.0 to 5.6

(NU last outgained Wisconsin on a per play basis in 2006.)

It’s weird that Wisconsin — with a ball control offense and universally terrible quarterback play — is always better at moving the ball. The philosophies are the same — grind em down, play mistake free, score one more than the other guy.

I don’t think ‘philosophy’ is why NU’s offense has been awful since forever.

(For what it’s worth, yards per play is a fascinating metric. In 2006, Illinois led with 5.2. Last year, that would have been 12th in the conference.)

source:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfbconferences/big-ten/2018-team-offense.html
That is a fascinating statistic. This, I imagine, is at least partly due to the fact that teams aren't allowed to play defense anymore - defenders are pulling up before hitting anyone for fear of being flagged for a foul, and if a DB so much as LOOKS at a receiver with an unpleasant expression, he gets called for pass interference. There's a lot more to it, obviously, but that's probably at least part of it.

The winning score is not the issue, it is the effectiveness of the offense to be able to put up points so that we have a chance of winning. As we have seen in recent years, Fitz has done a remarkable job winning the close games. But the offense is built in such a way that the margin of error is very narrow. Witness the Rutgers and Neb games from last year. Those are two bad teams we should've beaten comfortably with a decent offense. And look at the stumbles against Akron and ISU. I don't care if we win a game 9-7. But case in point, we were in the game against Stanford this year down only 10-7 late in the fourth quarter, and ended up losing 17-7 by going backwards and giving up a strip-sack TD. A decent offense would've helped keep the defense off the field and put up more points against a below-average Stanford team.

If you don't care, then why'd you suggest points scored as a stat of preference?

On the pre-game show just now, Urban Meyer and Glen Mason were brutally honest about the NU offense, basically saying how terrible it is. Meyer said he couldn't understand how bad it is this year compared to last year. Didn't give us a chance.

It's interesting that Meyer thought it was bad compared to last year. That suggests he doesn't think it was bad last year. I wonder what his reasoning is.

We need to go back 5+ years to find an example of McCall being even remotely decent. The game has changed, and he is stuck in the past, unwilling to accept it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: you don’t get paid on the past. Adapt or get fired.

Per Corbi, this was exactly the type of offense Fitz/McCall are looking for. Our running game was decent. We won the time of possession meaningfully. This should have rested our defense. This was what we wanted. This is the “complimentary” offense he/Fitz have been preaching. This gave us the best chance to win today apparently...

And I’ll add one other thought. Any decent OC who believes he is being handcuffed by the HC and not being put in a position to succeed leaves. Leaves. The fact that hasn’t happened, should speak volumes if you can shake off your biases.

I like McCall and feel he’s getting hung out to dry here unfairly. I posted this elsewhere but I really believe this is Fitzgerald’s fault. He wants our offense to be unimaginative and boring because he wants a conservative approach. And McCall is doing his boss’s bidding. As for leaving, why would McCall leave this close to retirement?

Reactions: drewjin
Gif bro is back. So if we win every game 2-0, no need to make any changes? Got it.
tenor.gif

I would likely stand pat after a perfect season, yes. ;)

Reactions: AtlantaCat

I never used the word guru. I acknowledge this is not an objective exercise. The way I look at it is that there are on average -10 QBs drafted in the NFL every year and over the last 15 year period McCall was the QB coach for 5 of those. It would likely have been 6 had Persa not gotten hurt. 6 of 150 or roughly 4% of draft-able QBs over a 15 year period coming from one coach. That’s pretty good.

Even Corbi "finally" realized that Cushing had to go. It took him 10 years to realize it after most of the rest of us. But, in his book, it was only after 10 years that Cushing should have been replaced.

Nice try at revisionist history. I was an advocate for a change on the OL since about 2012 and you know it. There is plenty of archived evidence to prove it. That was a clear cut problem. McCall is not.

It's interesting that Meyer thought it was bad compared to last year. That suggests he doesn't think it was bad last year. I wonder what his reasoning is.
No, it only means that the 2019 version is worse. You can't conclude he didn't think 2018 was good, just that however bad it was 2019 is worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT