ADVERTISEMENT

Future schedules question

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
I saw in the media guide that we only have 12 home games in the BIG for the next 3 seasons, while we have 15 away games. That seems like BS to me. WTH? Including 6 BIG away games in 2018 and only 3 BIG home games. Is that a misprint? 2018 we do have Notre Dame at home but that's beside the point.

I saw in the media guide that we only have 12 home games in the BIG for the next 3 seasons, while we have 15 away games. That seems like BS to me. WTH? Including 6 BIG away games in 2018 and only 3 BIG home games. Is that a misprint? 2018 we do have Notre Dame at home but that's beside the point.

I count 13 home. With 9 conference games, teams are supposed to alternate 4 and 5 home game schedules.

2016 Home Games: Neb, Indy, Wisky, Illinois
2017: PSU, Iowa, MSU, PU, Minny
2018: Mich, Neb, Wisky, Illinois
2019: MSU, OSU, Iowa, PU, Minny

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...f/2012-13/misc_non_event/future-schedules.pdf

I count 13 home. With 9 conference games, teams are supposed to alternate 4 and 5 home game schedules.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...f/2012-13/misc_non_event/future-schedules.pdf
The Media guide says we have 4 away games in a row, including Wisconsin. Gotta be a misprint.
I doubt we have any problem with sellouts in 2018, with Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois coming to town.

Following your link:
2018 Big Ten Schedule
Sept. 1—at Purdue
Sept. 29—Michigan
Oct. 6—at Michigan State
Oct. 13—Nebraska
Oct. 20—at Rutgers
Oct. 27—at Wisconsin
Nov. 10—at Iowa
Nov. 17—at Minnesota
Nov. 24—Illinois

The Media guide says we have 4 away games in a row, including Wisconsin. Gotta be a misprint.
I doubt we have any problem with sellouts in 2018, with Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois coming to town.

Following your link:
2018 Big Ten Schedule
Sept. 1—at Purdue
Sept. 29—Michigan
Oct. 6—at Michigan State
Oct. 13—Nebraska
Oct. 20—at Rutgers
Oct. 27—at Wisconsin
Nov. 10—at Iowa
Nov. 17—at Minnesota
Nov. 24—Illinois

Must be. The Big Ten says the Wisconsin game is a home game: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../2013-14/misc_non_event/2018B1GFBSchedule.pdf

By the way, Thorson will be a fifth-year senior that year and have what looks like a damn manageable schedule. Tough to say what things will be like in 2018, but we avoid really intimidating away games environments (though MSU and Iowa are always tough).

Following your link:
2018 Big Ten Schedule
Sept. 1—at Purdue
Sept. 29—Michigan
Oct. 6—at Michigan State
Oct. 13—Nebraska
Oct. 20—at Rutgers
Oct. 27—at Wisconsin
Nov. 10—at Iowa
Nov. 17—at Minnesota
Nov. 24—Illinois
Yes, except that Notre Dame will back out of this game. I would, too, if I were them.

Btw I asked this before when these future schedules first came out and didn't recall getting an answer. It seems they assigned a protected crossover game to each team, and then rotate 2 of the other 6 schools in the other division every 3 years. We got MSU as ours. Did they ever officially announce this?

It's OSU / Nebraska, Michigan / Wisconsin, NU / MSU, PSU / Iowa, Minnesota / Maryland, Rutgers / Illinois, and the already protected Purdue / Indiana.

I guess it's good respect from the Big Ten schedulers that we were marked as the 3rd (or possibly 4th?) best team in the west for these purposes. MSU is def better than PSU right now, though I suppose we'll see how much of that they are able to sustain after Cook and the current crop of Srs graduates. In any event, they are a nice barometer for us to look at - would be nice if we can make the rise they have in recent years toward consistently competing for the division / conference title.

Also keep in mind there will be no more FCS (D1AA) on the schedules. With Beckman being fired this year and the Illinois Home Games vs NU being scheduled at Soldier Field, I see their administration possibly moving them back to Memorial Stadium. Just my opinion.

Here is a suggestion. The B1G should play a 10 game conference schedule.
6 divisional games
1 protected crossover game(team changes every 4 years)
3 crossover games home and away in a 2 year period (3 teams rotate after 2 years)

I am sure the home protected game could be scheduled to coincide with the year 2 of the 3 crossover games are away, this would yield a balanced schedule of 5 home and away games

You will play every team in the conference home and away in a 4 year period. The 10th game should satisfy the mandate for a Power 5 game ,leaving 2 games for ad lib scheduling-Duke ,Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt, ND etc or MAC teams if you want to lighten the load a little(not always the case)

Getting to a bowl would be harder but the games would be better

This topic probably should be a separate thread-maybe the moderators can do that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT