ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread for NIU vs. NU

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Northwestern (1-0) hosts Northern Illinois (0-1) in the second game of the young 2022-23 season. The Wildcats opened the season with an 85-54 win over Chicago State on Monday, and look to pick up a second non-conference win tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: EagerFan
Northwestern (1-0) hosts Northern Illinois (0-1) in the second game of the young 2022-23 season. The Wildcats opened the season with an 85-54 win over Chicago State on Monday, and look to pick up a second non-conference win tonight.
Good luck 🍀

His stat line might look the best but the team will go as Buie and Audige go. The teams opportunities are created by them most of the time.
You’re right, I think. I’m not watching — I just love the idea that Beran is being assertive and leading the team (barely, Chase) in FGA.

Chase is having a bad shooting night. Berry is putting in the work to be the starter. Looking good.

I don’t think I’ve see Boo dunk before. I don’t think NIU saw that coming.

I like all the fight for the loose balls and the rebounding. That’s not normal.

Tydus doing decent, but too soft shooting. I like him clearing out the D for the layups tho.

I like them facing the trap early too. They need to know how to deal.

Audige 1-7 from the field in the first half, 0-5 from three. We need him to shoot better. Hope Beran will finally have his breakout season.

Reactions: drewjin
You’re right, I think. I’m not watching — I just love the idea that Beran is being assertive and leading the team (barely, Chase) in FGA.
Beran finishing and shooting they way he is, is promising. Playing hard defensively and on the boards. Just got screwed on a call.

Reactions: drewjin
I'm enjoying the Matt Nicholson Experience more than I expected to, and much more than I enjoy the Matt Nicholson Discourse. Maybe you can only give him 15-18 minutes per game before he fouls out, but man he's fun!
He runs the floor better and is in much much better position’s defensively and offensively this year. It’ll be interesting to see how he does against B1G centers

So far the top NU players have performed (statistically) as follows thru two games.... I left Roper off the list because he hasn't played enough yet.

PlayerPts/40EFG%Rebs/40Assts/40Blks/40Steals/40
Nicholson23.480.0%15.204.11.4
Beran21.961.1%7.52.52.51.25
Buie17.341.7%7.87.801.2
Audige11.731.3%4.97.403.7
Berry15.452.2%11.11.81.22.5
Verhoeven7.444.4%7.41.91.90
Barnhizer6.541.7%6.51.11.11.1

So far the top NU players have performed (statistically) as follows thru two games.... I left Roper off the list because he hasn't played enough yet.

Buie17.341.7%7.87.801.2
Those effective field goal percentages are scary, particularly against competition as weak as the Cats have played so far. Gonna be a rough year if Beran, Berry, Boo, and Chase have to play 32+ minutes a game all season long. Would love to see Roper in the mid-20's instead of the mid-teens and Barnhizer and Nicholson growing to closer to 20 minutes a night. The wear and tear on 35 minutes a night in the B1G is tough.

Last edited:

Buie17.341.7%7.87.801.2

Buie17.341.7%7.87.801.2

So Big Matt is clearly NU’s best player.

I would not be opposed to Audige being forbidden to shoot from behind the 3 pt line.

I am not serious but it’s a weird feeling to see him take three pointers and be convinced if he was 5 feet closer he would knock them down. And yet he does not find that more mid range spot

I'm enjoying the Matt Nicholson Experience more than I expected to, and much more than I enjoy the Matt Nicholson Discourse.

This is one of the better lines.

I'm interested to see how he progresses against strong more physical competition. I thought the Cats were a different team with him out there last night. I'm interested to see if he improves his fouling issue. I'm also wondering if his hands aren't the greatest. But it was also a good level of competition for Big Matt. He had a nice night.

The other issue is that I agree with EagerFan when he says, "Tydus doing decent, but too soft shooting." It's not a good sign when he gets the ball wide open down low and lays it up off the backboard. For a guy that size? That happened a couple times, and that's going to be ugly in the B10.

Both big guys offer some value on defense.

I'm not as optimistic as some after this game against a pretty average team so I'll limit my comments.

1) NU had a real problem containing NIU's lead guard. He wasn't exactly Johnny Davis.
2) Please excuse me if I'm not on the Berry Train. He has to give them better than 2-7 from 3. And I almost don't want him shooting those wide-open, quick pops from 3 early in the clock on a fast break. Did he miss 2 or 3 of those last night? But that's a coaching thing also.
3) I'm not sure but I think Roper took himself out last night after a short stint in the first half, and he was breathing pretty hard. I assume he's still adjusting after whatever his sickness was.

Those effective field goal percentages are scary, particularly against competition as weak as the Cats have played so far. Gonna be a rough year if Beran, Berry, Boo, and Chase have to play 32+ minutes a game all season long. Would love to see Roper in the mid-20's instead of the mid-teens and Barnhizer and Nicholson growing to closer to 20 minutes a night. The wear and tear on 35 minutes a night in the B1G is tough.

I agree that our outside shooting, other than Beran, is cause for concern. (Roper and Barnhizer get a pass due to small sample size).

However, if Beran has truly stepped up this year (signs are encouraging - he has been more aggressive and physical, admittedly against less talented competition) and Nicholson establishes himself in the post, we can score inside and maybe our offensive philosophy will switch to guys like Audige and Roper getting to the rim.

It looks like Barnhizer is viewed as Beran's backup. Thats a bit concerning. I was hoping it would be Hunger.
I'm going to hope that Collins didn't give Roper a lot of minutes last night because he had missed a couple games.

This is one of the better lines.

I'm interested to see how he progresses against strong more physical competition. I thought the Cats were a different team with him out there last night. I'm interested to see if he improves his fouling issue. I'm also wondering if his hands aren't the greatest. But it was also a good level of competition for Big Matt. He had a nice night.

The other issue is that I agree with EagerFan when he says, "Tydus doing decent, but too soft shooting." It's not a good sign when he gets the ball wide open down low and lays it up off the backboard. For a guy that size? That happened a couple times, and that's going to be ugly in the B10.

Both big guys offer some value on defense.

I'm not as optimistic as some after this game against a pretty average team so I'll limit my comments.

1) NU had a real problem containing NIU's lead guard. He wasn't exactly Johnny Davis.
2) Please excuse me if I'm not on the Berry Train. He has to give them better than 2-7 from 3. And I almost don't want him shooting those wide-open, quick pops from 3 early in the clock on a fast break. Did he miss 2 or 3 of those last night? But that's a coaching thing also.
3) I'm not sure but I think Roper took himself out last night after a short stint in the first half, and he was breathing pretty hard. I assume he's still adjusting after whatever his sickness was.
I wonder how much someone like Berry's efficiency would increase with 5-10 fewer minutes per game and how much someone like Nicholson's efficiency would decrease with 5-6 more minutes per game. Not suggesting that you substitute those minutes directly in that fashion, but the Cats overall have to be more efficient than they've been to have any success against better teams. The good news is that it appears that there has been renewed emphasis on defense, which was one of the calling cards for the tourney team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT