ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Northwestern vs. Michigan State

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I got to Welsh-Ryan a little early today and am going through the game notes. NU won the last game in the series against MSU, last season. But check out these depressing numbers over the years:

The Spartans have won 12 of the last 13 games in the series ... The Wildcats snapped a 12-game losing streak with a 79-65 win last year at home ... The Spartans have won 28 of the last 31, 35 of the last 39 and 55 of the last 60 contests ... Tom Izzo is 38-5 in his career against Northwestern.

Of course, none of that matters today. When I look at the MSU roster, I see three freshman guards that NU missed on: Max Christie, of course, as well as Pierre Brooks and Jaden Akins. It would have been nice for NU to get ONE of those guys. I thought they had the best shot at Akins.

Reactions: NUCat320
Let's win this. Nance has to be the leader, it's his time to shine.

This would be a nice one to take. Any crowd?

Pretty weak turnout. I was expecting a little more. The student sections are going to be mostly empty, as expected, because they're not back in school yet. Just before tip it looks to be about half full. But it looks like the crowd is still arriving.

Reactions: drewjin
Pretty weak turnout. I was expecting a little more. The student sections are going to be mostly empty, as expected, because they're not back in school yet. Just before tip it looks to be about half full. But it looks like the crowd is still arriving.
I believe I saw something on the Northwestern official site that said that most of the lower deck was sold out

I like an Audige under control.

Dodged a couple of bullets on MSU offensive rebounds that led to open but missed shots.

MSU radio guy just said “I have never seen a more sparse crowd for a Big Ten game.” (Obv, his call is way worse than Eanet’s.)
That’s not true. It’s pretty decent outside of the Wilson Club which is a pathetic eyesore.

It took us over 30 minutes to get into the parking lot. I expected the place to be packed. I’m surrounded by MSU fans per usual, but it’s fairly empty, especially considering the opponent.

MSU radio guy just said “I have never seen a more sparse crowd for a Big Ten game.” (Obv, his call is way worse than Eanet’s.)
NU fans are smart. You’d have to be crazy to go to an indoor event these days. Half a million new cases a day.

For those who believe we have a talent deficit vs the B1G, we got zero points from Nance and Audige combined. 2 from Buie. And yet we are up by 3.

Cats hanging onto the lead.

Maybe it’s the purple-tinted glasses, but I’m encouraged. Worth noting that MSU has played two games (12/21 and 12/29) since NU last played theirs on 12/20. Would expect the Cats to be a bit rusty.

NU fans are smart. You’d have to be crazy to go to an indoor event these days. Half a million new cases a day.

There's other forms of crazy. I decided to forego W-R in favor of Soldier Field lol.

22-3 at half.

Reactions: NUCat320
We’ve gotten the benefit of two questionable calls. I need to post Thai for later when I’m mad about the refs.
Cats playing a little loose with the ball but doing well on the d

For those who believe we have a talent deficit vs the B1G, we got zero points from Nance and Audige combined. 2 from Buie. And yet we are up by 3.
Making a conclusion like this off 2/3 of a half is not advisable, at least in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT