ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Northwestern vs. Michigan State

Young only comes in because Nance fouls out.

CC has so much faith in Beran. At this point it can only be explained by faith.

I hate Audige

Lol, so does Robbie Hummel, he’s shredding him on both sides of the floor.

He's about to make an amazing clutch shot for NU too, so we'll forgive him...briefly.

Audige losing it for us. When do we get over the hump. The number of free throw misses is just epic

Reactions: drewjin
To make things worse for Audige, who I think is a terrific defender, he overhelps on a drive, where Beran does a good job staying in front of a smaller player, and Brown makes him pay by, probably, sentencing the game from 3

• Sad
Why is it we always find a way to lose a game? It’s exasperating

Michigan state misses 3 total free throws and we miss 10. That’s the game right there

Well…. My Bengals made it back to the playoffs today. Considering the lousy teams I root for, it would have been waaay too much to ask for a Cat win too.

Reactions: lunker35
Why is it we always find a way to lose a game? It’s exasperating
Our players are never as good as the other team’s players. (I was gonna trash CCC here, but it’s been the same story for as long as I’ve been following a NU. You’d like to blame execution or coaching or something, but our guys just aren’t generally as good at shooting or defending as the other team’s guys. It sucks.)

• Sad
Reactions: willycat
Audige just kills you guys. I've only been watching some of the game while flipping back and forth with football, but I've seen 3 3 point attempts from him that didn't even draw iron and 1 attempted behind the back pass in the lane. Damn.
I think there were at least 4 Audige threes that didn't draw iron, the last of which was the worst, as well as a couple of other off-balance shots which Robbie Hummel was right to criticize. Once again Audige cost us a game. He cannot shoot the 3. period.

Our players are never as good as the other team’s players. (I was gonna trash CCC here, but it’s been the same story for as long as I’ve been following a NU. You’d like to blame execution or coaching or something, but our guys just aren’t generally as good at shooting or defending as the other team’s guys. It sucks.)
I went to NU and cut my NU Hoops teeth in the Coble, Shurna, Juice era which was a never ending parade of games and seasons where NU was definitely good enough to be in the conversation, but never actually good enough to get it done. I just expect it at this point.

This team is good enough to compete in the Big Ten. We knew that before, and we saw it again today.

This team is NOT good enough to win when shooting like garbage from everywhere on the floor. Knew there would be some rust, but was hoping it would shake off by halftime. Instead, NU stayed cold while MSU shot 6/13 from 3. Couldn’t even knock down free throws.

This team is good enough to compete in the Big Ten. We knew that before, and we saw it again today.

This team is NOT good enough to win when shooting like garbage from everywhere on the floor. Knew there would be some rust, but was hoping it would shake off by halftime. Instead, NU stayed cold while MSU shot 6/13 from 3. Couldn’t even knock down free throws.
The shooting in the first half was not great but acceptable given the quality of defense both teams were playing. The shooting in the second half was clanky as hell.

Reactions: DaCat and drewjin
Do you think that maybe playing one game in 3 weeks(and that one game was against a team without a pulse) might have something to do with the poor shooting? I do.

I’m actually encouraged by the game today after such a long layoff. If they beat Penn State on Wednesday we’ll be in good shape sitting at 2-1 in conference. That game is a must win.

Reactions: drewjin and Zootcat
Ryan Young got crushed by the refs today.
A perfect block is called a foul.
A drive to the basket where the defender fouls him turns into a flagrant foul on him.
A guy plows into his chest in the low post and he gets called for his 4th foul.
Young on the bench = NU loses.
Its the Izzo advantage.

Do you think that maybe playing one game in 3 weeks(and that one game was against a team without a pulse) might have something to do with the poor shooting? I do.

I’m actually encouraged by the game today after such a long layoff. If they beat Penn State on Wednesday we’ll be in good shape sitting at 2-1 in conference. That game is a must win.
I have a tough time feeling great about a game in which NU blew a double-digit lead.

I truly hope I’m wrong. A team worthy of the NCAA tournament should have won that game.

This team was good enough to win that game. Young got jobbed, but in a game with 64 free throws, he wasn't the only one. I'm pretty sure those refs were in a pissing match with each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT