ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Penn State vs. Northwestern

Well, when you are bad at putting the ball in the basket, you tend to lose the basketball game.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
Good game against a good opponent that the Cats could have won. All those missed free throws kept NU in the game. Cats were lucky in that regard.

I wish Collins had called the timeout.

Get some rest and make history next Saturday or Sunday (and also Thursday or Friday first).

Ok. Breathe. They are probably exhausted tonight. Don't have to be exhausted again tomorrow. Now we have up to six or seven days to rest up. Or something. I dunno. Trying to find some silver lining.

Alright well we kept it close but that was disappointing to say the least... I'm taking a sports break till selection sunday

11GMyww.gif

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
Ok. Breathe. They are probably exhausted tonight. Don't have to be exhausted again tomorrow. Now we have up to six or seven days to rest up. Or something. I dunno. Trying to find some silver lining.
This might make Shrewsberry to ND marginally more likely.

It hurts right now. We had our chances. Credit to Seth Lundy, had the three biggest shots of the night. When they needed a big shot, he got it for them.

Man, I wanted that one…but the season goes on. You learn from this, get a good week of practice in and see where we land. That’s all you can do now.

A jump ball would have nice... rather than refs looking at five hands on the ball for a few seconds, the PSU players seeing what's happening... then subsequently turning to call a timeout, which is then granted :rolleyes:

With B10 refs, we rarely get the close judgment calls in these situations

The iso Buie I don’t like , it works, but everybody sees it in the Big Ten and knows it’s coming at them would rather see the ball get passed around and make the defense actually sweat hated that we had to go to overtime. Overall, the game was good, but it is very effing frustrating losing to these chumps from state penn We are hands down better than them, but somehow they always find a way to beat us.

It hurts right now. We had our chances. Credit to Seth Lundy, had the three biggest shots of the night. When they needed a big shot, he got it for them.

Man, I wanted that one…but the season goes on. You learn from this, get a good week of practice in and see where we land. That’s all you can do now.
This is why the BTT is great when your team is in the dance already.

Win and you’re excited.
Lose and something bigger awaits.

I want NU to be the story of the first weekend.

A jump ball would have nice... rather than refs looking at five hands on the ball for a few seconds, the PSU players seeing what's happening... then subsequently turning to call a timeout, which is then granted :rolleyes:

With B10 refs, we rarely get the close judgment calls in these situations
I honestly haven’t seen a single 50/50 call go our way in a while. Similar vibes to many of our road games.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
I don't mean to pile on Chase, but he should have had better clock awareness there. 4.7 seconds left on the FT, and maybe 2 seconds pass while the ball's bouncing around. He had the perfect opportunity to set and shoot, yet he panicked and rushed it.

I don't mean to pile on Chase, but he should have had better clock awareness there. 4.7 seconds left on the FT, and maybe 2 seconds pass while the ball's bouncing around. He had the perfect opportunity to set and shoot, yet he panicked and rushed it.
after 15 missed layups in the first half it's hard to pin the loss on a desperation heave

The announcers weren’t aware that there were ten players on the floor and not just one.
The Brent Musburger School of Announcing.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
He should have. But in a game where nobody’s making shots, I sure would have liked to see a timeout and a set play.

I’ve piled on Chase before, but that one is tough. The ball was bouncing around like crazy after a missed free throw. Really hard to judge time in those circumstances. Amazing he got that on the rim.

Reactions: drewjin
The iso Buie I don’t like , it works, but everybody sees it in the Big Ten and knows it’s coming at them would rather see the ball get passed around and make the defense actually sweat hated that we had to go to overtime. Overall, the game was good, but it is very effing frustrating losing to these chumps from state penn We are hands down better than them, but somehow they always find a way to beat us.
The Boo iso play late where Beran snuck in from the weak side baseline was awesome. Gonna teach that to the middle schoolers.

This is why the BTT is great when your team is in the dance already.

Win and you’re excited.
Lose and something bigger awaits.

I want NU to be the story of the first weekend.
Not gonna happen. Zero offense means early exit.

Reactions: Eurocat
I hate to say it but, that was Very poorly played game by cats. Countless missed layups, terrible shooting and not enough ball movement. They still could’ve won the game if Lundy doesn’t hit the ridiculous step-back three pointer.

Maybe this game will help them get ready for the tournament. Gotta play better than tonight or it’s one and done.

Last edited:
I’ve piled on Chase before, but that one is tough. The ball was bouncing around like crazy after a missed free throw. Really hard to judge time in those circumstances. Amazing he got that on the rim.
I get it. Easier for me to judge while sitting on my comfy couch, replaying it over and over. Just frustrating to fall short against Penn State again.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
I get it. Easier for me to judge while sitting on my comfy couch, replaying it over and over. Just frustrating to fall short against Penn State again.
Audige was MIA for the entire game. I don't blame him for the last shot. I blame his disappearing act for the previous 64 minutes and 56 second prior to his last shot.

Nicholson owes the team an apology for his 3 foot shooting range in the first half. Stevie Wonder could have given him a run for his money. Numbing.

Was at the game, unfortunately the students were up in the nosebleeds. Not much energy in the arena and a below average turn out of NU fans. They played hard but just missed a ton of shots. Onto the tourney, this team can make a run

It would make sense to look at the coaching to explain this problem.

Nicholson owes the team an apology for his 3 foot shooting range in the first half. Stevie Wonder could have given him a run for his money. Numbing.
Nicholson was one of the few guys who played well for NU. He missed two shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT