ADVERTISEMENT

How purple was the crowd?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
I couldn't tell from the broadcast. There were certainly key moments when we could hear the Wildcat faithful, though. How many NU fans would you estimate were in attendance?

Maybe 10k Purple. Probably 20-25k red. The rest locals with tix.

I think we had around 1/3 of the total crowd. The total attendance supposedly was 47k but the crowd was below that, probably for the unseasonably cold weather and the rain throughout the game. NU was well-represented. Go Cats!

Reactions: cat inkansas
From our vantage point in the stadium (around mid field) I’d say 50/50 - 60/40 Utah at worst. The purple represented.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Yep would say about the same. NU had a better showing than I expected, my flight back to ORD is full of purple.
I think it was about even in terms of people, perhaps very slightly favoring Utah. They were louder in the first half, we were much louder in the second half. We had some pretty good “Go U NU” and “De-Fense” chants coming from the mezzanine level, it sort of echoed out of there and felt loud. It’s gratifying to start a Go U and have an immediate huge response from everyone.

Last edited:
From TV, it sounded like NU had more fans. We were certainly louder at least. You could hear let's go CATS and defense in key pivotal moments. Sounded almost like a home crowd to me on TV.
Don't know but on the radio you could clearly hear "Go Utes", even in the 3rd quarter.

I think it was about even in terms of people, perhaps very slightly favoring Utah. They were louder in the first half, we were much louder in the second half. We had some pretty good “Go U NU” and “De-Fense” chants coming from the mezzanine level, it sort of echoed out of there and felt loud. It’s gratifying to start a Go U and have an immediate huge response from everyone.
Utah had more fans there for sure, but they were silent the second half. I’d say 60/40 ish if I had to guess.

Probably 10K NU fans and 20K+ Utah. I took a lap around the stadium prior to the game and there was a large Ute crowd. Cat fans well represented, though. And once it started raining most were smart enough to get under the overhangs to stay dry.

I can see why the Chargers left. Stadium is a dump. Terrible bathrooms, narrow concourses, weak concessions. And the roof leaked everywhere.

But what a win!

3rd and 4th quarter on TV, you could hear our fans cheering loudly at all the key moments; sounded great.

I think we had around 1/3 of the total crowd. The total attendance supposedly was 47k but the crowd was below that, probably for the unseasonably cold weather and the rain throughout the game. NU was well-represented. Go Cats!

From our vantage point in the stadium (around mid field) I’d say 50/50 - 60/40 Utah at worst. The purple represented.

Agree with the above quoted.

At the start of the game I was close to the field on the Field Level. Of those wearing colors it was fairly evenly divided but the majority were not dressed in either school’s colors.

When the rain drove me and my camera to the covered areas there seemed to be more purple and definitely louder cheering for the Wildcats. (At least my original positioning made for a great location to get some dramatic parachute drop photos.)

I also noted on my visit to the Club Level to greet DrillCat, NorCal Cat, et. al. that the Purple seemed to have the upper hand.

The pregame NU Alum tailgate was packed with a sell out crowd allowing standing room only. Heading to and from the game on the Trolley System the riders were pretty evenly divided.

Last edited:
Agree with the above quoted.

At the start of the game I was close to the field on the Field Level. Of those wearing colors it was fairly evenly divided but the majority were not dressed in either school’s colors.

When the rain drove me and my camera to the covered areas there seemed to be more purple and definitely louder cheering for the Wildcats. (At least my original positioning made for a great location to get some dramatic parachute drop photos.)

I also noted on my visit to the Club Level to greet DrillCat, NorCal Cat, et. al. that the Purple seemed to have the upper hand.

The pregame NU Alum tailgate was packed with a sell out crowd allowing standing room only. Heading to and from the game on the Trolley System the riders were pretty evenly divided.
You brought a camera to the game?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Here’s a field-level clip of an NU TD that helps show the size and sound of the purple crowd. Video is shot from the other side of the field, so you’re looking at the NU side, mostly with our fans. You can hear the cheer, which wasn’t even on one of the biggest TD’s of the comeback:

Probably 10K NU fans and 20K+ Utah. I took a lap around the stadium prior to the game and there was a large Ute crowd. Cat fans well represented, though.

This is about what it seemed like to me. But it was tough to tell once the rain really started coming down and fans were moving all around to get dry.

The red side was quite loud in the first half, barely made a peep after halftime and was almost entirely empty with 3:00 left in the game.

Also, I like how SD calls their mass transit a "trolley." It was just a regular train. Before I saw it I thought I was going to be hanging off a cable car or something.

The thing I saw the most of in the stadium was empty seats
We watched the second half of the game standing under cover with a lot of NU fans. Nobody planned for rain in San Diego. So the seats looked empty. But there were a lot of purple at the game.

Reactions: rmndcat
Here’s a field-level clip of an NU TD that helps show the size and sound of the purple crowd. Video is shot from the other side of the field, so you’re looking at the NU side, mostly with our fans. You can hear the cheer, which wasn’t even on one of the biggest TD’s of the comeback:

Goosebumps when I heard the roar

Reactions: NJcatsfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT