ADVERTISEMENT

Huskies over Huskers

Tanner Lee didn'T do himself any favors, but their OL play was dreadful today. Shocking considering how well they played last year, with most of the same personnel.

Tanner Lee didn'T do himself any favors, but their OL play was dreadful today. Shocking considering how well they played last year, with most of the same personnel.

College offensive line play is inconsistent? No...

To hear some aspiring assistant coaches on this board tell it, consistent OLplay is commonplace, and our OL problem should be easy to fix, but Fitz just refuses to do it.
Fitz did choose to do something that he and his OC said was unconventional, which is mix up the OL rather than work on one familiar unit. So where you say people think it is an easy fix, most teams think OL play comes from a consistent set of guys playing together and growing into a unit. That does't sound easy but it is sure different from how Fitz has chosen to go. Personally, I think this experiment could sink the season. I hope Fitz proves me wrong and that by the Maryland game he will have a unit that according to conventional wisdom should have been named last spring.

Reactions: Smokejumper
I like Mike Riley, but I've seen no evidence that he's the caliber of coach that people imply. I was always a Beavers fan when he was at the helm because I appreciated his longevity there...but I didn't root for them because they were world beaters. I just don't think this guy still has it...if he ever did...

An AD that says he is "angry" and "frustrated" is first, a clueless idiot but also is someone that will cut the coach in a New York minute. Riley's low key style plays well with the Nebraska fans - second coming of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne - but doesn't look to be much of a motivator for the players. Look at the coaches who are being successful these days - 30 somethings with all the rah-rah. Row the boat! I think Nebraska is still living in the 70-90's and they think they are much better than they really are. Ala Notre Dame. Look at all these so-called second tier teams that are beating name programs. There is enough talent out there plus second tier schools can more easily take, let's say, less academically focused players than the Nebraska's of the world.

An AD that says he is "angry" and "frustrated" is first, a clueless idiot but also is someone that will cut the coach in a New York minute. Riley's low key style plays well with the Nebraska fans - second coming of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne - but doesn't look to be much of a motivator for the players. Look at the coaches who are being successful these days - 30 somethings with all the rah-rah. Row the boat! I think Nebraska is still living in the 70-90's and they think they are much better than they really are. Ala Notre Dame. Look at all these so-called second tier teams that are beating name programs. There is enough talent out there plus second tier schools can more easily take, let's say, less academically focused players than the Nebraska's of the world.

I don't think Nebby academic requirements are stringent at all.

Fitz did choose to do something that he and his OC said was unconventional, which is mix up the OL rather than work on one familiar unit. So where you say people think it is an easy fix, most teams think OL play comes from a consistent set of guys playing together and growing into a unit. That does't sound easy but it is sure different from how Fitz has chosen to go. Personally, I think this experiment could sink the season. I hope Fitz proves me wrong and that by the Maryland game he will have a unit that according to conventional wisdom should have been named last spring.

I hope he has it together before the Maryland game, or we'll be 0-2 in the B1G at that point.

I hope he has it together before the Maryland game, or we'll be 0-2 in the B1G at that point.
We may well be 0-2 in the B1G even if the line is coming together. It looks like Wisconsin and PSU are the best teams on the schedule. I would not be too disappointed if we lost to them and then won out. In fact we could still be the West Division champions if Wisconsin stumbled down the road.
My point is that conventional wisdom says it takes time for a OL to gel, if true that gelling will happen over time and while I hope it happens before Maryland, it is more important that it happen eventually. As the level of the competition cools down in the later part of our season the improvement to the OL will eventually surface. The sooner the better.

Reactions: Inovacat
I like Mike Riley, but I've seen no evidence that he's the caliber of coach that people imply. I was always a Beavers fan when he was at the helm because I appreciated his longevity there...but I didn't root for them because they were world beaters. I just don't think this guy still has it...if he ever did...
I like Mike Riley as well and would like him to succeed at Nebby. He is a good guy but didn't last long as the Chargers hc and had only a modicum of success returning to Oregon State when Oregon dominated the annual Civil War game between the two schools. I think he is a better qb coach and OC than he is a head coach. Maybe he is a little too laid back. He just got a year extension recently to his contract though the Nebby AD expressed his displeasure with Riley and the team after the loss to NIU. I think NIU looked very solid on the road and deserved the win.

As an aside, San Diego State defeated #19 Stanford yesterday at home in a good game and as a result land in the top 25. The Aztecs earlier defeated Arizona State on the road so it was their 2nd win against a PAC-12 team this season. Now the Aztecs (and the Holiday Bowl) need a new stadium with the future of Qualcomm Stadium in question.

Cats fans might even hold their noses and root for Penn State to knock off the Hawkeyes this week.

No reason for that...all things considered, I'd rather us lose to a powerhouse Penn State team or beat a powerhouse Penn State team...them losing doesn't move the needle significantly enough for Iowa this year.

To hear some aspiring assistant coaches on this board tell it, consistent OLplay is commonplace, and our OL problem should be easy to fix, but Fitz just refuses to do it.

Mike, I appreciate fandom and positivity. But I don't recall anybody saying that. I'm confident that you do, because I know you'd never say that somebody said something like that if they didn't. So do you recall who that was?

I recall people saying that the OL has underperformed for years and that one of our best Ol during that time who got an NFL sniff was told that that his technique was terrible. I recall a player's family member saying that when an OL changes position, the guidance given is "get mad and win the battle" or some such tripe. I recall people saying that we get negative recruited against at the OL positions for these and other reasons. And of course, i recall virtually everyone here (even GCG) saying it may be time for Cushing to go.

But I don't recall anybody saying that fixing a large problem like this was easy or that it could be fixed overnight or that Fitz just refuses to do it. It seems you do. Who was it that said that and when?

Last edited:
Mike, I appreciate fandom and positivity. But I don't recall anybody saying that. I'm confident that you do, because I know you'd never say that somebody said something like that if they didn't. So do you recall who that was?

I recall people saying that the OL has underperformed for years and that one of our best Ol during that time who got an NFL sniff was told that that his technique was terrible. I recall a player's family member saying that when an OL changes position, the guidance given is "get mad and win the battle" or some such tripe. I recall people saying that we get negative recruited against at the OL positions for these and other reasons. And of course, i recall virtually everyone here (even GCG) saying it may be time for Cushing to go.

But I don't recall anybody saying that fixing a large problem like this was easy or that it could be fixed overnight or that Fitz just refuses to do it. It seems you do. Who was it that said that and when?

Dude, there was an entire thread with posters stating precisely what I claimed they stated. Doubt you missed it since you hate Cushing. https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/same-old-same-old.33542/#post-444316

I'm aware there were lots of threads about the OL and Cushing. But we all know that. So help an old man out and shown me where someone ays what you said they said.

I don't hate anyone, by the way.

OK, then you dislike Cushing? It seems to be a singular obsession of yours on these boards.

And I am not going to do more work for you; I provided you an entire thread in which multiple posts stating the same thing I stated are present; you can match the specific posts to what I said if you desire.

And there are people who routinely troll these boards to make ridiculous posts such as what I have stated, and worse. Most of them plague this board after bad losses and mysteriously disappear after wins. If you don't realize that by now, I don't know what to tell you

More work? You've done no work at all. You said that people said certain things. I asked you to back it up. You won't - Other than to point to a thread which may or may not back you up. That's nothing.

Mike, be honest and just admit that you exaggerated and stretched other people's comments to a ridiculous and illogical extreme (which is the same thing lots of people do here, and therefore makes you no better or more righteous than anybody else) and be done with it.

More work? You've done no work at all. You said that people said certain things. I asked you to back it up. You won't - Other than to point to a thread which may or may not back you up. That's nothing.

Mike, be honest and just admit that you exaggerated and stretched other people's comments to a ridiculous and illogical extreme (which is the same thing lots of people do here, and therefore makes you no better or more righteous than anybody else) and be done with it.

Dude, don't know what your issue is, gave you an entire thread where there were multiple posts that stated the same thing I stated. Not going to search every other thread for the same posts just to please you; you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with this Fire Cushing topic for some reason, and I am not going to feed into that-- simply have more important things to do. Best of luck to you in your quest to have Cushing fired, obviously it means a lot to you!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT