ADVERTISEMENT

Is the AllState arena NU's BEST option, REALLY???

FeliSilvestris

Oct 22, 2004
Planet Earth
I think this hasn't been discussed in the other facilities thread. Are we REALLY sure that the All-State Arena is the right/best choice for NU BkB during the WRA reno year?

There are some other options that have some advantages over All-State. Two of them are:

The Gentile Arena at Loyola is a relatively modern (1996) recently renovated (2011) arena. It has the very obvious advantage of being only about FOUR MILES from the NU Evanston campus. It is also easily accessible via EL, which makes it relatively easy to get to for those living in most parts of the city of Chicago, proper, and some nearby communities. It also has an equally obvious disadvantage: 4,500 seats. Considering that most who would go to a game at WRA probably would still go to the GA (and it may be more convenient for some), it seems the Arena would be sold out through the entire season. Money could be lost because of lack of seats, but some of it could be recovered through higher ticket prices.
788_View_from_Section_207_at_Gentile_Center.jpg

Another very attractive option is the UIC Pavillion, just West of the Loop, and easily accessible via EL, which means moderately easy to get to from Evanston, and relatively easy to get to from most parts of the city. Its capacity of about 7,000 is probably adequate for an off-campus location.
UIC-Pavilion-Arena-Basketball-Setup1.jpg

It seems that either of these facilities (especially UIC) would be a superior solution to the AA. What do you think?

Last edited:
What is the purpose of all this hindsight? It doesn't matter now. The decisions have been made. Live with it.

Maybe they looked into those but scheduling turned out to be a nightmare. Those venues likely host more than just their men's basketball games. Plus, who wants to play in a gym with Loyola or UIC written all over it?

Don't you think that NU has plenty of time before the start of next season to change course, if it indeed believes its students and fans would be better off? Most contracts have "escape clauses" for such purposes.

Escape clauses with major buyouts. No thanks. Again, this is water under the bridge. Don't you have a puppy in need of kicking somewhere in your home?

Those schools would have to permit our use of the arenas. Given that they all have men's and women's basketball teams, volleyball, wrestling, concerts and I'm sure other obligations, there probably weren't 18-20 dates available in concert with the Big Ten's scheduling needs.

I'm not thrilled about Allstate, but I'm pretty confident they did a thorough investigation and came out with what they thought was the best option.

Reactions: NJCat and Styre
Loyola would be ideal for the early non-conference creampuff games. It wouldn't fly for the Big Ten games.

I like the UIC Pavilion more than Allstate (much better place to watch a basketball game), but I'm guessing most season ticket holders wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of going downtown.

Maybe they looked into those but scheduling turned out to be a nightmare. Those venues likely host more than just their men's basketball games. Plus, who wants to play in a gym with Loyola or UIC written all over it?

Jinx!

Reactions: TheC
Don't you think that NU has plenty of time before the start of next season to change course, if it indeed believes its students and fans would be better off? Most contracts have "escape clauses" for such purposes.

All the investments have been made. No sense looking back. Look forward and appreciate the strides made by the program and the Department.

I am pretty sure those schools would actually love the added exposure of having Big Ten basketball on campus. They of course would be materially compensated for the use of their facilities, but I suspect that would be the lesser part of the compensation. Imagine a game with Big Ten championship implications between NU and Michigan, Purdue or Wisconsin? They would absolutely love it, and would be as accommodating as possible, within reason. There are at most 2 NU BkB home games a week (possibly one or none) through the season, and each needs the arena for a few hours. Heck, they may even try double-headers to take advantage of the B1G exposure. They would LOVE IT.

Last edited:
I think this hasn't been discussed in the other facilities thread. Are we REALLY sure that the All-State Arena is the right/best choice for NU BkB during the WRA reno year?

There are some other options that have some advantages over All-State. Two of them are:

The Gentile Arena at Loyola is a relatively modern (1996) recently renovated (2011) arena. It has the very obvious advantage of being only about FOUR MILES from the NU Evanston campus. It is also easily accessible via EL, which makes it relatively easy to get to for those living in most parts of the city of Chicago, proper, and some nearby communities. It also has an equally obvious disadvantage: 4,500 seats. Considering that most who would go to a game at WRA probably would still go to the GA (and it may be more convenient for some), it seems the Arena would be sold out through the entire season. Money could be lost because of lack of seats, but some of it could be recovered through higher ticket prices.

Another very attractive option is the UIC Pavillion, just West of the Loop, and easily accessible via EL, which means moderately easy to get to from Evanston, and relatively easy to get to from most parts of the city. Its capacity of about 7,000 is probably adequate for an off-campus location.

It seems that either of these facilities (especially UIC) would be a superior solution to the AA. What do you think?

I think it's weird that you have a fascination for crapping on everything the NU program does, and even weirder still that people on here always seem to take the bait.

I think it's weird that you have a fascination for crapping on everything the NU program does, and even weirder still that people on here always seem to take the bait.
I always forget who the trolls are and who is just saying something stupid at random. We all have our moments of random stupidity.

Those schools would have to permit our use of the arenas. Given that they all have men's and women's basketball teams, volleyball, wrestling, concerts and I'm sure other obligations, there probably weren't 18-20 dates available in concert with the Big Ten's scheduling needs.

I'm not thrilled about Allstate, but I'm pretty confident they did a thorough investigation and came out with what they thought was the best option.

This. I suspect that Allstate was the only practical option, and by far the easiest with DePaul leaving. If they could have used the Pavilion, or the new South Loop arena, or whatever, without making significant concessions, then I'd wonder what they were thinking, but I doubt they'd ask us to trek to that dump in Rosemont if they didn't have to.

I am pretty sure those schools would actually love the added exposure of having Big Ten basketball on campus. They of course would be materially compensated for the use of their facilities, but I suspect that would be the lesser part of the compensation. Imagine a game with Big Ten championship implications between NU and Michigan, Purdue or Wisconsin? They would absolutely love it, and would be as accommodating as possible, within reason. There are at most 2 NU BkB home games a week (possibly one or none) through the season, and each needs the arena for a few hours. Heck, they may even try double-headers to take advantage of the B1G exposure. They would LOVE IT.

One more, and then I'm done with this, because it's really not worth the debate.

A college game doesn't just take "a few hours." Each team does a walk through, a shoot around and a practice the day before and the day of a game. Remember the mini-controversy when we couldn't do it in Columbus this year due to a concert? Our game presentation people will need to get all of the graphics, signage and ads (ESPN and BTN have obligations of what has to be visible in the arena during a game). It's not just show up and play like we're at Rucker Park.

Allstate is a true multipurpose arena. Their staff is expert at quick turnovers and working out logistics. That's not part of the Gentile Center'a folks' job description. Selfishly, I'd love to ride a couple train stops and be there rather than dealing with Rosemont, but it's not worth this much spilled ink.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
A college game doesn't just take "a few hours." Each team does a walk through, a shoot around and a practice the day before and the day of a game.
Does what you described involve more than a few hours? A few hours would be something like 2-4. The game itself normally lasts less than 2 hours.
Anyhow, as I indicated we are talking about normally only 1 (and not more than 2) HOME games a week. And they'd have months to get the logistics straight, even hiring a special crew to handle certain tasks, if necessary (there is a lot of money in B1G BkB, a lot compared to the amount of money involved in this sort of things).
This CAN be arranged. The only obvious downside of the GA is the limited seating capacity, which may or may not be acceptable (who knows how many will actually show up at the AA, anyway). A split between the GA and the UIC Pav (for bigger games) would likely be FAR SUPERIOR to the AA.

It's one season. Who gives a sh
It's a critical season, because it would be fav if the program can build some momentum and perhaps make a B1G crown run followed by a S16 or better NCAA showing. Playing most home games at an absolutely packed GA just a few miles from campus, with the bigger games at UIC (relatively easy to get to) could possibly be an important ingredient towards building that momentum.

IF I WAS CCC I WOULD INSIST ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does what you described involve more than a few hours? A few hours would be something like 2-4. The game itself normally lasts less than 2 hours.
Anyhow, as I indicated we are talking about normally only 1 (and not more than 2) HOME games a week. And they'd have months to get the logistics straight, even hiring a special crew to handle certain tasks, if necessary (there is a lot of money in B1G BkB, a lot compared to the amount of money involved in this sort of things).
This CAN be arranged. The only obvious downside of the GA is the limited seating capacity, which may or may not be acceptable (who knows how many will actually show up at the AA, anyway). A split between the GA and the UIC Pav (for bigger games) would likely be FAR SUPERIOR to the AA.

Feli can keep the debate going on what's a few hours until April.....even if he has debate with himself

Yes, it takes up to two days.

Also, as a matter of fact, during noncon, there can be 3 home games in a week. And games tend to take more than two hours, but that's just piddling.

Occam's razor, man. If they didn't choose to play there, the simplest explanation is that something(s) made Allstate a better option, or that Gentile/UIC weren't options at all. I know this is all your jam and I'll leave you to it. Peace.

If they didn't choose to play there, the simplest explanation is that something(s) made Allstate a better option, or that Gentile/UIC weren't options at all.
Yeah, like they've never made a mistake in their lives, or ever start making, right?
Sometimes people do make mistakes...even very bright ones who don't often do it, do do it occasionally. And it may well be that choosing the AA is simply a mistake...fortunately, one that can possibly be fixed before next season starts.

Loyola's Arena's capacity shouldn't be a problem with the administration and many on this board, since it only seats a few thousand less then the somewhat new W-R..

Availability might be an issue with both of those locations and for a lot of people those are not viable to get to.

It's a critical season, because it would be fav if the program can build some momentum and perhaps make a B1G crown run followed by a S16 or better NCAA showing. Playing most home games at an absolutely packed GA just a few miles from campus, with the bigger games at UIC (relatively easy to get to) could possibly be an important ingredient towards building that momentum.

IF I WAS CCC I WOULD INSIST ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But you aren't and I doubt you can coach either

Availability might be an issue with both of those locations and for a lot of people those are not viable to get to.

As already indicated, NU would only play ONE HOME game per week (on average). The school involved would also play one men's BkB home game per week on average. So, they would have to coordinate the gym's use so that it is available for TWO men's BkB games per week, on average. Non-revenue sports that may need their gym would be scheduled around the men's BkB games (as they probably are now, except they would have ONE extra men's BkB game per week to worry about, NU's).

You can bet that the schools involved would bend over backward to accommodate NU BkB, if asked. They'd have much to gain, not only b/c of the money they'd get for facility use, but for the EXPOSURE. B1G BkB is a HUGE thing in the Midwest, especially compared to small-conference BkB which Loyola and UIC play. They'd get mentions in B1G broadcasts as well as in major national nets broadcasts when they pick up NU's games. The may even get a national network transmitting a game directly from their campus!! You can bet they would highly appreciate that extra exposure. It may even help their own recruiting!

As already indicated, NU would only play ONE HOME game per week (on average). The school involved would also play one men's BkB home game per week on average. So, they would have to coordinate the gym's use so that it is available for TWO men's BkB games per week, on average. Non-revenue sports that may need their gym would be scheduled around the men's BkB games (as they probably are now, except they would have ONE extra men's BkB game per week to worry about, NU's).

You can bet that the schools involved would bend over backward to accommodate NU BkB, if asked. They'd have much to gain, not only b/c of the money they'd get for facility use, but for the EXPOSURE. B1G BkB is a HUGE thing in the Midwest, especially compared to small-conference BkB which Loyola and UIC play. They'd get mentions in B1G broadcasts as well as in major national nets broadcasts when they pick up NU's games. The may even get a national network transmitting a game directly from their campus!! You can bet they would highly appreciate that extra exposure. It may even help their own recruiting!
Not quite that easy. Plenty of other sports also use those facilities such as WBB, Volleyball or whatever and since many events tend to happen on weekends a lot gets squeezed into two days. NU Women BB and VB need a venue as well. Also, most MBB week day games were on Weds or THurs so if the other conference games on same days, every thing crammed not into 7 days but 4. Scheduling gets impossible real quickly. And your other alternative going between different venues would be a nightmare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT