ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk Wisconsin

Jonny2TheP

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2007
Des Moines, IA
For such a big game this upcoming Saturday, there sure hasn't been much talk about the game itself. Maybe that's because we looked so bad in the win at Rutgers, but the reality is that this is a huge game with major West Division implications.

Wisconsin is the king of the West, and is a good football team, but this is not the Wisconsin of past years. They are favored, and should be, but I think the Cats have a legitimate shot in this one. I expect us to be able to move the ball due to the amount of injuries to the Wisconsin defense, especially in the secondary, which sets up a good matchup for our short passing game. As is often the case, it will be incredibly important to finish drives with TD's and not turn the ball over (I know, shocker). And if we can have any sort of running game (I'm talking just 75-100 yards), that will be big. We can't have another game where we have less than 50 (or only 8) rushing yards.

On the other side of the ball, with Wisconsin it always starts with stopping the run. They have a stable of great backs, led by Taylor, but Taiwan Deal is a real nice back as well. For me, the key is limiting the big running plays and our linebackers being disciplined for when the playaction pass comes. As good as our LB's can be, they can be over-aggressive at times, and that's when you get burned over the top on playaction. And that's what killed us last year during that big 3rd quarter in Madison (a Wisconsin defensive TD didn't hurt either). Wisconsin, to their credit, also has a nice group of WR's that we'll have to limit as well.

This is a very winnable game, but it will take an effort like we had in East Lansing. I don't put this in the same category with some of those times in the last 10 years where Wisconsin was too good and didn't seem beatable. Play a good game, and we could move to a 5-1 in the conference by late Saturday.

I am feeling confident about this game. Wisconsin is down a bit and we match up fairly well with them. I think the team bounces back with a strong performance and delivers a win on Saturday.

I am feeling confident about this game. Wisconsin is down a bit and we match up fairly well with them. I think the team bounces back with a strong performance and delivers a win on Saturday.

I wish the Cats were going in with closer to a full deck. The depleted running back and linebacker groups are worrisome, as is the thin interior O-line. I think each of these position groups either buckle or break Saturday, so I am a little pessimistic.

Reactions: ricko654321
I've only watched Wisconsin's two losses, so I might be a bit too optimistic, but there are some obvious deficiencies on this Wisconsin team compared to the past couple of years.

First, Wisconsin is still a good team, but their defense overall has taken a couple of steps back. Their secondary looks inexperienced and can leave openings downfield; their defensive line has dealt with injuries and isn't as strong as in years past. Their front 7 also aren't quite as good at tackling as years past. They aren't as aggressive as they were in years past at blitzing (obviously can't be when you are worried about coverage). They're more bend but not break.

There'll be opportunities for us to generate a running game: Bowser might find yardage after contact if he can fight past defenders like he did against Rutgers (yes Wisconsin has a much better defense than Rutgers but nowhere near as lockdown as it has been in years past). Nagel should have chances to stretch the field like he did against Nebraska.

Offensively for Wisconsin, Taylor gets his 100+ yards, but we have to make sure it takes him the whole game to get there. Hornibrook is less consistent than he should be; he hasn't had any performances as strong as his best 3-4 games last year (like his game against Miami), and we need to make sure we keep it that way. A defensive effort like we've had most of the season can keep them in check.

Wisconsin is good, but not the team of past years that wears your defense down and locks up your offense and then runs you over. They're beatable if CT puts up a good clean game, and we get some yardage on the ground.

If we keep up our pattern of playing up to good opponents, we can win a close game in the mid-20s.

And if we can have any sort of running game (I'm talking just 75-100 yards), that will be big.

Removing Thorson, we had 64 vs Michigan, 18 at Michigan State, and 39 vs Nebraska. I'd set Saturday's target at 60. Just enough to loosen the secondary for a 50-pass attempt kind of day.

They're beatable if CT puts up a good clean game, and we get some yardage on the ground.

Clayton will either make or break us. If he is off, misses passes and turns the ball over, we have no chance. If he plays like he did against Neb, we have a great chance to win.

Reactions: Figrating and NJCat
Weather forecast? I heard Weds prediction for Sat rain before kickoff and later after the game should be over. Anyone hear anything different? I hope the rain misses the game- theory/our passing game would benefit?

Weather forecast? I heard Weds prediction for Sat rain before kickoff and later after the game should be over. Anyone hear anything different? I hope the rain misses the game- theory/our passing game would benefit?
Forecast improved today.

I wish the Cats were going in with closer to a full deck. The depleted running back and linebacker groups are worrisome, as is the thin interior O-line. I think each of these position groups either buckle or break Saturday, so I am a little pessimistic.

Hoping for a couple of surprise returns on Saturday; my gut tells me Fitz held out a couple of guys with this game in mind.

The Badger QB can be messed with, and except for a few impressive performances such as last year's Orange Bowl, Alex Hornibrook doesn't usually have to win the game, just not give it away.

Alex Hornibrook & RB leader vs. Northwestern
2016 11/19 92 yds. 0 TD 0 Int. C. Clement 32 carries 106 yds 1 TD Final W 21 NU 7
2017 11/20 197 yds 1 TD 2 Int. J. Taylor 19 carries 80 yds 2 TD Final W 33 NU 24

I believe our D and Coach Hankewicz can get Hornibrook to do his Hornibrook drive killing things. Managing the Badger running game is a must, as always.

Hopefully the NU offensive leaders can do better than in 2016 with JJTBC 42 yds in a 21-7 loss at home. (W 10-7 lead at half). Thorson was 28/52 277 yds 1 TD 0 Int QBR 33.3
and better than 2017 stat leaders Larkin's 37 yds and Nagel's 52 yds from last year's turnover ridden loss at Camp Randall (NU 10-7 lead at half). Thorson was 29/45 219 yds. 3 TD 2 Int. QBR 44.8

This is the signature game Thorson needs to have at this point in his season/career. Of course he could always improve on it every week for the rest of the season.
I really look forward to the Badger vs. 'Cats game. NU is 6-6 since 2000.

Our run d has been horrendous I am apprehensive about winning this game.
I don't think I would consider our run D to be horrendous. Here's our performance this year:

Non-QB stats only
Purdue - 18 for 185. Includes two big plays, the Rondale Moore 77yd TD and a 45 yard rush. Obviously as Purdue showed against OSU, they're very capable of explosive plays.
Duke - 32 for 86. Run defense was fine here. Only explosive play was a 25yd QB run on a drive that went nowhere
Akron - 20 for 73. One play over 20 yards, QB added 15 for 37yds.
Michigan - 35 for 149. Not a great game, but not horrendous. One big play for 30yds by Higdon plus QB went 7 for 31 in some big spots
MSU - 17 for 85. Other than the 48yd jet sweep by Davis, a great day for the run D.
Nebraska - 33 for 199. This was horrendous. Ozigbo ran where he wanted most of the day plus Martinez had some big runs.
Rutgers - 23 for 112. Includes the one explosive play 44yd TD by Pacheco. Otherwise a good day.

So really, other than the Nebraska game, our run defense has been solid with the exception of getting burned on two jet sweeps and a few big runs. Not quite as good as last year, but we've always been susceptible to the jet sweep. Don't forget that we've had to deal with mobile QBs in almost every game this year, which we are definitely weaker against than pro-style QBs like Hornibrook. I think the D comes to play on Saturday and limits the Badgers to a reasonable amount like we've done the past 3 years.

2015: 17 for 32
2016: 50 for 219 (includes 46yd jet sweep)
2017: 33 for 120

I can’t watch live or fly in due to an all-day prenatal class (the hospital screwed us unfortunately), so to quote footballphil: you all are on your own.

My honest take: injuries or not, We’d better win. If not, we’re out of the championship race yet again and Fitz will need to make major offseason changes to stay relevant in the Big Ten. I love Fitz but am frankly tired of him blaming the players and the fans as he did in his last press conference. If it’s a loss, he’ll need to look in the mirror and assess his entire offensive staff after 10 years of continuity of offensive mediocrity and never coming close to “the promised land”. This is that big of a game.

Win, and we’re in the driver’s seat for a chance at the Rose Bowl. A trip to Indianapolis and/or a convincing win over ND are the only things that should save McCall’s job.

For such a big game this upcoming Saturday, there sure hasn't been much talk about the game itself. Maybe that's because we looked so bad in the win at Rutgers, but the reality is that this is a huge game with major West Division implications.

Wisconsin is the king of the West, and is a good football team, but this is not the Wisconsin of past years. They are favored, and should be, but I think the Cats have a legitimate shot in this one. I expect us to be able to move the ball due to the amount of injuries to the Wisconsin defense, especially in the secondary, which sets up a good matchup for our short passing game. As is often the case, it will be incredibly important to finish drives with TD's and not turn the ball over (I know, shocker). And if we can have any sort of running game (I'm talking just 75-100 yards), that will be big. We can't have another game where we have less than 50 (or only 8) rushing yards.

On the other side of the ball, with Wisconsin it always starts with stopping the run. They have a stable of great backs, led by Taylor, but Taiwan Deal is a real nice back as well. For me, the key is limiting the big running plays and our linebackers being disciplined for when the playaction pass comes. As good as our LB's can be, they can be over-aggressive at times, and that's when you get burned over the top on playaction. And that's what killed us last year during that big 3rd quarter in Madison (a Wisconsin defensive TD didn't hurt either). Wisconsin, to their credit, also has a nice group of WR's that we'll have to limit as well.

This is a very winnable game, but it will take an effort like we had in East Lansing. I don't put this in the same category with some of those times in the last 10 years where Wisconsin was too good and didn't seem beatable. Play a good game, and we could move to a 5-1 in the conference by late Saturday.
It's possible. We tend to match up well with them, we are better suited to them than most of the other West opponents. Because we are pretty strong up front, we can contain their running game most years (not shut down, except that one time in Madison). If we can contain their running game, we can get them into occasional 3rd and long situations, where we can hopefully force Horni to beat us, which he tends to struggle doing.

On the offensive side of the ball, we can't run, but if we can get any sort of protection their secondary and LBs in space is something that we can potentially move the ball on. Will be difficult obviously to sustain drives given the potential for negative plays due to the weakness of our OL vs their D front, but if Clayton plays well, it's doable.

So them being a favorite makes sense. But we match up reasonable well. If we play well, and Horni is his usual self, it should be interesting.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
We certainly match up much better vs. Wisky than vs. Iowa, imo. Think this will hinge on how much of their secondary, which is really decimated by injury, will return vs. us. Three (yes three) of their safeties and a starting corner are questionable, and one of the backup corners is already out. If none of those players play, I can't see them being able to hold off our passing attack. If all return, I think it swings the other way and we are a decided underdog.

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/20...uries-olive-sagapolu-dcota-dixon-northwestern

I'm often surprised at some negative comments about Fitz. He's brought us to an entire new level, and we're clearly in the top third in terms of B1G wins during his tenure. Yet, we get comments like "..never coming close to the promised land." I beg to differ. We've had two years where we've been close. I have no doubt that if he wanted to go elsewhere, just about everyone would take him. And he's done what he's done while only being able to recruit perhaps 25% of the top players due to academic requirements.

He's not perfect. And I'm fine with holding him accountable, especially with regards to the Oline. But the reason I often don't post is I'm tired of hyperbole. Just see the "special place" email by CatDad. It's clear that there's a lot we don't know that impacts the players and games.

Every team is hurting right now. Just need to have depth! All about being prepared!

It's possible. We tend to match up well with them, we are better suited to them than most of the other West opponents. Because we are pretty strong up front, we can contain their running game most years (not shut down, except that one time in Madison). If we can contain their running game, we can get them into occasional 3rd and long situations, where we can hopefully force Horni to beat us, which he tends to struggle doing.

On the offensive side of the ball, we can't run, but if we can get any sort of protection their secondary and LBs in space is something that we can potentially move the ball on. Will be difficult obviously to sustain drives given the potential for negative plays due to the weakness of our OL vs their D front, but if Clayton plays well, it's doable.

So them being a favorite makes sense. But we match up reasonable well. If we play well, and Horni is his usual self, it should be interesting.
We can run the ball fine! Bruiser Browser!

We certainly match up much better vs. Wisky than vs. Iowa, imo. Think this will hinge on how much of their secondary, which is really decimated by injury, will return vs. us. Three (yes three) of their safeties and a starting corner are questionable, and one of the backup corners is already out. If none of those players play, I can't see them being able to hold off our passing attack. If all return, I think it swings the other way and we are a decided underdog.

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/20...uries-olive-sagapolu-dcota-dixon-northwestern
Their line is banged up too; 2nd+ stringers mostly at this point. We'll get our chances.

Just need to come out firing on all cylinders on offense; wear them down; put up some points.

Heck, all 5 opponents that Wisconsin played 2017 and 2018 have scored more this year than last year.

We put up 24 last year, let's hope that trend continues and we hit 27+.

I don’t think Wisconsin is as good this as in years past, but I also don’t think this is the worst NU team in the CT era.

If I am the defensive coaches I’m doing everything I can to keep their running game in check (under 200yds rushing would be a big win against them) and hope Hornibrook has an off game.

Obviously our offense is extremely inconsistent so all you can really do is hope the good Thorson shows up and moves the chains. Hopefully McCall incorporates some inside power running with Bowser into the game plan as that could force them out of their 3-4 base if effective and open up the passing game for Thorson. If you recall Justin Jackson never had any success against this defense because those edge runs he was so good at were difficult to block against a good 3-4 Defense.

Reactions: BigCatCT
I don’t think Wisconsin is as good this as in years past, but I also don’t think this is the worst NU team in the CT era.

If I am the defensive coaches I’m doing everything I can to keep their running game in check (under 200yds rushing would be a big win against them) and hope Hornibrook has an off game.

Obviously our offense is extremely inconsistent so all you can really do is hope the good Thorson shows up and moves the chains. Hopefully McCall incorporates some inside power running with Bowser into the game plan as that could force them out of their 3-4 base if effective and open up the passing game for Thorson. If you recall Justin Jackson never had any success against this defense because those edge runs he was so good at were difficult to block against a good 3-4 Defense.
Could probably also argue that this Wisconsin defense is significantly worse against the run giving up 5.1 yards per attempt than the ones JJ faced which gave up 3.1-3.6 yards per rushing attempt.

I think we have to give Bowser at least a dozen attempts; he might be able to gain some yardage with the bruiser/power style he plays (given Wisconsin's front 7 has been worse at tackling); might also help wear down the defense over the course of the game.

I'm often surprised at some negative comments about Fitz. He's brought us to an entire new level, and we're clearly in the top third in terms of B1G wins during his tenure. Yet, we get comments like "..never coming close to the promised land." I beg to differ. We've had two years where we've been close. I have no doubt that if he wanted to go elsewhere, just about everyone would take him. And he's done what he's done while only being able to recruit perhaps 25% of the top players due to academic requirements.

He's not perfect. And I'm fine with holding him accountable, especially with regards to the Oline. But the reason I often don't post is I'm tired of hyperbole. Just see the "special place" email by CatDad. It's clear that there's a lot we don't know that impacts the players and games.
I’m tired of a lot of things as well. I know more than most as I was on the team as a PWO many years ago, had injuries and quit while I was ahead. While his treatment of Jango has been exceptional, his throwing Thorson / the OL under the bus and never questioning his coaches is appalling. If he’s going to keep blaming players & fans, he needs to first look in the mirror.

After reading those interview quotes: frankly he’s getting paid millions, so it’s time to Put up or shut up Fitz. Somehow our “25% pool of recruits” has resulted in great defenses since Hankwitz joined, yet our offense typically sucks under McCall. The difference is coaching & development. Somehow Stanford pulls it off, and as a result Shaw is a much hotter commodity than Fitz. We have never been in contention for Indianapolis in November under Fitz - which is my definition of “not close” - and if we beat Wisconsin that will finally change. If we lose, it’s another race for second place.

I have more honest thoughts and have shared them on the Rock. But Fitz needs to put on his big boy millionaire pants and win a championship instead of blasting his players and fans when the team’s offensive gameplan typically sucks. Barnett & Walker both did it with less resources & parity than Fitz has had, so let’s go win a damn championship.

I’m tired of a lot of things as well. I know more than most as I was on the team as a PWO many years ago, had injuries and quit while I was ahead. While his treatment of Jango has been exceptional, his throwing Thorson / the OL under the bus and never questioning his coaches is appalling. If he’s going to keep blaming players & fans, he needs to first look in the mirror.

After reading those interview quotes: frankly he’s getting paid millions, so it’s time to Put up or shut up Fitz. Somehow our “25% pool of recruits” has resulted in great defenses since Hankwitz joined, yet our offense typically sucks under McCall. The difference is coaching & development. Somehow Stanford pulls it off, and as a result Shaw is a much hotter commodity than Fitz. We have never been in contention for Indianapolis in November under Fitz - which is my definition of “not close” - and if we beat Wisconsin that will finally change. If we lose, it’s another race for second place.

I have more honest thoughts and have shared them on the Rock. But Fitz needs to put on his big boy millionaire pants and win a championship instead of blasting his players and fans when the team’s offensive gameplan typically sucks. Barnett & Walker both did it with less resources & parity than Fitz has had, so let’s go win a damn championship.

To be fair, Walker did it with the resources that Barnett gave him. But, yeah, I agree with everything else you said.

To be fair, Walker did it with the resources that Barnett gave him. But, yeah, I agree with everything else you said.
Walker had us practicing on the same busted AstroTurf that I believe Barnett’s crews had, behind Welsh-Ryan arena; not a state-of-the-art $250M facility. The stadium was upgraded thanks to Pat Ryan & crew which may have helped Walk a bit, but my point was that Fitz has done less with more than both Barnett & Walker had as we haven’t sniffed a championship. They both also beat ranked Wisconsin teams during championship seasons. So it’s time for Fitz to stop trying to have snappy interviews that blast players, and win a B1G championship as it’s wide open.

Hope that clarifies.

Generally at this time of the year I do not see CT having two bad games in a row. If weather is decent, I see him having a big game

Walker had us practicing on the same busted AstroTurf that I believe Barnett’s crews had, behind Welsh-Ryan arena; not a state-of-the-art $250M facility. The stadium was upgraded thanks to Pat Ryan & crew which may have helped Walk a bit, but my point was that Fitz has done less with more than both Barnett & Walker had as we haven’t sniffed a championship. They both also beat ranked Wisconsin teams during championship seasons. So it’s time for Fitz to stop trying to have snappy interviews that blast players, and win a B1G championship as it’s wide open.

Hope that clarifies.

In total agreement. My only point was that Walker had the benefit of top 25 ranked classes that Barnett brought in. If Fitz had talent like that, perhaps, he could have won a title. But, yes, with everything that Northwestern has today in terms of facilities, administration support, recent history, yeah, Fitz has done the least with the most at least when it comes to championships.

Look at Friday's forecast . Generally weather takes longer to get here than predicted

I can’t watch live or fly in due to an all-day prenatal class (the hospital screwed us unfortunately), so to quote footballphil: you all are on your own.

My honest take: injuries or not, We’d better win. If not, we’re out of the championship race yet again and Fitz will need to make major offseason changes to stay relevant in the Big Ten. I love Fitz but am frankly tired of him blaming the players and the fans as he did in his last press conference. If it’s a loss, he’ll need to look in the mirror and assess his entire offensive staff after 10 years of continuity of offensive mediocrity and never coming close to “the promised land”. This is that big of a game.

Win, and we’re in the driver’s seat for a chance at the Rose Bowl. A trip to Indianapolis and/or a convincing win over ND are the only things that should save McCall’s job.
I do not have the same problem with McCall that you do. Other than Cushing works for him, he has been hampered with a below average OL and this year with the loss of a running game and has had to adjust on the fly. There are a couple more dynamic OCs out there (PU and NEB may have a couple but how much is the HC) Otherwise, McCall is at least on par with most other OCs in the BIG. Others have a lot more talent to work with and unless your new OC brings that with him.....

Now OL coach is a different matter. For example, how would WIS O look without that OL? How about OSU or PSU Os look without all that talent?

Last edited:
I don't want to talk Wisconsin. They terrify me. I just want to go to the game, hold my breath for three quarters and pray we pull it out. This goes back at least to 2000, when sitting in the stands at Wisconsin watching us get beaten badly, suddenly we weren't. Somehow we won. I remember a Wisconsin fan sitting nearby saying, "They're gonna win it." That's what I will be waiting for on Saturday.

Which more than half the teams in the BIG would take in a heartbeat. We are restricted in who we can recruit and the top players we can go after are also pursued by a ton of other teams. He has put together a heck of a record including a better than 500 BIG record with winning BIG records in 6 and if things go well 7 of his 13 years here Do you have any idea how much of an accomplishment that i? None of his predecessors got close (at lest not since the40s.)

That is not to I would not like to see championships. We all would. But for now I will enjoy what we have which is a solid program without any real off the field issues so prevalent at other programs that consistently does better than the talent would dictate. That is not saying that there are not a couple areas that could be improved. But every program can say that.

Hope that clarifies.
Barnett I can agree with you as what he did was magical but until this year, what tremendous advantage has Fitz had that Walker did not? And every other team in the BIG has added to what they have. And one could argue that Taj Fitz would not be here if Fitz was not. And it has not been here till this year. So going forward, yes Fitz will have more than Walker had but up to now it has been pretty similar (still way behind the rest of the league). And if you want to say Walker was better because of the single championship that is great to have but was one of the most overated ever (6-2 three way tie not playing OSU, etc and he did it with a lot of Barnett recruits and so much luck involved)then I do not know what to say. He has had two seasons that at least equal that 6-2 record and he has had 3 10-3 overall records.

Is he perfect? Absolutely not. But there are a lot of teams that would take him in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
In total agreement. My only point was that Walker had the benefit of top 25 ranked classes that Barnett brought in. If Fitz had talent like that, perhaps, he could have won a title. But, yes, with everything that Northwestern has today in terms of facilities, administration support, recent history, yeah, Fitz has done the least with the most at least when it comes to championships.
Those facilities have not been here till this year. And he has equaled or exceeded everything Walker did. You could argue that he does not have the Championship that Walker brought us and I would counter that it is great to have but it was one of the most overrated championships in that it was a three way tie with a 6-2 record where we did not face OSU and had plenty of fluky endings. Plus Fitz has gotten us to a 6-2 and a 7-2 record at least equaling what Walker did. Plus he has gotten us to 3 10-3 records and bowl wins, so overall I would say he has at least equaled Walker.

I do not have the same problem with McCall that you do. Other than Cushing works for him, he has been hampered with a below average OL and this year with the loss of a running game and has had to adjust on the fly. There are a couple more dynamic OCs out there (PU and NEB may have a couple but how much is the HC) Otherwise, McCall is at least on par with most other OCs in the BIG. Others have a lot more talent to work with and unless your new OC brings that with him.....

Now OL coach is a different matter. For example, how would WIS O look without that OL? How about OSU or PSU Os look without all that talent?
Lots to respond to in this and your other posts. I agree that we’re lucky to have Fitz, but I sense a lot of arrogance in his most recent comments and frankly that last interview T’d me off. He is also lucky to have us: if he were at one of the B1G or other conference’s powers (e.g. Michigan) he likely would have been on the hot seat or even fired after the 2013 / 2014 seasons where he missed bowls despite sky-high projections and lots of returning starters. He talks about competing for championships but we simply haven’t under him. I want him to stop blaming the players & fans and realize he has it pretty damn good in Evanston and needs to make changes if he doesn’t get to that level with his all-time wins leader at QB.

I agree that OL coaching has been a major program and didn’t want to beat that into the ground again (already have provided potential solutions on the Rock). But McCall’s playcalling, particularly from Duke-Michigan, hasn’t helped matters. Rutgers was poorly called as well. He’s had 11 seasons and he still uses the same boring formations and very little imagination or creativity compared to other college football offenses that I’ve seen this year. Did we lose a major talent in Larkin? Yes, but unless we’ve had major talent in the backfield he’s never been able to run the ball. I don’t think we’ve ever had a top 40 scoring offense under him.

Also, McCall has had 11 seasons: while Fitz makes the ultimate call, I have to imagine that if McCall was telling him every season that’s Cushing wasn’t cutting it then a change would have been made. Either McCall doesn’t realize his OL coach is subpar - which is incompetence - or he likes having a worse coach to avoid the heat himself - which is weakness.

Regardless, I’m tired that we have basically a MAC offense and he needs to prove he can truly compete at the highest level by helping to beat Wisconsin - instead of just relying on our stellar defense - and continuing the march on to Indianapolis.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Barnett I can agree with you as what he did was magical but until this year, what tremendous advantage has Fitz had that Walker did not? And every other team in the BIG has added to what they have. And one could argue that Taj Fitz would not be here if Fitz was not. And it has not been here till this year. So going forward, yes Fitz will have more than Walker had but up to now it has been pretty similar (still way behind the rest of the league). And if you want to say Walker was better because of the single championship that is great to have but was one of the most overated ever (6-2 three way tie not playing OSU, etc and he did it with a lot of Barnett recruits and so much luck involved)then I do not know what to say. He has had two seasons that at least equal that 6-2 record and he has had 3 10-3 overall records.

Is he perfect? Absolutely not. But there are a lot of teams that would take him in a heartbeat.
Again, yes I am a huge fan of Fitz, but he should also realize he has a pretty special & cushy role in Evanston. He has had more budget for assistant pay than Walker ever had yet refuses to upgrade his offensive coaches (aside from Ayeni). If the alumni are willing to build a $250M facility in his honor, they should be willing continue boosting salaries to upgrade our offensive coaching.

If Walker had a decent DC we could have won another championship in 2005 - that offense was really special. And even though he had Barnett’s recruits, he helped change the face of college football by bringing the spread to the Big Ten and then winning the co-championship.

Again, I love Fitz and hope he does keep his job for life as long as he keeps his integrity and keeps growing as a head coach. But he needs to stop blaming players & fans when his offensive staff has been lackluster for years. If he brings us to the Rose Bowl I’ll happily eat crow, but if not he’ll have had 13 years and never brought us to the promised land... similar to (gulp) Carmody.

If Walker had a decent DC we could have won another championship in 2005 - that offense was really special. And even though he had Barnett’s recruits, he helped change the face of college football by bringing the spread to the Big Ten and then winning the co-championship.
Still baffled by the Jerry Brown for Greg Colby move. Whatever the unhappiness, what we got with Colby was abysmal.

Yes, Walker had Barnett recruits in 2000. There were some key pieces that were Walker recruits. Not to take away from any of the Barnett recruits who stayed, Zak Kustok and Jon Schweighardt came in under Coach Walker.

Still baffled by the Jerry Brown for Greg Colby move. Whatever the unhappiness, what we got with Colby was abysmal.

Yes, Walker had Barnett recruits in 2000. There were some key pieces that were Walker recruits. Not to take away from any of the Barnett recruits who stayed, Zak Kustok and Jon Schweighardt came in under Coach Walker.
And Kustock likely would not have been here except for Barnett

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Again, yes I am a huge fan of Fitz, but he should also realize he has a pretty special & cushy role in Evanston. He has had more budget for assistant pay than Walker ever had yet refuses to upgrade his offensive coaches (aside from Ayeni). If the alumni are willing to build a $250M facility in his honor, they should be willing continue boosting salaries to upgrade our offensive coaching.

Again, I love Fitz and hope he does keep his job for life as long as he keeps his integrity and keeps growing as a head coach. But he needs to stop blaming players & fans when his offensive staff has been lackluster for years. If he brings us to the Rose Bowl I’ll happily eat crow, but if not he’ll have had 13 years and never brought us to the promised land... similar to (gulp) Carmody.
We really do not know what the budget is for assistants. Is it higher than Walker? In actual dollars yes but everything is more expensive. How does it compare with the rest of the league? And we are a higher cost of living than other schools. I mean, OSU has a couple P5 HCs working as coordinators with Million $ salaries and they were not even the ones chosen to be interim HC. Mich and PSU are likely similar. There are not many defenders for Cushing but the rest seem to be reasonably talented coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT