ADVERTISEMENT

Mick McCall is gone

Here is the press release from the NU Football site.

Mick McCall Will Not Return As Northwestern Offensive Coordinator

EVANSTON, Ill. – Northwestern Wildcats offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mick McCall will not return for the 2020 season, Dan & Susan Jones Family Head Football Coach Pat Fitzgerald announced Sunday.

"Mick was one of the first hires I made when given the honor of leading this program, and has been a trusted colleague and loyal friend for almost my entire tenure," said Fitzgerald. "He's guided our offense through unquestionably one of the most successful periods in Wildcats history, with four bowl championships and nine postseason appearances. Mick recruited and coached great student-athletes and exceptional young men who have made the Northwestern community proud in so many ways after graduation."

McCall's 12 years in Evanston included the tutelage of six All-Big Ten quarterbacks, three of whom went on to play in the National Football League.

"I'm proud of what we accomplished at Northwestern, and the success I've contributed to throughout my career," said McCall. "It's been a privilege to represent this University, and work alongside some of the best student-athletes, coaches and staff I've encountered in my career. I'll forever be indebted to Pat Fitzgerald and Jim Phillips for giving me this opportunity. A piece of my family and me will always belong to Evanston and Chicago."

Over the last several seasons, the Northwestern offense produced the most prolific quarterback and running back in program history, as Clayton Thorson finished his career with records for passing yards, completions, passing touchdowns and wins, and Justin Jackson sits atop the record book with 5,440 rushing yards, 6,298 all-purpose yards and 41 rushing touchdowns. Jackson also was one of five Academic All-Americans on the offensive side of the ball during McCall's tenure, a group that features 2016 Big Ten Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year Austin Carr.

McCall's offense also introduced the superback position to college football, a meeting room that produced Big Ten Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year Drake Dunsmore, as well as current pros Dan Vitale and Garrett Dickerson.

McCall joined the Northwestern family after five seasons at Bowling Green State University, where he mentored All-Americans Josh Harris (2003) and Omar Jacobs (2004) after collegiate stops at Wyoming, Oregon State and Idaho State. His coaching career began in 1979 at his alma mater, Southern Colorado, where he was a two-time All-Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference quarterback and lettered in basketball.

https://nusports.com/news/2019/12/1...rn-as-northwestern-offensive-coordinator.aspx

Here is the press release from the NU Football site.

Mick McCall Will Not Return As Northwestern Offensive Coordinator

EVANSTON, Ill. – Northwestern Wildcats offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mick McCall will not return for the 2020 season, Dan & Susan Jones Family Head Football Coach Pat Fitzgerald announced Sunday.

"Mick was one of the first hires I made when given the honor of leading this program, and has been a trusted colleague and loyal friend for almost my entire tenure," said Fitzgerald. "He's guided our offense through unquestionably one of the most successful periods in Wildcats history, with four bowl championships and nine postseason appearances. Mick recruited and coached great student-athletes and exceptional young men who have made the Northwestern community proud in so many ways after graduation."

McCall's 12 years in Evanston included the tutelage of six All-Big Ten quarterbacks, three of whom went on to play in the National Football League.

"I'm proud of what we accomplished at Northwestern, and the success I've contributed to throughout my career," said McCall. "It's been a privilege to represent this University, and work alongside some of the best student-athletes, coaches and staff I've encountered in my career. I'll forever be indebted to Pat Fitzgerald and Jim Phillips for giving me this opportunity. A piece of my family and me will always belong to Evanston and Chicago."

Over the last several seasons, the Northwestern offense produced the most prolific quarterback and running back in program history, as Clayton Thorson finished his career with records for passing yards, completions, passing touchdowns and wins, and Justin Jackson sits atop the record book with 5,440 rushing yards, 6,298 all-purpose yards and 41 rushing touchdowns. Jackson also was one of five Academic All-Americans on the offensive side of the ball during McCall's tenure, a group that features 2016 Big Ten Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year Austin Carr.

McCall's offense also introduced the superback position to college football, a meeting room that produced Big Ten Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year Drake Dunsmore, as well as current pros Dan Vitale and Garrett Dickerson.

McCall joined the Northwestern family after five seasons at Bowling Green State University, where he mentored All-Americans Josh Harris (2003) and Omar Jacobs (2004) after collegiate stops at Wyoming, Oregon State and Idaho State. His coaching career began in 1979 at his alma mater, Southern Colorado, where he was a two-time All-Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference quarterback and lettered in basketball.

https://nusports.com/news/2019/12/1...rn-as-northwestern-offensive-coordinator.aspx

A fine send off.

Reactions: ricko654321
I’m not going to celebrate a good man losing his job. Mick McCall was part of a lot of success here, for better or worse, and represented the program, his players, and the school well. That said, it’s definitely time to move on and strive for better.

Thanks for the Ws, Mick, and best of luck moving forward. Excited for the program to get some new blood and try a new direction.

So no mention of retirement. Seems like this is an outright firing. Very surprising. I wonder how much of a factor the Atkinson situation played into this decision.

So no mention of retirement. Seems like this is an outright firing. Very surprising. I wonder how much of a factor the Atkinson situation played into this decision.

I thought retirement might happen as well, but read my other response to you in the other thread; there was a lot of heat for this from people whose voices are listened to.

Reactions: corbi296
I’m not going to celebrate a good man losing his job. Mick McCall was part of a lot of success here, for better or worse, and represented the program, his players, and the school well. That said, it’s definitely time to move on and strive for better.

Thanks for the Ws, Mick, and best of luck moving forward. Excited for the program to get some new blood and try a new direction.

My sentiments exactly. Well said.

Thank God! He maybe a good guy, but it really doesn't matter. It Should have happened long ago, but winning close games and Fitz loyalty hid his many shortcomings. Stats maybe for losers, but do tell a great deal about the offense since he has been here. And our anemic offensive Stats were never on his side.

Reactions: nugnrfan82

I agree 100% - I had a distinct feeling that this would happen and am neither celebrating this news nor that I was right. It’s never funny or positive to see someone lose their job - particularly before the holidays - and he did the best he could during his time in Evanston.

Good luck Coach McCall in all your future endeavors. Your 2012 offense proved that a dual QB system can work under the right circumstances, and you developed three QBs for the pros in eleven seasons - a very rare feat at NU.

Why surprising? Even Dave Revesine indicated this was an obvious and needed firing.

I agree 100% - I had a distinct feeling that this would happen and am neither celebrating this news nor that I was right. It’s never funny or positive to see someone lose their job - particularly before the holidays - and he did the best he could during his time in Evanston.

Good luck Coach McCall in all your future endeavors. Your 2012 offense proved that a dual QB system can work under the right circumstances, and you developed three QBs for the pros in eleven seasons - a very rare feat at NU.

Look, I understand why everyone wants to be diplomatic. I agree that in general I don’t want to root for anyone to get fired.

At the same time, accountability matters. Players don’t get to see the field if they don’t perform. In many professions, people don’t get to remain in a high-level position just because other people carry them.

Mick has overseen an underperforming offense for years. He didn’t prepare many of his QBs this year. At its worst, that can put young men at greater risk of injury — see Hunter getting blasted on multiple occasions. Did he do the “best he could” while here? Maybe... but I saw very little evidence of innovation.

I wish him all the best on a personal level. But on a professional level, this was deserved.

Last edited:

great post.

Look, I understand why everyone wants to be diplomatic. I agree that in general I don’t want to root for anyone to get fired.

At the same time, accountability matters. Players don’t get to see the field if they don’t perform. In many professions, people don’t get to remain in a high-level position just because other people carry them.

Mick has overseen an underperforming offense for years. He didn’t prepare many of his QBs this year. At its worst, that can put young men at greater risk of injury — see Hunter getting blasted on multiple occasions. Did he do the “best he could” while here? Maybe... but I saw very little evidence of innovation.

I wish him all the best on a personal level. But on a professional level, this was deserved.

i think the overall tenor of the thread is exactly this.

Some people just aren’t very innovative in anything they do. Don’t you work or know anyone who is just average at their job? There’s nothing inherently wrong with being average in most careers; but most of us aren’t paid a small fortune like B1G coordinators are.

His offense worked just well enough for us to set wins records and our OL always received the blame. Once we hired Anderson, it was clear where the issue was.

To get to the next level, we need someone who will give us a strategic advantage at OC. We’ll see what Fitz does - he should have a much larger budget to hire than he did in 2008.

Some people just aren’t very innovative in anything they do. Don’t you work or know anyone who is just average at their job? There’s nothing inherently wrong with being average in most careers; but most of us aren’t paid a small fortune like B1G coordinators are.

His offense worked just well enough for us to set wins records and our OL always received the blame. Once we hired Anderson, it was clear where the issue was.

To get to the next level, we need someone who will give us a strategic advantage at OC. We’ll see what Fitz does - he should have a much larger budget to hire than he did in 2008.

Yes, I 100% agree.

Fitz is a defense guy through and through. He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it. If NU is serious, they will pay the same as the big boys for an OC like Canada or someone similar.

Coach Hank deserves a nice bump in his salary too.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Screenshot-1835-718x490.png

Good Luck Mick... thanks for the memories!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT