ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota/Purdue: What happened?

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Outside of a quick glance that made TCF Field look like it was a location shot for a remake of the movie Airport, I saw nothing of the game. Did anyone see it, and if so, were the teams just in the wrong jerseys, or what?

Bad weather and Purdue came out totally flat.

Dunno if there's any real reason for it beyond a similar effect Illinois' coaching change brought out against Minnesota earlier.

Both fired their DCs and then had a good defensive effort the following week. Hard to read more into it.

Minnesota is not good.

Dunno if there's any real reason for it beyond a similar effect Illinois' coaching change brought out against Minnesota earlier.

Both fired their DCs and then had a good defensive effort the following week. Hard to read more into it.

Minnesota is not good.
Purdue plays sideways. Doesn't work in the snow. Got to run the ball

Reactions: hdhntr1

Minnesota is not good.

Their defense hasn't been good most of the year, but they have some legit players on offense. If the Cats come out flat following the emotional high of clinching the B1G West it could be a much more interesting game than we'd like.

Reactions: drewjin and zeek55
Purdue plays sideways. Doesn't work in the snow. Got to run the ball
Excellent point. I was in the same snow fall, just a couple miles away, and it never occurred to me that this win was because of the snow. I just thought the Gophers had somehow returned from the dead. Although, maybe they have, also?

The forecast calls for no precipitation, but slightly colder than what we just faced in Iowa City. Maybe with the 11am start some sun will help.

Reactions: Noah121
2 possible positives. One obviously is that their beating Purdue helped us clinch yesterday instead of having to win one more. The second is that it should make the Cats take notice and not think they will sleepwalk into Minneapolis and come out with a win.

I really hope that the title clincher serves more to give us focus and confidence on going upward from here, making every game count, and not just coasting into the title game.

Wouldn’t discount the possibility Brohm spent the week negotiating with Louisville, who waited to fire Petrino until Purdue was officially eliminated.

Hope not...but it seems logical.

Wouldn’t discount the possibility Brohm spent the week negotiating with Louisville, who waited to fire Petrino until Purdue was officially eliminated.

There is speculation, which of course you should take with a pound of salt, that the players already figured Brohm to Louisville is a foregone conclusion and were demoralized.

Gotta stay focused. Two wins and it’s a warm weather bowl game on the 1st!

Purdue has risen vertically under Brohm's coaching from the moment he arrived. He is a formidable competitor and I would be glad to see Purdue lose him. Unlikely the next guy is as good.

The forecast calls for no precipitation, but slightly colder than what we just faced in Iowa City. Maybe with the 11am start some sun will help.
It will probably be up around 20 or 21 by game time, and is supposed to be sunny, Only issue is it has been windy up here since the cold came a week ago. With the sun may come wind, and that will be cold. The stadium is open on the west end. However, Thorson completed the pass to Skowronek at 6pm under the stadium lights in 19 degree temps, so he should be fine (we hope).

Purdue has risen vertically under Brohm's coaching from the moment he arrived. He is a formidable competitor and I would be glad to see Purdue lose him. Unlikely the next guy is as good.
That would be a shame if he were to leave Purdue. Sort of.

Of course, remember last year when Minnesota annihilated the team prior to Northwestern and then in the week to follow, the Gophers got clobbered against the 'Cats.

Just as long as this week's game isn't walls of rain with cold temperatures like last year. I'll be in the Twin Cities for the game!

Minnesota is not good.
And then IL gave up more than50 the next week. Hopefully MN does the same

Reactions: Noah121

Minnesota is not good.

But, we were told that getting rid of coaches in the middle of the season doesn't help. Boy, were we fooled.

Minnesotas offense has been lethal ever since Tanner Morgan replaced Annexstad at QB. This will be a much more difficult game than a year ago when the Cats went up against a guy who couldnt complete a pass. I firmly expect Minnesota to score 30+ in this game especially given the injuries in the secondary.

I didnt watch the Purdue game, but the Boilers dont strike me as a great cold weather team. Blough is having a great year, but I dont think he has the arm to play in cold and wind.

Long story short this is a game Thorson is going to need show up for in order to win.

Reactions: drewjin
But, we were told that getting rid of coaches in the middle of the season doesn't help. Boy, were we fooled.

The intelligent posters among us were not "fooled".

One game. Doesn't help most teams one bit. Lovie is just the latest example where a coach departure helped zero.

List all of those great college football teams where there was a coaching change midseason. I'll wait...

You get a C- on this troll attempt, btw. Fire the coaches!

Given the postgame comments of both coaches, unicorn game is my vote.

Hope it was a unicorn game.

Perhaps then a double horned unicorn game?

IMG_6501_zpskkjydfpw.jpg
IMG_6506_zpsfymbymu0.jpg

Minnesotas offense has been lethal ever since Tanner Morgan replaced Annexstad at QB. This will be a much more difficult game than a year ago when the Cats went up against a guy who couldnt complete a pass. I firmly expect Minnesota to score 30+ in this game especially given the injuries in the secondary.

I didnt watch the Purdue game, but the Boilers dont strike me as a great cold weather team. Blough is having a great year, but I dont think he has the arm to play in cold and wind.

Long story short this is a game Thorson is going to need show up for in order to win.
Give up 30 points? NU would have to turn the ball over 3 times or more for that to happen. NU can lose to anyone if they don’t focus, but Minny is just a bad team this year. I firmly believe you are incorrect.

Reactions: mikewebb68
This game doesnt really matter. Rest everyone who has any ailment. Rest Nate Hall till Dec 1. Let's not be naive. Maybe let Marty or Smith start at QB.

Give up 30 points? NU would have to turn the ball over 3 times or more for that to happen. NU can lose to anyone if they don’t focus, but Minny is just a bad team this year. I firmly believe you are incorrect.
We are capable of turning the ball over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT