ADVERTISEMENT

NU LANDS QB TRANSFER RYAN HILINSKI

The various recruiting reports about him note Hilinski is a quick study that can learn a complex offense easily; if he picks up the playbook fast as one would expect, there's no reason he wouldn't start if he's the best option to win now and in the future.

Careful. That's exactly what they said about Hunter.

Careful. That's exactly what they said about Hunter.
There was a lot more going on with Hunter back in 2019, and our offense didn't work with any QB in 2019 outside of a handful of games.

Hopefully things are a lot smoother for Hilinski; I wouldn't compare the situations given the OC change and all the other stuff that happened with Hunter.

I think we're all hoping Ryan's transition looks a lot more like Peyton's...

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
The knock on Ryan is that he's not that mobile. Are we talking like compared to Kolter or Persa? He seems to be more like a ultra-more-talented Siemian?? Either way, I think he will excel for us

Don't hate me for saying it, but he reminds me of (a much more talented) Zack Oliver - basically the guy we thought we were getting when we recruited Oliver.

Cannon arm, not very mobile. Difference is ability to read defenses, throw on the run, and the touch on passes.

Reactions: corbi296
IF, and it's a big if, he does actually increase his mobility, it won't really matter, because it will be an incremental increase at best
He may not be as mobile as Payton but he is bigger and should get a little more push on short down situations.
Getting sacked isn't merely a function of not being able to evade the rush. If he has the arm, he can over throw the ball away in the direction of a receiver.

Don't hate me for saying it, but he reminds me of (a much more talented) Zack Oliver - basically the guy we thought we were getting when we recruited Oliver.

Cannon arm, not very mobile. Difference is ability to read defenses, throw on the run, and the touch on passes.

The offer lists are, um, just slightly different.

Same "type" of player, maybe, but completely different "quality" player.

Careful with that axe, Eugene.

I've been saying that to the little Smellies since they were toddlers. Neither are named Eugene. Nor have they ever held axes.

Look, Hilinski, Ramsey, Oliver, Persa, Colter, Hunter, whoever...if they have talent to play Big 10 QB and...

1) Aren't running for their lives behind a porous line
AND
2) Have a good grip on the playbook
AND
3) Have receivers who can do their job
AND
4) Get significant playing time to do more than hand off

then they can be successful at NU.

HJ may have struggled with all four in 2019. Ramsey had the benefit of all four in 2020. Let's hope whoever wins the job has the benefit of at least three, if not all four, in 2021.

The offer lists are, um, just slightly different.

Same "type" of player, maybe, but completely different "quality" player.

Absolutely - trying to show the closest "type" of player he is. Big difference in talent.

Not really. Mostly what I heard was that he spun a really nice ball. He did not have the game body of work that Hilinski has: 412 passes vs. 26.
Yeah I do think it's fair to say we know a fair bit more about Hilinski based on his 2019 season. Most of what we knew about Hunter was about him as a recruit or what Clemson staff had to say about him in practices.

Difference is, now hopefully we will actually have an OL that is a plus

I really appreciate your response.

Hilinski wears 3 to honor his late brother. Means exactly nothing with respect to Jefferson.

Fitz: “Well, I don’t know guys, he likes to wear 3 and we already have a guy that has that number. Not sure we can take him.”

Reactions: NU Houston
There was a lot more going on with Hunter back in 2019, and our offense didn't work with any QB in 2019 outside of a handful of games.

Hopefully things are a lot smoother for Hilinski; I wouldn't compare the situations given the OC change and all the other stuff that happened with Hunter.

I think we're all hoping Ryan's transition looks a lot more like Peyton's...

Well, I don't disagree with that. Which is why I don't think I would count Hunter out just yet either.

And of course, I am hoping Ryan's transition looks a lot more like Peyton's too.

I just think it's funny that everyone is ready to ordain Hilinski, who was 3rd string at South Carolina, not Clemson, and not behind QBs named Trevor Lawrence and Kelly Bryant (but rather QBs that weren't nearly as good or accomplished named Colin Hill and Luke Doty) as the automatic starter after what we experienced with Hunter.

Well, I don't disagree with that. Which is why I don't think I would count Hunter out just yet either.

And of course, I am hoping Ryan's transition looks a lot more like Peyton's too.

I just think it's funny that everyone is ready to ordain Hilinski, who was 3rd string at South Carolina, not Clemson, and not behind QBs named Trevor Lawrence and Kelly Bryant (but rather QBs that weren't nearly as good or accomplished named Colin Hill and Luke Doty) as the automatic starter after what we experienced with Hunter.

Because we've seen Hilinski show flashes of potential on a real live SEC field, not based on practice tape and comments from coaches.

I'm not knocking Hunter, because I'm a yuge fan, but his body of work in 2019 was not good. There were mitigating circumstances, but he simply did not get it done when he was given the chance. Luckily, he'll have another shot to compete for the position this year, but clearly Hilinski has shown more to this point.

I'm not knocking Hunter, because I'm a yuge fan, but his body of work in 2019 was not good. There were mitigating circumstances, but he simply did not get it done when he was given the chance. Luckily, he'll have another shot to compete for the position this year, but clearly Hilinski has shown more to this point.

Again, I don't disagree. All three QBs will get their shot, and I don't think anyone is a slam dunk at this point. May the best QB win. And hopefully not just because one of them has to, and that one or preferably more are really outstanding.

I've been saying that to the little Smellies since they were toddlers. Neither are named Eugene. Nor have they ever held axes.

Look, Hilinski, Ramsey, Oliver, Persa, Colter, Hunter, whoever...if they have talent to play Big 10 QB and...

1) Aren't running for their lives behind a porous line
AND
2) Have a good grip on the playbook
AND
3) Have receivers who can do their job
AND
4) Get significant playing time to do more than hand off

then they can be successful at NU.

HJ may have struggled with all four in 2019. Ramsey had the benefit of all four in 2020. Let's hope whoever wins the job has the benefit of at least three, if not all four, in 2021.
Don't forget a solid running game to take the pressure off as a 5th point. HJ never had it. Ramsey didn't really have a consistent one but it was probably better than what HJ had. Ramsey's OL was better but not great. And that OL affects so much else.

For those that are lukewarm about Hilinski, for whatever reason, would you have preferred Dylan McCaffrey and if so, why?

I for one am really looking forward to watching Ryan play QB for NU. Obviously there will be open competition for the QB position, but my money is on Hilinski. From a cursory look, he has all the tools to be a star, but seemingly developed some (correctable) bad habits as a freshman playing under pressure and injured -- footwork, etc. As zeek pointed out, mastering the playbook is key to success, and one that HJ and Marty seemed to struggle with, but hopefully no longer the case. I'm kind of modeling Hilinski after CJ Bacher, but with a better arm. CJ was not the most athletic QB but he had good pocket presence, and ran the ball effectively when he saw an open lane. Could Hilinski have busted the TD run that Peyton Ramsey made to seal the Citrus Bowl? Maybe not, but who knows?

Bacher was plenty mobile, if not a major running threat, as I recall. I'd be more than happy if Hilinski is in Bacher territory as a runner or thrower. He's probably the most under-appreciated QB of the past 25 seasons .

For those that are lukewarm about Hilinski, for whatever reason, would you have preferred Dylan McCaffrey and if so, why?

I cannot understand anyone being lukewarm. It can only be great news. He is one of the best quarterbacks in the transfer portal. He was a four-star and we recruited him very hard about two years ago, we really wanted him then, Why wouldn’t we want him now. We might have even gotten him then if that guy Millen or whatever had not committed and eventually de committed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT