ADVERTISEMENT

O Line question

NUAlum78

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I really enjoyed the win, as I do all Cat wins, but had a question about the O Line. I have never played O line, and wasn't able to discern a lot from watching the game on TV, but it seemed that Iowa put a lot more pressure on Ramsey than Maryland did. Is Iowa's Dline that good, is Maryland that bad, or were some things that went well in week 1 not working as well in week 2? To my untrained eye, it appears Iowa's line is very good. How do you think they stack up against the rest of the Cat's opponents?

I really enjoyed the win, as I do all Cat wins, but had a question about the O Line. I have never played O line, and wasn't able to discern a lot from watching the game on TV, but it seemed that Iowa put a lot more pressure on Ramsey than Maryland did. Is Iowa's Dline that good, is Maryland that bad, or were some things that went well in week 1 not working as well in week 2? To my untrained eye, it appears Iowa's line is very good. How do you think they stack up against the rest of the Cat's opponents?

Maryland bad, Iowa much better.

Reactions: runawayCat

I don't think there are enough synonyms for the word "suck" to explain Maryland's defensive line.

1. The Terps have been dreadful defensively under Locksley. They're allowing right about 43 ppg versus Power 5 opponents. Regardless of personnel, they haven't been good.

2. Vs. the Cats, Maryland started 3 transfers making their first Power 5 action. That included 2 JUCO players and a transfer from NC State, who had no power 5 experience.

3. Maryland's 3/4 scheme is undersized up front by Big Ten Standards. That unit averages just under 6'2 290. In a 3/4 defense, you're going to get gouged in the running game, especially if your Ends are too small to hold the edge a leverage. - By comparison, Nebraska runs a 3/4 and averages 6'5 1/2 310 in their two deep.

- Lastly, Iowa is much bigger, has better athletes up front, and a long time standard of defensive excellence.

- Maryland's defensive line will be the worst D-line Northwestern faces all season. Right now, Minnesota has a worse defense, but their problems run a lot deeper than just personnel or scheme.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I also think Ramsey left the pocket or gave up on a few plays but overall was a great game manager and timely throws to our only wide out.

Maryland consistently allowed a receiver to get free underneath primary coverage, particularly the tight ends. Iowa did not. Ramsey is very good at reading opportunity and beating the rush. Iowa was very consistent and disciplined in limiting his options to do so.
In all honest, both MD and Iowa got penetration pretty consistently on passing downs, but the availability/absence of check down opportunities made all the difference.

In all honest, both MD and Iowa got penetration pretty consistently on passing downs, but the availability/absence of check down opportunities made all the difference.
The left side of our line was sealed off by Skoronski against MD and IA. The right side was more problematic. I wouldn't be surprised if Priebe wins the right guard spot before the end of this season.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The left side of our line was sealed off by Skoronski against MD and IA. The right side was more problematic. I wouldn't be surprised if Priebe wins the right guard spot before the end of this season.

Agree, but 2 games is a small sample size, and to my eye the left side of both Iowa and MD is the stronger pass rush, using Minnesota as the control for MD. My main point is that QB sacks rest on quality of pass rush, quality of pass blocking, opportunity to check down and skill of QB in finding checkdown. Last year, Cat’s QBs were terrible at finding checkdowns, and receiver assignments were bad at creating them, making the OL look even worse than it really was (which was pretty bad in pass protection). The next few games will probably show us how much progress the OL has made more definitively.

Yup. Priebe can play.

I almost think we miss Stovall more than Slater (obviously an exaggeration, but just pointing out our issues at guard)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT