ADVERTISEMENT

Oh Man

That Bears kicker is the new Bartman.

If I were his friend, I’d advise he leave Cook County right away for his own safety. I hear South America is nice this time of year...
Still they scored only 15 points!

Iggles! Why do they have two starting QBs, anyway?

NFC East best conference. Go Cowboys!
The Bears will probably draft a QB in the 1st round of the draft , even if they have to trade away a couple of #1's. Oh wait, they have already done that.

The Bears will probably draft a QB in the 1st round of the draft , even if they have to trade away a couple of #1's. Oh wait, they have already done that.

Good thing they did. Trubisky was clutch yesterday. Huge growth for him as a player this year. I think he is primed for a monster year next season.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
There was a lot of hype around the Bears as well

Maybe this year. There is not nearly the year-in, year-out (America's team blah blah) hype about the Bears that there is about the Cowboys — not even close. I live in Pennsylvania and know several guys who constantly are yakking about how great the Cowboys are, even though they haven't done much in years. You don't hear anything about the Bears except for a few "fans" coming out of the woodwork when they have a good year such as this one. Probably the only time the Bears have ever approached anything like Cowboys' hype was during the mid-'80s Ditka era.

Reactions: RevCat
Yea, it's on the defense...

Or, you know, the "kicker" that had an opportunity to win the game with a relatively easy kick? The same kicker who missed the second-most kicks in the NFL this season?

If you want to blame someone other than Parkey, blame Pace. He's the guy who let Gould walk, and he's the guy who kept Parkey even after he shanked 4 kicks into the uprights in a single game. This team had one glaring weakness, and management refused to address it. It came back to bite 'em right on the keister.
In watching him during the year, Bears got away with all his earlier misses and Doinks. I had to wonder when one would cost them.

I think the most important thing here is that we blame someone.

Look, that loss was about as bad as it gets (even worse than the Nebraska Hail Mary that happened directly in front of my seat in Lincoln a few years back), but the reaction from so many people is even worse in my mind. Be disappointed, be unhappy with how the season ended, but get a grip people. It's just a game.

I was think about the Ace Ventura movie right after Parkey missed that kick. He may end up being as vilified a character as the kicker that was portrayed in that movie.
Hopefully he won't start stalking Dan Marino.

Seriously, it's just a game. I remember when I was back in high school, the Houston Oilers (remember them?) signed an unknown free agent kicker who proceeded to miss an easy game-winning field goal. In the post-game interview, he was crying, and he got cut the next day. I don't think he ever got another shot in the NFL. Tough business. I'm reminded of this because expectations for kickers are pretty unrealistic. They're expected to make every kick and are generally overlooked when they do. But when they miss, they take all the blame, even though they're only on the field for a few seconds in a 60 minute game.

I wasn't that upset (at least not frothing level), perhaps because I was convinced he would miss the real attempt, especially after making the unofficial attempt.

That said, I had that conviction based on his performance over the whole season. So yes, a replacement is indicated.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
I think the most important thing here is that we blame someone.

Look, that loss was about as bad as it gets (even worse than the Nebraska Hail Mary that happened directly in front of my seat in Lincoln a few years back), but the reaction from so many people is even worse in my mind. Be disappointed, be unhappy with how the season ended, but get a grip people. It's just a game.
That Nebraska Hail Mary game was bad, but the season was already a bust at that point. Imagine if a win there would have given NU the division title. Still, I agree, it's just a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT