ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball offseason and free agents 2019-2020 edition

When you're worried about illicit use of sophisticated technology in the dugout, going with the septuagenerian seems like a good call.

Dusty Baker is a good manager, well respected in the game, and is a fine choice. They had to go with someone external here. Baseball's better with Mr. Toothpick in it.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
When you're worried about illicit use of sophisticated technology in the dugout, going with the septuagenerian seems like a good call.

Dusty Baker is a good manager, well respected in the game, and is a fine choice. They had to go with someone external here. Baseball's better with Mr. Toothpick in it.
It's definitely a change in culture. Most certainly not as focused on analytics. The team still has loads of talent, so we'll see how the season plays out. Maybe they'll win another championship and prove they can do it "clean".

Rumors today that a 1-for-1 deal with Arenado to the Cubs could happen. Arenado would waive his no-trade.

Rumors today that a 1-for-1 deal with Arenado to the Cubs could happen. Arenado would waive his no-trade.
I don't see how the Cubs afford that without moving some payroll, or getting the Rocks to eat quite a bit.

Cots has the Cubs at $185 M right now for the 26-man, and $210 M for the 40-man. This is before deals for Cartini and Happ are included (not sure why Cots is missing some payroll numbers):

Arenado will make $26 M in 2020, and $35 M in 2021. Bryant just got $18.6 M for 2020.

I don't see how the Cubs afford that without moving some payroll, or getting the Rocks to eat quite a bit.

They couldn't. Arenado definitely would waive his NTC for the Cubs but the Cubs would have to get Heyward off the books first and maybe more since they have Schwarber, Baez and Castillo deals on the horizon too.

If Ricketts isn't nutting up for Castellanos, there's no way he's nutting up for $225MM or whatever is left on Arenado's deal unless major money is moved

NO he won't!

If/when he is traded, what are you gonna say?

-400 you mention Cubs 2016 World Series
-500 you mention White Sox/Cubs comparative attendances
+1,000,000 you nut up, admit defeat and say "I was wrong"

Cubs just signed Jeremy Jeffress 1year $850k. So low risk, but like Souza, a reclamation project. Is this what the Cubs are relegated to?
Reminds me a bit of Walt Jocketty and the Cards back in the early Aughts. He was a master at buying/trading for distressed assets and seeing them resurrect themselves into good players after a thorough application of Cardinal Pixie Dust (TM):

Mark MacGwire
Larry Walker

Kent Bottenfield - signed as a cheap FA, won 18 games, then got packaged with Adam Kennedy (good player) for Jim Edmonds
Jim Edmonds - acquired after injury shortened season, went on to post 42 fWAR as a Cardinal
David Freese - acquired for the old and bad Jim Edmonds; see 2011 post season
Scott Rolen - acquired after he forced the Phillies hand
Ryan Ludwick - pulled from MiLB FA scrap heap; 10 fWAR in 3 seasons (he was later traded by the Padres for Corey Kluber)
Jeff Suppan
Woody Williams - acquired for an aging Ray Lankford
Chris Carpenter - signed as a busted FA pitcher. Turned out he was a cyborg

Plenty of moves that didn't work: Kip Wells, Brett Tomko, Tino Martinez, traded Dan Haren for Mark Mulder, Bobby Bonilla, Esteban Yan, etc. But in all, Jocketty's bottom-feeding paid huge dividends.

Reminds me a bit of Walt Jocketty and the Cards back in the early Aughts. He was a master at buying/trading for distressed assets and seeing them resurrect themselves into good players after a thorough application of Cardinal Pixie Dust (TM):

Mark MacGwire
Larry Walker

Kent Bottenfield - signed as a cheap FA, won 18 games, then got packaged with Adam Kennedy (good player) for Jim Edmonds
Jim Edmonds - acquired after injury shortened season, went on to post 42 fWAR as a Cardinal
David Freese - acquired for the old and bad Jim Edmonds; see 2011 post season
Scott Rolen - acquired after he forced the Phillies hand
Ryan Ludwick - pulled from MiLB FA scrap heap; 10 fWAR in 3 seasons (he was later traded by the Padres for Corey Kluber)
Jeff Suppan
Woody Williams - acquired for an aging Ray Lankford
Chris Carpenter - signed as a busted FA pitcher. Turned out he was a cyborg

Plenty of moves that didn't work: Kip Wells, Brett Tomko, Tino Martinez, traded Dan Haren for Mark Mulder, Bobby Bonilla, Esteban Yan, etc. But in all, Jocketty's bottom-feeding paid huge dividends.
HJ, you didn’t just compare Jeffress and Souza to this Cardinal bunch did you? You morphing into Willy.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Watch out Cub fans. Pedro Strop is now part of the new Big Red Machine!

Actually, not a bad low risk/high reward signing to help with bullpen depth.

Watch out Cub fans. Pedro Strop is now part of the new Big Red Machine!

Actually, not a bad low risk/high reward signing to help with bullpen depth.
Wow. The Reds are all in.

Actually, a VERY good time to go all in in the weakening NL Central.

I read somewhere the Cubs were going after Scooter. That would be a great signing, IMO. If he's healthy, he will rake.

In my Hungry Jack Paper Rankings (TM), I might put the Reds atop the NL Central. Their Pythagorean record in 2019 had them a .500 team and they have shored up some pretty big holes. Suarez needs to be healthy, Bauer needs to be Bauer, and some guys need to have good season.

The Cubs may be second. It is easy to forget how injuries to Baez and the craptastic bullpen torpedoed their season. But the roster still boasts Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras, Swobber, Hendricks, Q, Lester, Darvish, etc. There is enough there, but they need to be healthy and scrape together some arms to fix the bullpen (bullpens are the easiest thing to fix, especially if you have a good farm system, which the Cubs don't).

That leaves my Cardinals third. They rightly let Bear Ozuna walk (and got the pick) but it will cost them in the near term.

The Beers might have the best player in the NL but they lost Grandal and Moose. Yelich will be alone, and he cannot carry that team.

Last edited:

I read somewhere the Cubs were going after Scooter. That would be a great signing, IMO. If he's healthy, he will rake.

In my Hungry Jack Paper Rankings (TM), I might put the Reds atop the NL Central. Their Pythagorean record in 2019 had them a .500 team and they have shored up some pretty big holes. Suarez needs to be healthy, Bauer needs to be Bauer, and some guys need to have good season.

The Cubs may be second. It is easy to forget how injuries to Baez and the craptastic bullpen torpedoed their season. But the roster still boasts Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras, Swobber, Hendricks, Q, Lester, Darvish, etc. There is enough there, but they need to be healthy and scrape together some arms to fix the bullpen (bullpens are the easiest thing to fix, especially if you have a good farm system, which the Cubs don't).

That leaves my Cardinals third. They rightly let Bear Ozuna walk (and got the pick) but it will cost them in the near term.

The Beers might have the best player in the NL but they lost Grandal and Moose. Yelich will be alone, and he cannot carry that team.
Not discussed - the Pirates. Probably rightly so.

By the way, I wish I had your optimism for the Reds. I think they will be better, but that is a big jump to make. And the Cardinals still have that deal with the devil!

Doesn't matter, the Reds only averaged 22,000 or so in attendance/game last year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT