ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Caitlin Clark first WNBA rookie ever to record a triple double

$10,300? Pretty sure you can win more on the Price Is Right. Sheesh.
Caitlin is their only chance to make that change. Like it or not, she’s the catalyst for all the new interest. But it’s clear she’s not liked by many of the higher powers. Olympic team sure didn’t want that rookie first team ALL-WNBA player.

Some people are all for woman’s progress until the catalyst of that progress doesn’t fit into their box.

Reactions: No Chores
The true greats win championships...

Breanna Stewart - 4 NCAA titles, 3 Olympic Gold Medals, and now 3 WNBA titles!!

@TheC - I am almost as big a UCONN women’s basketball/ Stewart fan as you, but I am curious of your thoughts as to her play in the Finals.

Did you see that referee screw job? Destroy an entire season of hard work. The fix was definitely in. Crazy how toxic the WNBA is!!

Even worse, they reviewed it and upheld the call. That’s how they decided the championship
Based on your post, I thought this was going to be a terrible call. But what was wrong? She clearly hit Stewart on the forearm as she went into her shooting motion. That call was pretty easy. Why is it so controversial? I saw the headline of the Minnesota coach complaining about it too, but that seemed a pretty clear foul.

@TheC - I am almost as big a UCONN women’s basketball/ Stewart fan as you, but I am curious of your thoughts as to her play in the Finals.
I'll be perfectly frank, I didn't see any of the games. I am just having some fun with the Caitlyn Clark fan club here. At first, I found this thread about some University of Iowa player on our board kind of annoying, but now that it's taken on a life of it's own, I am just leaning in and having fun with it.

Based on your post, I thought this was going to be a terrible call. But what was wrong? She clearly hit Stewart on the forearm as she went into her shooting motion. That call was pretty easy. Why is it so controversial? I saw the headline of the Minnesota coach complaining about it too, but that seemed a pretty clear foul.
Wrong. The other camera angle showed she only hit ball. The entire thing was a sham.

No mention of the travel, TheC?

Here ya go. Still think it’s a solid call?

I'll be perfectly frank, I didn't see any of the games. I am just having some fun with the Caitlyn Clark fan club here. At first, I found this thread about some University of Iowa player on our board kind of annoying, but now that it's taken on a life of it's own, I am just leaning in and having fun with it.
Ok got it, though the refereeing issues are truly not fun. And just for the record - Stewart was (frustratingly, for me, as a big fan) horrible on offense (by her very lofty standards) and certainly did not merit receiving any “benefit of the doubt” from the refs. The referee also mentioned the Lynx defender “was not in a legal guarding position” as the reason for it not getting overturned. Seems like that’s garbage. I think the Lynx coach has a legitimate beef (recognizing WNBA referees are consistently poor).

Here ya go. Still think it’s a solid call?

I agree in that second angle it looked like she got ball. If you're a Minnesota fan, it was the worst call in the history of sports. If you're a New York fan, you convince yourself it made-up for some horrible call against you at some point earlier in the series. As a neutral fan, it looked like a bad call, but not totally indefensible. The defender was leaning forward and there was clearly body contact, whether she hit Stewart with her arm or not. But it probably shouldn't have been called.

Also, not a travel. She was bobbling the catch on the inbounds pass, and then once she had control, she took her step and a half and went into her shot.

As with any bad call, they get magnified when they come at a key moment in the game. The bottom line is Minnesota was dominating the first half of this game and couldn't put it away, and then couldn't get the job done in overtime. If that bad call happened when Minnesota was still up 12, people don't complain as much. Bad calls happen. Those of us who are Cincinnati fans will never forget the phantom pass interference call on our LB against the Rams on third down in the redzone in the SuperBowl a couple years ago. Instead of ending the drive with a FG attempt, the Rams got first and goal and went on to score the eventual game-winning touchdown. Doesn't matter how much we complain... the Rams still hold that title.

I agree in that second angle it looked like she got ball. If you're a Minnesota fan, it was the worst call in the history of sports. If you're a New York fan, you convince yourself it made-up for some horrible call against you at some point earlier in the series. As a neutral fan, it looked like a bad call, but not totally indefensible. The defender was leaning forward and there was clearly body contact, whether she hit Stewart with her arm or not. But it probably shouldn't have been called.

Also, not a travel. She was bobbling the catch on the inbounds pass, and then once she had control, she took her step and a half and went into her shot.

As with any bad call, they get magnified when they come at a key moment in the game. The bottom line is Minnesota was dominating the first half of this game and couldn't put it away, and then couldn't get the job done in overtime. If that bad call happened when Minnesota was still up 12, people don't complain as much. Bad calls happen. Those of us who are Cincinnati fans will never forget the phantom pass interference call on our LB against the Rams on third down in the redzone in the SuperBowl a couple years ago. Instead of ending the drive with a FG attempt, the Rams got first and goal and went on to score the eventual game-winning touchdown. Doesn't matter how much we complain... the Rams still hold that title.
It’s never defensible when the referees literally decide the game on a bogus call. Game 1 had a similar scenario going New York’s way. A lot of people are questioning what’s happening, and they have reason to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT