ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

American League baseball is much more entertaining than the NL. Only fans of NL teams put down the DH. Watching pitchers hit or rather attempt to hit is painful. NLers talk about the strategy of the double switch-let's see you take out your pitcher and another player, replacing the position player with someone that wasn't good enough to start.

Your pitcher has struck out 16 and is pitching a perfect game but in the bottom of the 8th in a scoreless game , his team loads the bases with 2 outs. The pitcher, who has never gotten a hit in his career, is due up-what do you do ?

I would rather see Harold Baines come up

. Your pitcher has struck out 16 and is pitching a perfect game but in the bottom of the 8th in a scoreless game , his team loads the bases with 2 outs. The pitcher, who has never gotten a hit in his career, is due up-what do you do ?

I would rather see Harold Baines come up

I don’t care who is supposed to be batting; I would rather see Harold Baines come up.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I will hate this rule when the Reds are in the field, but love it when they're at the plate. It's a double-edged sword. I couldn't stand getting to the bottom of the order when the Reds were hitting because you knew there was one (and often two, when Billy Hamilton was here) automatic outs coming up. On the other hand, I also hated it late in games when you knew the other team was going to start pinch hitting an actual hitter for their pitcher.

I do agree with you though that I expect a good number of NL fans will like it and want it to stay.

He’s actually become a decent outfielder. He has a plus arm and can cover ground.
"Passable" probably a better descriptor. And that's in LF at WF, with less ground to cover. But safe to say his defense won't kill you like, for example, Jose Martinez, who has a good stick but really belongs as a DH (the Cards flipped him to TB last December and got a pretty good LHP prospect in return, Liberatore).

Zips and Steamer had him about -.5 defensive runs for 2020. Having him DH is probably best.

Babe won’t need to play LF for the Cubs next year. Opens up a spot for Souza.

“Babe”, as you call him, is a pretty good LF and the defensive stats support that. He’ll play some DH but nowhere near as much as many think. My guess is that you’ll see Caratini or Contreras, whoever is not playing catcher in the game , at DH more often than Schwarber.

Reactions: willycat
"Passable" probably a better descriptor. And that's in LF at WF, with less ground to cover. But safe to say his defense won't kill you like, for example, Jose Martinez, who has a good stick but really belongs as a DH (the Cards flipped him to TB last December and got a pretty good LHP prospect in return, Liberatore).

Zips and Steamer had him about -.5 defensive runs for 2020. Having him DH is probably best.
How do you feel about Jiminez? Heck the Sox have three DH guys.

“Babe”, as you call him, is a pretty good LF and the defensive stats support that. He’ll play some DH but nowhere near as much as many think. My guess is that you’ll see Caratini or Contreras, whoever is not playing catcher in the game , at DH more often than Schwarber.
I agree he will play most LF because the Cubs don’t have a lot of great options in the OF. Maybe Souza If he is healthy.

I don’t care what stats you throw out there, nothing is going to convince me he is a “pretty good” OF. No way, no how. Can he be adequate, absolutely. Has he improved, yes. Playing in Wrigley helps too.

I actually like what Babe brings to the team. He gets on base and drives in runs. That’s his role. However, he is at best an average defender.

I know somebody is about to quote how many guys he threw out and use that stat to support their argument, but if I am a big league third base coach I would challenge him to throw me out every time. He needs a lot of work still on angles to the ball and getting his body in the proper position to throw each and every time.

I agree he will play most LF because the Cubs don’t have a lot of great options in the OF. Maybe Souza If he is healthy.

I don’t care what stats you throw out there, nothing is going to convince me he is a “pretty good” OF. No way, no how. Can he be adequate, absolutely. Has he improved, yes. Playing in Wrigley helps too.

I actually like what Babe brings to the team. He gets on base and drives in runs. That’s his role. However, he is at best an average defender.

I know somebody is about to quote how many guys he threw out and use that stat to support their argument, but if I am a big league third base coach I would challenge him to throw me out every time. He needs a lot of work still on angles to the ball and getting his body in the proper position to throw each and every time.

Bill James Baseball Info Solutions had him ranked eight defensively among MLB Left fielders last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: willycat
DH is more fun.
I remember watching the Royals in the World Series with a Royals fan of mine. During one of the games, the Royals pitcher (Volquez) was due up to hit, and he said, "This is such a sham; pitchers have no place batting." Then the Royals pitcher, seconds after he said that, got a base hit.

It was pretty funny.

And, to me, it's fun when pitcher bats. The Cubs have even had some pretty good hitting pitchers over the years (Zambrano the best, but Arrieta, Maddux).

I remember watching the Royals in the World Series with a Royals fan of mine. During one of the games, the Royals pitcher was due up to hit, and he said, "This is such a sham; pitchers have no place batting." Then the Royals pitcher, seconds after he said that, got a base hit.

It was pretty funny.

And, to me, it's fun when pitcher bats. The Cubs have even had some pretty good hitting pitchers over the years (Zamrano the best, but Arrieta, Maddux).
The good thing is that all forms of baseball are fun. Max Fried is fun, and he’ll be relegated to *excellent pinch runner* duty.

Until July 29, when the season is canceled anyway.

I remember watching the Royals in the World Series with a Royals fan of mine. During one of the games, the Royals pitcher (Volquez) was due up to hit, and he said, "This is such a sham; pitchers have no place batting." Then the Royals pitcher, seconds after he said that, got a base hit.

It was pretty funny.

And, to me, it's fun when pitcher bats. The Cubs have even had some pretty good hitting pitchers over the years (Zambrano the best, but Arrieta, Maddux).
Then there were the hundreds who couldn't get the bat off of their shoulder.

What does Eloy have to do with conversation on Babe’s defense?

Willy is like Fox News with Obama/Clinton when it comes to the Sox, yet he is likely one of these people who goes on and on about how Sox fans are obsessed with the Cubs. Actually, it is *all* very Fox-Newsish.

How do you feel about Jiminez? Heck the Sox have three DH guys.
Robert is a crazy athlete, although that does not necessarily mean he is an elite defender in CF. But the tools are there. He will need to use his speed chasing balls into the LC alley that the pylon in LF cannot reach. Mazara should be about average in RF. Jiminez was -11 runs in LF last year in 114 games. That is scary. But he can rake.

The offensive production from the Sox OF in 2019 was so putrid that this group, even by being average, should be a quantum leap.

Reactions: Fitz51
Robert is a crazy athlete, although that does not necessarily mean he is an elite defender in CF. But the tools are there. He will need to use his speed chasing balls into the LC alley that the pylon in LF cannot reach. Mazara should be about average in RF. Jiminez was -11 runs in LF last year in 114 games. That is scary. But he can rake.

The offensive production from the Sox OF in 2019 was so putrid that this group, even by being average, should be a quantum leap.

If you want to honestly talk about automatic DH, it should be Jimenez. He was brutal. I don’t think he wants to accept that role at this point in his career.

Good. Tired of seeing an .083 hitter sacrifice bunt with one out down by four runs. Pitchers are an automatic out. Shouldn't be, but are.

Don't bother giving me your two examples this century of pitchers hitting .219. I don't care. They can't hit and that's that. They were never very good, now they suck. Worse than ever.

True NL fans should be forced to have their pitcher bat clean up. Forever. Like those of us in Balt watching Chris Davis before they finally benched him

Plus they hardly try and if they accidentally get on base they act like they will get a hangnail and have to come out. They don't even want a hit

Automatic outs are as dumb as the P.A.T.
Why bother?

Neither one of them are Jim Edmonds. Stop defending Babe with your but but Eloy too, you don’t need to be a professional scout to see Eloy needs work in LF, maybe take off the Cubbie blue glasses and admit Babe isn’t a defensive whiz.
Better than Jimenez. Much better!

Come on, which of those things is not true. Why would a GM trade good outfielder, with a strong arm and lots of power for a middling DH? Try none!

Because they play in the AL, Jimenez can really hit at 23 years old, and doesn’t have a torn ACL in his health history. Jimenez is also on what could be an extremely team-friendly contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT