ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Every time I think reinsdorf has come to his senses his teams pull off a move like this. This has LaRussa written all over it. Adam Engel is just as good if not better than Eaton right now. They should have saved the money as a down payment on a top of the rotation starter.

Agreed. This move is complete dog shit. ****ing awful in every way. They punted on 2nd down. Brantley (who I didn't even really want) would have been 100x better

And you need to realize that he hasn't signed with anyone and the Cubs are still a very possible landing place.

Think about this: he was so bad they didn't even bother bringing him to arbitration, which would have paid him ~8MM maybe. They thought so little of him that they were just like "naw". The only reason they'll bring him back will be to PRAY that he gets hot and they can deal him to a contender. I'd bet you anything you want that he doesn't play for the cubs past July 31st next year

Reactions: IGNORE2
Agreed. This move is complete dog shit. ****ing awful in every way. They punted on 2nd down. Brantley (who I didn't even really want) would have been 100x better

Could Brantley have legitimately played RF at this point in his career? He's a great LH bat, but he seems like a real reach for RF. Don't love the Eaton signing, but I won't lose sleep over it. If he put up something a little short of 2019 numbers, he'd be what the Sox need out of the position. IMHO, they need to focus on having a solid bullpen and a plan if Vaughn can't stick.

Think about this: he was so bad they didn't even bother bringing him to arbitration, which would have paid him ~8MM maybe. They thought so little of him that they were just like "naw". The only reason they'll bring him back will be to PRAY that he gets hot and they can deal him to a contender. I'd bet you anything you want that he doesn't play for the cubs past July 31st next year
COVID has hurt high revenue teams like the Cubs badly. The Ricketts family took a huge hit from this Covid season. They are looking to cut costs anywhere they can. Kyle Schwarber at $9mm post arbitration was not a cost that made sense to them. Schwarber at 1 year for $3.5-$4mm is worth considering. Ultimately I don’t think it happens but I would not rule it out.

Could Brantley have legitimately played RF at this point in his career? He's a great LH bat, but he seems like a real reach for RF. Don't love the Eaton signing, but I won't lose sleep over it. If he put up something a little short of 2019 numbers, he'd be what the Sox need out of the position. IMHO, they need to focus on having a solid bullpen and a plan if Vaughn can't stick.

I don't think Brantley could play RF consistently which is why I didn't want him, but I'd still take him over Eaton because I just hate Eaton. He's a little bitch (though a good baseball player, 2020 is a mulligan year). Unless they have plans to stash Vaughn for another year, which I don't think they do, Brantley would have been an awesome DH for the Sox. That dude RAKES. Always has and still does... but he'll prob get a 2-3 year deal which would block Vaughn, which means Eaton is next in line.

Reactions: hoosboot
I don't think Brantley could play RF consistently which is why I didn't want him, but I'd still take him over Eaton because I just hate Eaton. He's a little bitch (though a good baseball player, 2020 is a mulligan year). Unless they have plans to stash Vaughn for another year, which I don't think they do, Brantley would have been an awesome DH for the Sox. That dude RAKES. Always has and still does... but he'll prob get a 2-3 year deal which would block Vaughn, which means Eaton is next in line.
Do you think Vaughn gets the DH role at some point during the year? I’m hoping he does. I assume McCann will not return, so a spot is open, unless this means both Eaton And Engel are regulars and that isn’t what I would want.

Do you think Vaughn gets the DH role at some point during the year? I’m hoping he does. I assume McCann will not return, so a spot is open, unless this means both Eaton And Engel are regulars and that isn’t what I would want.

If there was an MiLB season in 2020, he would have ended in Charlotte and I am guessing they would have extended him just like Robert, Eloy, etc., but there wasn't, so he hasn't played above A ball. He pissed all over the ball against MLB/fringe MLB pitching in Schaumburg this summer, so maybe an extension is still in the cards, but it's murky since he wasn't playing in actual games. I do think he sees Chicago this summer, but maybe not opening day like I assume he would have if he had a normal year. If he doesn't, Joc or Brantley would still make sense to target, but both will get >1 year deals, which would block him, so I'm not sure at the same time.

What I do know is that the organization thinks there's a chance he could be the best hitter out of all their young hitters. We'll find out

If there was an MiLB season in 2020, he would have ended in Charlotte and I am guessing they would have extended him just like Robert, Eloy, etc., but there wasn't, so he hasn't played above A ball. He pissed all over the ball against MLB/fringe MLB pitching in Schaumburg this summer, so maybe an extension is still in the cards, but it's murky since he wasn't playing in actual games. I do think he sees Chicago this summer, but maybe not opening day like I assume he would have if he had a normal year. If he doesn't, Joc or Brantley would still make sense to target, but both will get >1 year deals, which would block him, so I'm not sure at the same time.

What I do know is that the organization thinks there's a chance he could be the best hitter out of all their young hitters. We'll find out
Please don’t package him in a deal!

is Eaton really a "good baseball player"???

It’s going to be tough for Willy when his go to is about to be tax payer Park or Arrow Down field. No one ever accused Willy of knowing even a little bit about baseball, so nothing should be surprising.
I do know that Schwarber is an overall better player then Eaton, numbers be dammed. Also know that the Cubs have and will continue to draw more fans! Baseball? Well played in the state finals in high school, played at a JC and walked on at a Power 5 school. Gee think I know a bit about baseball, at least a hell of a lot more than you.

I do know that Schwarber is an overall better player then Eaton, numbers be dammed. Also know that the Cubs have and will continue to draw more fans! Baseball? Well played in the state finals in high school, played at a JC and walked on at a Power 5 school. Gee think I know a bit about baseball, at least a hell of a lot more than you.

You're a Northwestern fan and you're talking about fans in stands. Seriously you are the biggest moron on these boards

Reactions: IGNORE2 and Alvious
He’s probably a 2-2.5 WAR guy at best now if he’s healthy. Not The six WAR guy we saw several years ago, but he still will help fix that problem in right field.

100%. I was merely responding to the silliness from @willycat that Eaton was nowhere near the player that Schwarbs is. Neither is a world beater, but Eaton is pretty obviously near the player that Schwarbs is...for good and for bad.

100%. I was merely responding to the silliness from @willycat that Eaton was nowhere near the player that Schwarbs is. Neither is a world beater, but Eaton is pretty obviously near the player that Schwarbs is...for good and for bad.
Agreed. Schwarber’s walk rate and power gives him an offensive edge, but he can’t play RF, which is what the Sox really need.

Agreed. Schwarber’s walk rate and power gives him an offensive edge, but he can’t play RF, which is what the Sox really need.

Yeah...guys like Joc or Brantley could have potentially been better options if it wasn't RF the Sox were looking to fill. That said, I don't mind having a guy who profiles differently from the HR or whiff mold. I like having a higher OBP guy in that spot since there is a lot of power elsewhere in the lineup. I would love if they batted Eaton 9th to alternate sides of the plate and put another higher OBP guy in front of the top of the lineup. Would be great to sign a LH bat to DH until Vaughn is ready. Even though he is supposed to rake, it would be ideal to have a veteran to take the pressure off since he hasn't really played above Single A. Just don't think Joc wants to repeat that gig outside of L.A. and am pretty certain Brantley can probably get a better offer, but Mitch Moreland? Shin-Soo Choo?

Yeah...guys like Joc or Brantley could have potentially been better options if it wasn't RF the Sox were looking to fill. That said, I don't mind having a guy who profiles differently from the HR or whiff mold. I like having a higher OBP guy in that spot since there is a lot of power elsewhere in the lineup. I would love if they batted Eaton 9th to alternate sides of the plate and put another higher OBP guy in front of the top of the lineup. Would be great to sign a LH bat to DH until Vaughn is ready. Even though he is supposed to rake, it would be ideal to have a veteran to take the pressure off since he hasn't really played above Single A. Just don't think Joc wants to repeat that gig outside of L.A. and am pretty certain Brantley can probably get a better offer, but Mitch Moreland? Shin-Soo Choo?
Madrigal will bat 9th and act as a pseudo lead off man for Anderson and Moncada. Eaton doesn’t have to be great, just decent. This team is pretty much loaded in every spot except RF.

What I am hearing from Sox fans in general and on this board is the same pitfall that most fan bases fall into when they have a young, ascending team. They fall in love and overvalue their homegrown talent to the point that it hinders their objectivity on what moves need to be made to seriously contend for a World Series. The Cubs did the same and I think it cost them a chance at a second World Series title. Cautionary tale.

What I am hearing from Sox fans in general and on this board is the same pitfall that most fan bases fall into when they have a young, ascending team. They fall in love and overvalue their homegrown talent to the point that it hinders their objectivity on what moves need to be made to seriously contend for a World Series. The Cubs did the same and I think it cost them a chance at a second World Series title. Cautionary tale.

Give an example?

Not exactly, I certainly don’t love the Eaton move, but I don’t see a lot of risk. LaRussa is a big gamble, and the fans will blame him for everything that goes wrong. Don’t like that move. Lance Lynn, like the gamble here. Will give up a lot of HR’s, but a tough hombre. I see him like a John Lester, who was definitely one of my favorite Cubs. Next year should not be the peak for this team. They are not as good as the elite teams right now.

Robert, Eloy, Anderson, Moncada, Vaughn, Madrigal should be the nucleus of a powerful lineup. The system has a plethora of live young arms that may be a year or two away. The best part and the big difference between the Cubs approach is the Sox are not saddled will awful contracts like, Heyward, Chatwood, Kimbrel when taking on potential trade candidates or future FA’s.

Not exactly, I certainly don’t love the Eaton move, but I don’t see a lot of risk. LaRussa is a big gamble, and the fans will blame him for everything that goes wrong. Don’t like that move. Lance Lynn, like the gamble here. Will give up a lot of HR’s, but a tough hombre. I see him like a John Lester, who was definitely one of my favorite Cubs. Next year should not be the peak for this team. They are not as good as the elite teams right now.

Robert, Eloy, Anderson, Moncada, Vaughn, Madrigal should be the nucleus of a powerful lineup. The system has a plethora of live young arms that may be a year or two away. The best part and the big difference between the Cubs approach is the Sox are not saddled will awful contracts like, Heyward, Chatwood, Kimbrel when taking on potential trade candidates or future FA’s.

There's never a bad 1 year deal in baseball. Eaton will probably be fine - he'll definitely be better than he was in the 60 game sprint. Everyone deserves a mulligan for that year - one bad 15 game stretch is equivalent to a bad 40 game stretch in a normal year. That can gut a player statistically. Same with 1-2 bad starts for a pitcher or giving up 4 runs in a relief appearance. I'm not worried about Eaton statistically

What I don't want to hear is that they won't operate at the top of the market because of money issues. **** that. They had bottom 5 payrolls for years and they told the fans that that would provide them with economic flexibility to attempt to sign stars when they were in their competitive window. They had George Springer - a player that would have literally set their lineup and it's finances for years on end - right there for the taking. Just had to offer the most money, everything else sells itself (chicago in the summer, winning club, etc.)

But they didn't. They went for a player that was probably 4th tier of the RF available (3rd if you think Brantley is DH only, which I do at this point, though he still rakes)

It's disgusting. A Brantley contract will be 5/100 or so. That's FAR from what Heyward signed for in both dollars and years, so I hate when people use him as a comparison. It's funny to me how a team like the small market Padres has no problem nutting up massive deals for Will Meyers, Eric Hosmer and Manny Machado but the White Sox are crying poor in their market. It's a slap in the face to me as a fan that they are budgeting like they're the Reds but have paid pennies towards payroll in the last 4 years, all things considered.

I'm talking about overvaluing their home grown talent

Sure. Believing that Eloy can be anything more than a DH on a World Series caliber team and thinking that Kopech is a sure fire bet to be a top of the rotation MLB starter any time soon. Candidly, I have doubts that he has the makeup to be a reliable MLB starter let alone a top of the rotation starter.

Sure. Believing that Eloy can be anything more than a DH on a World Series caliber team and thinking that Kopech is a sure fire bet to be a top of the rotation MLB starter any time soon. Candidly, I have doubts that he has the makeup to be a reliable MLB starter let alone a top of the rotation starter.
Big deal. So what if Eloy becomes a DH. He’ll still hit 40 HR’s in the middle of the line up and be at the top of the DH pecking order. Kopech doesn’t need to be the Ace. sox have one already. The notion that Giolito is not an Ace should have been put to bed in game one of the playoffs. kopech is Uber talented. I will take my chances with him. There is literally no down side .

Eloy is the worst OF I've ever seen (literally) but you have more room for error in LF and the park they play in 81 times and with the guy to his left playing CF, but I agree. That said... he can't play DH. Not with Vaughn, who might be the best hitter of them all.

Kopech still has every bit of the star potential he had when he got hurt. This is a "trust me" thing but he's in a great spot mentally and is looking to be a horse for them in 2021. I still think he will be the best pitcher of their young pitchers, even better than Gio who has turned into an ace in his own right. Organization and his teammates agree with that too. Obviously not a guarantee, but his talent and head are ready to go. Don't buy into what you read about him in the media - he had his divorce snafu, but he's a great kid that wants nothing more than to be successful in baseball. I know that from convos with him and with his teammates, some of whom are the ipso facto captains of the team. He's going to ball out next year

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT