ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

What kind of career does Schwarber have ahead of him and what can Jed get for him now?

Do you expect anyone to view these type of comments as anything other than sheer nonsense and sour grapes from another bitter Sox fan? As bad as Schwarber hit last year, he is one year removed from a 40 homer, 100 RBI season. There are plenty of teams that would be interested in him, particularly because he can actually play the field.

• Love
Reactions: willycat
Do you expect anyone to view these type of comments as anything other than sheer nonsense and sour grapes from another bitter Sox fan? As bad as Schwarber hit last year, he is one year removed from a 40 homer, 100 RBI season. There are plenty of teams that would be interested in him, particularly because he can actually play the field.
Ridiculous and you know better. Theo screwed up and Babe has lost his market value. Yeah, teams are lining up for a player that hit .188 last year and NEVER hit over 250 in his career. He also has never hit 4O HR’s or had 100 RBI, but carry on. It must be for that outfield arm that you tout or maybe his speed on the bases. Do you watch every game through blue tinted glasses?

Bitter? Over what exactly? Why is so difficult for you to comprehend that others that don’t share your opinion on everything aren’t always wrong or have “sour grapes”? Maybe you just don’t like to be wrong? So go ahead and opine of what people that view these type of comments as, but I am pretty sure they can speak for themselves.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Ridiculous and you know better. Theo screwed up and Babe has lost his market value. Yeah, teams are lining up for a player that hit .188 last year and NEVER hit over 250 in his career. He also has never hit 4O HR’s or had 100 RBI, but carry on. It must be for that outfield arm that you tout or maybe his speed on the bases. Do you watch every game through blue tinted glasses?

Bitter? Over what exactly? Why is so difficult for you to comprehend that others that don’t share your opinion on everything aren’t always wrong or have “sour grapes”? Maybe you just don’t like to be wrong? So go ahead and opine of what people that view these type of comments as, but I am pretty sure they can speak for themselves.

Schwarber has 1 season of control left and is a career 113 wRC+ and though he's improved defensively, he's still not a "good" defender. Average at best. If they trade him, they'd get a couple of solid org top 10s, but nobody's paying out of their ass for him. He's a decently above average baseball player that'd be a 1 year flyer. I'll throw 2020 away because it was a weird year, but he's a really nice left handed hitting platoon player.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Schwarber's defensive metrics are pointed in the wrong direction, but the DH rule mitigates that. Steamer and Depth Charts both forecast an offensive rebound in 2021. He will be 28 next March, so he should be in his peak years. His walk rate is real, so as long as the power holds up he will offer decent value, maybe 3-3.5 WAR.

Reactions: willycat
American League baseball is much more entertaining than the NL. Only fans of NL teams put down the DH. Watching pitchers hit or rather attempt to hit is painful. NLers talk about the strategy of the double switch-let's see you take out your pitcher and another player, replacing the position player with someone that wasn't good enough to start.

Your pitcher has struck out 16 and is pitching a perfect game but in the bottom of the 8th in a scoreless game , his team loads the bases with 2 outs. The pitcher, who has never gotten a hit in his career, is due up-what do you do ?

I would rather see Harold Baines come up
If you don't want the pitchers to bat just use an eight man batting line up.

Career stats -

Eloy 2 yrs .276 / .321 / .527 / .848 45 HRs oWAR 3.9 dWAR -2.0
Babe 6 yrs .230 / .336 / .480 / .816 121 HRs oWAR 6.8 dWAR -3.6

Hmmm - I sure see the great value of Babe - a defensive wiz, a sure fire offensive dominator....a soon to be non-tendered FA

#statsareforlosers

Career stats -

Eloy 2 yrs .276 / .321 / .527 / .848 45 HRs oWAR 3.9 dWAR -2.0
Babe 6 yrs .230 / .336 / .480 / .816 121 HRs oWAR 6.8 dWAR -3.6

Hmmm - I sure see the great value of Babe - a defensive wiz, a sure fire offensive dominator....a soon to be non-tendered FA

#statsareforlosers
Looks like the question was answered on Schwarber’s value. Jed couldn’t get a bag of balls for him and the DH is probably coming to the NL next year.

I live when corbi and willy tuck their balls under and creep away. Lol. Gone like the Cubs ‘dynasty,’ they are.

@willycat why did the Cubs non-tender Schwarber???? Wtf man!!!

As I've said before, the irony in all of this is that the disappointment with Schwarber stems from his deterioration at the plate, not because of his play in the field. That is why he was non tendered. I have no idea why this has happened, but Schwarber is a shadow of the hitter he was at IU and in his early days with the Cubs in the minors/majors. I wouldn’t completely rule out a return at a more affordable price but at this point a change of scenery may be a good thing for both sides.

Last edited:
Back to the OT of this whole thread.... as an NL fan, I LOVED having the DH this year!! I really hope they keep it. I hate watching pitchers strike out and ruin any semblance of a rally. Of course, my Reds are offensively challenged enough as it is.

Reactions: NWburbs Cats fan
Back to the OT of this whole thread.... as an NL fan, I LOVED having the DH this year!! I really hope they keep it. I hate watching pitchers strike out and ruin any semblance of a rally. Of course, my Reds are offensively challenged enough as it is.

I would imagine they add the NL DH permanently for 2022 season and beyond. That's when there will be a new CBA. That said... after the pandemic BS and all the owners crying poor, I have a feeling there's going to be a work stoppage.

I would imagine they add the NL DH permanently for 2022 season and beyond. That's when there will be a new CBA. That said... after the pandemic BS and all the owners crying poor, I have a feeling there's going to be a work stoppage.
The number and quality of players being non-tendered right now is pretty striking.

The number and quality of players being non-tendered right now is pretty striking.

it was 59 players non tendered this year compared to 56 in 2019 is what I saw. I just think there were more big names this year

Now Len Kasper is bolting the Cubs TV job for the White Sox radio gig! C’mon Willy and Corb, there still is room for you to jump on board.

LOL, I go to more Sox games that I do Cubs games and enjoy when they do well. Unlike most Sox fans, I don't reflexively root against the other team in town. The Cubs have been my team since I was young. That will never change.

it was 59 players non tendered this year compared to 56 in 2019 is what I saw. I just think there were more big names this year

Who do you see as the fallback for the White Sox in RF if they don't land Springer? Could Eddie Rosario be a RF option or is he strictly LF material? There are lots of OF options out there it seems, but most like Rosario and Joc seem better-suited as LF options.

Hey, CC24 what do you think of the Pale Hose getting Lance Lynn? Can he avoid the gopher ball at GRate? Gave up Dunning, will they regret it? Seems to slot well as a veteran in the middle of the rotation.

Wow. Good move by the Sox. He is durable. He has always been more of a fly ball pitcher, throwing a lot of four seamers. His HR / FB rate spiked last season for some reason.

But the best thing about him: two first names.

He has a HEAVY fastball, but sinker balls are on their way out due to a change in hitting philosophy with bat path, launch angle and hitting the ball in the air, so he had to shift to a hard 4 seam up in the zone to counter that. A spike in HR rate is natural after this change. The rest of his peripherals are as good as they've ever been. He'll be a great middle of the rotation arm for them.

Dunning should be a SP for a good amount of time, but his pure shit just isn't sexy at all. His room for error is next to none. Backend SP, and that's fine. But Lance Lynn has been one of the best pitchers in the AL the last two years. He's really good.

I would guess they extend him for a year or two as well

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Hey, CC24 what do you think of the Pale Hose getting Lance Lynn? Can he avoid the gopher ball at GRate? Gave up Dunning, will they regret it? Seems to slot well as a veteran in the middle of the rotation.

I think it’s a good movie. Innings eater and middle of rotation type guy signed for this coming season at a very affordable $8 million rate. Dunning is a younger, cost controlled version of Lynn but you have to give up something to get something. In this case it was maturity and experience in return for youth, potential and cost control. In my opinion the White Sox still need that top of the rotation losing streak stopper, playoff series ace if they want to make a serious run at a World Series. Giolito is not enough.

I think it’s a good movie. Innings eater and middle of rotation type guy signed for this coming season at a very affordable $8 million rate. Dunning is a younger, cost controlled version of Lynn but you have to give up something to get something. In this case it was maturity and experience in return for youth, potential and cost control. In my opinion the White Sox still need that top of the rotation losing streak stopper, playoff series ace if they want to make a serious run at a World Series. Giolito is not enough.

They're counting on this to be Kopech

They're counting on this to be Kopech

I think that is a pipe dream. The time for the Sox to win is now. Kopech has not yet proven himself capable of being a reliable major league starter, let alone an Ace that can you put on the mound and be confident he is going to win you a World Series game. I doubt he ever becomes that guy but it can’t be reasonably argued that he will be that guy this year. The Sox would be making a mistake putting their eggs is his basket for this year or waiting for him to be come that guy in the years to come. Windows close fast. There are too many variables outside of a team’s control that determine how long their windows last. The time to go for it is now.

Last edited:
He has a HEAVY fastball, but sinker balls are on their way out due to a change in hitting philosophy with bat path, launch angle and hitting the ball in the air, so he had to shift to a hard 4 seam up in the zone to counter that. A spike in HR rate is natural after this change. The rest of his peripherals are as good as they've ever been. He'll be a great middle of the rotation arm for them.

Dunning should be a SP for a good amount of time, but his pure shit just isn't sexy at all. His room for error is next to none. Backend SP, and that's fine. But Lance Lynn has been one of the best pitchers in the AL the last two years. He's really good.

I would guess they extend him for a year or two as well
I thought he threw a lot of 4 seamers in his early days in St Louis, which helped his K rate. I might be confusing him with Adam Ottavino, who found success in CO after a slow start in the Cards organization.

I think that is a pipe dream. The time for the Sox to win is now. Kopech has not yet proven himself capable of being a reliable major league starter, let alone an Ace that can you put on the mound and be confident he is going to win you a World Series game. I doubt he ever becomes that guy but it can’t be reasonably argued that he will be that guy this year. The Sox would be making a mistake putting their eggs is his basket for this year or waiting for him to be come that guy in the years to come. Windows close fast. There are too many variables outside of a team’s control that determine how long their windows last. The time to go for it is now.

and that's where Adam Eaton checks in :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

and that's where Adam Eaton checks in :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Every time I think reinsdorf has come to his senses his teams pull off a move like this. This has LaRussa written all over it. Adam Engel is just as good if not better than Eaton right now. They should have saved the money as a down payment on a top of the rotation starter.

When's the "movie" coming out? Maybe at the outdoor theatre in Arrow Down Field.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Every time I think reinsdorf has come to his senses his teams pull off a move like this. This has LaRussa written all over it. Adam Engel is just as good if not better than Eaton right now. They should have saved the money as a down payment on a top of the rotation starter.
Actually agree with this. The difference maker is obviously Trevor Bauer. If he really wants a one year deal, overpay and get him. How often do you get a chance at a top of the rotation guy on a one year deal. No 7 or 8 year commitment required. Eaton is dirt cheap, but his shenanigans in the Drake LaRoache debacle always bugged me. Ozzie hates Eaton, so post game might be must see TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT