ADVERTISEMENT

Plausible upside by player

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
1. Nance: Looked like a tree among ferns. 7 ft tall, huge wingspan, nice shooting stroke, good passer, gained muscle in off-season. Plausible upside is NBA--highest ceiling of any player I've seen at NU in 25 yrs.

2. Beran: Looks like Nance 2.0 but slightly more confident. He is so similar to Nance, you can see why both were in the top 75 player range. Same upside as Nance.

3. Jones: On physique alone, the most powerfully built kid I've seen entering NU. Huge upside, but pretty raw. Has an NBA body and has plausible upside of being a very good big ten big man.

4. Buie: Quick, can create off the dribble, something we haven't had in a long time even with BMac who wasn't that quick. Needs a lot of strength and consistency, but plausible upside is top 3 or 4 big ten PG.

5. Kopp. Big, strong, plays hard, nice shot if he can get more consistent with it. Could be a 3rd team all big ten kid if it comes together for him.

6. Young: The big fundamental. Makes the most of what he's got, could be a very good big ten big man (honorable mention all big ten may be his plausible upside).

Not including the older guys but Spencer can definitely play overseas and may improve dramatically. Long term shot at a guy like Matt Delavedova who got to the league through sheer heart and toughness. Gaines can play overseas, can play defense and rebound with any guard, just hasn't developed his offensive game much. Turner is a bit of a mystery but could be a nice overseas guy too.

Good recap..Beran could be a Shurna like player. Not an all time record setter.. but a solid forward who contributes in many ways. The best thing about Young is that he looks kinda smooth out there with some touch. Can be an outlet against traps.. presses etc. Steady. Kopp also could be multi skill player. Top 6 could be really good as jrs srs..

Buie can be a scoring machine. An aggressive guard that hits all his foul shots? I like it. A lot.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
1. Nance: Looked like a tree among ferns. 7 ft tall, huge wingspan, nice shooting stroke, good passer, gained muscle in off-season. Plausible upside is NBA--highest ceiling of any player I've seen at NU in 25 yrs.

2. Beran: Looks like Nance 2.0 but slightly more confident. He is so similar to Nance, you can see why both were in the top 75 player range. Same upside as Nance.

3. Jones: On physique alone, the most powerfully built kid I've seen entering NU. Huge upside, but pretty raw. Has an NBA body and has plausible upside of being a very good big ten big man.

4. Buie: Quick, can create off the dribble, something we haven't had in a long time even with BMac who wasn't that quick. Needs a lot of strength and consistency, but plausible upside is top 3 or 4 big ten PG.

5. Kopp. Big, strong, plays hard, nice shot if he can get more consistent with it. Could be a 3rd team all big ten kid if it comes together for him.

6. Young: The big fundamental. Makes the most of what he's got, could be a very good big ten big man (honorable mention all big ten may be his plausible upside).

Not including the older guys but Spencer can definitely play overseas and may improve dramatically. Long term shot at a guy like Matt Delavedova who got to the league through sheer heart and toughness. Gaines can play overseas, can play defense and rebound with any guard, just hasn't developed his offensive game much. Turner is a bit of a mystery but could be a nice overseas guy too.
Well said! I think both Kopp and Young can be All Big Ten someday! Young is a very pleasant surprise!

2017-18 season.

But when was the last time we had a point guard who could do these things and shoot?

2010-11

How about a point guard who could do all of these things and shoot and defend?

1993-94

--
Our guard play has potential, but I am not convinced that we have a BMac, Juice Thompson or Pat Baldwin on the roster just yet.

Maybe it’s just bad memory, but I recall Jitim being able to do all of that and well.

Maybe it’s just bad memory, but I recall Jitim being able to do all of that and well.

jitim could attack in a straight line but didn’t really have the handle or wiggle to create off the dribble. Buie showed some promise but it’s 1 game. A lot of guys have a good game here or there.

Jitim's offense was great in the paint, but he was not a good outside shooter (career .305 from 3) or free throw shooter (career .626). He was a fantastic defender, though.

Jitim's offense was great in the paint, but he was not a good outside shooter (career .305 from 3) or free throw shooter (career .626). He was a fantastic defender, though.
I’d forgotten about the free throws. Man we had some atrocious charity striper teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT