ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Prediction

6-6 would be a disappointment. Especially as it looks similar to 2013, following a 10 win season, they have us win the first 4, then have to try to salvage a win against ILL-noise to get to 6-6.

that will make for a long couple of months of losses.

6-6 would be a disappointment. Especially as it looks similar to 2013, following a 10 win season, they have us win the first 4, then have to try to salvage a win against ILL-noise to get to 6-6.

that will make for a long couple of months of losses.

This years 6-6 is like a 7-5 record in previous years. Big 10 teams lose one OOC game which for most was a W in going to the 9 game conference schedule, so 7 teams get a red L instead......

" You are what your record says you are. " The Tuna

Agree that, in spite of a much more difficult schedule, 6-6 would be a disappointment. I love GCG's optimism and will also cast a vote for 8 wins. As last year, we will know a lot about this team after the very first game.

I think WMU will be the litmus test. They will be one of the best MAC teams in years and we are perhaps the only team standing between them and an undefeated season. They will be more prepared than ever with a whole year to watch our film and be uber prepared. Win that game and we are for sure 7 and 5 against a tough schedule.

Reactions: CatChatAR
I think WMU will be the litmus test. They will be one of the best MAC teams in years and we are perhaps the only team standing between them and an undefeated season. They will be more prepared than ever with a whole year to watch our film and be uber prepared. Win that game and we are for sure 7 and 5 against a tough schedule.
Clayton has to stay healthy.

As with almost every NU team, I can see them going anywhere between 3-9 and 10-2.

Northwestern Football!
Wow it's been quite awhile since NU went 3-9 and if that happens, then coaching changes need to be made. After starting off 3-0, I'll predict 7-5.

Reactions: 60657Cat
I'll take the rest of the MAC vs WMU's undefeated season if you want to make a friendly wager. The MAC has some pretty tough programs that are good every year, as opposed to flavor-of-the-month WMU/Fleck.

" You are what your record says you are. " The Tuna

Agree that, in spite of a much more difficult schedule, 6-6 would be a disappointment. I love GCG's optimism and will also cast a vote for 8 wins. As last year, we will know a lot about this team after the very first game.

Really though... Why the fear of WMU? We won't know nearly as much about our team after facing the Fighting Flecks as we did after last year's Stanford game. WMU is a solid MAC team, but still has some depth/personnel problems and had some key departures.

Really though... Why the fear of WMU? We won't know nearly as much about our team after facing the Fighting Flecks as we did after last year's Stanford game. WMU is a solid MAC team, but still has some depth/personnel problems and had some key departures.

Well, you're the expert, but in my mind, a loss to WMU will say a lot about where the program is-- especially bearing in mind the fact that, historically, Fitz's teams are strong in Sept. Agree that a win may not be an important predictor for the rest of the season.

Expect victory!

Slap that board!

We're Northwestern. No win is penned in, and especially not against a decent-to-good-to-maybe-very-good opponent.
maybe they are a good to very good team but we are talking a MAC team here, not OSU or Wisconsin or Stanford and even Duke. NU will win by 10 or more.

So we dominated Minny last year and won by 4 scores and we will lose to them this year because? Purdue has won 6 games in the past 3 years combined and we will lose to them because? UW replaces a stellar DC, breaks in a new QB, we've been them 2 on the trot and we will lose to them because?

We're going to beat Nebraska (who some are predicting to win the West) and drop to Purdue and Minny? I dunno how much sense these predictions make.

We may lose all of these games, but I would have expected a fair prediction to put as 2-1 or 3-0 quite honestly. Say we beat Minny and Purdue, we'd end up at 8-4 (5-4)...seems more than fair to me.

Edit: This is in the context that I don't believe we'll be a significantly better or worse team next year than we were this year. I think defense will take a half-step back, and the offense will take a full step forward. We'll give up more points but score more as well, leaving us about the same. I think this will probably translate into fewer wins because 1. schedule and 2. can't expect to win literally every single close game you're in for 2 years in a row.

So we dominated Minny last year and won by 4 scores and we will lose to them this year because? Purdue has won 6 games in the past 3 years combined and we will lose to them because? UW replaces a stellar DC, breaks in a new QB, we've been them 2 on the trot and we will lose to them because?

We're going to beat Nebraska (who some are predicting to win the West) and drop to Purdue and Minny? I dunno how much sense these predictions make.

We may lose all of these games, but I would have expected a fair prediction to put as 2-1 or 3-0 quite honestly. Say we beat Minny and Purdue, we'd end up at 8-4 (5-4)...seems more than fair to me.

Edit: This is in the context that I don't believe we'll be a significantly better or worse team next year than we were this year. I think defense will take a half-step back, and the offense will take a full step forward. We'll give up more points but score more as well, leaving us about the same. I think this will probably translate into fewer wins because 1. schedule and 2. can't expect to win literally every single close game you're in for 2 years in a row.
Yes and, close games are more often close because of the Defense so if the Defense takes a half step back, so do the close games.

maybe they are a good to very good team but we are talking a MAC team here, not OSU or Wisconsin or Stanford and even Duke. NU will win by 10 or more.
I'll grant you that and for that reason I will say that the WMU game will be a litmus test of the season if we lose rather than in general as I stated earlier. Win the game and we will still have more to prove but lose it and I think it will be a tough season.

I'll grant you that and for that reason I will say that the WMU game will be a litmus test of the season if we lose rather than in general as I stated earlier. Win the game and we will still have more to prove but lose it and I think it will be a tough season.

I see your point, but disagree. WMU might just be very good. Losing to a team better than you doesn't mean your season is going to be tough. NU could still beat all the teams it is better than, and win an upset or two, even with a loss to WMU. Last season, you could argue that NU beat all the teams it should have beaten, and had 1 upset. Wasn't a tough season at all, despite being outscored 123-16 in its losses.;)

I see your point, but disagree. WMU might just be very good. Losing to a team better than you doesn't mean your season is going to be tough. NU could still beat all the teams it is better than, and win an upset or two, even with a loss to WMU. Last season, you could argue that NU beat all the teams it should have beaten, and had 1 upset. Wasn't a tough season at all, despite being outscored 123-16 in its losses.;)

I realize WMU is the MAC flavor of the year and Fleck is the hot coaching commodity there, but they have NOT recruited better than NU . We have more depth, more pro prospects and we are at home. We need to win this game! Yes, they are likely good enough to beat us, but no way they should unless we lay an egg.

I realize WMU is the MAC flavor of the year and Fleck is the hot coaching commodity there, but they have NOT recruited better than NU . We have more depth, more pro prospects and we are at home. We need to win this game! Yes, they are likely good enough to beat us, but no way they should unless we lay an egg.

1) Who said anything about WMU recruiting better than NU? Not me.
2) WMU plated @OSU last season and scored 2 TDs on the Bucks. I doubt they will be intimidated playing in a 1/3 empty Ryan Field.
3) Yes, NU has more depth. WMU has a much better offense, NU a much better defense. Should be a very interesting game, strength against strength.

2) WMU plated @OSU last season and scored 2 TDs on the Bucks. I doubt they will be intimidated playing in a 1/3 empty Ryan Field.
3) Yes, NU has more depth. WMU has a much better offense, NU a much better defense. Should be a very interesting game, strength against strength.

I just can't stop thinking of UM Vs Appalachia State. A.S. players said they started watching film for that opener as soon as their season ended. They built all their practice and preparation for the off season in preparation for that game. Reasoning that UM was the best opponent they would see they aimed at the highest target.

Fitz usually has the team ready for the opener but I bet nobody watched film on WMU back in January.

Fitz usually has the team ready for the opener but I bet nobody watched film on WMU back in January.

Then you would be incorrect.

Plus that App State team is/was the FCS national champion in 2007, ranked #1 in FCS for the opener. That was a legitimately good team, likely better than most MAC teams.

Plus that App State team is/was the FCS national champion in 2007, ranked #1 in FCS for the opener. That was a legitimately good team, likely better than most MAC teams.

And UoM were still stoned from some good ganja they had the night before......

Wasn't directed at you, but a response to the overall angst created for some with this game. I suspect it has to do with our history against decent MAC teams. We have more talent and should win. We all know the most talent doesn't always win, but as good as WMU is projected to be, it pales in comparison to the talent we faced in last year's opener. We should be expected to win this game and downright steamed if we don't.

Wasn't directed at you, but a response to the overall angst created for some with this game. I suspect it has to do with our history against decent MAC teams. We have more talent and should win. We all know the most talent doesn't always win, but as good as WMU is projected to be, it pales in comparison to the talent we faced in last year's opener. We should be expected to win this game and downright steamed if we don't.
It's he steamed part I'm worried about especially to start off the season. I get too much joy from the celebrating especially with people on the board and too much anxiety from the board meltdowns.:confused:

Losing to a team that is not as good as you could ruin your season but W.Mich. is not as good as NU. NU by at least 2 TD's.

Then you would be incorrect.

But WMU is not most MAC teams.

But WMU is not most MAC teams.

And NU seems to have a tendency to play to the level of the MAC opponent. Consider these games not already mentioned:

2015: Beat 3-9 Ball State 24-19
2013: Beat 1-11 WMU 38-17
2010: Beat 3-9 CMU 30-25
2009: Beat 0-12 EMU 27-24
Beat 1-11 Miami (O) 16-6
2008: Beat 4-8 Ohio 16-8
2007: Beat 4-8 EMU 26-14
2006: Beat 1-11 EMU 14-6

NU beat crappy MAC teams by 2 TD's exactly once. Predicting that they will beat a decent WMU team in 2016 by 2 TD's is pretty brave......

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Bowling Green in 2001.
True but NU played with a QB who was unable to throw because of an injury in that one. Does that sound scary for this season, like what happens if Thorson goes down. Is green still on the roster?

And NU seems to have a tendency to play to the level of the MAC opponent. Consider these games not already mentioned:

Beat 1-11 Miami (O) 16-6

NU beat crappy MAC teams by 2 TD's exactly once. Predicting that they will beat a decent WMU team in 2016 by 2 TD's is pretty brave......
Gee, don't see any loses there. Ok, maybe NU by 12.

IF Thorson advances, it will be a monster season. Huge. That said, our QB's tend to break out in season 3.

sounds a lot like the 1996 team. I'll take it.

If Riley Lees is going to be as good as many think, maybe he'll carry on the tradition of Jeremy Ebert of scoring in his first college game.

Beat 1-11 Miami (O) 16-6

That is a very strong pattern of doing just enough to win (although I see you left our our loss to NIU. What happened in 2012? this new format stinks for finding information.).

Maybe we keep a modest play book and stick to fundamentals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT