ADVERTISEMENT

Rap Report?

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
I expect some big upside from Rap this year. Even if injured last year, he has had a year to develop and get stronger, which lots of these developing bigs need. He knows the system, conditioning program, potential to jump in and make some noise and surprise people.

What have people heard about his development and on court progress? What position will he play?

Reactions: GOUNUII
I have not hear anything specific, but I would think that since there was no clear returning player at backup SF behind Law he would see minutes at SF, but could slide over to backup PF if Skelly continues to commit quick fouls when he comes in for Falzon. At 6'9"-6'10", he probably can swing over from SF to PF or from 3 to 4. I am just as interested in seeing the development of Isiah Brown who should make a big jump from freshman year to sophomore year and newcomer SG Anthony Gaines who according to college basketball expert Jon Rothstein is a sleeper with strong athletic skills as shown in last spring's all-star games.

I am hearing that Rap is a "4" at NU much similar to the way skelly is utilized. While athletic, not the same athleticism needed to guard players like Law or Lindsey. The biggest challenge for him will be the mental aspect of the game, knowing the NU offense, and playing within a team concept. Most likely will be a slow timeline to bring him along unless those things improve quickly.

I am hearing that Rap is a "4" at NU much similar to the way skelly is utilized. While athletic, not the same athleticism needed to guard players like Law or Lindsey. The biggest challenge for him will be the mental aspect of the game, knowing the NU offense, and playing within a team concept. Most likely will be a slow timeline to bring him along unless those things improve quickly.
That is consistent with a scouting report that I read when he was at that prep school.

Rap is a 4 not a 3. Check out his mixtapes and you'll see a player who doesn't do as much work from the perimeter. I think he'll step out on occasion to hit a shot, but definitely not as comfortable outside.

If Benson and Falzon have both improved, it's going to be tough to find minutes for Rap. Will be one of the most interesting developments to watch.

If Benson and Falzon have both improved, it's going to be tough to find minutes for Rap. Will be one of the most interesting developments to watch.

Ah, the luxuries of depth. On paper, Rap brings a very different skill set to the 4 than Falzon. With Falzon in, he creates space for guards and wings to attack the basket by stretching the D. With Rap in, it opens up an inside out game by (hopefully) forcing some double teams inside and creating outside shots for shooters at guard or wings.

I don't think it is really a question of finding the minutes for Rap due to development of Falzon or Benson, but rather finding the combinations that work best on both ends of the floor and then setting the rotations accordingly. Of course, setting these on a game by game basis to create desireable matchups and associated game plans. The strategy will be really fun to watch this season, assuming all of this luxurious depth remains healthy (knock on wood).

Go Cats!

Reactions: Katatonic and TheC
Ah, the luxuries of depth. On paper, Rap brings a very different skill set to the 4 than Falzon. With Falzon in, he creates space for guards and wings to attack the basket by stretching the D. With Rap in, it opens up an inside out game by (hopefully) forcing some double teams inside and creating outside shots for shooters at guard or wings.

I don't think it is really a question of finding the minutes for Rap due to development of Falzon or Benson, but rather finding the combinations that work best on both ends of the floor and then setting the rotations accordingly. Of course, setting these on a game by game basis to create desireable matchups and associated game plans. The strategy will be really fun to watch this season, assuming all of this luxurious depth remains healthy (knock on wood).

Go Cats!
I think matchups is a good point. One of the things that made last season so much fun was that it was the first time maybe ever we had some functional depth on the roster. If Skelly was having a good game, he got more minutes that day. If he was off the next game, he didn't play as much. Same with Taphorn and even Isaiah to some extent. There wasn't a limited set of guys that had to play all the time whether they had good matchups or not or whether they were on or not because we had no other choice. I see next season being even better. Rap probably won't get regular minutes I'm guessing, but there may be a few games during the year where he is hot and plays extended minutes and helps us to some big wins! Same for Skelly, Benson, Gaines, maybe even Ash and Brown.

Call me crazy but I think Rap can and might be being groomed to be a 5. The four is going to be difficult to get playing time with Falzon, Skelly, and Nance in the future and seeing a few pics this summer of the way his body is progressing playing 3 is out of the question. He looks like the second biggest player on the team behind Benson.

Call me crazy but I think Rap can and might be being groomed to be a 5. The four is going to be difficult to get playing time with Falzon, Skelly, and Nance in the future and seeing a few pics this summer of the way his body is progressing playing 3 is out of the question. He looks like the second biggest player on the team behind Benson.

We haven't even seen him play yet, so there is still so much unknown about Rap. That said, we know that CCC has much respect for UW program. I could see Rap being molded more into the style of Ethan Happ. They are of comparable size and both have the ability to put the ball on the floor. We'll see if with added strength and size, Rap can develop a post game anything close to the level of Happ's.

I didn't follow Badgers too closely last season, but it seems they ran a 3 G, 2 F lineup with Happ and Hayes at the F's. That could be an interesting possible lineup direction for NU with how the roster is shaping up with Rap as Happ and Nance as Hayes. That's putting a lot of expectations on Nance, and I'm not quite ready to do that to the kid. Luckily we still have both Pardon and Benson this season and next. Amazing that Pardon was only a sophomore last season!

You're crazy.

Based on the two years of high school tape that's out there on Rap, he looks to be a 4. Creative in the paint player who gets nice looks after a dribble or two. He needs NU's center to occupy the other team's 5 to open up the space he needs to operate. He can also step out and hit a shot from distance.

Different from what NU has had on its roster the last few years.

Reactions: DaCat
You're crazy.

This is what I think we will see more and more of from CC. Doing different things against different opponents. The depth and the flexible skill sets of the players he has recruited will create a team that can morph in ways that will most challenge the opponents. Guys will get their minutes based not lonely on their performance relative to the other Cats but relative to the opposing team style.

You're crazy.

Based on the two years of high school tape that's out there on Rap, he looks to be a 4. Creative in the paint player who gets nice looks after a dribble or two. He needs NU's center to occupy the other team's 5 to open up the space he needs to operate. He can also step out and hit a shot from distance.

If Rap can defend the rim and defend pick and rolls it doesn't matter how he looked offensively in high school. Of course he can play four but what Im saying is it is looking as though he needs to be versatile to see playing time at his time at NU. Im saying based off the way his body appears to have progressed this summer and the potential defensive versatility he showcased in high school I am speculating that he could be being groomed to play the 5. I think he'd be a better option for 3rd on the depth chart rather than Skelly.

I think matchups is a good point. One of the things that made last season so much fun was that it was the first time maybe ever we had some functional depth on the roster. If Skelly was having a good game, he got more minutes that day. If he was off the next game, he didn't play as much. Same with Taphorn and even Isaiah to some extent. There wasn't a limited set of guys that had to play all the time whether they had good matchups or not or whether they were on or not because we had no other choice. I see next season being even better. Rap probably won't get regular minutes I'm guessing, but there may be a few games during the year where he is hot and plays extended minutes and helps us to some big wins! Same for Skelly, Benson, Gaines, maybe even Ash and Brown.
Also your not taking into account that 13th schlorship player coming over fro Europe or the former 4* transfer.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Law is pretty much the only 'elite' athletic player we have. I don't think it is so much that Lindsey is 'athletic' but rather his long arms helps against defenders. He isn't that quick. Hard to know how many minutes Rap will get as a 4. Skelly showed marked improvement last year, and if he shows similar improvement this year then I gotta think he needs to be on the floor. He needs to control his emotions better as he gets up but then he gets down really quick on himself and misses assignments.
Falzon has to do more than make or miss 3 pt shots. My memory of him was that he had zero game inside the 3 pt lane. I think he shot over 95% of his shots at 3pt. He needs more game for a Dance team. I Brown? This may be his year to show his stuff. If he can be more consistent as a shooter then he may have a place other than giving Mac a rest. Lindsey has really turned into a special player. Everyone talks about Mac or Law but Lindsey is a matchup nightmare that allows Mac and Law to be more open as well when Lindsey is on the floor.

Rap is our highest recruited player on the current team, but that won't mean anything if he can't bring it to the floor. I haven't ever seen him play but he is going to have to be pretty darn good to put Skelly on the bench. It will be interesting to see how much improved Benson is. He looked like he needed to focus on upper body development. Lower body looked like he had wide hips and a big ass like Mahorn or Barkley and has potential to really block people out if he has better floor placement.

Law is pretty much the only 'elite' athletic player we have. I don't think it is so much that Lindsey is 'athletic' but rather his long arms helps against defenders. He isn't that quick. Hard to know how many minutes Rap will get as a 4. Skelly showed marked improvement last year, and if he shows similar improvement this year then I gotta think he needs to be on the floor. He needs to control his emotions better as he gets up but then he gets down really quick on himself and misses assignments.
Falzon has to do more than make or miss 3 pt shots. My memory of him was that he had zero game inside the 3 pt lane. I think he shot over 95% of his shots at 3pt. He needs more game for a Dance team. I Brown? This may be his year to show his stuff. If he can be more consistent as a shooter then he may have a place other than giving Mac a rest. Lindsey has really turned into a special player. Everyone talks about Mac or Law but Lindsey is a matchup nightmare that allows Mac and Law to be more open as well when Lindsey is on the floor.

Rap is our highest recruited player on the current team, but that won't mean anything if he can't bring it to the floor. I haven't ever seen him play but he is going to have to be pretty darn good to put Skelly on the bench. It will be interesting to see how much improved Benson is. He looked like he needed to focus on upper body development. Lower body looked like he had wide hips and a big ass like Mahorn or Barkley and has potential to really block people out if he has better floor placement.
I'd cut Rap some slack. He will be a Freshman with zero playing time for over a year, and Skelly a 4th year Senior with mucho playing time experience. Rap will get playing time but the success of NU's season will not be on his shoulders. NU finally has the luxury of a deep roster allowing Freshmen to grow into their roles rather than being thrown to the wolves like they were in CCC's first years.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Agree. We have a deep team this year, and CC will play the hot hand as well as the hot stopper. MOre fresh bodies on the floor too will help. We also have a tougher schedule, so should be inteteresting.

I don't think it is so much that Lindsey is 'athletic' but rather his long arms helps against defenders. He isn't that quick.

Lindsey is plenty athletic. He has a big ten body, ability to stay in front of anyone on D and has plenty of hops.

He's similar to Jershon Cobb in that he's very fluid in his movement. They may not look quick or like they are moving, but try staying in front of them.

I remember in Olah's freshman year he dunked in his first game. I was mind blown that an NU player dunked. They'd go like 10 game stretches without dunking. Now they're lobbing half court ally oops and have put backs regularly. The athleticism has improved light years from what it was just a few years ago

Lindsey is deceptively athletic. He's a very smooth athlete with some hops and moves a lot faster and quicker than it looks because of how smooth he is. Falzon will benefit from a 1-2 years in the weight lifting program. Law didn't have the same inside game till he hit the weights. Benson I expect to make a jump tho we might not notice it because of Pardon. Every year I feel Bmac has gotten the most out of his abilities and he continues to improve long story short I'm really excited for next year.

Coach Collins has stated that when he signed Rap that he likes Rap because he has versatility and can play multiple positions. To me that means he can play both forward positions. Vic Law is NU's most highly rated recruit as he was ranked no. 66 or 71 in the nation. Lindsey averaged more than 15 ppg all season in the Big 10. That means he is athletic. It might be more fluid athletic and maybe not as explosive as a NBA player but a very good college player.

Nobody has mentioned that what we are looking for is a replacement for Lumpkin. The best defender of the 3 PFs will play major minutes, and probably start. Yes, Skelly looks like the most likely defender, and Falzon was pretty physical for a true frosh, but I wouldn't rule out any or all of the three getting decent minutes. Let's wait and see how quick Rap's defensive footwork is, then we'll know a lot more. We could use a backup at the 3, and some matchups there might work for Rap as well.

Similar to last season, when many wondered how to replace the 'Cats leading scorer Demps and our four year starter at center Olah, every season brings questions on replacements for graduating seniors. One thing is for sure is if you replace the graduating players with more talented and athletic players, the replacement process is a lot easier. With the addition of Falzon in the lineup, you will make the offense run a lot smoother, with less pressure on McIntosh, Law and Lindsey to have to create a shot on every position. Now teams can not help as easier and play off Lumpkin. Yes, NU will miss Lumpkin but IMHO, the additions of 4-star forwards Falzon, Ivanauskas and a rising SG Gaines who the experts have reported is a slashing and penetrating player which is a void on the team for NU last year will be an overall positive for NU particularly against more talented tournament worthy teams.

Reactions: NJCat
I'd cut Rap some slack. He will be a Freshman with zero playing time for over a year, and Skelly a 4th year Senior with mucho playing time experience. Rap will get playing time but the success of NU's season will not be on his shoulders. NU finally has the luxury of a deep roster allowing Freshmen to grow into their roles rather than being thrown to the wolves like they were in CCC's first years.

If Skelly doesn't cut down on his fouls significantly, Falzon and Rap will have plenty of chances to play.

If Skelly doesn't cut down on his fouls significantly, Falzon and Rap will have plenty of chances to play.
Rap and Falzon were very highly rated recruits, Skelly not so much. Agree that he needs to cut down on fouling and also needs to improve his outside shot quite a bit or he'll lose many minutes to Falzon and Rap.

Rap and Falzon were very highly rated recruits, Skelly not so much. Agree that he needs to cut down on fouling and also needs to improve his outside shot quite a bit or he'll lose many minutes to Falzon and Rap.
Agree about Skelly's fouls. But he is one of the best passers on the team and the offense runs well when he is in there. There will be plenty of time for all 3 guys to make an impact this season.

Reactions: DaCat
Is Charlie going to score this year, damnit? How about we put him in the game during mop up time and not just the last minute or so. True, he has to help us out because I think he missed the 2 or 3 shots he took.

If Charlie scores more than 10 points this year, that means we had a helluva year.

Is Charlie going to score this year, damnit? How about we put him in the game during mop up time and not just the last minute or so. True, he has to help us out because I think he missed the 2 or 3 shots he took.

If Charlie scores more than 10 points this year, that means we had a helluva year.
Charlie is licking his chops for the Lewis game.....

Who will score more this year, Charlie or Tino?

Ah, the luxuries of depth. On paper, Rap brings a very different skill set to the 4 than Falzon. With Falzon in, he creates space for guards and wings to attack the basket by stretching the D. With Rap in, it opens up an inside out game by (hopefully) forcing some double teams inside and creating outside shots for shooters at guard or wings

Pretty much how I see it as well - gives the coaching staff a lot of flexibility.

As for playing the 5, see Rap as more the in a pinch center (much like Skelly).

Lindsey is plenty athletic. He has a big ten body, ability to stay in front of anyone on D and has plenty of hops.

He's similar to Jershon Cobb in that he's very fluid in his movement. They may not look quick or like they are moving, but try staying in front of them.

Right on.

Nobody has mentioned that what we are looking for is a replacement for Lumpkin. The best defender of the 3 PFs will play major minutes, and probably start. Yes, Skelly looks like the most likely defender, and Falzon was pretty physical for a true frosh, but I wouldn't rule out any or all of the three getting decent minutes. Let's wait and see how quick Rap's defensive footwork is, then we'll know a lot more. We could use a backup at the 3, and some matchups there might work for Rap as well.

Going to miss Lumpkin's D and there doesn't seem to be a replacement on the roster right now.

Last season (when Lindsey was out), missed Scotty's D as much as his O.

With 3 defenders who can, at the very least, slow down the opponents top guards/wings (w/ Lumpkin also taking on PFs and even centers at times), it took opposing teams out of their offenses.

You're too infatuated with rankings.

Many of NU's top players were not highly rated and/or recruited (and for that matter, neither were some of Wisky's top players in the past 5-6 years).

BMac was only a 3* and neither Lindsey or Pardon were highly recruited (Vassar had a higher composite rating than both).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT