ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Field 2.0 Survey-ARE THEY NUTS?

Ryanfield124

Nov 3, 2021
Has anyone here received the survey from NU about new stadium amenities? Did anyone catch the parts about paying into the Wildcat fund to "earn" opportunities to purchase season tickets and the pricing?

I will share details but I was appalled at the pricing scam scheme. With all of the options Chicagoans/Alum have for entertainment dollars I find it hard to swallow upwards of $2500/seat for bench seats for the current and anticipated product we see on the gridiron. If (and perhaps I do) I have the discretionary means to pay upwards of $10k+/year on NU Football couldn't I also:
-Buy a multi-game package for the Cubs/White Sox/Bulls
-Court side for a Bulls game
-Stubhub my way into select Blackhawks games
-Be a Chicago Fire VIP
-Be a big-time donor at NIU Football?
-Go to select Badger games
-Great seats for a few Bears games?
-Chicago Sky VIP
-Other?
With a prestigious economics school and graduate school does our athletic department grasp the concept of market demand? Of all the options in Chicago where do they think they will be able to command the prices they think are possible based on some of the alternatives I have listed? What am I missing?

Reactions: Rebel_
Has anyone here received the survey from NU about new stadium amenities? Did anyone catch the parts about paying into the Wildcat fund to "earn" opportunities to purchase season tickets and the pricing?

I will share details but I was appalled at the pricing scam scheme. With all of the options Chicagoans/Alum have for entertainment dollars I find it hard to swallow upwards of $2500/seat for bench seats for the current and anticipated product we see on the gridiron. If (and perhaps I do) I have the discretionary means to pay upwards of $10k+/year on NU Football couldn't I also:
-Be a Chicago Fire VIP
-Chicago Sky VIP
-Other?
With a prestigious economics school and graduate school does our athletic department grasp the concept of market demand? Of all the options in Chicago where do they think they will be able to command the prices they think are possible based on some of the alternatives I have listed? What am I missing?

So you missed the seventeen other threads on the topic?

Step back from the ledge. The whole point was to figure out how high prices can get set before people start bailing on tickets, nothing is finalized. It is literally a “market demand“ exercise, to use your own phrasing.

Reactions: HawkCat
It's always fascinating to me how surveys like this get used. Like, do you really think we don't understand why/how you're asking how much we would pay, and do you really expect an honest answer?

Unless they only plan on raising prices like 15% and this was just their way of making that an easier pill to swallow, in which case they are evil geniuses.

It's always fascinating to me how surveys like this get used. Like, do you really think we don't understand why/how you're asking how much we would pay, and do you really expect an honest answer?

Unless they only plan on raising prices like 15% and this was just their way of making that an easier pill to swallow, in which case they are evil geniuses.
I have yet to talk with anyone who has not had a similar response(which I also had), not realizing it is a survey. They threw in the pictures of other stadia (stadiums ?) and niceties as examples. BUT until there is a product on the field that warrants the high priced spread, I doubt anyone will spring for the prices they are asking. One critical question, or two, asked how much you would be willing to spend on a season ticket. Hell, the students who essentially get in free (of course there is that tuition which is NOT free) don't even show up. Look at the "running of the sophomores" that was a small percentage of that class who ran in and filled one-half of one section, maybe. Ryanfield has exactly the response that the powers that be will see in the majority of their answers.

Reactions: lunker35

I'll bet CoralSpringsCat voted for higher ticket prices because the only remaining fans will be superfans.

Reactions: IGNORE2

I did consumer survey market research for about 5 years. I used to think it was the grail of data for making decisions about product configuration, pricing, etc. Now I realize that it was a false god.

That survey was a joke.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
I did consumer survey market research for about 5 years. I used to think it was the grail of data for making decisions about product configuration, pricing, etc. Now I realize that it was a false god.

That survey was a joke.
One point I'd like to make is data is useful but context is more important. This is why VW could make a car like the Phaeton which was as good as anything on the road at $100k BUT forgot that nobody is willing to pay $100k for a VW.

In the survey, they talked about Texas. Here are a few reasons why Texas commands those prices:
1. Fanbase- More demand than supply plus you're paying for the "experience" of being at a Texas game with all the pageantry, engagement, and on-field product.
2. Availability- What are your sports options in Austin, TX? What are mine in Chicago
3. Expectation-Since Mack Brown won a Natty, they have had three coaches! They don't want success every once in a while. They want it ALL the time. Because that's what they pay for. They can't charge what we want to charge and be 3-7 in November. NO WAY
This is why VW can't ask for Bentley prices on cars even though they are owned by the same group and use common parts that customers will never see.

-Be a Chicago Fire VIP
-Chicago Sky VIP
-Other?
What are you missing? Looks like, the opportunity to be a Cat's fan. It's gonna be okay, and no one is going to charge you $2500 for bench seats.

One point I'd like to make is data is useful but context is more important. This is why VW could make a car like the Phaeton which was as good as anything on the road at $100k BUT forgot that nobody is willing to pay $100k for a VW.

In the survey, they talked about Texas. Here are a few reasons why Texas commands those prices:
1. Fanbase- More demand than supply plus you're paying for the "experience" of being at a Texas game with all the pageantry, engagement, and on-field product.
2. Availability- What are your sports options in Austin, TX? What are mine in Chicago
3. Expectation-Since Mack Brown won a Natty, they have had three coaches! They don't want success every once in a while. They want it ALL the time. Because that's what they pay for. They can't charge what we want to charge and be 3-7 in November. NO WAY
This is why VW can't ask for Bentley prices on cars even though they are owned by the same group and use common parts that customers will never see.
Texas? What did I miss? I saw TCU as an example, but that’s Fort Worth not Austin. I have been to a few games in Austin, the renovation of Ryan will not be anything like what is in Austin. Fort Worth hopefully.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT