ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously??

Great. Get a new Coach and start over if it makes you feel better. No way in hell this loss was totally on the Coach. I know I’ll get all kind of shit for saying that. Have at it. However, when one your your guards is fouling a 3 point shooter with 2 seconds on the clock when he started 5 feet away ( he wasn’t getting to the hole in 2 seconds) its on the player. Your best player has to take over He had wide open looks. In fact, you can’t blame this on hero ball as NU had much better looks than PSU. NU missed some very makable looks and PSU made some difficult shots. I just don’t see enough scoring on this team to be a factor and I’ve said that from the start. Boo played very well and Beran had his best game if the season. You can judge everyone else’s game. This team will upset a few teams, but I could also seeing them lose to Nebraska or anyone else. They isn’t a lot of room for error.
I didn’t say it was all on Collins. But we keep seeing the same storyline season after season as ”his” players get older with more experience.

Bottom line- he‘s the CEO of the team- so if they disappoint it’s on him. He’s the guy in charge of recruiting the players, developing them, and making decisions in game.

I’m on the record in the past as saying he deserved time until this class was JR/SR level- he’s got that now and we keep seeing the same meltdowns in the final 5-10 mins of games.

People are staying away. That had to be the worst home crowd I’ve seen for a B1G game in my 20 years of season tickets.
I agree. Combination of Covid and weather.
After the game, not a single athletic department employee anywhere to found. One young lady volunteered that she would convey my message. My message was that if Collins’s is back, I will not renew season tickets. To the game, attendance at the game, and travel home is 3.5 hours. What a waste!

Reactions: IGNORE2
1) Nance didn't see the ball enough in the second half. This group can't allow Nance to only shoot twice in the first 17 minutes of a half.

2) I don't know what to say about this second group. Yes, you have to develop them, but four minutes of these guys is a killer. Cats were up by 8, then here comes Greer, Young, Elijayh, Simmons and I believe Berry. Lead is cut in half, then CC brings in Buie and an obviously struggling Audige to stop the bleeding, and it's a one possession game before you know it.

I can't decide if I hate that lineup or how it's used. A lot of both. You can't try to support a mediocre first team with that group all at once.

It is more complex than that. The problem is that at heart NU wants to be University of Chicago, but why do we need two of those? Plus we are not going to beat them out at what they do best, intellectual endeavor.
Didn't know U of C had also invested $1B in athletic facilities.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
After the game, not a single athletic department employee anywhere to found. One young lady volunteered that she would convey my message. My message was that if Collins’s is back, I will not renew season tickets. To the game, attendance at the game, and travel home is 3.5 hours. What a waste!
Wait, huh? 3.5 hours including the game itself? In the weather? That’s, like… not bad at all.

1) Nance didn't see the ball enough in the second half. This group can't allow Nance to only shoot twice in the first 17 minutes of a half.

2) I don't know what to say about this second group. Yes, you have to develop them, but four minutes of these guys is a killer. Cats were up by 8, then here comes Greer, Young, Elijayh, Simmons and I believe Berry. Lead is cut in half, then CC brings in Buie and an obviously struggling Audige to stop the bleeding, and it's a one possession game before you know it.

I can't decide if I hate that lineup or how it's used. A lot of both. You can't try to support a mediocre first team with that group all at once.
He needs to space out the subs instead of having the 5 man unit stuff. Proud of what Greer has done through several years of hard work, but in big 10 games he’s still a limited minutes guy. Williams and Young typically play well off each other, but I don’t think they need to be out there with 2-3 other bench players all at once.

This team needs to be better on the boards. Way too often our offense is one shot- and if we don‘t make it that’s the possession. Our personnel isn‘t the best for rebounding, but not sure we max what we have either.

Good. Can we all make a pack to stop attending games, stop buying gear, stop donating and only watch or listen in ways not picked up by ratings? Gragg has to feel threatened to fix this.
Agree with most of this, but still buy stuff. Their retailer is a small business run by some of the best people in the world. Dave and Cindy are gems and they don’t deserve to have their life impacted by bad NU decisions.

Agree with most of this, but still buy stuff. Their retailer is a small business run by some of the best people in the world. Dave and Cindy are gems and they don’t deserve to have their life impacted by bad NU decisions.
100%. I (a die hard fan of >25 years) have waned in interest but my NU “identity” is not defined by the current state of FB/BB teams so I will continue to buy plenty of gear from Let’s Tailgate. They are great.

Sometimes (and it seems to happen a lot in this particular matchup) the opposing players just can't seem to miss down the stretch. I'm not going to go back and watch this but I can think of at least 5-6 shots that they made during their second-half run that any objective observer would consider 8/10 or higher in degree of difficulty. Yes, making more shots than the other team wins games. But NU was more fundamentally sound tonight. Better to be lucky than good... but this one obviously hurts.

Yeah, by my count PSU was 8-11 from the field in the last 10 minutes, one was fallaway prayer heave that went in off the glass. They made shots, scored 31 in the last 10 after getting 43 in the first 30 minutes. Lundy went 1-11 from 3 in an OT loss to LSU earlier this season, he went 5-9 tonight and I think made his last 3, including the one where he got hit by Berry and still made it. If he misses a couple we're all talking about being relieved to gut out a win.

And just like on Sunday with front ends of 1-and-1s we miss another one in a big spot. Nance then gets an open look again when it's tied and can't put it in.

They made the shots, we didn't.

It sucks because we've seen this act before dozens of time (with this coach and the previous one), but if I haven't jumped off this bandwagon after the last 26 years it's not like this is going to be the last straw or anything.

We have to be the most un-clutch team in D1 the last few years. We all knew we were going to fold, we knew Nance would miss the front end of the 1-on-1. I think we had 4 points over 8 minutes before the last 20 seconds.

And finally Collins benched Audige after 2 bad possessions in the 2h.

I appreciate you pointing out specific’s related to things we could or should have done better in this loss. Usually, it is generalities that CCC blew the game and it is based nothing from the actual game we watched. I blasted CCc last year when the team went into the turtle with leads in the second half. I just don’t see the usual talking points in this one:

1) didn’t play Young enough. Nope, he was struggling offensively.
2) allowed hero ball. Nope, two main culprits didn’t jack up a lot of dumb shots.
3) didn’t take any action on Boo when he got off of control. Nope, Boo was yanked and was by far NU’s best player.
4) Played Beran too much. Nope, he played well
5) Played zone that allowed open 3’s. Nope, shots were contested.

I just don’t see the egregious coaching blunders in this game. In fact, I haven’t seen many of them this season. I saw plenty. Of them the past two seasons. I believe people way overestimate NU’s talent. Pete probably starts on any B1G team, Boo would start on a lot and imo, most of the other players wouldn’t start on more than a few lower half teams. They are more Big Ten players, they just still miss the top end guys that carry you through the tough points of games. Even Nebraska has a 5 star Freshman. We get teased when they flash, but at the end of the day we’ll end up in the standings in a spot where we deserve to be. I do think we will upset a couple top big ten teams this season, but also could see NU lose to any B1G team. This was a bad loss, but PSU made some very difficult shots and NU missed their shots when it mattered. The players were put in position to win this game. This time it’s on them.

I appreciate you pointing out specific’s related to things we could or should have done better in this loss. Usually, it is generalities that CCC blew the game and it is based nothing from the actual game we watched. I blasted CCc last year when the team went into the turtle with leads in the second half. I just don’t see the usual talking points in this one:

1) didn’t play Young enough. Nope, he was struggling offensively.
2) allowed hero ball. Nope, two main culprits didn’t jack up a lot of dumb shots.
3) didn’t take any action on Boo when he got off of control. Nope, Boo was yanked and was by far NU’s best player.
4) Played Beran too much. Nope, he played well
5) Played zone that allowed open 3’s. Nope, shots were contested.

I just don’t see the egregious coaching blunders in this game. In fact, I haven’t seen many of them this season. I saw plenty. Of them the past two seasons. I believe people way overestimate NU’s talent. Pete probably starts on any B1G team, Boo would start on a lot and imo, most of the other players wouldn’t start on more than a few lower half teams. They are more Big Ten players, they just still miss the top end guys that carry you through the tough points of games. Even Nebraska has a 5 star Freshman. We get teased when they flash, but at the end of the day we’ll end up in the standings in a spot where we deserve to be. I do think we will upset a couple top big ten teams this season, but also could see NU lose to any B1G team. This was a bad loss, but PSU made some very difficult shots and NU missed their shots when it mattered. The players were put in position to win this game. This time it’s on them.
At some point, isn’t “actually the players aren’t that good” also on the coach?

Like, NU didn’t blow their second straight double-digit lead at home in-conference because the coaching was *specifically* bad, but because they’re not good enough to hold double-digit leads in home conference games. Again.

Is Gragg visible at the games like JP was?

It is more complex than that. The problem is that at heart NU wants to be University of Chicago, but why do we need two of those? Plus we are not going to beat them out at what they do best, intellectual endeavor.
Interesting argument, but I disagree. Henry Biennen wanted us to be U of C, but Morty has embraced the fact that we have Big 10 athletics. I also don't think the students want to be U of C either. If you got into NU then you likely had some pretty good other options for college, meaning you could have chosen a small hyper academic school (think U of C, Wash U, Amherst, Carleton, etc.), but instead made the choice to go to NU. There are quite a few kids who are deciding between U of C and Northwestern and everyone knows how different they are, the kids who choose NU want sports, greek life, and reasonable facisimile of a Big 10 school.

Now the factulty on the other hand, every single one of them one would jump at the opportunity to teach at U of C, huge step up.

Great. Get a new Coach and start over if it makes you feel better. No way in hell this loss was totally on the Coach. I know I’ll get all kind of shit for saying that. Have at it. However, when one your your guards is fouling a 3 point shooter with 2 seconds on the clock when he started 5 feet away ( he wasn’t getting to the hole in 2 seconds) its on the player. Your best player has to take over He had wide open looks. In fact, you can’t blame this on hero ball as NU had much better looks than PSU. NU missed some very makable looks and PSU made some difficult shots. I just don’t see enough scoring on this team to be a factor and I’ve said that from the start. Boo played very well and Beran had his best game if the season. You can judge everyone else’s game. This team will upset a few teams, but I could also seeing them lose to Nebraska or anyone else. They isn’t a lot of room for error.
Buck stops with? Blame trump - might as well - many believe he is the source of all and anything that goes wrong…

100%. I (a die hard fan of >25 years) have waned in interest but my NU “identity” is not defined by the current state of FB/BB teams so I will continue to buy plenty of gear from Let’s Tailgate. They are great.
No disagreement. I was thinking purchases on campus or from Amazon. I usually buy the niece something NU to push her in that direction. I decided not too this year. Just wasn’t feeling it.

I want so bad for CCC to turn the corner, but it just isn't happening. This year was supposed to be the year when his solid recruiting class of Nance and Kopp were seniors and the program would be "rebuilt". Well, Kopp remained mediocre and is now gone and Nance, while a solid player, is not the star player we need him to be at this stage. As was pointed out in the game thread, last night showed that Nance is not ever gong to be that guy who puts the team on his back and wills them to victory.

Now, I have no delusions that some new coach will step in here and magically fix things. The new guy will deal with the same crap Collins has to deal with - an admissions office that handcuffs him, horrendous fan support and very limited history of success. As I've complained for football (and, of course, it's a not entirely accurate generalization), NU recruits the study body president athletes. They are great kids. The kind you'd want your daughter (or son) to marry. But, in basketball especially, you need a certain toughness, a grittiness, a nasty streak... our guys are simply too sweet. Pete Nance should be scowling while dominating that PSU front court with his size and quickness. Robbie Beran should be a stone-cold killer with his combination of skills. I still think Ryan Young apologizes to the opposing player every time he scores over them. They are fantastic guys, but I don't want fantastic guys on the basketball team.

That all said, at some point you have to make a change for change's sake. Who is listening to Collins' pitch anymore? He has had so much recent failure that it has erased the narrative of the first few years. Recruits no longer see some up and coming brilliant coach who is building something special at Northwestern. He's now the guy who always has his team in the basement of the BIG10 just like all the other NU coaches before him. Nothing new anymore. We need a new face and new voice in the locker room and in recruits' living rooms. It may not work. It probably won't work. But the status quo means season after season of fighting for 13th place.

Hopefully everyone on this board is willing to concede that the head coach determines which players are on the court.

The results follow from those decisions.

Collins took Young off the floor with 7:35 to play and NU leading 57-53.
He put in "the starters." (Nance, Beran, Audie, Berry, Buie)
Over the next 6:15 we scored 6 points.
This was the longest stretch played by any 5 man group in the entire game.

We lost.

... I believe people way overestimate NU’s talent ...

... The players were put in position to win this game. This time it’s on them.
1) Yes, we have the people who went out of the way to set expectations seen only once or twice in the history of NU so they can make their argument.

However, I was pretty surprised at the optimism by some going into conference play based on an INCREDIBLY weak pre-conference schedule.

I think we also saw the poor judgement in NU's talent after the MSU game and an expectation of what this offense can be. There's NO ONE who you can depend on to consistently score on this team. Man, they have some great runs. But I'd also be willing to accept that they haven't been coached how to get a basket in a tough situation. There's any number of reasons. But when you:

a) Can't depend on your top two scorers;
b) One of them doesn't really have that edge to try and takeover a game:
c) Your 7th-10th players (much less your 5th and 6th players) provide very little threat;

That's not a good offense.

2) Does it really matter whether it's the the fault of players or CC? Maybe for message board chatter it matters. But Collins recruits the players. He teaches the players. We see his strong weaknesses in both areas over a long period of time that good fans hope he can overcome.

But in the end, no matter how bad the institutional issues are, the losses fall on Collins. And if the season continues in this direction, I couldn't ignore it if I were Gragg. This is a revenue sport that you need to keep trying to make relevant in a really competitive sports market.

Hopefully everyone on this board is willing to concede that the head coach determines which players are on the court.

The results follow from those decisions.

Collins took Young off the floor with 7:35 to play and NU leading 57-53.
He put in "the starters." (Nance, Beran, Audie, Berry, Buie)
Over the next 6:15 we scored 6 points.
This was the longest stretch played by any 5 man group in the entire game.

We lost.
So it is unreasonable to have your starters in at the most critical time? That makes no sense unless you are starting the incorrect players.

who should have been it at that time? I saw a bench that did next to nothing.

I want so bad for CCC to turn the corner, but it just isn't happening. This year was supposed to be the year when his solid recruiting class of Nance and Kopp were seniors and the program would be "rebuilt". Well, Kopp remained mediocre and is now gone and Nance, while a solid player, is not the star player we need him to be at this stage. As was pointed out in the game thread, last night showed that Nance is not ever gong to be that guy who puts the team on his back and wills them to victory.

Now, I have no delusions that some new coach will step in here and magically fix things. The new guy will deal with the same crap Collins has to deal with - an admissions office that handcuffs him, horrendous fan support and very limited history of success. As I've complained for football (and, of course, it's a not entirely accurate generalization), NU recruits the study body president athletes. They are great kids. The kind you'd want your daughter (or son) to marry. But, in basketball especially, you need a certain toughness, a grittiness, a nasty streak... our guys are simply too sweet. Pete Nance should be scowling while dominating that PSU front court with his size and quickness. Robbie Beran should be a stone-cold killer with his combination of skills. I still think Ryan Young apologizes to the opposing player every time he scores over them. They are fantastic guys, but I don't want fantastic guys on the basketball team.

That all said, at some point you have to make a change for change's sake. Who is listening to Collins' pitch anymore? He has had so much recent failure that it has erased the narrative of the first few years. Recruits no longer see some up and coming brilliant coach who is building something special at Northwestern. He's now the guy who always has his team in the basement of the BIG10 just like all the other NU coaches before him. Nothing new anymore. We need a new face and new voice in the locker room and in recruits' living rooms. It may not work. It probably won't work. But the status quo means season after season of fighting for 13th place.
It’s no skin off my back if they make a change at the end of the season. I am sure it would result in a short term boost to the results. I have grave doubts it would turn NU into a consistent winner or even contender for tournaments outside of the CBI.

Let’s be honest here, many people had their minds made up long before tip off this year. I keep asking what egregious coaching error was made yesterday? It always comes back to CCC recruits the players, develops the players and is the CEO or whatever. Very few posters really acknowledge your second paragraph relating to self created institutional obstacles NU Coaches have. They give it a passing nod, but the gravity of the obstacle is rarely acknowledged. We spent $$ on facilities is constantly brought up, like that is what makes a winning team. It doesn’t. Yes, you need them as table stakes, but NU can’t recruit those gritty street ball kids from CPL for a reason. That reason is not CCC.

Like many here who say they won’t tune in or go to games, I need to check out of the BB board for the next series of games. It’s not going to be pretty the next 5 games and constant bitching about this being the HC’s problem is mind numbing. The torches are lit and pitchforks are swinging. It’s going to be worse than the JON threads and JON has never done a thing at NU.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
That reason is not CCC.

... and constant bitching about this being the HC’s problem is mind numbing. The torches are lit and pitchforks are swinging ...
Obviously, CC is not the complete reason. But you can't ignore that he plays a pretty strong part. And I think you've already done that when you blasted him in the past.

Yes, the generalities like the first page or so of this thread are painful. But when you understand this isn't the most knowledgeable fan base, the pitchforks are easier to take.

I don't know why people would go nutty on CC anyhow. If he had a tourney season, I'd bet he'd jump at the first offer to be done with this.

And if he has a lousy season, there was already an off-season sign that Gragg wasn't in his corner.

Obviously, CC is not the complete reason. But you can't ignore that he plays a pretty strong part. And I think you've already done that when you blasted him in the past.

Yes, the generalities like the first page or so of this thread are painful. But when you understand this isn't the most knowledgeable fan base, the pitchforks are easier to take.

I don't know why people would go nutty on CC anyhow. If he had a tourney season, I'd bet he'd jump at the first offer to be done with this.

And if he has a lousy season, there was already an off-season sign that Gragg wasn't in his corner.
What was that sign, I missed it?

It’s no skin off my back if they make a change at the end of the season. I am sure it would result in a short term boost to the results. I have grave doubts it would turn NU into a consistent winner or even contender for tournaments outside of the CBI.

Let’s be honest here, many people had their minds made up long before tip off this year. I keep asking what egregious coaching error was made yesterday? It always comes back to CCC recruits the players, develops the players and is the CEO or whatever. Very few posters really acknowledge your second paragraph relating to self created institutional obstacles NU Coaches have. They give it a passing nod, but the gravity of the obstacle is rarely acknowledged. We spent $$ on facilities is constantly brought up, like that is what makes a winning team. It doesn’t. Yes, you need them as table stakes, but NU can’t recruit those gritty street ball kids from CPL for a reason. That reason is not CCC.

Like many here who say they won’t tune in or go to games, I need to check out of the BB board for the next series of games. It’s not going to be pretty the next 5 games and constant bitching about this being the HC’s problem is mind numbing. The torches are lit and pitchforks are swinging. It’s going to be worse than the JON threads and JON has never done a thing at NU.
I am being civil here, trying to have an interesting and productive debate here.

Regarding yesterday's game and coaches mistakes:

1) I did not see the 2nd half, one more of many examples as to why Xfinity is horrendous

2) I saw the combination of Young/Nance stopping Harrar from hurting us. Also creating a bigger mismatch for Nance as a result. I saw Young helping rebounding while being uncharacteristically ineffective on offense. I don't know what happened in the 2nd half. I don't know if the Beran best of season numbers were, effectively, good or bad for the team. But I know that he is the guy CC trusts to finish games. It was obvious against MSU. And that's a mistake.

3) I saw the same substitution patterns that, for me, make zero sense. Wonderland ideas that 4 to 5 guys off the bench at the same time is a good idea. Happened against MSU too. It can mean 4 points in each half, seem like no big deal but, effectively, cost you 6 to 8 points in a tight game. Wins and losses are made of little things. Again, don't know what happened in the 2nd half

4) Most importantly I saw a team playing, once again, not to the mismatches it had, but to the never ending desire to create 3's from outside motion. That is 100% coaching, corrected by just calling different plays. Which we have, plays to put the back in Nance's or Young's hands. Not necessarily to have them score, but to create offense off of it. Heck, just call plays 4, 5, 44, 55. Those being plays designed to get the ball to the 4 or 5. Yell them from the sideline and you force Buie to run something for Nance, or whoever is playing 4 ot 5. We have little maturity when it comes to strategy. That's coaching when the players have not exactly stepped on campus for the first time last week.

I was hoping for this team to finally turn it around this year. Even then, I had modest hopes for them making the tournament because of the competition in the Big Ten. That being said, last night's game was a huge disappointment because if they can't win these games, it means they have not turned the corner, and it will probably be more of the same this year. I won't get bent out of shape because of one game, but if this continues for the rest of the year, collapsing against teams they should win against, I think it is time to move on from Chris Collins.

1) Yes, we have the people who went out of the way to set expectations seen only once or twice in the history of NU so they can make their argument.
You know that is not fair. Because it ignores that setting expectations at, say, 6 or 7 wins, is doing the same for folks who think CC is competent. It's setting the bar so low just to prove he is competent.

Other than that, great post. Really good points.

You could/should have stopped after 2nd sentence in the second paragraph. Admissions!

I am being civil here, trying to have an interesting and productive debate here.

1) I did not see the 2nd half, one more of many examples as to why Xfinity is horrendous

2) I saw the combination of Young/Nance stopping Harrar from hurting us. Also creating a bigger mismatch for Nance as a result. I saw Young helping rebounding while being uncharacteristically ineffective on offense. I don't know what happened in the 2nd half. I don't know if the Beran best of season numbers were, effectively, good or bad for the team. But I know that he is the guy CC trusts to finish games. It was obvious against MSU. And that's a mistake.

3) I saw the same substitution patterns that, for me, make zero sense. Wonderland ideas that 4 to 5 guys off the bench at the same time is a good idea. Happened against MSU too. It can mean 4 points in each half, seem like no big deal but, effectively, cost you 6 to 8 points in a tight game. Wins and losses are made of little things. Again, don't know what happened in the 2nd half

4) Most importantly I saw a team playing, once again, not to the mismatches it had, but to the never ending desire to create 3's from outside motion. That is 100% coaching, corrected by just calling different plays. Which we have, plays to put the back in Nance's or Young's hands. Not necessarily to have them score, but to create offense off of it. Heck, just call plays 4, 5, 44, 55. Those being plays designed to get the ball to the 4 or 5. Yell them from the sideline and you force Buie to run something for Nance, or whoever is playing 4 ot 5. We have little maturity when it comes to strategy. That's coaching when the players have not exactly stepped on campus for the first time last week.
Very much agree with 3 and 4. I think Berry made his 4 point play only to get subbed out right after he shot the free throw. When you make a play like this it has a way of creating both individual confidence (getting in the zone) and team momentum. But he subs right out. That was odd to me and we see a lot of that. You leave your hot hand(s) in the game.

4) it was really frustrating to see NU have no clear plan to attack the PSU defense in that long stretch in the second half. Seems like they are just calling “motion” and seeing what came of it. There have got to be some plays and designs to exploit a zone or other mismatches in the game. I’d like to see so much more here. Bardo called out a play where Beran posted his smaller man up in the lane as Nance had pulled his defender (harrah I think) out to the three point line - where Nance clearly has to be defended. What a great way to exploit Beran’s size mismatch while getting the PSU big out of the lane. And Beran scored and got fouled. Not sure if this was a designed play but we needed to see ten more instances of those types of exploited mismatches. Certainly Nance creates mismatches with his ability to drive and shoot versus many bigs.

I’d agree with you if games like today, with offensive meltdowns exactly like today, haven’t been a hallmark of CC’s tenure for.. well nearly the entire tenure.

Eventually, it’s just, like, it’s his fault.
Yup - it was a lot better when we were more regularly just uncompetitive during the tenures of ALL of our other coaches. /s

This is a bad loss, but all teams have bad losses. Look at Providence at Marquette this week; I’d be much more worried about them, where the team gave up. Collins won’t let these guys give up. Do we have enough relative talent to reach our goals? Still debatable. We just simply can’t implode on defense and give up 45 points in the second half and expect to win.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I'm super disappointed with our results last night. At the same time I didn't see any major in-game coaching errors. What I saw was players missing "easy" shots and free throws down the stretch. I don't know how to coach kids into making their shots.

We could have gotten a few calls in our favor, especially Boo getting raped under the basket at the end, but even then the kids would have had to make their free throws.

So maybe last week the team learned about shot selection and this week they practice their free throws more? I dunno. I'll keep going to the games I can and enjoy what I can enjoy about them. I'd really love to see a lot more of that last few minutes version of Pete (but who also makes his FTs) because that fired up kid was dangerous.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I agree with 3 & 4 as an overall criticism of CCC. We definitely aren’t good enough to have 4 subs in for an extended period of time in a competitive game. I think between Pete, Chase and Boo, we should make every effort to have 2 of the 3 on the court at all times. Of course, depends on Chase’s health as he clearly was laboring against PSU. Yesterday, we got very little from the bench. Williams adds a little zip to the team with his hustle and I would be for giving him more run in certain situations.

as for #4, running the O through Pete and Young, that makes sense too. They have to touch the ball in the half court O. Both are pretty good passers. Yesterday, I thought we tried to do that more than in the past. We just seemed to forgot about that during that crucial 4 minute stretch that we couldn’t score. Pretty sure yesterday, we shot a worse FG % for twos than 3’s. NU’s 3 point shooting was pretty good other than Chase.

I didn’t notice the Harrar point you make. I could be mistaken, but by memory Harrar seemed to do more damage in the 1st half. Young did take a couple nice offensive charges from him, but I don’t see Harrar go off when the combo of Pete/Young weren’t in the game. Young had a rare off night on offense. Never looked comfortable and he didn’t get the ball in the proper spots on the court.

#1 yes Comcast sucks.

Interesting argument, but I disagree. Henry Biennen wanted us to be U of C, but Morty has embraced the fact that we have Big 10 athletics. I also don't think the students want to be U of C either. If you got into NU then you likely had some pretty good other options for college, meaning you could have chosen a small hyper academic school (think U of C, Wash U, Amherst, Carleton, etc.), but instead made the choice to go to NU. There are quite a few kids who are deciding between U of C and Northwestern and everyone knows how different they are, the kids who choose NU want sports, greek life, and reasonable facisimile of a Big 10 school.

Now the factulty on the other hand, every single one of them one would jump at the opportunity to teach at U of C, huge step up.
That's what I was getting at though, that the Biennen undercurrent still exists among the faculty. I believe this affects the major sports mainly through admissions. Neither Fitz nor CCC can get enough of the type of players they really need. Compounding that, is likely the perception among elite athletes that NU is never going to be elite at Football or Basketball. It takes stellar recruiting to overcome that, if it is even possible. As has been discussed many times, Duke got to be a basketball power in part with more tolerant admissions. If NU wants to be a basketball power, there is no point in hiring a new coach unless admissions is also addressed. Otherwise it will be the same old story.

Last edited:

I would have applied to U of C if they offered undergrad engineering, but they didn't. They're too elite for engineering, or something.

I probably would still have preferred NU due to the Big Ten athletics, but the fact that U of C didn't even offer my preferred major made that an easy decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT