ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously??

Northwestern is 1-5 in games decided by fewer than ten points this season.

Northwestern was 5-8 in such games last season.

Northwestern was 3-11 in such games the previous season.

I haven’t looked up such records for any other coaches, but I presume their winning percentages are better than 27% (9-24). I welcome you to look up Izzo or Painter or PSU or Nebraska , which have both fired their coaches in this time. They’re probably all better than Northwestern.

Note: this does not include Radford, which beat NU by 11.
Uh-huh. I guess you're assuming that the game would just play out with the same defense and same offensive sets but then Izzo and Painter would just magically push a few buttons to get an extra ten points per game for the squad a month after coming onboard?

I think we're definitely well past the point where we should just agree to disagree. ;)

I think you underestimate the impact that personnel management has on games. Especially for a team like NU that has a bunch of "good" guys but no true stars who can just play hero ball or call an iso play when you need a bucket. In game substitutions, defesnive schemes (staying in zone, switching to man etc.) matter. NU is not getting blown out, they are consistently losing close games and there are many who criticize Collins for who he puts out on the floor and his in-game substitution patterns (Beran and Boo play too much, Young/Berry play too little, Free Nicholson etc.) I don't know who is right in these specific debates, but I do know that in-game coaching and minute distribution matters and has an impact on the game; this is an area where Collins seems to struggle.
That's cool. I think you overestimate it.

It's certainly an important part of coaching, but I think it's hilarious that you think that these coaches would immediately walk in as games are starting and already know the perfect alchemy of players they didn't recruit, they have never coached, and that have been playing completely different offensive and defensive systems.

Love Izzo and Painter. Think they would do incredibly well at NU if NU was somehow lucky enough to land them. But they ain't Merlin or Dumbledore.

That's cool. I think you overestimate it.

It's certainly an important part of coaching, but I think it's hilarious that you think that these coaches would immediately walk in as games are starting and already know the perfect alchemy of players they didn't recruit, they have never coached, and that have been playing completely different offensive and defensive systems.

Love Izzo and Painter. Think they would do incredibly well at NU if NU was somehow lucky enough to land them. But they ain't Merlin or Dumbledore.
Yeah, this is the problem with hypotheticals. I was assuming that the coaches would have some practices and have watched some NU hoops and you (fairly) assumed they would be walking in cold. My only real point was that better in-game tacticians could get more out of this roster because we have some actual talent that in my opinion is being underutilized or being used incorrectly.

There were some Carmody teams that I don't think any coach could have taken to the Tourney; I don't think that's the case with this team.

Uh-huh. I guess you're assuming that the game would just play out with the same defense and same offensive sets but then Izzo and Painter would just magically push a few buttons to get an extra ten points per game for the squad a month after coming onboard?

I think we're definitely well past the point where we should just agree to disagree. ;)
For what it’s worth, a) your opinion is wrong 😂, and b) Izzo’s teams are 22-13 (63%) in ten-point games since 2019-20, and c) Painter’s teams are 22-18 (55%).

Reactions: hoosboot

Nobody said Painter or Izzo would add TEN more points in every game - that NU would have won every competitive game it was in over the last 3 years.

Thats a pretty gross mischaracterization of what others (including me) are saying.

Cheap argument tactics - making crap up and claiming the other guy said it.

Nobody said Painter or Izzo would add TEN more points in every game - that NU would have won every competitive game it was in over the last 3 years.

Thats a pretty gross mischaracterization of what others (including me) are saying.

Cheap argument tactics - making crap up and claiming the other guy said it.
Um...okay. Is your name also NUCat320? That's who I responded to, so not sure why you're so bent out of shape (but I'm sure he totally appreciates your distress over the mistreatment he is facing here.)

For what it’s worth, a) your opinion is wrong 😂, and b) Izzo’s teams are 22-13 (63%) in ten-point games since 2019-20, and c) Painter’s teams are 22-18 (55%).
So, is your contention that teams with good winning percentages also have good winning percentages on games within 10 points? I would guess that would normally be the case.

So, is your contention that teams with good winning percentages also have good winning percentages on games within 10 points? I would guess that would normally be the case.
My contention is that basketball records are totally random and that coaches ultimately have no responsibility for their records, in close games, in blowouts, on Thursdays.

My further contention is that all is decided by fate, and that one’s destiny cannot be changed and that you and I and all wildcat fans are fated to misery (unless we switch our hoops allegiances to Kentucky).

CCC makes no mistakes and should get another lifetime contract. He beat Maryland!

For what it’s worth, the worst-coached team I have ever seen is the 2017-18 Wildcats, totally hopeless and without will because their coach couldn’t force two of their top three guys to get along.

Most programs stack double-digit losing streaks every year, right?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
My contention is that basketball records are totally random and that coaches ultimately have no responsibility for their records, in close games, in blowouts, on Thursdays.

My further contention is that all is decided by fate, and that one’s destiny cannot be changed and that you and I and all wildcat fans are fated to misery (unless we switch our hoops allegiances to Kentucky).

CCC makes no mistakes and should get another lifetime contract. He beat Maryland!

For what it’s worth, the worst-coached team I have ever seen is the 2017-18 Wildcats, totally hopeless and without will because their coach couldn’t force two of their top three guys to get along.

Your posts makes me think you believe that I'm a big CCC guy. I think most of the big CCC peeps would be surprised to hear that.

My big complaint about the CCC era echoes what I've been saying about installing Izzo or Painter the first week of the season...after a decent amount of time at the school, I see little evidence of a system or identity in the program CCC leads.

I'm in danger of looking like PWB with how I repeat myself, but I believe that Northwestern HAS to be a developmental program to be successful. The team needs to have an identity, needs to recruit to a system, and needs to develop players to excel in it. Wisconsin does that extremely well. Painter does that extremely well at Purdue. I couldn't tell you what that identity is supposed to be at NU and that's a problem.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

You, PWB and others will lose your mind after Maryland beats NU in the next game.

You, PWB and others will lose your mind after Maryland beats NU in the next game.
Why do you think I will lose my mind?
Oh wait, you're saying I will go insane with Collins observations?

I will tell you this - I am going to the game. If you hear somebody yell "Do something different" at the opening tip, that will be me.

I also thought about bringing a "Free MN" sign, but people will think I'm making a political statement about Minnesota and "Nicholson" won't fit on a sign.

Reactions: IGNORE2
So what is the threshold for one losing his mind here? If not 1-4, maybe 1-10?
No there is not a threshold. Lose your mind whenever you feel like you need to. It’s not a rare thing around here.

Personally, I have a bad feeling in this game. I made a minor wager on Maryland to beat Wisconsin and they came up short 70-69. Maybe that was wishful thinking as I would rather face a team that just won than one than lost 4 in row assuming the talent they are bringing to the game is similar to NU. We’ll see.

If we manage to get to 1-10 in the conference...

we'll still be saying that we are a couple of possessions away from being undefeated.
No, I think the argument from OSU was that we lost another one by less than 10 points. Like that was somehow an indication of pissing away another game. Truth was, NU wasn’t really ever in that game and EJ Liddel just pushed them to a quick lead and we had no answer to stop him or the 5 star Freshman.

Reactions: GatoLouco
No there is not a threshold. Lose your mind whenever you feel like you need to. It’s not a rare thing around here.

Personally, I have a bad feeling in this game. I made a minor wager on Maryland to beat Wisconsin and they came up short 70-69. Maybe that was wishful thinking as I would rather face a team that just won than one than lost 4 in row assuming the talent they are bringing to the game is similar to NU. We’ll see.
I did not see people losing their mind over the OSU loss. Over the PSU loss, yes.

Maybe it is because losing to OSU, unlike losing to PSU, was not unexpected. But it could also be because, NU style, everyone just quickly becomes apathetic. If the game thread is a sign, not many people are paying attention. And we are just 4 games in! I’d rather have people losing their minds than silence around here.

Saw a good chance of MD’s last two games. Was more impressed with their effort against IL than against WI.

I really hope we do not lose. If we do, incredibly, through 5 games, we will be at a worse record than last year, and the same record of the year before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT