ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously??

I’m checking out too. I won’t make a point to watch games. Definitely won’t be flying out to see one or two. Nope, my as firmly set here to vocalize in the only channel available that my interest for the season has died.

Reactions: mcgurgmv
This has got to be the game that gets Collins canned, doesn’t it? He’ll finish the season, but how on earth do you continue with him after that?
I think so, pepper in another 10 game losing streak and it has to be.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I’m checking out too. I won’t make a point to watch games. Definitely won’t be flying out to see one or two. Nope, my as firmly set here to vocalize in the only channel available that my interest for the season has died.
At this point, I come to this board to virtually hang out with all of you guys. Our two teams are irrelevant.

This has got to be the game that gets Collins canned, doesn’t it? He’ll finish the season, but how on earth do you continue with him after that?
Clean the house. Clean it all out. Start from scratch. Would be more interesting to watch young, enthusiastic coaching groups build new revenue programs from the existing ruins than watch this crap.

I continue to believe that we were the better team, and have more talented players overall than Penn State.

Sometimes (and it seems to happen a lot in this particular matchup) the opposing players just can't seem to miss down the stretch. I'm not going to go back and watch this but I can think of at least 5-6 shots that they made during their second-half run that any objective observer would consider 8/10 or higher in degree of difficulty. Yes, making more shots than the other team wins games. But NU was more fundamentally sound tonight. Better to be lucky than good... but this one obviously hurts.

Clean the house. Clean it all out. Start from scratch. Would be more interesting to watch young, enthusiastic coaching groups build new revenue programs from the existing ruins than watch this crap.
What’s the risk, we get worse?

I continue to believe that we were the better team, and have more talented players overall than Penn State.

Sometimes (and it seems to happen a lot in this particular matchup) the opposing players just can't seem to miss down the stretch. I'm not going to go back and watch this but I can think of at least 5-6 shots that they made that any objective observer would consider 8/10 or higher in degree of difficulty. Yes, making more shots than the other team wins games. But NU was more fundamentally sound tonight. Better to be lucky than good... but this one obviously hurts.
They out rebounded the crap out of us. Penn State was just better.

They out rebounded the crap out of us. Penn State was just better.
They weren’t better. They were clearly much worse. Everyone in the stadium could tell that. We took terrible shots and the whistles ****ed us

Reactions: drewjin
Also didn't help that Big 10 refs strike again... 20 Free Throws for PSU, 9 for NU. PSU in the bonus basically the entire second half, we didn't hit the bonus until the last minute. Touch fouls against NU on inbounds plays... Boo Buie with tons of contact going to the basket, no calls. Somehow PSU can crash the boards and create tons of contact, and yet the only off the ball fouls I saw all night were against NU. Probably 6 fouls to 0 in that category.

If we're talking about replacing Collins, honestly all I want is a coach that Big 10 refs respect. For some reason they give Collins absolutely zero respect. And it's been the case with Big 10 refs for years.

Agree to disagree.
This game was lost inside the arc. Penn State shot 57% on 2's and made 15 free throws while NU shot 40% and made 6 free throws. It offset NU making a couple of more threes than PSU. And the Cats turned the ball over a little bit more in the 2nd half.

Once Penn State stopped jacking up 3's, they figured out how to win this one.

This team is soft. Bowie can score but he is no leader. This team misses a real leader like Bryant MacIntosh. I agree Collins should go but NU will never eat any part of his contract, unless some alum picks it up. Stay away from the games maybe that’s what it will take

They weren’t better. They were clearly much worse. Everyone in the stadium could tell that. We took terrible shots and the whistles ****ed us
Not the refs here. Sorry. Normally agree. Not tonight.

Penn State isn’t bad. They hammered us on the boards. Guys have to make plays- we miss way too many layups, Nance missing that free throw hurt, dumb fouls, bad shot selection...

We were up 10 with about 8-9 min to play? Our execution just goes to crap down the stretch.

• Haha
This team is soft. Bowie can score but he is no leader. This team misses a real leader like Bryant MacIntosh. I agree Collins should go but NU will never eat any part of his contract, unless some alum picks it up. Stay away from the games maybe that’s what it will take
People are staying away. That had to be the worst home crowd I’ve seen for a B1G game in my 20 years of season tickets.

Also didn't help that Big 10 refs strike again... 20 Free Throws for PSU, 9 for NU. PSU in the bonus basically the entire second half, we didn't hit the bonus until the last minute. Touch fouls against NU on inbounds plays... Boo Buie with tons of contact going to the basket, no calls. Somehow PSU can crash the boards and create tons of contact, and yet the only off the ball fouls I saw all night were against NU. Probably 6 fouls to 0 in that category.

If we're talking about replacing Collins, honestly all I want is a coach that Big 10 refs respect. For some reason they give Collins absolutely zero respect. And it's been the case with Big 10 refs for years.
Nah. That's loser talk. Penn State got more free throws because they took the ball into the paint under control more often and was ahead at the end when the trailing team had to foul.

This game was lost inside the arc. Penn State shot 57% on 2's and made 15 free throws while NU shot 40% and made 6 free throws. It offset NU making a couple of more threes than PSU. And the Cats turned the ball over a little bit more in the 2nd half.

Once Penn State stopped jacking up 3's, they figured out how to win this one.
Seems to me jacking threes and off balance end of shot clock wild pitches is what got PSU back in the game.
that and the refs hardon for Ty.

I don’t really agree with any of these takes. NU looked good most of the game, then we just did our classic “can’t run an organized offensive possession to save our lives thing” and blew it.
That's generally my take as well, though Penn State scoring on bailout, off-balance long jumpers also hurt.

I also audibly winced here:

1:20
i
Foul on Myles Dread.63 - 63
i
Pete Nance missed Free Throw.63 - 63

People are staying away. That had to be the worst home crowd I’ve seen for a B1G game in my 20 years of season tickets.
Good. Can we all make a pack to stop attending games, stop buying gear, stop donating and only watch or listen in ways not picked up by ratings? Gragg has to feel threatened to fix this.

I don’t really agree with any of these takes. NU looked good most of the game, then we just did our classic “can’t run an organized offensive possession to save our lives thing” and blew it.
Not sure we run much offense down the stretch- way too often seems to be 3 guys standing around while 1-2 guys try to create. We tend to make defense easy for the opponent

• Love
Reactions: drewjin and GOUNUII
It is more complex than that. The problem is that at heart NU wants to be University of Chicago, but why do we need two of those? Plus we are not going to beat them out at what they do best, intellectual endeavor.

That's generally my take as well, though Penn State scoring on bailout, off-balance long jumpers also hurt.

I also audibly winced here:

i
Foul on Myles Dread.63 - 63
i
Pete Nance missed Free Throw.63 - 63
Agreed. If you want to win a game like this you can‘t have one of your leaders throw away a possession.

The good news is we’ll have so few fans left, Rothstein’s happy hour will cost less than $100 …

Reactions: lunker35
That fans are allowed to attend but students are barred from doing so boggles my mind. I’m never, ever donating money to NU.
I think it‘s a 2 week deal- kids just returned to campus and they are being asked to quarantine and do online classes to keep covid under control

My son had to petition a dean or something for the solar car team to be able to have 2-3 people meet in groups to work on the vehicle.

One of them is CC
Great. Get a new Coach and start over if it makes you feel better. No way in hell this loss was totally on the Coach. I know I’ll get all kind of shit for saying that. Have at it. However, when one your your guards is fouling a 3 point shooter with 2 seconds on the clock when he started 5 feet away ( he wasn’t getting to the hole in 2 seconds) its on the player. Your best player has to take over He had wide open looks. In fact, you can’t blame this on hero ball as NU had much better looks than PSU. NU missed some very makable looks and PSU made some difficult shots. I just don’t see enough scoring on this team to be a factor and I’ve said that from the start. Boo played very well and Beran had his best game if the season. You can judge everyone else’s game. This team will upset a few teams, but I could also seeing them lose to Nebraska or anyone else. They isn’t a lot of room for error.

I think Collins needs to try a new approach at his press conferences. He needs to get mad. These are not fragile underclassmen anymore. They’ve suffered close losses. Many, many times over. Time to hold Buie/Audige/Nance accountable.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
Great. Get a new Coach and start over if it makes you feel better. No way in hell this loss was totally on the Coach. I know I’ll get all kind of shit for saying that. Have at it. However, when one your your guards is fouling a 3 point shooter with 2 seconds on the clock when he started 5 feet away ( he wasn’t getting to the hole in 2 seconds) its on the player. Your best player has to take over He had wide open looks. In fact, you can’t blame this on hero ball as NU had much better looks than PSU. NU missed some very makable looks and PSU made some difficult shots. I just don’t see enough scoring on this team to be a factor and I’ve said that from the start. Boo played very well and Beran had his best game if the season. You can judge everyone else’s game. This team will upset a few teams, but I could also seeing them lose to Nebraska or anyone else. They isn’t a lot of room for error.
I’d agree with you if games like today, with offensive meltdowns exactly like today, haven’t been a hallmark of CC’s tenure for.. well nearly the entire tenure.

Eventually, it’s just, like, it’s his fault.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT