ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting comments on the Penn State Board...

about how dangerous the NU game will be, e.g. how effortlessly NU ran seam routes 2 years ago. My take is, whomever makes the last defensive stand wins.
That whole program deserves a timeout. Big Ten should replace them with Pitt.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Pitt would agree with that in a New York minute. Pitt's program is trending downward, so if the goal is to replace a tough game with a relative patsy it would make perfect sense.
Didn't realize that NU played a "patsy" in the Pinstripe Bowl last year. . Actually the conference would be replacing a corrupt embarrassing, lying program with a one that follows the rules regarding the mistreatment of children, unlike the Paterno worshipers.

PSU has the best offense in the conference, IMO. I am not sure anyone else is close. Unfortunately for us, there is no longer Hackenberg around with his baffling inconsistency. McSorley is a much better collegiate QB.

I am not convinced just yet about them. They looked legit last year but I wonder if it was a one year fluke. Hack was certainly part of their past problems but I also don't think Franklin is much of a player development and in game coach. I sense the new OC they brought in last year (Morehead?) was really the reason they made a quantum leap. If he can lead that offense to similar results next year, that coach will be getting a good head coaching job for the following season.

I am not convinced just yet about them. They looked legit last year but I wonder if it was a one year fluke. Hack was certainly part of their past problems but I also don't think Franklin is much of a player development and in game coach. I sense the new OC they brought in last year (Morehead?) was really the reason they made a quantum leap. If he can lead that offense to similar results next year, that coach will be getting a good head coaching job for the following season.
That sumbeach Franklin can sure recruit. He's been killing it since coming to PSU.

Pitt will lose some pretty good players to graduation (QB, RB, DT) but I am not sure I would say they are trending down. I think Narduzzi is a pretty good recruiter.
Pitt will lose some pretty good players to graduation (QB, RB, DT) but I am not sure I would say they are trending down. I think Narduzzi is a pretty good recruiter.
Pitt lost Paul Chryst to Wisconsin and, if Narduzzi does OK, he will likely move on, possibly to East Lansing. Pitt's fan base is small, as Pittsburghers care only about the Stillers er, Steelers, and Pitt lacks an on-campus stadium.

If we can stop/slow down Barkley like we did MGordon/Wisconsin a few years ago, I think we have a good chance to win against PSU this Fall. McSorley will need to be contained as well. Wow! This Fall's game is going to be a potential instant classic. I think they have more talent insofar as players go, but we have the edge with coaches. The game is in Evanston right? It will hopefully be like playing Michigan in 2000. This game will most likely be the most challenging for us, for sure. They have elite athletes all over the field. But we have a lot of talent as well! Can't wait to see the results- hopefully we win!

Joe Moorhead is the real deal. Former head coach at Fordham. I was surprised he didn't take another head after last season. His offensive system is prolific.

Don't disagree but that's not enough to be successful at that level.
Right. Most college HCs are either good at recruiting or developing and game coaching. Rarely do they excel at both. That is where staff comes into play. Hack played pretty well for O'Brien but then regressed, but it looks like Franklin has pretty good offensive coaching to go with the talent he has attracted. He got Vandy out of the dumpster. He has more to work with at PSU. I expect them to be quite good.

Pitt lost Paul Chryst to Wisconsin and, if Narduzzi does OK, he will likely move on, possibly to East Lansing. Pitt's fan base is small, as Pittsburghers care only about the Stillers er, Steelers, and Pitt lacks an on-campus stadium.

Sounds like Miami.

PSU has the best offense in the conference, IMO. I am not sure anyone else is close. Unfortunately for us, there is no longer Hackenberg around with his baffling inconsistency. McSorley is a much better collegiate QB.

To be fair to Hack, a lot of that had to do with the state of the PSU's O-line after Hack's frosh season (and losing his #1 target and safety net to the NFL).

Also, Franklin's staff inexplicably tried to change Hack's footwork when passing.

Joe Moorhead is the real deal. Former head coach at Fordham. I was surprised he didn't take another head after last season. His offensive system is prolific.

Yep - knew that was going to be a great hire.

Franklin is not a good X's and O's coach, but he is one heck of a recruiter.

So as long as Franklin surrounds himself with good co-ordinators, he'll succeed at PSU.

Didn't realize that NU played a "patsy" in the Pinstripe Bowl last year. . Actually the conference would be replacing a corrupt embarrassing, lying program with a one that follows the rules regarding the mistreatment of children, unlike the Paterno worshipers.
How do you know they are clean in this regard? Only know about PSU. Lots of skeletons in lots of closets that we do not know about.

To be fair to Hack, a lot of that had to do with the state of the PSU's O-line after Hack's frosh season (and losing his #1 target and safety net to the NFL).

Also, Franklin's staff inexplicably tried to change Hack's footwork when passing.

Yep - knew that was going to be a great hire.

Franklin is not a good X's and O's coach, but he is one heck of a recruiter.

So as long as Franklin surrounds himself with good co-ordinators, he'll succeed at PSU.

Hackenberg stinks, period. He was 4th string on the Jets last year behind some very poor QBs despite being their 2nd round pick. He will be out of the league in a few years. Shows how good of a coach O'Brien was for getting any type of production out of the guy.

But, as far as I know, they haven't covered up child rapists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT