ADVERTISEMENT

TG with lots cat tidbits in article

I like the part where he said Collins could be spending the summer designing an offense that's "short on little guys."

Reactions: NUCat320
I like the part where he said Collins could be spending the summer designing an offense that's "short on little guys."
I remember a year we did not have a PG. Only guy that could handle the ball was a SG that tried to handle the job. It was ugly. All a team had to do was press and we could not get the ball up the court. We stayed in an Indiana game because they were stubborn and refused to press.

I remember a year we did not have a PG. Only guy that could handle the ball was a SG that tried to handle the job. It was ugly. All a team had to do was press and we could not get the ball up the court. We stayed in an Indiana game because they were stubborn and refused to press.

When?

That's the concern.

A more experienced team should be able to deal with it. But right now, there isn't a decent handle on the entire team. My hope is the Gaines develops....or Tino can provide spot relief.

I never understand why you have to have a point guard to beat the press. You should beat a zone press by passing between multiple players. You can beat a man to man press by providing a pick in the backcourt or asking a decent big guy to bring the ball up whose man can't stay in there grill for 94 feet like a little point guard can. I think the trouble that NU has had with the press in the past has less to do with a good point guard and more to do with a lack of good basketball players in general.

I never understand why you have to have a point guard to beat the press. You should beat a zone press by passing between multiple players. You can beat a man to man press by providing a pick in the backcourt or asking a decent big guy to bring the ball up whose man can't stay in there grill for 94 feet like a little point guard can. I think the trouble that NU has had with the press in the past has less to do with a good point guard and more to do with a lack of good basketball players in general.
Here's how you beat the press:

They key word here is "zone" -- you beat a "zone press" with passing. When you're playing man-to-man pressure, you have to have somebody who can beat his man off the dribble. Sometimes those skills have been, shall we say, "lacking" at NU.

But I'm also a firm believer that to be able to beat pressure, you have to practice against pressure more than just as an afterthought. There was a period of time a few years ago when NU looked like it had never seen a press before game time.

Reactions: willycat
Tim Doyle senior year by chance?
I don't think so. We have had a couple times with limited PG alternatives such as having Collier Drayton as the starting PG. He did ok considering I think he was blind in one eye but we were pretty limited
More both. But a reasonable PG can dribble his way out of some situations that he cannot pass out of.

Reactions: ricko654321
Tim Doyle senior year by chance?
Don't think so. Had to be between 1991and 2000. Could have been Birdsong's last year (96/7 ) Julian Bonner maybe was the guard. Only guy that could handle the ball. We played IN tight at WR in large part because Knight was stubborn and would not press. If they did, our ball handling would just get worn down and then we would fall apart

As a high school coach for 20+ years I completely agree. You break a press by passing-not dribbling. If you’re good at it you want the opposition to press. It becomes a lay-up fest for you. And a demoralizing and exhausting excercise for them.

Don't think so. Had to be between 1991and 2000. Could have been Birdsong's last year (96/7 ) Julian Bonner maybe was the guard. Only guy that could handle the ball. We played IN tight at WR in large part because Knight was stubborn and would not press. If they did, our ball handling would just get worn down and then we would fall apart

Yep. Julian Bonner’s junior year. We actually had two PGs on that roster. Walk-on Matt Kammrath and Jonah Batumbze. Nether ever played, and Bonner was NOT a PG...but that’s who KO went with. The Iowa games that season were ugly!

Yep. Julian Bonner’s junior year. We actually had two PGs on that roster. Walk-on Matt Kammrath and Jonah Batumbze. Nether ever played, and Bonner was NOT a PG...but that’s who KO went with. The Iowa games that season were ugly!
Please, don't bring up memories of the KO years. Just too painful!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT