ADVERTISEMENT

This was a bad game but

heet75

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2001
What bothers me is all this negative crap on this board. We have good coaches and I think they have gotten the most out of these players in most games. The coaches don't play they just teach and they are good at it...more knowledge and experience than anyone on this board. Some just seem to want and cast stones because of a setback...instead of saying we will get them tomorrow....I am sure a lot of the players will get bad grades when the film is broken down...so what...it happens. There is no magic . Learn and move on. You greater than God posters who have no clue what you are talking about....your only knowledge is whatever you hear the announcers say ...of course you can say whatever you want because it is all anonymous...and you seem judgemental over things you really don't understand...no clue....I am sure you are so accepting of criticism pointed in your direction....you have no guts....you are a quitter...

What bothers me is all this negative crap on this board. We have good coaches and I think they have gotten the most out of these players in most games. The coaches don't play they just teach and they are good at it...more knowledge and experience than anyone on this board. Some just seem to want and cast stones because of a setback...instead of saying we will get them tomorrow....I am sure a lot of the players will get bad grades when the film is broken down...so what...it happens. There is no magic . Learn and move on. You greater than God posters who have no clue what you are talking about....your only knowledge is whatever you hear the announcers say ...of course you can say whatever you want because it is all anonymous...and you seem judgemental over things you really don't understand...no clue....I am sure you are so accepting of criticism pointed in your direction....you have no guts....you are a quitter...
Um. No. If we were quitters, we would leave and never come back.

If the multimillionaire coach and highly paid assistants cannot take criticism, they are in the wrong business. Just because Fitz is a tenured professor, doesn't mean he is above criticism.

I rarely criticize a player. It's on the coaches.

Rather harsh words, Heet, but as they say in Congress, I wish to associate myself with your remarks. Every member of the Cats' coaching staff works harder to achieve the team's success and cares more about its shortcomings than any of us on this board. Only time will tell how the team responds to today's debacle, but I trust they will do so with greater toughness and focus than shown by the hysteria here.

Disclosure: in my own brief and undistinguished time in the military there was never a shot fired in anger toward or by me. But based on many of the loose comments posted here, I'd hate to be in a foxhole under fire with those who adopt an all-is-lost mentality after even the worst butt-kicking. In times of misfortune or even crisis -- and where I live many folks have experienced much worse than the Cats did today -- the only option is to respond with courage and determination. Our wounds will heal but not because of intemperate words here.

Um. No. If we were quitters, we would leave and never come back.

If the multimillionaire coach and highly paid assistants cannot take criticism, they are in the wrong business. Just because Fitz is a tenured professor, doesn't mean he is above criticism.

I rarely criticize a player. It's on the coaches.
coaches don't execute the plays...

Go get 'em, heet!!! Both barrels!!!!!

Your points are unfortunately not specific to this message board. You've just described every team's message board. Actually, you've just described every internet comment section, social media site, message board, etc.
Perhaps...I just thought we had more educated and prudent fans. I post rarely so I have no idea what has been said. I just am not in line with fans jumping all over stuff they have no understanding....yet know everything...

Reactions: DarthCat
What bothers me is all this negative crap on this board. We have good coaches and I think they have gotten the most out of these players in most games. The coaches don't play they just teach and they are good at it...more knowledge and experience than anyone on this board.

So the players suck?

I am sick to my back teeth of fans absolving everyone of all responsibility. Oh, we got massacred by Duke, that's just the way things are! We have no right to complain, we're not on the team! We'll get 'em next week! Flush it! Yay!

So the players suck?

I am sick to my back teeth of fans absolving everyone of all responsibility. Oh, we got massacred by Duke, that's just the way things are! We have no right to complain, we're not on the team! We'll get 'em next week! Flush it! Yay!
We did get whipped...and you can have plenty of complaints...it is over with...I am glad to converse with someone who has never fallen down ....and I am sure the team would feel so much better if you absolved them...they really did not want to win anyway

Perhaps...I just thought we had more educated and prudent fans. I post rarely so I have no idea what has been said. I just am not in line with fans jumping all over stuff they have no understanding....yet know everything...

Dude, get off your high horse.

The O-line has sucked for the last 5+ years. That's at least 20 linemen who have come and gone without making much of an impact. If you believe the lack in performance is due a lack of talent, then that's on the coaches, as they evaluate and recruit those same players. If you believe the poor performance is due to bad technique, then that's also on the coaches, as they're supposed to teach proper techniques. If it's due to attitude and lack of motivation, the blame lies partially with the coaching staff, as they're responsible for establishing motivation and a good attitude in the locker room.

The performance of the O-line, in particular, has been very spotty for the past 5+ years. I'm much more inclined to blame the position coach making 250k+ a year who has put forward a shit product for the last 5+ years than college kids who aren't getting paid.

Bullshit on the good coaches, if you're including the OL coach. When is the last time we fielded an average even OL? This isn't a one setback or even a one year thing. It's been a problem from the onset and Fitz needs to fix it or its his ass too. Saying you're going to go get them tomorrow is fine and dandy, and we are all for learning and moving on. But, you're not going to go get them tomorrow if you can't fix the problem, and the problem we all have with this whole EFFED UP situation is that our head coach apparently isn't learning and moving on. He's stuck with the status quo. No one is quitting on the team. Quitting would be dropping from the boards forever because you've decided that there is no hope and that there is no reason to root for NU anymore. None of us would be upset and asking for changes if that were the case. We want the team to be better, and we are supporting the team by asking for changes to be made that will give the team and the players what they deserve and allow us to go get them tomorrow.

And yes or no on accepting of criticism pointed in our direction - when we eff up and don't perform, all of us get criticism and suffer the consequences including losing our jobs. It's reality everywhere else except NU football apparently.

Reactions: D_C_B and Figrating
Rather harsh words, Heet, but as they say in Congress, I wish to associate myself with your remarks. Every member of the Cats' coaching staff works harder to achieve the team's success and cares more about its shortcomings than any of us on this board. Only time will tell how the team responds to today's debacle, but I trust they will do so with greater toughness and focus than shown by the hysteria here.

Disclosure: in my own brief and undistinguished time in the military there was never a shot fired in anger toward or by me. But based on many of the loose comments posted here, I'd hate to be in a foxhole under fire with those who adopt an all-is-lost mentality after even the worst butt-kicking. In times of misfortune or even crisis -- and where I live many folks have experienced much worse than the Cats did today -- the only option is to respond with courage and determination. Our wounds will heal but not because of intemperate words here.

1. working hard isn't good enough. I don't think anyone is satisfied or should be satisfied with a "just do your best" effort. This is NCAA football and paid coaches we are talking about. Not Pop Warner and volunteers.

2. Yes, the players (and coaches) need to respond with courage and determination and they are the ones in the foxholes, not us fans. Part of having some courage is admitting when you're wrong and doing something that may be painful. That includes letting go people who cannot get the job done. Not after one bad game, but after years and years with inadequate performance no sign of improvement.

3. If we're talking about foxholes, would you want to be in a foxhole with a squad leader that doesn't know what he's doing and leads you into ambush after ambush? Would you want to be in a foxhole who can't be counted on to get the job done? The squad leader needs to be replaced, for the good of those doing the fighting. And that's the job of the CO and it's on the CO when that doesn't happen.

Reactions: D_C_B

The O-line has sucked for the last 5+ years. That's at least 20 linemen who have come and gone without making much of an impact. If you believe the lack in performance is due a lack of talent, then that's on the coaches, as they evaluate and recruit those same players. If you believe the poor performance is due to bad technique, then that's also on the coaches, as they're supposed to teach proper techniques. If it's due to attitude and lack of motivation, the blame lies partially with the coaching staff, as they're responsible for establishing motivation and a good attitude in the locker room.

The performance of the O-line, in particular, has been very spotty for the past 5+ years. I'm much more inclined to blame the position coach making 250k+ a year who has put forward a shit product for the last 5+ years than college kids who aren't getting paid.
I stand corrected you're an oak....seem to know it all....and I did not say it was bad technique...I said it was bad execution...you think this is a football factory or something? if you are bothered by how much money the coaches make...check other schools...and as far as recruiting get all your friends to go to the games...a packed house goes a lot farther then coach sweet talk....

I stand corrected you're an oak....seem to know it all....and I did not say it was bad technique...I said it was bad execution...you think this is a football factory or something? if you are bothered by how much money the coaches make...check other schools...and as far as recruiting get all your friends to go to the games...a packed house goes a lot farther then coach sweet talk....
Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

Ok, so it's bad execution. What does that mean? And who is at fault? Please tell me in layman's terms, since it's apparently not getting through to me. I'm an oak, after all.

And we shouldn't expect competent line play because we're not a football factory?

And I shouldn't criticize our assistant coaches who make $250k a year because other coaches around the country make more? Hey, I'll tell those Experian execs that they're off the hook. Other executives make wayyyyy more than they do.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and Fitz51
Bullshit on the good coaches, if you're including the OL coach. When is the last time we fielded an average even OL? This isn't a one setback or even a one year thing. It's been a problem from the onset and Fitz needs to fix it or its his ass too. Saying you're going to go get them tomorrow is fine and dandy, and we are all for learning and moving on. But, you're not going to go get them tomorrow if you can't fix the problem, and the problem we all have with this whole EFFED UP situation is that our head coach apparently isn't learning and moving on. He's stuck with the status quo. No one is quitting on the team. Quitting would be dropping from the boards forever because you've decided that there is no hope and that there is no reason to root for NU anymore. None of us would be upset and asking for changes if that were the case. We want the team to be better, and we are supporting the team by asking for changes to be made that will give the team and the players what they deserve and allow us to go get them tomorrow.

And yes or no on accepting of criticism pointed in our direction - when we eff up and don't perform, all of us get criticism and suffer the consequences including losing our jobs. It's reality everywhere else except NU football apparently.
JJTBC does not get 1000+ yards a year without a ha
Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

Ok, so it's bad execution. What does that mean? And who is at fault? Please tell me in layman's terms, since it's apparently not getting through to me. I'm an oak, after all.

And we shouldn't expect competent line play because we're not a football factory?

And I shouldn't criticize our assistant coaches who make $250k a year because other coaches around the country make more? Hey, I'll tell those Experian execs that they're off the hook. Other executives make wayyyyy more than they do.
Execution is totally on the players, JJTBC has gained 1000+ yards for the last 3 years. Would he have done that if the o-line had consistently played like they did today? No way...Plenty of fault to go around in this game...Ever strike out in a key situation?....ever miss a free throw? if so they should have treated you like a professional and cut you from the team...

JJTBC does not get 1000+ yards a year without a ha

Execution is totally on the players, JJTBC has gained 1000+ yards for the last 3 years. Would he have done that if the o-line had consistently played like they did today? No way...Plenty of fault to go around in this game...Ever strike out in a key situation?....ever miss a free throw? if so they should have treated you like a professional and cut you from the team...
Ok, so the poor O-line performance is due to poor execution which, in turn, is totally on the players, correct? I disagree, but fair enough.

As for the strike out/free throw analogy:

I'm not talking about one game here. Yea, they got blown out today. Maybe that was an aberration. But poor O-line play and poor early season and early game performances have been a pattern for several years. The right analogy, IMO, isn't striking out in a key situation or missing a single free throw, it's more like batting .100 with RISP or shooting 50% from the line. Doing that over the course of a single game isn't ideal, but doing it over the course of a season (or in our case several seasons) will be quite damaging. It's the trend of poor play that has me worried, not just the poor performance against Dook.

Reactions: Fitz51 and Noah121

I can tell you how the online coaches.... This is what he tells you after moving you from guard to tackle.... the hardest transition on the line! Go out there and win the battle!!! Get mad don't think just win the battle!

Reactions: FitzFan and NUCats
I can tell you how the online coaches.... This is what he tells you after moving you from guard to tackle.... the hardest transition on the line! Go out there and win the battle!!! Get mad don't think just win the battle!

This comment ought to settle this discussion. It comes from someone who knows. Someone whose relative has experienced first hand the capabilities of our OL coach. We all know what part of the problem is. Anybody with eyes who has followed this team for the last 7-8 years knows we have one unit that consistently underperforms expectations and the other units. Until that problem is addressed, we are going to struggle to take the next step as a team. Enough said.

Last edited:

We made a conscious choice to go into this season without set starters on the OL and to basically just "wing it" during game one in terms of who played where. Honestly, WTFIT? How can a position coach with zero resume or accomplishment even propose such a thing and not be laughed out of the business?

Last week we were all told by the intelligent posters here that it was because of the 3-3-5 stack and everything would be better this week.

So what's the new excuse du jour? Are we now back to blaming the kids?

That doesn't fly. When it's your job to teach the kids, and year after year, they don't learn, that means that you suck as a teacher, not that generation after generation of kids are stupid.

Last edited:
This comment ought to settle this discussion. It comes from someone who knows. Someone whose relative has experienced first handle the capabilities of our OL coach. We all know what part of the problem is. Anybody with eyes who has followed this team for the last 7-8 years knows we have one unit that consistently underperforms expectations and the other units. Until that problem is addressed, we are going to struggle to take the next step as a team. Enough said.

It's nearly impossible to defend the results here. Ex-players that aren't supportive of the coach that tutored them for 4-5 years tells you all you need to know.

In other words, the kids are basically on their own and left to their own devices. Sheesh, kids in Chicago Public Schools get better help than this....

Last edited:
Reactions: EvanstonCat
We made a conscious choice to go into this season without set starters on the OL and to basically just "wing it" during game one in terms of who played where. Honestly, WTFIT? How can a position coach with zero resume or accomplishment even propose such a thing and not be laughed out of the business?.
Yes. Many of us were very concerned when the shuffle was announced two weeks before the season. Those of us who were Pollyannas like me declared this a gamble. We defined the success of this gamble to be determined by a 3-0 record after OOC even with ugly wins.

If we hold to that definition, the gamble has failed.

Huh? There are literally former players and parents of former players on here criticizing the o-line play and coaching. It's pretty damning.

And don't forget the current players telling the OL unit to carry their weight for a change.

I did get all my friends to go getting up to 18 season tickets under my name. I am now down to 12 within 5 years. All non-alums. It is increasingly difficult to get folks to go. I sell the tailgate rather than the game. They do not buy the propaganda spewed out by our head coach and have seen NU lay an egg all too often. My most ardent Cat Fan who sits with me has concluded that the CATs will not win the B10 West with PF and his staff.

Reactions: 2388bb
I feel bad for the kids.

Me too. This is so darn disappointing because there are so many other truly bright spots - but it's the oldest cliche in football for the simple reason that it's true: without a a good offensive line, all the best backfield and WR receiver talent in the world means nothing.

spacer.gif

Reactions: Fitz51
I did get all my friends to go getting up to 18 season tickets under my name. I am now down to 12 within 5 years. All non-alums. It is increasingly difficult to get folks to go. I sell the tailgate rather than the game. They do not buy the propaganda spewed out by our head coach and have seen NU lay an egg all too often. My most ardent Cat Fan who sits with me has concluded that the CATs will not win the B10 West with PF and his staff.

If you look at our recruit ratings it is at best middle tier in the B1G. If you believe them, then you are getting exactly what you would expect a mid tier performance. The key is for the staff is to either find a boatload of diamonds in the rough or have an exceptional development process. This is why coaching is so critical at this school and at this stage.

MSU was a blueprint. They gradually got better by development. That in turn, resulting in better players coming in. Whisky and Iowa have reputations of being good in the trenches, that attracts big uglies. If I am a skill player, I would like to play behind that. The rest of there recruits aren't better than what we bring in for most years. It's a catch 22 now. Fitz is the CEO, a great salesman, but he needs to go out and upgrade the surrounding staff and it is likely in more than the one obvious position group.

Reactions: beetlemania74
coaches don't execute the plays...

Coaches recruit the talent and develop them and actually coach them so that they CAN execute the plays. Competent ones do anyways. Our OL coach is not one of them.

Who do you blame for the ineptitude if not the coach?

Coaches recruit the talent and develop them and actually coach them so that they CAN execute the plays. Competent ones do anyways. Our OL coach is not one of them.

Who do you blame for the ineptitude if not the coach?

Reminds me of baseball fans blaming the hitting coach for the team not hitting. What do you want Cushing to do? The Pats oline was terrible on TNF, and they have a legendary oline coach.

Did you ever think the players just aren't that good? We lost our two best pass rushers, NFL middle linebacker, all conference WR, and have true freshman and walk on guys playing significant time at CB.

I know we all got duped into thinking this would be a good team, but it's time to change your thought process and treat this as a rebuilding year.

Reactions: Fitz51
Reminds me of baseball fans blaming the hitting coach for the team not hitting. What do you want Cushing to do? The Pats oline was terrible on TNF, and they have a legendary oline coach.

Did you ever think the players just aren't that good? We lost our two best pass rushers, NFL middle linebacker, all conference WR, and have true freshman and walk on guys playing significant time at CB.

I know we all got duped into thinking this would be a good team, but it's time to change your thought process and treat this as a rebuilding year.

Every team loses players. How many starters did Michigan lose?

Who recruits these players that just aren't that good?

No one's overreacting to a single game. We're reacting to YEARS of ineptitude on that OL. When you have a bunch of years of players who look terrible and don't seem to improve and get their asses kicked on a regular basis and you have no years where they are any good, don't you think it might just be the coaching? It's called pattern recognition.

And if you notice, my deep criticism is reserved for the OL and the head coach who allows for this to continue without making a change. We returned 4 STARTERS. WTF?!??!?!??!?!

If this is a rebuilding year, what happens when we lose Godwin, Justin Jackson next year? Every year's an effing rebuilding year at NU. What a joke.

Reactions: catfans5
Every team loses players. How many starters did Michigan lose?

Who recruits these players that just aren't that good?

No one's overreacting to a single game. We're reacting to YEARS of ineptitude on that OL. When you have a bunch of years of players who look terrible and don't seem to improve and get their asses kicked on a regular basis and you have no years where they are any good, don't you think it might just be the coaching? It's called pattern recognition.

And if you notice, my deep criticism is reserved for the OL and the head coach who allows for this to continue without making a change. We returned 4 STARTERS. WTF?!??!?!??!?!

If this is a rebuilding year, what happens when we lose Godwin, Justin Jackson next year? Every year's an effing rebuilding year at NU. What a joke.

We just lost 41-17 to Duke with Godwin and JJTBC, and we could lose 41-17 to Duke next year without them.

I think your post is unfair. I usually appreciate your insight as a former player but the fans have the full right to react how they are after witnessing what we did yesterday. And it doesn't matter that Fitz is more knowledgeable than me, you and fans, his wit isn't matched up against us but it's matched up against the opposing coaches. I think you know he did a shitty job yesterday but I'll just agree with Fitz over you and use his words that he got outcoached.

You, as a former player, know this though. I'm not that knowledgeable but I did observe that Duke struggled with one offensive setup we used, i.e., the empty backfield.
I also have observed from last year to now that Throson excels in the empty backfield. When he knows he has to get rid of the ball he actually kicks ass.

Yesterday, we employ the empty backfield at the end of the first half. Right down the field. TD. You may say that Duke was in a 2 minute defense though. But, as I pointed out to the fans in the stands at the game, my hope was that McCall would go right back to the empty backfield until Duke can stop it. To my amazement, he did and we opened up the second half with the empty backfield. And another productive play,I think 8 or 9 yard gain. But then that was it until late 3rd quarter after a poor Moten KOR to the 24. And again, it worked, a 9 yard quick pass for 9 yards (we took the offsides penalty instead). Then it was shelved.

Now, as a fan, I'd like for your comment. Why do we not employ the empty backfield more often if it is productive? I don't have that answer but here are my thoughts.
1. We are married to Jackson in the backfield and running a power running game.
2. See #1

Now, I'm not necessarily against that since we can use last year's model and see that if we give our OL some Saturday experience that it will end up naturally doing better when we hit Big ten season. I get that. And you are absolutely right about most of what you wrote in your post. The sky isn't falling and I think our OL will get better but it won't get better if we abandon the thing that Fitz has been trying to build, i.e., a power running game.

Maybe the one thing that I will disagree with you on is that all of our coaches aren't really good as you said. Most are and I think Fitz has truly put together a good staff, but I think his loyalty isn't necessarily a virtue regarding the totality of his coaching. Oftentimes, in fact almost all of the time, any business or anything whatsoever doesn't progress or get better unless you prune it. I suggest that if Fitz truly wants a National Championship like he says, that he better prune the branch to make it stronger. Not all of our coaches are championship level. Recruits know this as you know so you can't really blame fans for pointing to the scoreboard about some glaring problems that have simply not been addressed in the name of loyalty. or it may be in the name of stubbornness. Just sayin.

How would you characterize Fitz in Q4? Only quitter I've seen this weekend. Lots of Pollyanna though. Hey, maybe you could donate some money to the school for participation trophies and coaching raises.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT