ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers - are we good?

GatoLouco

Nov 14, 2019
Indianapolis
I've stated my opinion in other threads that if it's "just" Kopp and Gaines, we are OK. Not that I think losing Kopp is not a big deal. It hurts.

We are now at 1420 players in the portal. Averages to over 30% of available scholarships. 4 players per team. B1G numbers are slightly lower.

The good news is that the number of players joining the portal is slowing down dramatically.

1) Are we confident the bleeding stopped with Gaines and Kopp?
2) Can we expect one more transfer in? I don't buy the hold it for PBJ

I'm no Collins fan, but if this is it, I give him credit for managing to not lose the confidence of our players. Fingers crossed.

Based on board speculation, possible insider information that would make deep throat look exposed in comparison, I am tempted to think players saw Kopp as a problem.

Locker room was not good. But they blamed Kopp and not the coach. Hence, Kopp leaving was good as it made others less likely to want to leave themselves.

That is, until I try to reconcile that idea with the fact CC continued to play Kopp the most minutes until the very end of the season.

And now I am going to step away from my desk to let my head explode.

Based on board speculation, possible insider information that would make deep throat look exposed in comparison, I am tempted to think players saw Kopp as a problem.

Locker room was not good. But they blamed Kopp and not the coach. Hence, Kopp leaving was good as it made others less likely to want to leave themselves.

That is, until I try to reconcile that idea with the fact CC continued to play Kopp the most minutes until the very end of the season.

And now I am going to step away from my desk to let my head explode.
Thanks thats the part that bugs me. If he was in fact a problem in the room why the hell did he see so many minutes? Makes no sense. He had some poor games or plays in very critical times.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Thanks thats the part that bugs me. If he was in fact a problem in the room why the hell did he see so many minutes? Makes no sense. He had some poor games or plays in very critical times.
More seriously, it would not be all that surprising he was not a problem at all. But once he decided to leave, magically became one. Human nature and whatnot.

More seriously, it would not be all that surprising he was not a problem at all. But once he decided to leave, magically became one. Human nature and whatnot.
A player can be necessary at the same time as they are causing internal friction with their actions. Regardless, I think he should have been benched.

A player can be necessary at the same time as they are causing internal friction with their actions. Regardless, I think he should have been benched.
I don't disagree. But think that's more of a Kyrie Irving thing than a Miller Kopp thing. He was not what gave us a chance to beat Nebraska.

I'd try to articulate something. But I have no head. It exploded
What you're spelling out here is exactly why fans of the program can be annoyed at the situation of a core player leaving for a conference rival and a coach who hasn't been able to put the right mix together while grasping for some way of explaining how it gets better sooner. I don't think any of those are mutually exclusive. We just already had the conversation about Collins' foibles when Kopp's transfer was announced the first time.

Maybe that was part of the problem

How do we know Kopp was the "cancer" and not the player spreading rumors about him?

Huh? There’s a player spreading rumors about someone?
Who would know about locker room drama between players? I'd hate to find out that a paid employee of the university is the one spreading rumors about a departing player. That seems very unprofessional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT