ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia makes it legal for universities to pay college athletes

I feel like a conflicted man.

On the one hand I think this all makes sense and it's fair. It's just normal, if you are of age, you should be able to sell your talent.

On the other hand, I feel like yelling at clouds as it really destroys so much of what I like about college ball. Mainly I just love following the development of players in a roster. And that is more and more gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
"The new law, which is scheduled to take effect July 1, is the first in any state to make it illegal for the NCAA to punish a school for compensating athletes for their NIL rights. Current NCAA rules prohibit schools from signing NIL deals with their own players. The law could either give Virginia schools a significant recruiting advantage or provide a catalyst for similar changes elsewhere."

Oh myyyy

Sounds to me like all the universities in Virginia just seceded from the NCAA.
Wouldn't be the first time.

Will be interesting how the ACC responds.

I could have it wrong, but I thought the conferences all agreed to be bound by the rules of the NCAA governing body? If so, you don't get to pick and choose.

Cesspool, anyone?

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I feel like a conflicted man.

On the one hand I think this all makes sense and it's fair. It's just normal, if you are of age, you should be able to sell your talent.
There are already professional leagues. If you want to be a professional without going to college, then join a professional league.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
That law certainly was a surprise. Hadn't seen anything in the DC press saying that the VA legislature was considering. For what it's worth, Virginia has a Republican Governor while both the House and Senate are majority Democrat.

Had this been in place from the start, we wouldn't have the lunacy that exists now.

Sounds to me like all the universities in Virginia just seceded from the NCAA.
Wouldn't be the first time.

Will be interesting how the ACC responds.
Or how the NCAA responds. As far as I know, the NCAA controls bowl games and post-season tournaments, not to mention the tournament TV deals. What happens if the NCAA says, "If we don't have enforcement power in your state, then you are not eligible for our tournaments." Does the NCAA have the juice for this fight?

Or how the NCAA responds. As far as I know, the NCAA controls bowl games and post-season tournaments, not to mention the tournament TV deals. What happens if the NCAA says, "If we don't have enforcement power in your state, then you are not eligible for our tournaments." Does the NCAA have the juice for this fight?

We're on the same page.

NCAA should just say - "Okay all Virginia schools are out of the NCAA. Any games they play against NCAA teams will be classified as exhibitions. And bring your own refs. Oh and bring your local tv crew"

Of course, I have no idea what the actual rules / contracts are.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
There are already professional leagues. If you want to be a professional without going to college, then join a professional league.

They pretty much already spend the hours as a professional; plus their coaches are already getting paid like they're coaching professionals (actually better than most professional leagues outside maybe the NFL).

Many grad students get paid to teach while they continue their own education.

They pretty much already spend the hours as a professional; plus their coaches are already getting paid like they're coaching professionals (actually better than most professional leagues outside maybe the NFL).

Many grad students get paid to teach while they continue their own education.
"A student-athlete's participation in countable athletically related activities shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week."

Reactions: FeralFelidae
"A student-athlete's participation in countable athletically related activities shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week."
I can assure you ( at least back in the Stone Age) that an athlete often puts in more than 20 hours a week to compete. They aren’t necessarily “countable” activities as defined by the bylaws.

^ This...

Added time in the weight room, conditioning and watching film.

They also often don't get to enjoy winter and spring breaks, much less a full summer to work a summer job to make some $.

And particularly for the football players, considering how much wear and tear they put on their bodies (you'd be aghast how many "procedures" many players end up having during their collegiate careers).

So are they officially employees if they're paid directly? What would be impact on other extracurriculars including "non-revenue" sports and other activities? Do they get labor representation?

So are they officially employees if they're paid directly? What would be impact on other extracurriculars including "non-revenue" sports and other activities? Do they get labor representation?
Schools already have "work/study" jobs available to students, usually as part of financial aid.
There's no labor representation.
As I mentioned earlier in another thread, thats how I think the system can/could work for paid athletes.
But its too late for that. Too many fools involved.

Last edited:
^ This...

They also often don't get to enjoy winter and spring breaks, much less a full summer to work a summer job to make some $.

And particularly for the football players, considering how much wear and tear they put on their bodies (you'd be aghast how many "procedures" many players end up having during their collegiate careers).
Also extra drill time, extra shooting practice time, extra position group time (ie wide receivers and QBs working together in their free time… the list goes on and on.

No way! NCAA is a total paper tiger.

^ This...

And yet DIII players gladly play for free for the love of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT