ADVERTISEMENT

Vol Fans

I will admit I trolled that troll Turk after the game because he was discrediting our team tremendously weeks before. Do you guys claim him?

Other than that, I didn't see a whole lot of asshats on your board. You all seem much more civil then Volquest.

Other than that, I didn't see a whole lot of asshats on your board. You all seem much more civil then Volquest.[/QUOTE]

Then you do not realize how many posts were deleted. I will give you a hint, a lot. In recent years we played Auburn and Miss St in bowls, and the number of troll posters here was minute compared to what we experienced the past two or three weeks.

I will admit I trolled that troll Turk after the game because he was discrediting our team tremendously weeks before. Do you guys claim him?

He posts a lot here, and his opinions certainly provoke a LOT of conversation. His opinions are controversial, but he is not a troll. Just opinionated--for better or for worse.

My personal opinion is that he made some very ill advised posts about UT's performance before the game. It was not so much that they could have been interpreted as dissing UT, but more to the point that I did not think they were very informed about UT's capabilities. It was not hard to see that UT had some very good players at skill positions, and that this would be a very tough matchup for NU. Pretty much every pundit on the planet besides Turk noted that this would be a tough matchup for the Cats, and the pundits were overwhelmingly correct.

My belief about outliers is that they garner all the attention, but do not reflect the majority of belief (duh--that's the definition of an outlier, more or less). In the virtual media world, it "pays" to be an outlier because controversial opinions grab the eyeballs, but the cost is effectively zero. The worst that happens to you is that people 1) label you a troll; and/or 2) ignore you. It's not like you lose your job over throwing words around the Internet.

Then you do not realize how many posts were deleted. I will give you a hint, a lot. In recent years we played Auburn and Miss St in bowls, and the number of troll posters here was minute compared to what we experienced the past two or three weeks.

haha, that makes sense.

You make it sound like you were burning the midnight oil deleting posts.

He posts a lot here, and his opinions certainly provoke a LOT of conversation. His opinions are controversial, but he is not a troll. Just opinionated--for better or for worse.

My personal opinion is that he made some very ill advised posts about UT's performance before the game. It was not so much that they could have been interpreted as dissing UT, but more to the point that I did not think they were very informed about UT's capabilities. It was not hard to see that UT had some very good players at skill positions, and that this would be a very tough matchup for NU. Pretty much every pundit on the planet besides Turk noted that this would be a tough matchup for the Cats, and the pundits were overwhelmingly correct.

My belief about outliers is that they garner all the attention, but do not reflect the majority of belief (duh--that's the definition of an outlier, more or less). In the virtual media world, it "pays" to be an outlier because controversial opinions grab the eyeballs, but the cost is effectively zero. The worst that happens to you is that people 1) label you a troll; and/or 2) ignore you. It's not like you lose your job over throwing words around the Internet.

That is fair enough.

Thank you. I will look into it.

Edit #1- (8:30 PM - 1/3/16 Central Time) I called and spoke with the desk clerk who was on duty who had no recollection of anything like that happening. He recommended that I call back during the day and speak with a manager who would be more aware of such things.
Sorry about replying to my own post but it keeps everything together.

Edit #2- (11:00 AM - 1/4/16 Central Time). I spoke with the morning desk clerk at the hotel. The manager was in a meeting. She said that she had no recollection of anyone doing the things that have been stated at the hotel last week. I have the manager's name and will call back after lunch and speak with him.

Hurd went to Beech? That explains those two State Championships. I hate driving past that sign at the Sumner County line. As you may have guessed, my son went to Hendersonville.

Correct, he went to Beech after he transferred from my son's school. I think he and my son did not actually play on the same team at the same time; my son sat out football his junior year.

It's not a made up story. This happened last week at the hotel. Does it sound far fetched? Absolutely it does but that's why I felt the need to post. I've been on Volquest for years and have never posted on anyone else's boards. This was so extreme I had to share it. I'm sorry you think we made up the story but we didn't.

Why do you think these people were somehow associated with Northwestern? Because they vandalized your car? There are a lot more Florida fans in Florida than there are Northwestern fans. Because they said they were? Anyone can say stuff like that.

We're an itty-bitty school from up North. We have a hard enough time getting people to care enough about football to go to games. Vandalism is well beyond our usual level of interest.

Sorry about replying to my own post but it keeps everything together.

Edit #2- (11:00 AM - 1/4/16 Central Time). I spoke with the morning desk clerk at the hotel. The manager was in a meeting. She said that she had no recollection of anyone doing the things that have been stated at the hotel last week. I have the manager's name and will call back after lunch and speak with him.

On the one hand, they might not feel they can say anything to random person who calls. On the other hand, I don't know how ANYBODY who works at the hotel wouldn't already know about someone pooping into the coffee filter. I give people the benefit of the doubt far more than I should, but I'm believing this story less and less.

The story is nonsense, likely drawn from the OP's youthful experiences.

LOL! Wrong person. Sorry about that, Della.

AllGoodCover1.jpg

:)

I personally have not enjoyed the way some of our fans have acted post victory. Before the game, the trolling I don't like but what can you do, and the trash talk is just to be expected. After the game, I expect to see class from fellow Vols fans, or at least I hope I do.

Sadly enough, our fan base is large enough that I have, in random bored wandering through Facebook, seen the way some of our fans present themselves publicly, and that is why many times some of the idiocy spewed forth anonymously by our fans doesn't surprise me one bit.

The people who look down on me for posts like this are exactly the ones I'm referring to. If you take pride in mocking an opponent after a game is over, you need to find something more to do with your free time.

Good game NU, I wish you luck next year moving forward.

Well put William DuVOL.

I expect to see UT in the SEC Championship game in 2016. I will be watching the Vols next season!

I truly think next year will be our best shot in a long time. Thank you very much. I hope to see you guys repeat your success again next year as well.

Do you think this level of success is sustainable? I looked back and saw this is your second ten win season in the past few years. It seems you guys have been very up and down the past few years.

I truly think next year will be our best shot in a long time. Thank you very much. I hope to see you guys repeat your success again next year as well.

Do you think this level of success is sustainable? I looked back and saw this is your second ten win season in the past few years. It seems you guys have been very up and down the past few years.
10 wins is our ceiling, IMO. So much seems to depend on luck, injuries, and schedule. We had very close wins against PSU, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Flip those around, and you have 7-5, which I think is about our floor (more like 6 wins)..

You saw the talent issues with our offense. The inability to make plays in the passing game really hurts us against better teams.The defense could only hold on so long. 2015 was an exceptionally good defense by our program standards. Next year looks good, but the offense will have to be significantly better to get us to 10 wins again.

10 wins is our ceiling, IMO. So much seems to depend on luck, injuries, and schedule. We had very close wins against PSU, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Flip those around, and you have 7-5, which I think is about our floor (more like 6 wins)..

You saw the talent issues with our offense. The inability to make plays in the passing game really hurts us against better teams.The defense could only hold on so long. 2015 was an exceptionally good defense by our program standards. Next year looks good, but the offense will have to be significantly better to get us to 10 wins again.

Then it seems your team is much like ours, in that it will require a big step forward in passing to win a conference championship. For all the hype about 2016, unless Dobbs becomes at least a somewhat better passer (particularly on the long ball) I still see offensive inconsistency in our future. Thorson is an underclassmen though correct?

Then it seems your team is much like ours, in that it will require a big step forward in passing to win a conference championship. For all the hype about 2016, unless Dobbs becomes at least a somewhat better passer (particularly on the long ball) I still see offensive inconsistency in our future. Thorson is an underclassmen though correct?
RS Freshman.

RS Freshman.

There's the difference then. He's got a lot more development to undergo. Dobbs will be a senior next year and he really didn't show great improvement from last year. I worry he won't next year either. I can almost guarantee Dobbs will be back due to his major. Thorson can take a great leap between this year and next.

There's the difference then. He's got a lot more development to undergo. Dobbs will be a senior next year and he really didn't show great improvement from last year. I worry he won't next year either. I can almost guarantee Dobbs will be back due to his major. Thorson can take a great leap between this year and next.
We have considerable doubts around here about our staff's ability to develop offensive players. You saw our backup QB--a fifth year senior--and his performance. Our receiver corps in the bowl included a fifth year senior (Jones), a four-year starter at SB (Vitale) who was apparently forgotten, another 5th year senior (Shuler). You saw what a very experienced group was able to do, which was consistent with what they did over the course of the season.

Thorson has the physical tools to be a pro-style passer (height, arm strength, straight line speed). But our staff has to teach him to make much better reads, keep his poise in the pocket, and improve his accuracy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT