ADVERTISEMENT

Vol Fans

Is it shield's life mission to teach us Northwestern heathen the path to righteousness? Can he lead us from the darkness of conceit, arrogance, and pride into the light of humility, love, and respect for fellow mankind. Was the call to the radio station in reality a call to a higher power. Is he here to save us?

It could all be solved if NU mods locked the site to only NU users. It's really not that difficult to fix. I should note, though, that it is nice to be able to talk to opposing teams and learn things about the traditions associated with a school. The garbage spewed here or anywhere else on the Internet is to be taken with a light heart. It's just football, and at the end of the day, there's an ignore button.
That's nice. The game is over. Time for you and your friends to get on home.

It could all be solved if NU mods locked the site to only NU users. It's really not that difficult to fix. I should note, though, that it is nice to be able to talk to opposing teams and learn things about the traditions associated with a school. The garbage spewed here or anywhere else on the Internet is to be taken with a light heart. It's just football, and at the end of the day, there's an ignore button.
We also like being able to speak with fans of other schools. In hundreds of games we have never had an overall experience quite as negative as this one. However, many UT posters that came in the board also brought with them some of the best conversations we have had in some time. There were, at times, genuine exchanges of new ideas and education about the different schools and regions of the country. Those times made me appreciate what the Internet can be when the right people get on. To lock up our site would lose the opportunities for these conversations.

Yes, the moderators have been on high alert and more posts have been deleted due to amazingly foul language than we have ever seen on this board (no close second). But to give up the great conversations that we have had with fans of other schools and even with the UT fans that came here for such conversations rather than to troll or in pursuit of "victim" status would be to throw the baby out with the bath water.

To the several UT fans that have come for the positive conversations, thank you and welcome. To those who have come to troll or become victims, HITW is exactly right, the "ignore" button is always there.

Great post Glide - I knew there was a reason you were one of my favorite posters! I agree with you completely. Yeah, we have to deal with some jerks and trolls (including from our own fanbase) every now and then, but it adds to the overall experience that the good ones get through.

We got our butts kicked, and if the UT people that want to remind us feel they need to do it, let 'em do it. It's worth it for all of the good people that have come around.

What I don't like - and what really offended me - is when someone tries to come to my house and tell me how I'm supposed to live in my own house. You want to come to my house and say "scoreboard!" or all of the other insults about our team, our performance, our fans, whatever, that's your prerogative. I don't have to like it, but it's part of the experience of having this board and being a college football fan. I can live with it. Just don't try to tell me how to react when I'm disappointed about my own team.

Oh, and if the poop story at the hotel is true, I want those a-holes outed. I don't care if they wear the same purple as me, those people are an embarrassment to humanity.

Great post Glide - I knew there was a reason you were one of my favorite posters! I agree with you completely. Yeah, we have to deal with some jerks and trolls (including from our own fanbase) every now and then, but it adds to the overall experience that the good ones get through.

We got our butts kicked, and if the UT people that want to remind us feel they need to do it, let 'em do it. It's worth it for all of the good people that have come around.

What I don't like - and what really offended me - is when someone tries to come to my house and tell me how I'm supposed to live in my own house. You want to come to my house and say "scoreboard!" or all of the other insults about our team, our performance, our fans, whatever, that's your prerogative. I don't have to like it, but it's part of the experience of having this board and being a college football fan. I can live with it. Just don't try to tell me how to react when I'm disappointed about my own team.

Oh, and if the poop story at the hotel is true, I want those a-holes outed. I don't care if they wear the same purple as me, those people are an embarrassment to humanity.
Hey man we all have idiots. The story is true. We are pretty sure they were students. What puzzled me even more was that it was a mix of males and females in the group. The wife added insult to injury when she turned on the wipers like a complete moron. Imagine taking Vaseline and coating the windshield only its doo doo. That's what my suburban looked like. I will admit the first time I saw the doo doo in the coffee filters near the breakfast area I was like like wth. I laughed because I thought someone has gotten really drunk and did something stupid but then when it happened another moring as well then the doo doo smeared on the suburban was the final straw.

Thanx for saying that SC. I believe that fan bases create an atmosphere of tolerance for such behavior and I do not want ours to be one of them. No. I cannot personally track these people down. But I refuse to have an "it's just college football" attitude to such things. It is not. Not at NU.

If the person made it up. Fine. I still want to be on record that this fan base will not do anything but revile such behavior.

There were some particularly senseless and inflammatory posts from a few NU fans here before the game. The "we deserve a better opponent than UT" was particularly dumb, as were a few of the hillbilly stereotype. There is just no reason to go there. Ever. It's a bit embarrassing as an NU fan. I regret not calling these posters out when the posts were initially made, but I wasn't paying enough attention to the trash talk threads.

Reactions: Hurd_Is_The_Word
There were some particularly senseless and inflammatory posts from a few NU fans here before the game. The "we deserve a better opponent than UT" was particularly dumb, as were a few of the hillbilly stereotype. There is just no reason to go there. Ever. It's a bit embarrassing as an NU fan. I regret not calling these posters out when the posts were initially made, but I wasn't paying enough attention to the trash talk threads.
Full disclosure... I started one of those threads.

Nothing about hillbillies (Being Southern, that would make no sense)
No foul language or specifically demeaning adjectives
Nothing derogatory about the football team, the coach, or the university

But, 34 years of living in Tennessee have given me the buttons to push that really aggravate UT fans. I pushed them.

This is not really an apology nor a retraction. I just don't want to be perceived as a hypocrite since I am joining in with this "can't we all just get along" thread.

Full disclosure... I started one of those threads.

Nothing about hillbillies (Being Southern, that would make no sense)
No foul language or specifically demeaning adjectives
Nothing derogatory about the football team, the coach, or the university

But, 34 years of living in Tennessee have given me the buttons to push that really aggravate UT fans. I pushed them.

This is not really an apology nor a retraction. I just don't want to be perceived as a hypocrite since I am joining in with this "can't we all just get along" thread.
I just don't see the point of trash talk that comes close to being personal or insulting to the institution or beyond. We can all see the lovely consequences--basically garbage strewn everywhere--and now all the insightful threads are hard to find amidst all the trash.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I just don't see the point of trash talk that comes close to being personal or insulting to the institution or beyond. We can all see the lovely consequences--basically garbage strewn everywhere--and now all the insightful threads are hard to find amidst all the trash.
Agreed on the purpose and limitations on trash talk. But disagree that there was a strong cause and effect between NU trash talk and the amount of garbage strewn everywhere. I have lived in Tennessee for 34 years and know the fans well. They were coming no matter how nice we were. It would not have changed the volume of their negative posts by much. Maybe in the long haul, we could feel better about ourselves but the UT trolls would have just taken it as a sign of weakness and gotten worse. My two cents.

On the positive side, I saw the better UT fans actually policing some of the threads they were on. They called others out and left the good threads readable and enjoyable. I have honestly never seen that before in one of the "passionate" fan bases (UT, Florida, LSU). I was impressed.

Are you in the Scat group that played in the doo doo and smeared it on my suburban at Hampton Inn and Suites this week in Tampa?
No. But seriously, we are a small fan base and take such things seriously. If you will post or IM to me the precise Hampton Inn, I will call them and make an effort to get the names of those fans. As I have stated previously, we revile such behavior and will endeavor to correct it.

If the fecal phantoms were indeed Northwestern students , then I hope they are discovered. NU needs to be aware of their actions and disciplinary action needs to be taken. Such behavior is intolerable and reprehensible. My sincerest apologies on behalf of Northwestern and the rest of its fan base, which I am sure is not so anal in its orientation.

I've been on VQ for the last 17 years and I've noticed a definite reduction of sportsmanship and civility. Way back in the day you could develop friendships that would last throughout the seasons and, on opponents boards, on an year over year basis. Della is correct in that the only way to rein this type of activity in is by policing ourselves or through more strict moderation. It's really a shame it has to be this way as these forums can be a good way to make friends for away games....

Agreed on the purpose and limitations on trash talk. But disagree that there was a strong cause and effect between NU trash talk and the amount of garbage strewn everywhere. I have lived in Tennessee for 34 years and know the fans well. They were coming no matter how nice we were. It would not have changed the volume of their negative posts by much. Maybe in the long haul, we could feel better about ourselves but the UT trolls would have just taken it as a sign of weakness and gotten worse. My two cents.

On the positive side, I saw the better UT fans actually policing some of the threads they were on. They called others out and left the good threads readable and enjoyable. I have honestly never seen that before in one of the "passionate" fan bases (UT, Florida, LSU). I was impressed.

You are probably right. Trolls gonna troll. They are a bit like walkers in The Walking Dead--slow and grasping, come in waves, and respond to direct stimuli. At least in TWD, a swift lance to the brain stem finishes them off for good. Not really an option here--keyboards would get too messy.

Nashville is a great town, but it sounds like you have had your fill of southern comfort SEC style. We have Packer fans up here.

That actually happened?!!!! We have had our share of drunken buffoonery but I have never heard of anything like this from NU fans. I apologize on behalf of all of us. This is disgusting and wrong.

This is a completely made-up story that changes with every telling. This jerk should have been banned several days ago.

Nashville is a great town, but it sounds like you have had your fill of southern comfort SEC style. We have Packer fans up here.
I am Southern to the bone. I appreciate and enjoy our sub-culture here and the differences between that and the northern and western sub-cultures (and all in between). It is where I am always most comfortable. Being away from home so much makes me appreciate it even more.

That being said...

I was born and raised in Alabama in an Auburn family. The amazing vitriol between those two fan bases is unrivaled in my opinion. That was my "normal" growing up. Fistfights, arrests, property damage based on the game are more than commonplace, they are expected. Other SEC fan bases that I refer to as the "passionate" fan bases (because that is the word they use to justify the actions of some of their extreme members) are Florida, LSU, and to a lesser extent UT.

When I moved for my four years to Big 10 country, I found things very different. Were there extreme fans?... yes. But the percentages were WAY less than what I was used to. Was there trash talk?... yes. But it was not nearly as mean or as angry as I was used to. As I got older and traveled around the country, I found out that the handful (not all) of the SEC schools that I was used to were the exception rather than the rule.

So personally I prefer the less "passionate" fandom of the rest of the country over the over-the-top passion of certain specific SEC schools. I feel it puts the game in a more proper perspective.

But that does not change the fact that I would NEVER make my home anywhere other than the South if I had any say in the matter. It is home.

I haven't trolled anyone. You can't judge all TN fans by a couple of bad ones.

A couple? Try hundreds. It's hard not to judge all TN fans by the hundreds of bad ones. Now this clown makes up some false turd story, and if that isn't phony enough, claims it happened for days.

This is a completely made-up story that changes with every telling. This jerk should have been banned several days ago.
He has absolutely zero evidence that those people were NU fans, unless he saw them at the game in NU gear. I agree with you, Glades -- they don't exist.

(This comment is directed "to the house," not to you, personally, Della.)

People don't seem to understand what a small world this is. I've lived in Nashville for more than 20 years. My youngest son went to school with Jalen Hurd for a while, before Hurd transferred to Beech. My son started in both football and basketball his senior year; his team lost in the D II AA semis in both sports that year to Corn Elder's Ensworth team, IIRC. My son's best pal from HS is a junior at UT right now. Sound like I have my bona fides yet, Tennessee sports fans??

Although my wife's family has Vandy ties, I have no ties to any schools in this area. Not Vandy, not WKU, not MTSU, not UT.

I will not root for UT, and the behavior of your fanbase is the reason why.

Last night I was on the plane from Tampa back to BNA, with a stopover in NOLA. In the back of the plane there were about 15 loud, obnoxious, thoroughly drunk UT fans (drunk BEFORE they got on the plane). I don't think they were college students; they seemed like they were 25-30 ... old enough to know better. They shouted obscenities, mocked the flight crew, and treated us all to two verses of Rocky Top ... Wow, like I'd never heard THAT before. They were so obnoxious, that when the plane landed in NOLA (this was Southwest) most all of the BNA passengers -- including many in UT gear!! -- moved to the front of the airplane to get away from them.

The ballgame ended over 48 hours ago. Notvols and other taunters are still here on our board.

And it's not a "Southern" thing or an SEC thing. NU played Auburn in 2010 and MissSt in 2012, neither fanbase acted like this.

Police your own, guys. Police your own.

Last edited:
I think ya'll have a solid board, and I feel inclined to stay here for a bit longer. Again, thank you for the suggestion. I'm a grown woman, by the way.
Then act like it. Don't taunt, don't patronize, don't rub our faces in the loss. And read my post immediately above.

My youngest son went to school with Jalen Hurd for a while, before Hurd transferred to Beech.
Hurd went to Beech? That explains those two State Championships. I hate driving past that sign at the Sumner County line. As you may have guessed, my son went to Hendersonville.

Your calling me a jerk for sharing the story. Wow. Ok. I didn't break any of your board rules. I simply told you what happened to us. I told you I met a lot of great NU fans but this bunch went overboard. It happened. Just like I stated. The story never changed because the entire thing is true. It happened!
Ambassador: As I have stated before, we are a small fan base and believe in policing our own. Please post or IM me with the precise Hampton Inn at which this happened so that we can call the motel management and try and track down those responsible. Again, as I stated before, we will not tolerate such behavior from NU fans.

Ambassador: As I have stated before, we are a small fan base and believe in policing our own. Please post or IM me with the precise Hampton Inn at which this happened so that we can call the motel management and try and track down those responsible. Again, as I stated before, we will not tolerate such behavior from NU fans.

First of all, the story is made-up nonsense. Secondly, do you seriously think a hotel will give out the names and room numbers of guests to an anonymous stranger with zero legal authority?

First of all, the story is made-up nonsense. Secondly, do you seriously think a hotel will give out the names and room numbers of guests to an anonymous stranger with zero legal authority?
It's not a made up story. This happened last week at the hotel. Does it sound far fetched? Absolutely it does but that's why I felt the need to post. I've been on Volquest for years and have never posted on anyone else's boards. This was so extreme I had to share it. I'm sorry you think we made up the story but we didn't.

It's not a made up story. This happened last week at the hotel. Does it sound far fetched? Absolutely it does but that's why I felt the need to post. I've been on Volquest for years and have never posted on anyone else's boards. This was so extreme I had to share it. I'm sorry you think we made up the story but we didn't.
Ambassador: You have said previously that it was a suburban Hampton Inn. Could you please specify which specific one so that we can follow up? Again, our fan base takes this type of behavior very seriously.

Secondly, do you seriously think a hotel will give out the names and room numbers of guests to an anonymous stranger with zero legal authority?
Of course not. But they will remember if someone put feces into the lobby microwave. Especially if it happened more than once. They will also be able to tell me if they reported the issue to the authorities. Which they should have as that would be a huge health violation for them. If NU fans are being accused of this kind of behavior, I take our reputation seriously enough to want to look into it.

Ambassador: You have said previously that it was a suburban Hampton Inn. Could you please specify which specific one so that we can follow up? Again, our fan base takes this type of behavior very seriously.
The Suburban was my vehicle. Hampton Inn and Suites. The one at Ybor City downtown. We went to Ybor City several nights including ringing in the new year there.

The Suburban was my vehicle. Hampton Inn and Suites. The one at Ybor City downtown. We went to Ybor City several nights including ringing in the new year there.
Thank you. I will look into it.

Edit #1- (8:30 PM - 1/3/16 Central Time) I called and spoke with the desk clerk who was on duty who had no recollection of anything like that happening. He recommended that I call back during the day and speak with a manager who would be more aware of such things.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will look into it.

Edit #1- (8:30 PM - 1/3/16 Central Time) I called and spoke with the desk clerk who was on duty who had no recollection of anything like that happening. He recommended that I call back during the day and speak with a manager who would be more aware of such things.

Don't waste your time. This is made-up nonsense.

He has absolutely zero evidence that those people were NU fans, unless he saw them at the game in NU gear. I agree with you, Glades -- they don't exist.

I'm stunned that anybody ever took this clown seriously. The notion that one unbalanced drunken kid would engage in fecal terrorism is far fetched. A group of like-minded decadents from one elite academic school has Powerball odds of occurring. Duh, of course there's zero evidence this incident ever occurred. However there's tons of evidence of poop spewing Vol trolls on this forum. Fictional narratives like this are invented specifically to insulate Vol fans from criticism for their deplorable behavior. "You can't call us low lifes because..."

For the record I'm an U of Iowa graduate. We got pasted every bit as bad as the Cats. I defy anyone to find taunting, insulting, abusive posts from anyone associated with Stanford on the Hawkeye forum. It was either sanitized real time by moderators or more likely Stanford fans are infinitely more classy than Vol fans. The only taunting comment I encountered on the Hawkeye page was posted by...yes, you guessed it...a Vols fan.

Mr. Ambassador you can save your obligatory "it happened" response. I'll simply assume you're sticking to your pathetic lie.

Don't waste your time. This is made-up nonsense.
It does not take that much time.

Also, I jumped on a pretty strong bully pulpit with the UT fans about how the "that's just college football" mentality about excessive and abusive behavior which is so accepted by the "passionate" fan bases must be unacceptable. And that fan bases must be held accountable for allowing such behavior and not policing their own.

I will take the time to track this down as far as I can from 10,000 miles away. If the hotel manager tells me that he/she believes that it was NU fans, then I will post that information. If I find out otherwise, then I will post that. But I choose to not shrug off an accusation such as this one.

Glide,

If you are not bsing about looking into this, if you really mean it, then call these guys, they will find out what actually
happened in less than a day. I am willing to pitch in for any cost (within reason) because I too am curious.

http://fortresspi.com/

Glide,

If you are not bsing about looking into this, if you really mean it, then call these guys, they will find out what actually
happened in less than a day. I am willing to pitch in for any cost (within reason) because I too am curious.

http://fortresspi.com/
Not sure I am able to pay a PI but if the hotel manager says that something like that did happen, then I might get back with you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT