ADVERTISEMENT

We have a chic and a CatsDad, any other parents OTB?

epicbret

Jan 27, 2005
Crazy to me to have parents here, at least at the collegiate level. NU fans are good folks, but I imagine other fanbases could be quite harsh.

Crazy to me to have parents here, at least at the collegiate level. NU fans are good folks, but I imagine other fanbases could be quite harsh.
NU has had many parents posting throughout the years, although most were a bit more less obvious.

Quite a few parents of the players read the board, more than you think, they just don't post. I believe that most of them don't take anything we say here very seriously, they just get a good giggle once in a while. Maybe sooner or later I'll tell you the story about the mom of one of the players whom told me a long time ago that if she ever met Turk she would rip his throat out with her bare hands. She had consumed a few drinks at the time. I told her that she would like him if she met him. She swore that I was the only one from the board she would speak to because the rest were jerks. Eventually she met Turk and several other people from the board and they all became good buddies. That was many moons ago.

Reactions: rmndcat
It was far worse in high school where we are from on sports blogs, local news article comments, etc - the Dads were brutal to me to start and brutal towards Jalen who was a frosh starting on varsity . . . but, I am an avid (passed avid years ago, actually) football fan, so I have always been involved and not just on my son's team's boards. I still follow the high school teams here (as I did before Jalen was in high school) and participate in the pick'em pool on the most active high school board here still. And after the first couple of years of activity and showing that I am knowledgeable and not just some biased parent, I garnered respect on that board and stopped getting jeered! :cool: They stopped attacking Jalen in posts pretty quickly too, once he and his team succeeded on the field.

And the main (most active) Oregon board has tons and tons of traffic daily, and with the exception of maybe a few critical comments of my son (one mistaking him for another player), they really weren't harsh at all and respected the additional, although somewhat censored, insight I offered. That includes when Jalen decided to transfer - very, very supportive comments, even from many questioning why he would leave that situation, all things considered. I still follow what goes on over there too.

I am even on a sports group page on FB with tons of members, where we debate college and pro sports topics - good stuff!

So I hope I am likewise welcome here and certainly appreciate the insight and information I get from you longtime Wildcat fans & alum, as well as being able to engage in convos or a little banter here and there! :) I will give a little insight as to Jalen here and there, but I am not going to "rep" him, so to speak, nor will I take offense if someone has criticism of him. That's life, and I have thick skin.

It was far worse in high school where we are from on sports blogs, local news article comments, etc - the Dads were brutal to me to start and brutal towards Jalen who was a frosh starting on varsity . . . but, I am an avid (passed avid years ago, actually) football fan, so I have always been involved and not just on my son's team's boards. I still follow the high school teams here (as I did before Jalen was in high school) and participate in the pick'em pool on the most active high school board here still. And after the first couple of years of activity and showing that I am knowledgeable and not just some biased parent, I garnered respect on that board and stopped getting jeered! :cool: They stopped attacking Jalen in posts pretty quickly too, once he and his team succeeded on the field.

And the main (most active) Oregon board has tons and tons of traffic daily, and with the exception of maybe a few critical comments of my son (one mistaking him for another player), they really weren't harsh at all and respected the additional, although somewhat censored, insight I offered. That includes when Jalen decided to transfer - very, very supportive comments, even from many questioning why he would leave that situation, all things considered. I still follow what goes on over there too.

I am even on a sports group page on FB with tons of members, where we debate college and pro sports topics - good stuff!

So I hope I am likewise welcome here and certainly appreciate the insight and information I get from you longtime Wildcat fans & alum, as well as being able to engage in convos or a little banter here and there! :) I will give a little insight as to Jalen here and there, but I am not going to "rep" him, so to speak, nor will I take offense if someone has criticism of him. That's life, and I have thick skin.

We love having you here, don't take anything seriously, and the thick skin is mandatory. Please remember that everyone on this board is a head coach, most of them are offensive Coordinators, and several are position coaches. They are experts on everything.

It's cool you have the gumption to listen to the haters that always show up eventually.

Come week one, drive three, you'll see someone criticizing the WR separation. Be ready lol!

The Nevada safeties are legit though, so he should keep his awareness over the middle. Babers and Rufus, the two best players on that team since Butler went to Iowa. Both good in coverage and like to hit, five forced fumbles between them and 20% of the defenses tackles.

That said, tell Jalen to make them into a Gameday Highlight.

We love having you here, don't take anything seriously, and the thick skin is mandatory. Please remember that everyone on this board is a head coach, most of them are offensive Coordinators, and several are position coaches. They are experts on everything.

Even more impressive, most of us can do it without even leaving our comfy schmumfy couches in our man caves.

Emphasis on Offensive....

Florida, you needn't apologize for us, we are right all of the time, even when we don't know that we aren't (or are). I include Turk in that--he is right much of the time, he just has an odd way of driving a point down your throat (like endlessly). The point is, attacking players is out of line, they're doing the best they can. Attacking the coaches, that's another whole thing, and I think some deserve criticism. If Fitz had listened to us, Colby would have been gone much sooner, for example. And, of course, there is Wrassler who is nearly single-handedly responsible for the success of our current defense. A-hem.

The Nevada safeties are legit though, so he should keep his awareness over the middle. Babers and Rufus, the two best players on that team since Butler went to Iowa. Both good in coverage and like to hit, five forced fumbles between them and 20% of the defenses tackles.

That said, tell Jalen to make them into a Gameday Highlight.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I very well could be, but wouldn't it be a bad thing if their safeties have that high a % of their tackles?

Not saying they're not good, no idea if they are or aren't, but I'd guess this was a bad indictment on their front 7 more than a good indictment on their safety play...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I very well could be, but wouldn't it be a bad thing if their safeties have that high a % of their tackles?

Not saying they're not good, no idea if they are or aren't, but I'd guess this was a bad indictment on their front 7 more than a good indictment on their safety play...

Yes. That's typically not a great thing.

I stated they are big hitters, and their proclivity to tackles shows they do not shy from contact. Nevada, despite their abysmal overall defense, ranked in the top tier of defenses in preventing big passing plays. That's because of good safety play.

If your safety is making the tackle, that's not good on the defense. However it's worse if that safety also misses the play. These two tend not to...

If Jalen is forcing safeties to make tackles, that's great, but they still have the potential to pop him as they are sure tackling, hard-hitting safeties.

NU had a Safety last season who was in the top 5 in the Big 10 in tackles.....

Almost like there's a reason I said "typically," eh? I should have been more precise with my phrasing, as it's typically a bad thing for BOTH safeties to have a ton of tackles; that basically means the front seven isn't doing very well in stopping plays before they reach the second- or third-level. The stats section of the Nevada site appears to be down, but if in fact the safeties were the top two tacklers (or even an outsized percentage)... definitely not good.

Godwin is an exceptional player who's around the ball a lot, but Queiro and McGee weren't even in the top five tacklers last year.

Florida, you needn't apologize for us, we are right all of the time, even when we don't know that we aren't (or are). I include Turk in that--he is right much of the time, he just has an odd way of driving a point down your throat (like endlessly). The point is, attacking players is out of line, they're doing the best they can. Attacking the coaches, that's another whole thing, and I think some deserve criticism. If Fitz had listened to us, Colby would have been gone much sooner, for example. And, of course, there is Wrassler who is nearly single-handedly responsible for the success of our current defense. A-hem.

Colby should have been gone before Fitz was the head coach.

That includes when Jalen decided to transfer - very, very supportive comments, even from many questioning why he would leave that situation, all things considered.
1. A team with a quality quarterback who has proven he can be successful with a great receiver on the field gives a receiver an opportunity to contribute in a big way and to showcase his talents.
2. Getting an NU graduate degree to go with an Oregon undergrad.

I don't understand what question they could have. Your son made a clearly good choice for himself and his future.

1. A team with a quality quarterback who has proven he can be successful with a great receiver on the field gives a receiver an opportunity to contribute in a big way and to showcase his talents.
2. Getting an NU graduate degree to go with an Oregon undergrad.

I don't understand what question they could have. Your son made a clearly good choice for himself and his future.

You are preaching to the choir on that!!! :)

Almost like there's a reason I said "typically," eh? I should have been more precise with my phrasing, as it's typically a bad thing for BOTH safeties to have a ton of tackles; that basically means the front seven isn't doing very well in stopping plays before they reach the second- or third-level. The stats section of the Nevada site appears to be down, but if in fact the safeties were the top two tacklers (or even an outsized percentage)... definitely not good.

Godwin is an exceptional player who's around the ball a lot, but Queiro and McGee weren't even in the top five tacklers last year.

Their stats last year would not necessarily be very telling, since it is a whole new staff this year, and Casteel runs a 3-3-5 defense - but that defense the way he runs it results in safeties having the lion's share of the tackles, which is exactly what happened at UofA when Casteel ran it there - leading tacklers were 3 safeties and a corner - by a fairly wide margin

Reactions: freewillie07
Their stats last year would not necessarily be very telling, since it is a whole new staff this year, and Casteel runs a 3-3-5 defense - but that defense the way he runs it results in safeties having the lion's share of the tackles, which is exactly what happened at UofA when Casteel ran it there - leading tacklers were 3 safeties and a corner - by a fairly wide margin

Fair points all.

(You'll get along here just fine if I do say so myself.)

Reactions: BigCatCT

Actually, I'm an assistant coach, but my sport is their sport's punishment.

Fair points all.

(You'll get along here just fine if I do say so myself.)
No she won't. She is too through. She presents logically with evidence. People will feel cornered and argue anyway; further embarrassing themselves, which will cause resentment as they dig in to their untenable positions.;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT