ADVERTISEMENT

We're #1!

I think it's great too, but what's a Hampshire Honor Society?

Last edited:
I would take 7 Hampshire inductees if we could get 3 more wins than expected this upcoming season.

The Student Athlete...the last of the Mohicans.....the Renaissance Man....and weve got em...OSU dont have em,,cant get em at PSU.nope........GO CATS.......in all seriousness the efforts of NU to maintain the concept of students also competing as athletes to represent their school in full view of the nation is just so admirable......so I am going to continue to root for the Cats as they push that rock up the hill.....but would also root for a player or two who appears to have a heavier rock to push...isnt that even just a little more noble?
and CONGRATS to the 10 who made the grade (3.2) over their careers as students and players at NU

...isnt that even just a little more noble?
No offense, but no, it’s not. Noble means “having or showing fine personal qualities or high moral principles and ideals.” Morality has absolutely no bearing on this. And in terms of personal qualities, why is an NU student athlete any better or more principled than a guy at, say, Arkansas Little Rock who struggles just to get a 2.0 because academics just aren’t their thing - or they grew up in the wrong school system that never developed their academic skills - yet they push, do the best they can and *still* play sports. Shouldn’t that be *more* noble?

This idea that “our guys do it better” or “the right way” is quaint but obnoxious. Just a fancier way of saying “it’s alright, it’s okay, you’re gonna work for us some day” when we’re getting blown out. It doesn’t make us inherently better than any other program. It’s time to let that go.

That said, congrats to the 10 players on their achievement.

Last edited:
No offense, but no, it’s not. Noble means “having or showing fine personal qualities or high moral principles and ideals.” Morality has absolutely no bearing on this. And in terms of personal qualities, why is an NU student athlete any better or more principled than a guy at, say, Arkansas Little Rock who struggles just to get a 2.0 because academics just aren’t their thing - or they grew up in the wrong school system that never developed their academic skills - yet they push, do the best they can and *still* play sports. Shouldn’t that be *more* noble?

This idea that “our guys do it better” or “the right way” is quaint but obnoxious. Just a fancier way of saying “it’s alright, it’s okay, you’re gonna work for us some day” when we’re getting blown out. It doesn’t make us inherently better than any other program. It’s time to let that go.

That said, congrats to the 10 players on their achievement.
Yawn. Let's dilute the accomplishment of kids that actually go to class and do the work by citing teams/schools with different standards and levels of competition. It's disingenuous to compare us to even MAC level schools, when we are clearly competing against behemoths with a) tremendous advantages and b) lets say, a more "relaxed" approach to education. I know what you mean - I spent 7 years 2013-20 in Balt City and the schools would be laughable if it weren't so sad. But - those kids aren't playing college football.

Yawn. Let's dilute the accomplishment of kids that actually go to class and do the work by citing teams/schools with different standards and levels of competition.
I didn't dilute anything. I think it's great we had 10 kids recognized by whatever group it was; they and their families should be proud. I just think we as a fan base need to stop patting ourselves on the back and saying "we're special" and "more noble" than others. If these same guys played for another school and were recognized for the same award, it wouldn't make them any less accomplished. End of the day, it's just elitist nonsense.

Reactions: catfans5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT