ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin's Running Game Hardly Flourishes Against Northwestern

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004

It’s a good thought, but the benefit of having Wisconsin’s strong defense to work against during a week of prep hasn’t exactly paid off in dividends against Northwestern.

In the last five meetings, the Badgers have averaged 113.6 rushing yards and 3.0 yards per carry against the Wildcats defense (568 yards on 188 carries), including an ugly minus-26 yards on 26 attempts in 2015. They’ve scored seven rushing touchdowns but have only had four carries going for at least 20 yards.

Since Melvin Gordon ran for 259 yards against Northwestern in 2014, Wisconsin has only had two 100-yard rushers and no tailbacks breaking the 120-yard barrier. And for as many yards as tailback Jonathan Taylor generating in three seasons, the two-time Doak Walker Award winner totaled just 245 yards on 56 carries in three seasons.

As long as there's no major breakdowns on run D on both sides, the game will turn on the passing game and QB play (also could turn on special teams).

Hopefully, the Cats secondary can force young Mertz into a mistake or 2.

This seems to be a pretty decent run blocking OL, as far as Badger OLs go but every game against NU is tough on us, because NU plays the same smart disciplined players UW has, so our edge there doesn’t help.
Watson is starting to show signs of being a pretty good inside runner and we unleashed our latest 4 star TB from Jersey last week Berger and he looked pretty quick, though he needs to add more strength IMO.
All that being said, we have a very good passing game this season already, question is, will Chryst play to win, as he did in the first two games against the Illini and Michigan or will he play NOT to lose, as we often do against the Cats.
We have two feisty, speedy veteran WR’s in Danny Davis and Kendrick Pryor with Jake Ferguson at TE.
This is a strong receiving corps along with true Frosh WR, Chimere Dike ,who is our fastest player and a future star.
Defense is strong, though a bit banged up last week , if everybody is playing this week, the strength is the DL and DBs.
Linebackers are strong and smart but not as athletic as recent UW Backers who pretty much are all playing in the NFL.
Should be another hard fought, close game.

This seems to be a pretty decent run blocking OL, as far as Badger OLs go but every game against NU is tough on us, because NU plays the same smart disciplined players UW has, so our edge there doesn’t help.
Watson is starting to show signs of being a pretty good inside runner and we unleashed our latest 4 star TB from Jersey last week Berger and he looked pretty quick, though he needs to add more strength IMO.
All that being said, we have a very good passing game this season already, question is, will Chryst play to win, as he did in the first two games against the Illini and Michigan or will he play NOT to lose, as we often do against the Cats.
We have two feisty, speedy veteran WR’s in Danny Davis and Kendrick Pryor with Jake Ferguson at TE.
This is a strong receiving corps along with true Frosh WR, Chimere Dike ,who is our fastest player and a future star.
Defense is strong, though a bit banged up last week , if everybody is playing this week, the strength is the DL and DBs.
Linebackers are strong and smart but not as athletic as recent UW Backers who pretty much are all playing in the NFL.

Northwestern is basically Wisconsin with a half notch less talent. This has largely been true for 25 yrs where these are among the best coached, best run programs in the country. Wisc has always had excellent if not elite talent, NU has been more middle of the road talent, but we have gotten deeper overall and more talented on defense over the years. Wisc is a top 10-15 program nationally and I'd say Northwestern (if objectively looking at the records and not the perception) is a top 25-30 program nationally.

Wiskey seems to reload every year, same-players-different-names kind of feel to it. Instead of Badgers, you guys should be named Groundhogs.

This game will be the stiffest test for Mertz to date. He was near perfect against Illannoys, but his passing stats against Meatchicken were a more pedestrian 12-22, 127y 2 TD, 0 INT. He's obviously very talented and so far has made good decisions. We'll see what Hank has schemed up to try to confuse and pressure him.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Agree that NU has been an underrated program and to an extent, Wisconsin has been also.
We’d like to think that this year’s class , following last year’s excellent class, will make us a better overall program 2-3 years down the line .
I for one think the 2021 class is the best Badger class in recent memory, so you better get us now!
As for Mertz, the first game was so ridiculously good, I’d throw it out as an anomaly, however last week’s more tepid results can be blamed on two weeks off in the Covid protocol, sitting on his butt with no practice time until mid week before the game.
I‘d like to think we will see a performance right in between both games that he has played so far but obviously a stinker will show up eventually in almost any first year QB’s resume.
Mertz is good though, strong arm, accurate, moves better than I expected also, very confident, he has a good future.
Should be a very interesting game after which both teams will know exactly where they stand.
If Badgers win, we probably are a lock to win the West again.
What’s funny is, if NU decided to cancel the game for Covid related reasons and we both win out, NU wins the division!

Last edited:
Agree that NU has been an underrated program and to an extent, Wisconsin has been also.
We’d like to think that this year’s class , following last year’s excellent class will make us a better overall program, 2-3 years down the line .
I for one think the 2021 class is the best Badger class in recent memory, so you better get us now!
As for Mertz, the first game was so ridiculously good, I’d throw it out as an anomaly, however last week’s more tepid results can be blamed on two weeks off in the Covid protocol, sitting on his butt with no practice time until mid week before the game.
I‘d like to think we will see a performance right in between both games that he has played so far but obviously a stinker will show up eventually in almost any first year QB’s resume.
Mertz is good though, strong arm, accurate, moves better than I expected also, very confident, he has a good future.
Should be a very interesting game after which both teams will know exactly where they stand.
If Badgers win, we probably are a lock to win the West again.
What’s funny is, if NU decided to cancel the game for Covid related reasons and we both win out, NU wins the division!

Some items that give me hope for a Wildcat W on Saturday.

1. Ryan Field has become a graveyard for the Badgers. History is on our side.
2. Northwestern has the ability to put 8-9 in the box with lock down man coverage.
3. Our kicking game and special teams have improved a bunch.
4. We can defend the run very well. Even against Wisconsin.
5. We can defend the forward pass very well. Even against Mertz.
6. If NU can get the game to the 4th quarter, we're pretty good in close games.
7. Mertz will face pressure and adversity for the first time in his brief career. Will he throw his first pick or 2? Is there a strip sack or pick six waiting to happen?

A few items that don't.

1. We have no offensive matchups that favor NU. I looked really hard. None.
2. We don't have a great history in nationally televised prime time games.
3. Wisconsin is really good and well coached.
4. We have not been stellar with our ball security.
5. If Mertz gets comfortable and finds his groove, we're toast.

On the bright side, how cool is it to be playing for something BIG? In a year when every game is a gift.

GOUNUII

I think it will be much harder to sustain long drives against that Wisc D like we saw vs. PU and Iowa. It will be up to our defense to shorten or flip the field, as our ST generally plays it safe.

If the weather is wet and sloppy, it may help negate some of WI's downfield passing game. NU doesn't really have a downfield passing game (just glimpses of one), so poor weather (and that NU turf) could help the Cats. I think they will need all the help they can get to beat the Badgers.

Hopefully academic, but there has been some discussion here that suggested Wisconsin could get the division title with less wins than Northwestern. Not sure that contemplated Northwestern having any of its games cancelled though.

Hopefully academic, but there has been some discussion here that suggested Wisconsin could get the division title with less wins than Northwestern. Not sure that contemplated Northwestern having any of its games cancelled though.
If Badgers or anyone else has three games canceled , they can’t win the division and go to Indy , if you play SICK, you probably are winners by default.
Of course Cats don’t want to win it that way this isn’t the pro’s it’s college sports.

Some items that give me hope for a Wildcat W on Saturday.

1. Ryan Field has become a graveyard for the Badgers. History is on our side.
2. Northwestern has the ability to put 8-9 in the box with lock down man coverage.
3. Our kicking game and special teams have improved a bunch.
4. We can defend the run very well. Even against Wisconsin.
5. We can defend the forward pass very well. Even against Mertz.
6. If NU can get the game to the 4th quarter, we're pretty good in close games.
7. Mertz will face pressure and adversity for the first time in his brief career. Will he throw his first pick or 2? Is there a strip sack or pick six waiting to happen?

A few items that don't.

1. We have no offensive matchups that favor NU. I looked really hard. None.
2. We don't have a great history in nationally televised prime time games.
3. Wisconsin is really good and well coached.
4. We have not been stellar with our ball security.
5. If Mertz gets comfortable and finds his groove, we're toast.

On the bright side, how cool is it to be playing for something BIG? In a year when every game is a gift.

GOUNUII
You missed one of the most important reasons for hope on Saturday... Doc.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Doc is also somewhat pissed that they chose the other guy to stay on and basically let him go. I'm fine for Hank to have a big chip on his shoulder for Wisconsin. Let the dogs out.

Reactions: SpiroCAT
Doc is also somewhat pissed that they chose the other guy to stay on and basically let him go. I'm fine for Hank to have a big chip on his shoulder for Wisconsin. Let the dogs out.
Yeah they kept the other guy, and two years later he left to go to Northern Illinois. Two years after that, he went to North Carolina State and is still there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT