ADVERTISEMENT

Yup, Michigan Lost

Really?!? Rooting against a school where kids actually have to go to class and maintain at least some standard of academic propriety, and pulling for an ACC team where calling a player a 'student athlete' is laughable?

Reactions: goofymax and Fitz51
which gives me warm fuzzies.

FSU gave the Wolverinz the ball at the 1, and Michigan ended up with 3 points. Have to think Peppers would have been deployed in the wildcat formation there.

Go Noles!

Peppers is "injured". Really? Maybe he is sitting out to avoid hurting his draft prospects......;)

which gives me warm fuzzies.

FSU gave the Wolverinz the ball at the 1, and Michigan ended up with 3 points. Have to think Peppers would have been deployed in the wildcat formation there.

Go Noles!

Wilton Speight is probably the most overrated Big 10 QB not named Mitch Leidner.

Really?!? Rooting against a school where kids actually have to go to class and maintain at least some standard of academic propriety, and pulling for an ACC team where calling a player a 'student athlete' is laughable?
So isn't that rooting against a school NU is much more likely to go head to head against in recruiting than FSU. I would think NU fans should almost always root against big ten teams unless maybe they are playing Stanford, duke or Vandy. I have never, understood all the conference pride nonsense

Some on this board were calling him a top QB in the conference a few weeks ago.
I think he is only a sophomore and he has done pretty well but he has a ton of support; a great line, four good RB's, great receivers, an incredible Tight end In Butt and a huge distraction in Peppers. I don't think he is any better than CT.

Crazy damn finish. Mistaken decision to return a kickoff pays off big; blocked extra point returned for a conversion; what next?

Great comeback by Michigan. It is a shame they fell short. Word is Butt tore his ACL. If true, another reason why projected top draft picks should skip bowl games.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Great comeback by Michigan. It is a shame they fell short. Word is Butt tore his ACL. If true, another reason why projected top draft picks should skip bowl games.

You'll see more and more of it in the coming years, and I have zero issue with it.

Reactions: villox
I have never, understood all the conference pride nonsense

A strong conference benefits Northwestern, period. Would you rather be the champs (or in this year's case, a 6-6 team) in a tough conference or one perceived to be weak? Ask the Big 12 or Pac-12 if they enjoyed the "who gets left out of the playoff this year?" debate.

As much as I loath Michigan and the Ohio State, these two institutions:
1) Help enable Northwestern to cash $50MM checks each year for tv rights. How much of that do you think is driven by demand for NU sports inventory?
2) To my knowledge, have always supported equal revenue sharing because they, too, understand that having strong programs from top to bottom benefit everyone in the family. They want Northwestern to be strong, and Illinois, and Purdue, and IU, and so on...
3) Again, to my knowledge, have never criticized the "Northwesterns" of the conference for essentially taking the money and running - barely reinvesting in their revenue sports programs in a manner consistent with the wealth we enjoy from our conference membership.

I'm not enjoying myself with this post, but this is why "the conference pride nonsense" is a thing.

...can I assume we're good here, and I don't need to start in on the academic integrity piece?

A strong conference benefits Northwestern, period. Would you rather be the champs (or in this year's case, a 6-6 team) in a tough conference or one perceived to be weak? Ask the Big 12 or Pac-12 if they enjoyed the "who gets left out of the playoff this year?" debate.

As much as I loath Michigan and the Ohio State, these two institutions:
1) Help enable Northwestern to cash $50MM checks each year for tv rights. How much of that do you think is driven by demand for NU sports inventory?
2) To my knowledge, have always supported equal revenue sharing because they, too, understand that having strong programs from top to bottom benefit everyone in the family. They want Northwestern to be strong, and Illinois, and Purdue, and IU, and so on...
3) Again, to my knowledge, have never criticized the "Northwesterns" of the conference for essentially taking the money and running - barely reinvesting in their revenue sports programs in a manner consistent with the wealth we enjoy from our conference membership.

I'm not enjoying myself with this post, but this is why "the conference pride nonsense" is a thing.

...can I assume we're good here, and I don't need to start in on the academic integrity piece?

I totally agree with this and it is the same reasoning that validates our indignation when B1G teams misbehave like PSU and Minny. Our destinies and reputations are tied together.

Two top teams playing near peak performance level - what bowl games are supposed to be. Could easily have gone either way. Best bowl game so far.

Too bad for FSU they can't do better than 4th in the final rankings rankings. The playoffs need a bigger bracket.

It's essentially picking what evil you hate the most and given how many Michigan fans are around my area I loathe when they win.
It's karma for Michigan. The missed off sides is payback for the missed "not set on their last second field goal to tie at Ryan Field. Karma is... And to get the ball on the 1 yd line and settle for three ( sounds like the old NU) is not what champions are made of.
Tearing his ACL is terrible but Cook did not shy away from playing, and played well.

BTW, that horse ridden by the chief spooked and fell backwards during the pregame spear plant. I am amazed the chief was not maimed when the horse fell on him.
Hope the horse is ok. Also when will the university stop that racist chop chant?

While I agree with the overall point of your post, I am old enough to remember the 70s and 80s when Ohio State, Michigan, and others DEFINITELY criticized NU getting our portion of the Bg 10 pie.

Two top teams playing near peak performance level - what bowl games are supposed to be. Could easily have gone either way. Best bowl game so far.

Too bad for FSU they can't do better than 4th in the final rankings. The playoffs need a bigger bracket.
Oh right lets have unpaid teenagers play as many games has paid professional men. How about 16 game or even a 32 game playoff, so then some can complain why State U is only rated #17 or #33.

Reactions: Fitz51
While I agree with the overall point of your post, I am old enough to remember the 70s and 80s when Ohio State, Michigan, and others DEFINITELY criticized NU getting our portion of the Bg 10 pie.

Thanks for the correction (I really didn't know). Either way, it seems like those days are behind us and I'll say as a Northwestern fan I'm much happier sharing the bus (and the money) with the likes of Michigan than a Texas or an Alabama.

Oh right lets have unpaid teenagers play as many games has paid professional men. How about 16 game or even a 32 game playoff, so then some can complain why State U is only rated #17 or #33.

College football is the only sport where rankings below the top 4 are supposed. It's anti-sport and should be fixed. If it means reducing the number of regular season games, that's the cost. That would actually be a health benefit for all teams.

After FSU's hard-fought W, they get only a participation cert in place of ranking. I think they might well beat 3 of the top 4 seeds.

College football is the only sport where rankings below the top 4 are supposed. It's anti-sport and should be fixed. If it means reducing the number of regular season games, that's the cost. That would actually be a health benefit for all teams.

After FSU's hard-fought W, they get only a participation cert in place of ranking. I think they might well beat 3 of the top 4 seeds.

Well, if the one you think they might lose to isn't Clemson, then they might only beat 2 of the top 4 since they already lost to the Tigers!

I don't get how any of the top four can finish anywhere but in the top 4. Losing to a top 4 team in the playoff shouldn't drop you below a team that beat a 6th ranked team in essentially a home game by a single point, for example....;)

An eight-team playoff would result in exactly one extra game for four teams and two extra for two teams, since all obviously would be bowl teams anyway. Division II currently plays a 28-team playoff, and far fewer of those players are on scholarship.

Given how little effort Northwestern put into fielding a competitive team in those days, the criticism was probably justified.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Hope the horse is ok. Also when will the university stop that racist chop chant?

Did the Michigan team running onto the field, spook the horse. It looked like Harbaugh held the team back then said "what the hell" and sent them on the field

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT