ADVERTISEMENT

Torvik metrics now added to team sheets used for NCAA selection

I subscribe to Eamonn Brennan's substack (former college basketball beat writer for The Athletic), and he had an interview with Bart Torvik regarding the inclusion of his metrics onto the teamsheets. I wanted to share an excerpt from the interview as I appreciated the nuance that his metrics are trying to capture (bold is Eamonn Brennan, while italics is Bart Torvik)

First of all, for the uninitiated, could you explain the general Torvik rankings and, maybe especially, Wins Above Bubble? What are they designed to do? How are they similar or different from what the committee already uses? How should fans understand their place on the team sheets?

Re: the general ratings, they are fairly similar to Kenpom, the NET, and BPI. Like Kenpom and the NET, the core of the ratings is based on adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency: points scored and allowed per possession, adjusted for strength of opponent and the location of the game. There are additional adjustments that give recent games more weight and give very little or no weight to blowouts in mismatches.

My ratings have two more unique aspects. First, for each game I use play-by-play data to determine a team's average lead or deficit, and derive an alternate calculation of efficiency using that data, which I then average with the "pure" efficiency. This rewards what some call "game control" in football. In short, a team that gets up 15 points and maintains that lead will have a better rating than a team that played a close game and then stretched the lead to fifteen in the final minutes (even though the pure efficiency numbers will be identical).

Second, and relatedly, I disregard garbage time for purposes of calculating this "GameScript +/-" stat. This further deemphasizes relatively meaningless fluctuations in the final score, and provides some disincentive to run up the score.

Wins Above Bubble is ultimately based on wins and losses only, but it uses the underlying power rating to give more credit for wins over better teams (and more punishment for losses to worse teams). Using any power rating, you can calculate how many wins a bubble-quality team would expect to win against any given team's schedule. For example, under my system a bubble quality team would on average be expected to have won 19.1 games against Wisconsin's pre-tourney schedule last year. Since Wisconsin actually won 22 games against that schedule, they had a WAB of +2.9. If they'd won 17 games, they'd have had a WAB of -2.1.

WAB is similar in theory to ESPN's Strength of Record metric on the team sheet, but I believe it is a little better tailored for tournament selection. Also, since the NCAA will be using NET to calculate its WAB metric, I think there is a good chance that it will become the de facto resume standard for the committee and may get more attention, which would be good in my view.

I understand that just because these types of metrics are on the teamsheets, that it doesn't guarantee that they'll be utilized. However, I appreciate the continuous learning and innovation that folks out there are trying in service to facilitating a more equitable evaluation.

The interview closes with this exchange:

Lastly, I have a theory, one I feel was hammered home by the news Thursday: NCAA Tournament selection is better than ever. That doesn't mean it's perfect, or that there aren't flaws with the NET and certain committee emphases. But the process itself -- and especially the data being used -- is light years ahead of where it was a decade ago, especially relative to the number of annual complaints about it. What do you think?

I agree the data is better, and I get the sense that there is a real commitment from the people in charge to use the best data available. There may be disagreements about what that means, and I think that's part of why they like to have a variety of different ratings available. I will say that I'm sticking to my line that "committees aren't sports" and there are some aspects of committee decision-making in general that are not ideal and will never be ideal. We don't really need a committee at all. But I understand some of the reasons we have one, and likely will continue to have one, and I agree they are getting better over time.

Analytics like "Wins Against Bubble" will improve, and ultimately Torvik (and a growing chorus of others) believe that there's no point to having a committee. However, I agree with Brennan (not excerpted here, but summarized from his end of newsletter reflection on the interview) - it'll really be tough to imagine that college basketball fans will accept a pure formula to determine the brackets.

Tomorrow is one year anniversary of PF firing

Glad the school has been so diligent tracking down and holding to account the people who perpetrated the “hazing”.
Nailed it.

ALL of this excrement explosion is about a CRIME, sexual assault. How CAN the perps walk away as if nothing had happened, nobody notices?

Any day NU fans don't have to read more about any of it is a good day.

Fitz didn’t acknowledge the problems in the 3-9 and 1-11 seasons. He lost me with his arrogant and snippy attitude during the press conferences.
I really don't understand why the coach of a team that perennially struggles to attract a fanbase would respond to the press telling him that fans were concerned with the direction of the program with "hashtag Idon'tcare". It just comes across as incredibly tone-deaf and arrogant.
Reactions: Hkjb and cattul

NU football was a joke for Fitz’s final two seasons.

NU football is almost certainly the only program where 4-20 (2-16) in year 17(!) doesn’t get the head coach fired.
At 20 years of service, Coaches typically get evaluated on their full body of work. NU is not exactly a desirable job for Coaches that are appealing to the Blue Bloods. They were always going to get a perceived up and comer as a replacement. Hopefully, Braun can navigate the land mines the university throws his way.

Athlon - Anonymous coaches on NU

Like I said, I liked Dunbar a lot and was sorry to see him go I think when Fitz was named HC he felt slighted as he had been a HC at a Northern Iowa and here was a young guy with no experience put in front of him and felt he needed to move on. So he went to Cal as OC for a year and then came back to BIG at MINN as OC

Dunbar left while "Walk" was still alive. The season ended, Dunbar left for Cal and six months later tragedy stuck. Had he stayed he indeed probably would have been named HC (of course, we will never know for sure).
Reactions: hdhntr1

NU football is almost certainly the only program where 4-20 (2-16) in year 17(!) doesn’t get the head coach fired.
Fitz didn’t acknowledge the problems in the 3-9 and 1-11 seasons. He lost me with his arrogant and snippy attitude during the press conferences. I also sense he knew about some of the hazing and tried to laugh it off as good clean American fun - which it wasn’t. He was great for Northwestern, and then he wasn’t.

The hard truth is that the football program was on solid footing when Fitzgerald was (wrongfully?) terminated.

Solid footing? Not sure about that. I just think Fitz was way too stubborn and set in his ways. He would only ok change when it was way overdue and then he’d limit it- keep the OC because can’t have too much change…. As a season ticket holder he presided over 3 years in 4 that were pretty much unwatchable football.

I just think things had sort of passed Pat by, and he had grown somewhat complacent with his fat contract and thinking he was always safe.

Maybe NU will struggle moving forward with the new era of NIL, portal, etc. I just see a guy like Braun being way more quick to adjust and adaptive than I think Fitz could ever be, especially at this time in his career

I'm not going to agree or disagree about Fitzgerald's ability to adapt to NIL and the portal. He always sold something different - go to a prestigious school, get your degree, become an adult, succeed at life. If you're good enough you can pursue the NFL. He would not have done a 180 and started "shilling" to the best available players in the portal. I'm sure of that. But "old school" works for a lot of young guys. We sort of have to stick to our message. We can't just be another non-descript school throwing money at kids - it won't work.

Last I checked, Fitzgerald brought in Peyton Ramsey as a grad school QB and that worked. He brought in Henning and Bryant as well. Without them we probably don't win 6 games last year. He was adapting, but sure, he was probably slow to do so. And the defense first/conservative offense used to drive me nuts at times.

Fitzgerald was a great representative of Northwestern - the face of the university.
He was more dependent on his coordinators than I realized.

One could easily argue that the necessary change was made.
Fitzgerald hired David Braun as defensive coordinator to replace the inept Jim O'Neil.

"We are thrilled to officially welcome David, Kristin, Lucas and Andrew, to our football family," Fitzgerald said. "His record on the field speaks for itself during a decorated leadership tenure with one of the most successful programs in college football. The innovative ways he thinks about defense, and his passion for creating relationships with players immediately stood out during a comprehensive search process. His enthusiasm for the game is obvious and infectious, and we already are beginning to see the impact he's having on our student-athletes and staff."

It is pretty obvious, isn't it? I mean, seriously. Logic is a stubborn thing.

If I recall correctly, Fitzgerald and the Cats had a crap season in 2019, going 3-9 with 5-star transfer Hunter Johnson handed the reins.
Fitzgerald publicly declared "That will never happen again."
Then Covid came along, we ran a "gold standard" program, finished 7-2 and kicked Auburn's ass in the Citrus Bowl.
Hankwitz retired. Fitzgerald made the biggest mistake of his career and hired Jim O'Neil to replace Hankwitz.
Seasons of 3-9 and 1-11 followed, with the defense cratering.
Fitzgerald fired O'Neil and brought in Braun.
Things improved immediately.

The hard truth is that the football program was on solid footing when Fitzgerald was (wrongfully?) terminated.
Solid footing? Not sure about that. I just think Fitz was way too stubborn and set in his ways. He would only ok change when it was way overdue and then he’d limit it- keep the OC because can’t have too much change…. As a season ticket holder he presided over 3 years in 4 that were pretty much unwatchable football.

I just think things had sort of passed Pat by, and he had grown somewhat complacent with his fat contract and thinking he was always safe.

Maybe NU will struggle moving forward with the new era of NIL, portal, etc. I just see a guy like Braun being way more quick to adjust and adaptive than I think Fitz could ever be, especially at this time in his career

Don’t want to dig into all the off the field and legal stuff, but from a purely football standpoint this may end up being a good thing for the NU program in the long run. Would have been tough for them to ever let Fitz go based on performance record wise, but he seemed to be stale and burnt out at the end. Braun brings some much needed energy and fresh outlook to things. I was a huge fan of Fitz, but sometimes change is needed.

One could easily argue that the necessary change was made.
Fitzgerald hired David Braun as defensive coordinator to replace the inept Jim O'Neil.

"We are thrilled to officially welcome David, Kristin, Lucas and Andrew, to our football family," Fitzgerald said. "His record on the field speaks for itself during a decorated leadership tenure with one of the most successful programs in college football. The innovative ways he thinks about defense, and his passion for creating relationships with players immediately stood out during a comprehensive search process. His enthusiasm for the game is obvious and infectious, and we already are beginning to see the impact he's having on our student-athletes and staff."

It is pretty obvious, isn't it? I mean, seriously. Logic is a stubborn thing.

If I recall correctly, Fitzgerald and the Cats had a crap season in 2019, going 3-9 with 5-star transfer Hunter Johnson handed the reins.
Fitzgerald publicly declared "That will never happen again."
Then Covid came along, we ran a "gold standard" program, finished 7-2 and kicked Auburn's ass in the Citrus Bowl.
Hankwitz retired. Fitzgerald made the biggest mistake of his career and hired Jim O'Neil to replace Hankwitz.
Seasons of 3-9 and 1-11 followed, with the defense cratering.
Fitzgerald fired O'Neil and brought in Braun.
Things improved immediately.

Don’t want to dig into all the off the field and legal stuff, but from a purely football standpoint this may end up being a good thing for the NU program in the long run. Would have been tough for them to ever let Fitz go based on performance record wise, but he seemed to be stale and burnt out at the end. Braun brings some much needed energy and fresh outlook to things. I was a huge fan of Fitz, but sometimes change is needed.
Talk to me in 2-3 years
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT