ADVERTISEMENT

A healthy TJ should be a substantial improvement

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
Even if he doesn’t win the job he’s a guy who I think can run a full offense, make good decisions etc... If Hunter or Marty beat him out that that’s telling me that they have improved a lot.

Reactions: DaCat
Obviously, Green is going to be the starter. HJ has a skillset but he couldnt beat out Marty or an awful Smith. Sorta reminds me of 4 star Tony Stauss. All you social media guys annointed Stauss as our savior but he couldnt bring it on Saturdays. Not saying HJ will end up like Stauss but he is 1 or 2 years away. Marty showed that he is a leader so my guess is that he backs up Green.

Green is a 6th year guy, that is a huge benefit to Fitz. Green has been around long enough to get the job done.
If he was healthy we could have won 7 or 8 games last year.

Obviously, Green is going to be the starter. HJ has a skillset but he couldnt beat out Marty or an awful Smith. Sorta reminds me of 4 star Tony Stauss. All you social media guys annointed Stauss as our savior but he couldnt bring it on Saturdays. Not saying HJ will end up like Stauss but he is 1 or 2 years away. Marty showed that he is a leader so my guess is that he backs up Green.

Green is a 6th year guy, that is a huge benefit to Fitz. Green has been around long enough to get the job done.

I don’t know that he’s the obvious starter but I do agree based on the few plays we saw that we are a very competitive team last year if he stays healthy.

Reactions: rmndcat
I don’t know that he’s the obvious starter but I do agree based on the few plays we saw that we are a very competitive team last year if he stays healthy.
How many career TD’s does TJ have? Just asking.

I don’t have a horse in this race, but whoever starts is going to get grilled on this board which always clamors for the back up. I hope we stay with the starter and don’t alternate.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

“Obviously,” eh Turk?

Hunter is solid! Bad playcalling! Wrassler and Hunter would have made the Big Ten championship game if I were allowed to call the games this season. I'd have Hunter scrambling every play out of the pocket like the KC QB.

I don’t know if I’d write off HJ completely. The kid was the primary backup QB as a freshman at. Clemson. That makes me think he could play a bit.

Reactions: drewjin
that's the problem that a lot of board members are touting Green on those very few plays. How about looking at his stats for the previous season. You think? Hopefully Johnson gets it going with the help of the new OC. If not NU will have a tough time becoming bowl eligible.

I think it’s the same guy, but with multiple personalities. We need to be more tolerant of people with disabilities. He’s not harming anyone.

OIP.RuLJb3n2fILSFj5IwruYzQAAAA

that's the problem that a lot of board members are touting Green on those very few plays. How about looking at his stats for the previous season. You think? Hopefully Johnson gets it going with the help of the new OC. If not NU will have a tough time becoming bowl eligible.

Those few plays however were the only time all season a QB looked like they knew how to run the offense. By all accounts Green made a major jump from the prior year which is why to consider this admittedly small sample size. It's not guarantee of success but I think TJ gives me the most confidence that we'll have one guy who can read the defense and make good decisions consistently. We rarely throw the ball over 15 yards, even with NFL talent in Thorson, so its more about the quick decision-making.

Those few plays however were the only time all season a QB looked like they knew how to run the offense. By all accounts Green made a major jump from the prior year which is why to consider this admittedly small sample size. It's not guarantee of success but I think TJ gives me the most confidence that we'll have one guy who can read the defense and make good decisions consistently. We rarely throw the ball over 15 yards, even with NFL talent in Thorson, so its more about the quick decision-making.
There are multiple problems inherent to what you said. A 5th year senior is the only one who looks like they know the offense. A 5* from Clemson and two solid 3* QBs couldn’t get any passing game going. We rarely throw over 15 yards. That to me is on the OC/QB coach and possibly the WR coach.

Maybe TJ will flourish in Jake’s offense and can make us effective if Hunter can’t fulfill his potential this season. But we’ve seen his arm (at least in 2018, as a 4th year; it’s not likely to get stronger than that) and he is not going to have the same arsenal of throws that Hunter could.

There are multiple problems inherent to what you said. A 5th year senior is the only one who looks like they know the offense. A 5* from Clemson and two solid 3* QBs couldn’t get any passing game going. We rarely throw over 15 yards. That to me is on the OC/QB coach and possibly the WR coach.

Maybe TJ will flourish in Jake’s offense and can make us effective if Hunter can’t fulfill his potential this season. But we’ve seen his arm (at least in 2018, as a 4th year; it’s not likely to get stronger than that) and he is not going to have the same arsenal of throws that Hunter could.

Yes, we had one of the worst offenses in the country last year, so we're not talking about a foundation of spectacular play. We need to improve in many areas. In my view TJ substantially raises the floor for our offense because I think he can stand in the pocket and direct the offense better than anything I saw last year. If one of the other guys improves a lot than all the better.

Yes, we had one of the worst offenses in the country last year, so we're not talking about a foundation of spectacular play. We need to improve in many areas. In my view TJ substantially raises the floor for our offense because I think he can stand in the pocket and direct the offense better than anything I saw last year. If one of the other guys improves a lot than all the better.
We have had one of the worst offenses for a few years. Last year it collapsed completely. The 2020 offense will be completely different so who knows which QB will flourish in it.

Precisely. I am pretty confident that TJ can do reasonably well, and if the other guys are better - great!!

Hunter is solid! Bad playcalling! Wrassler and Hunter would have made the Big Ten championship game if I were allowed to call the games this season. I'd have Hunter scrambling every play out of the pocket like the KC QB.
Hunter is solid? I want Hunter to improve. He has the tools but vs. Wis late 3rd Qtr. that has nothing to do with play calling. That is just one ex. To many times he chose the wrong option or didn’t adjust protection.

Hunter is solid? I want Hunter to improve. He has the tools but vs. Wis late 3rd Qtr. that has nothing to do with play calling. That is just one ex. To many times he chose the wrong option or didn’t adjust protection.

The QB didn't adjust protections in McCall's scheme.

Reactions: rmndcat
FIFY

Re TJ, if he does even as well as he did in place of Thor in 2018, our offense will be worlds better in 2920

Great - can't wait. No, literally. I'll be dead. And I doubt anyone else will even be playing football.

The QB didn't adjust protections in McCall's scheme.

Note what Aidan Smith said below - Wisconsin post game interview.

Aidan Smith
On his interception: “That was my fault. They were bringing boundary pressure. I should’ve changed that protection. It was a poor decision on my fault.”

^ Pretty sure it was the Wisky game where the Badgers repeatedly brought an extra rusher at the edge, but the protection never adjusted for it.

Even when there was a RB on the same side who could have picked up the rusher.

One would have thought that at least the coaching staff would have picked up on it.

Anyhow, whatever advantage TJ had in having the firmest grasp of the playbook is gone now, and all the QBs should be on a more equal footing.

Even if TJ has a firmer grasp of the new playbook than the other QBs, it won't be by a wide margin and this is where physical talent and/or experience comes into play.

Even if he doesn’t win the job he’s a guy who I think can run a full offense, make good decisions etc... If Hunter or Marty beat him out that that’s telling me that they have improved a lot.
Peyton Ramsey?

Reactions: NJCat
^ Pretty sure it was the Wisky game where the Badgers repeatedly brought an extra rusher at the edge, but the protection never adjusted for it.

Even when there was a RB on the same side who could have picked up the rusher.

One would have thought that at least the coaching staff would have picked up on it.

Anyhow, whatever advantage TJ had in having the firmest grasp of the playbook is gone now, and all the QBs should be on a more equal footing.

Even if TJ has a firmer grasp of the new playbook than the other QBs, it won't be by a wide margin and this is where physical talent and/or experience comes into play.

TJ still has the most experience. And I would say that other talents like rapidly processing information, making smart decisions under duress and leadership are at least if not more important than physical talent at QB.

TJ still has the most experience. And I would say that other talents like rapidly processing information, making smart decisions under duress and leadership are at least if not more important than physical talent at QB.
Actually Peyton Ramsey has the most playing experience. TJ's experience with the McCall offense is of no value now that Jake is at NU.

Tell me about social media when Tony Stauss was a Wildcat. Buncha dudes on MySpace and Friendster?
It was around. I distinctly recall making the questionable ethical decision to out Stauss's mom because she had moved beyond hyping Tony to bashing Basanez online. "You don't send a boy to do a man's job" was the gist of it.

Reactions: NUCat320
Even if given an additional year, not clear why seniors now and grad students would accept it.

Reactions: Gladeskat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT