ADVERTISEMENT

CFP open thread

TheC

May 29, 2001
This first game is kinda‘ like our BIG championship game against OSU last year. Cincinnati is doing a good job limiting a talented QB but is getting physically dominated by the run game. This is why it is so hard for lesser programs to upset the elites.

Recently, wasn’t Clemson one of those. Ohio St. I remember the days of dominance of ND, FSU, Florida, LSU. Georgia is new to this discussion. Bama comes and goes almost in reverse to Auburn.

Guess these school find staff that execute a successful plan, linger in that limelight until the league figures them out. Then the next bright and successful staff elevate a school to replace them.

Those schools expect returns on there investments. They don’t spend too long strolling memory lane before handing out pink slips. Some of those programs are pretty reputable. And now that paying players through successful alum is legal, it would seem schools with lots of successful alum are in the pole position. The future for ND must be bright.

I'm ready for the pro teams to go form their own pro league.
It was a little interesting this year with Cincy and Michigan in for a change, but yeah… the CFP is pretty boring. I normally couldn’t care less.

This is not college football of 8 years ago some programs adjusted to the realities of Championship football.

Reactions: IGNORE2
This is not college football of 8 years ago some programs adjusted to the realities of Championship football.
There are bad college football teams and good college football teams. Then there are really good college football teams, like, say, Iowa. Then there are really really really good college football teams, like Michigan.

Then there are minor league NFL teams. There are like three of these a year, mostly the same couple schools. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson (at risk)… that’s pretty much been it. Maybe LSU steps up in a big year. Georgia has had half of a minor league NFL team for a few years, but this year seems to be taking their seat.

Reactions: JT2311
I really thought Michigan had a chance, but they are not in the same zip code as Georgia right now. Witness, after one half, the Dawgs' numbers advantage:

total yards: 330 - 101
first downs: 13 - 5
rushing: 13 for 78; 13 for 29

It's not like turnovers and penalties have contributed to this rout. The Wolverines are getting manhandled.

If the title game is all SEC, I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings were really down. I for one will boycott it for sure. Cincinnati and now Michigan are making their respective conferences looking really bad. I am just sticking with NU, my alma maters, and the BIG anymore if this 🗑️ continues. Some ACC as well. Everything is about the $$$$$. Herbstreit asked why the sport was dying, well pal we are witnessing the answer right here and now. The NCAA is corrupt and has sniffed the $$$$ to let this get out of control. This is why I am not sure NU will be able to compete without "selling out" at some point, which is a big reason I became a NU fan in the first place. It is just a sad state of affairs.

I really thought Michigan had a chance, but they are not in the same zip code as Georgia right now. Witness, after one half, the Dawgs' numbers advantage:

It's not like turnovers and penalties have contributed to this rout. The Wolverines are getting manhandled.
I remember Bo losing bowl games against lesser teams, but damn this thus far is a total destruction!!!! Very embarrassing for the BIG!!!

The annual Twilight Zone marathon is on now.
"You're playing football versus another conference, a conference not only of speed and strength, but of profit; a journey into a mercenary land whose boundaries with the NFL are blurred. There's a signpost up ahead: your next stop, the CFP."

Let's be honest. This was one of those years when everything broke right for Michigan. 2022 should be interesting
Yeah, but this means that the BIG isn't all that. 2022 could be wide open for the conference title though. We might have some real fun maybe.

Stetson Bennett is a fast and mobile qb! So is McNamera and last year’s qb for NU abd Ohio State! That is what it takes! It ain’t rocket 🚀 science 🧪!

"You're playing football versus another conference, a conference not only of speed and strength, but of profit; a journey into a mercenary land whose boundaries with the NFL are blurred. There's a signpost up ahead: your next stop, the CFP."
Exactly!

Georgia and Alabama have grown men on the offensive and defensive line! That is the difference!

Reactions: KappaKat
Georgia and Alabama have grown men on the offensive and defensive line! That is the difference!
It is speed pure and simple. Power and speed. Michigan doesn't have much speed on either side of the ball, not SEC speed anyway. Not sure about their power either.

Georgia looks like they show 5 and 6 man fronts on defense! But the lineman are quick as heck and built more like linebackers than lineman! All of them are 6:3 or 6:4 and 245 pounds to 260 lbs! They are getting pressure big time! All coaching schemes built on superior conditioning! Super hot and humid in Georgia most of the time! Just a different breed of football 🏈! Cramp up big time if you ain’t used to it! Sort of like Loyola and Michigan five guard look in hoops!

It is speed pure and simple. Power and speed. Michigan doesn't have much speed on either side of the ball, not SEC speed anyway. Not sure about their power either.
The “SEC speed” joke from a decade ago aside, Georgia might have 11 defensive players on this team selected in the 2022 NFL draft. That’s just crazy. Speed, power, skill… they have it all.

Well at least this was a highlight of CFB last night. Not exactly looking like a top 3 pick anymore. Happy New Year! Let’s hope 2022 is better for Cats fans.

Yeah, but this means that the BIG isn't all that. 2022 could be wide open for the conference title though. We might have some real fun maybe.
Not so sure about the 2022 B1G West - it's definitely wide open. Maybe a Wisky - Iowa battle with Minnesota as a dark horse. Both Iowa and Wisy have two of the very best coaches in CF - like them or not. Ferentz's offenses are vanilla but that program always in the mix. Nothing flashy, just solid

The B1G East is easier - OSU as they'll have a whole year to simmer about their 2020 choke job. Their 2020 and 2021 classes are rated one of the top 5 - back-to-back classes - in CF history (along with Bama's) and take a look at their 2022 class. Actually, their 2018 and 2019 classes let them down this year.

As far as OSU's main challenger in 2022 ? Watch PSU. I actually believe they have more talent than everyone not named OSU and if Franklin can ever get his head out of his a$$, 2022 could be their year

Not so sure about the 2022 B1G West - it's definitely wide open. Maybe a Wisky - Iowa battle with Minnesota as a dark horse. Both Iowa and Wisy have two of the very best coaches in CF - like them or not. Ferentz's offenses are vanilla but that program always in the mix. Nothing flashy, just solid

The B1G East is easier - OSU as they'll have a whole year to simmer about their 2020 choke job. Their 2020 and 2021 classes are rated one of the top 5 - back-to-back classes - in CF history (along with Bama's) and take a look at their 2022 class. Actually, their 2018 and 2019 classes let them down this year.

As far as OSU's main challenger in 2022 ? Watch PSU. I actually believe they have more talent than everyone not named OSU and if Franklin can ever get his head out of his a$$, 2022 could be their year
With Dotson leaving they have zero offensive weapons and with Clifford out and Robertson transferring they have no QBs. They have issues.

Holy carp. I just skimmed the GA roster and counted 75 players from in-state (out of 105, IIRC). I knew there was HS talent in Georgia, but that floors me.
People talk about Florida, California and Texas as the recruiting hot bed but no state puts out a higher rate of blue chippers than Georgia. Georgia also only has Georgia Tech as P5 in state competition. If Kirby Smart can make the leap on offense like Saban did then Georgia is going to be flat out unstoppable. That true freshman TE is a freak.

Reactions: NUCat320
With Dotson leaving they have zero offensive weapons and with Clifford out and Robertson transferring they have no QBs. They have issues.
I don’t think it’s going to be pretty for them vs Arkansas today.

Power and speed. And Fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency. Power, speed, fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, fanatical devotion to the pope, and nice red uniforms!

Actually, except for fanatical devotion to the pope, I think they all apply!

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
Well, I enjoyed the Mich loss. They looked as out of place as ND does when things go their way and they end up in the playoffs. Also, to me, this is another indication that expanding the playoffs is stupid. We can't even present a decent 3 and 4, and some people want 12. Also confirms that the CCGs are stupid as they are either a) meaningless or b) repetitive

Dabo will get a QB soon and OSU now has a DC, we'll be back to "normal" next year.

Reactions: StreamCat
Well, I enjoyed the Mich loss. They looked as out of place as ND does when things go their way and they end up in the playoffs. Also, to me, this is another indication that expanding the playoffs is stupid. We can't even present a decent 3 and 4, and some people want 12. Also confirms that the CCGs are stupid as they are either a) meaningless or b) repetitive

Dabo will get a QB soon and OSU now has a DC, we'll be back to "normal" next year.
I would still expand because of what has happened with the rest of the NY6 bowls. Cap the regular season at 11 games and do the 12th game like the B1G did last year where you play your equal division finisher. Play the first round Dec 11th (using this year as an example) We would’ve had some really solid 5-12 matchups this year. Play the next round the week after at the Peach, Cotton, Orange and Fiesta bowls. Semi Finals are the Rose and Sugar on the first then title game is bid out. Yes Georgia and Alabama still roll to the final but we get some fun playoff matchups and some on campus. With the increase in TV $ players on playoff participants get a cut if the money.

I would still expand because of what has happened with the rest of the NY6 bowls. Cap the regular season at 11 games and do the 12th game like the B1G did last year where you play your equal division finisher. Play the first round Dec 11th (using this year as an example) We would’ve had some really solid 5-12 matchups this year. Play the next round the week after at the Peach, Cotton, Orange and Fiesta bowls. Semi Finals are the Rose and Sugar on the first then title game is bid out. Yes Georgia and Alabama still roll to the final but we get some fun playoff matchups and some on campus. With the increase in TV $ players on playoff participants get a cut if the money.
When do they study for finals?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT