ADVERTISEMENT

Collins will be getting lots of calls

It’s fascinating to see how people view Collins has bad-mediocre coach at any point during his tenure. He showed promise early on by changing the identity of NU by playing strong defense resulting in the 2014 upset of a very good Wisconsin team. He got NU to their first ever tournament appearance and won. A bad-mediocre coach does not do something that historically significant. No other coach has ever done that before at NU. He didn’t suddenly forget how to coach inbetween tournament seasons. He did however learn how to become a great coach over these seasons. The margin between a winning and a losing team is not that much in the B1G. He then brought this NU team to back to back tournament appearances another brand new feat. Is also still getting wins despite the many significant injuries. The player development and in game coaching has been underrated by this board throughout his tenure. He is the greatest coach in NU history and most programs would be very happy to have him.
People forget that the big complaint was all the close games that were lost. The issue was we really did not have the go to guy down the stretch. Over the last couple years he had developed Buie and to a lesser extent Audige and working on Barnhizer into that closer.. It is always a fine line between winning and losing in the BIG. If you have the guy that can close, you win more of those games and that is the difference between dancing and not

According to some fans, we should only pay him if we win the BTT this year, then make the Sweet 16, and then we land in the Final Four in 2025.

I won’t name names. But these fans exist.
He bought himself and extra year or two on the contract. One year is already gone so adding two years is only adding one more to the situation he was in after last year

Okay I agree it’s hard and he has done a great job… but if we aren’t going to get results then don’t pay him like a top 25 program coach — that’s where this discussion started.

In hoops if you can get just one legit guy you get a chance. It’s not easy but it’s possible. Very different than a sport like football. The other path — finding diamonds in the rough and developing — also works.

The next few years will be interesting.
You cant avoid playing him like top 25 and really there is not as much difference in BB as in FB

Collins took the school to the tournament for the first time ever. It was incredible.

But I also think that there is some collective misremembering of his performance as a whole.

Collin’s first 9 seasons (time here through the ultimatum):
Overall: 133-150 (.470)
Conference: 56-113 (.331)
1 NCAA, 0 NITs
2 20+ win seasons

Carmody’s last 9 seasons:
Overall: 139-146 (.488)
Conference: 49-107 (.314)
4 straight NITs, 0 NCAAs
2 20+ win seasons (and a 19)

And don’t forget, that’s including the tournament year. Up until this year his total body of work wasn’t an improvement outside of the (admittedly awesome) season and the tournament year looked like a huge fluke. He was 60-90 overall (.400) and 26-71 in conference (.268) in the 5 seasons following the tournament year.

He absolutely should have been viewed as on the hot seat.
Pleas stop with the four NITs and even the 20 win seasons The year before we went dancing, we had 20 wins with an 8-10 big record and never sniffed the NIT. He only had 17 and 18 wins in thee of those seasons before the NIT.(did have 8-10 BIG records in 2 of those seasons and He had 7 wins (7-11) in two of those NIT seasons) He got to one NIT with 20 wins once and that was with 13 OOC wins (out of 16 OOC gams) before he got there (Heck this year we only played 11 OOC games and went 9-2)

What I am saying is that the standards for getting into the NIT have gotten much more difficult for a BIG program recently than they were then. If the standards applied to teams while CCC has been HC were applied while BC was HC it is quite possible that we would have been to no NIT games under him. One of the 20 wins seasons would not have been there and neither would the 19 win season. Heck, now it probably takes 10 BIG wins to get in. And there are no where near as many OOC games to build the resume with. I think this is partly because the NIT is forced to take the regular season conference champ if they are not the same as the tourney champ and back then that was not really an issue. Basically a record over 500 overall would get a BIG team in the NIT.

Last edited:
He has to work under Gragg so not sure his gig is a sweet as you suggest
What evidence do you have that CCC isn’t working?

From what I see and hear, he is working far harder than Carmody ever did.

I think that Dr. Gragg provided a salient coacing point to him much like Mark Murphy did for Fitz back when Colby was let go. Every head coach is only as good as his players AND assistants.

Hopefully CCC doesn’t let absolute power corrupt absolutely like Fitz did.

Pleas stop with the four NITs and even the 20 win seasons The year before we went dancing, we had 20 wins with an 8-10 big record and never sniffed the NIT. He only had 17 and 18 wins in thee of those seasons before the NIT.(did have 8-10 BIG records in 2 of those seasons and He had 7 wins (7-11) in two of those NIT seasons) He got to one NIT with 20 wins once and that was with 13 OOC wins (out of 16 OOC gams) before he got there (Heck this year we only played 11 OOC games and went 9-2)

What I am saying is that the standards for getting into the NIT have gotten much more difficult for a BIG program recently than they were then. If the standards applied to teams while CCC has been HC were applied while BC was HC it is quite possible that we would have been to no NIT games under him. One of the 20 wins seasons would not have been there and neither would the 19 win season. Heck, now it probably takes 10 BIG wins to get in. And there are no where near as many OOC games to build the resume with. I think this is partly because the NIT is forsed to take the regular season conference champ if they are not the same as the tourney champ and back then that was not really an issue
Ok. Throw out NIT if you want. Just look at conference winning percentage. The point is that CCC hit a super big high, but by 5 seasons past that high the total results over his 9 years were beginning to average out to his predecessor’s last 9: instead of being “close” several times it was “definitely making it” and “not even close” the rest of the time. BC was rightly fired after that run - the point of this conversation was whether external parties like recruits were wondering the same about CCC at that point in time.

Is anyone saying that Carmody is better than Collins?!

If he keeps finishing in the top third of the conference, the influence will follow. He already works the refs better than any NU coach I’ve seen. Now he needs to earn the perception that good teams get. Good teams and players get more calls. Buie is exhibit A for NU. Consistent high level play with earn you the benefit of the doubt with the refs. He’s a very savvy player and knows how to work the game to his advantage.
Boo gets his ass kicked with few fouls

How does a mediocre coach bring a team when no basketball history, academic restrictions, and one that plays in a historic conference to its first ever tournament appearance? He didn’t forget how to coach during those seasons he also didn’t go away from defense during those seasons or Young would have started over Nance and Beran would have had less minutes, which the board hated.

Collins deserves criticism for his culture building and ego management as he lost the team in the 2017 season amidst not having a true home court and had to rebuild it from there. We don’t need to make up points to criticize him. He’s had up and down seasons at NU. I also think early on he took the air out of the ball too early in late game situations. He went from a good coach to a great coach. There’s always room for improvement and always something to do better, but a mediocre coach doesn’t accomplish what Collins accomplished. You also don’t go from mediocre to great in one season.

I will give Bill Carmody credit for building NU to the point where a top head coaching candidate like Collins would take a chance at NU. I think he was decent coach who really raised the floor of the NU hoops program. However Carmody’s last season NU finished with a losing record only ahead of PSU in the standings and had no players with any all B1G honors. (Hearn was an honorable mention). Let’s not pretend that the program was left in great place. There’s a reason Carmody got let go. Collins earned that “new budget”, new arena, and state of the art facilities from the tournament season.

Let go of Carmody and just enjoy the program going to places it never had before. It’s been a fun two seasons. Last year was the most fun team to watch NU has ever had in my time watching. This year, healthy, had the highest ceiling of any NU team ever. Just enjoy it.
He went from being a fired coach to a pretty good coach. He is not being fired for a HOF jacket currently. More still to prove

The reason Carmody's last team finished with 13 wins was due to injury to 2/3 best players. Crawford played 10 games that season. Swopshire played 24. They did not win after Swopshire was injured losing their last 7 which means that before his injury they were 13-12. That's like Boo going down 10 games into the season and Brooks going down after game 24.

The issue I have is that people keep revising the status of the program under Carmody downward - you did it in your post. Carmody's teams won 20, 20 and 19 games before the injury riddled last year. Then there is the complete message board generated recruiting issues (similar to the story now being painted - fairly or not - about the current AD which - other than the situation surrounding baseball - is literally people passing on stories they were told by their cousins' friends' little brother who does not work at NU but once overheard a conversation between two NU employees or people who could have been NU employees).

People ignore that NU's basketball program was a joke before Carmody. The facilities were a joke during the Carmody era. I can honestly say the only thing I miss about the old W-R is that in the last few years, they added spectacular scoreboards behind the basket. Other than that, it was awful. The lockerrooms were laughable until they were upgraded to just above laughable.

When Collins came in, the plans were already moving forward to improve both. I said back then that it would not be fair to judge Collins until his facilities were on par with the rest of the conference. That happened in 2018. That Collins made the NCAA before that is amazing.

That said, Collins had three really bad seasons as a coach prior to the last two. But, after he was told to win or else - instead of giving up, he stepped up and made changes throughout the program and we have all enjoyed the ride. Also, he just seems like a happier guy and I have been really impressed by how he has physically transformed in the last 12 months - dude has gotten fit.

So yeah, its not been all sunshine but it appears that NU is headed on the right path. All the same, success in the Big10 is fickle thing even for the elite (see Indiana). But as was correctly pointed out - this staff has done a fantastic job with talent identification, player develop and putting players in position to succeed in the last few years. Now they need to continue to develop the players on the roster and find players for the system they want to play and this next class (2025) might be the most important in the last few years.
Like losing Berry and MN?

I’m defending an already well-established and justified in hindsight position to others who may not have been a part of our prior discussions. If you want to continue to say CCC should have been fired, that’s your call, but it’s been getting a bit old and out of touch.

PS I mentioned he should have played Preston over Hunger recently. Guess you missed that.

No one was happy with those seasons, but I have disagreed with those who call them bad as worthy of his firing / 1-more-year short leash. I won’t rehash everything, but one metric is SRS, and that showed our “bad” seasons were some of our relatively better ones ever in our program. And the eyeball test of watching our losing many very close games showed how competitive and close we were.

Anyway, recruits may certainly have perceived it as bad and others’ too, but that doesn’t mean it was when you look at it more closely and in context. I would hope recruits and our AD looked closely…
One metric - win or lose

The loyalty to Carmody is the oddest thing I've ever seen in my sports fandom ... any sport. Maybe the Bob Knight protests top it, but he actually won ... you know, multiple championships.

Here we are in the middle of an incredible run, somebody says something critical about a pretty mediocre coach, and here comes the calvalry to save his legacy ... 11 seasons after his exit. God forbid we discuss any of the many faults of his teams.

All of us know this topic has been beaten to death including the equally hyperbolic support for Carmody as greatest coach ever.

Any chance we can limit this debate to one off-seaon day every year and move on? I'd vote for 7/15 to commemorate his thrilling 70-150 B10 career.
Oh - the Carmody CCC debates ten years ago were gold Jerry, pure gold

Who is doing that?

The question was whether a recruit would view CCC as being on the hot seat after the 2021-2022 season. In the context of what his predecessor did before he was rightly fired, it’s entirely reasonable to think the external perception would be that CCC was on the brink, especially since it was a five year stretch that looked at least as bad as the 3 years leading up to the first tournament team.

As it turns out, he made some major, major philosophical and tactical changes after some soul searching and has put together two of the best (if not the two best) seasons in school history.

We can debate whether Gragg’s public warning was a good idea (I happen to think it was a bad idea), but our program was looking to not be in great shape for an extended period after an incredible high, and I’d be surprised if recruits weren’t concerned about that. The tourney season was beginning to look like a major outlier.
To cite a close friend on this board, in hindsight, it was a great decision and has led to two magical seasons. And any disagreement lies in as much subjective conjecture as the whole CCC is Jesus 2.0 narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: Gatabowl
People forget that the big complaint was all the close games that were lost. The issue was we really did not have the go to guy down the stretch. Over the last couple years he had developed Buie and to a lesser extent Audige and working on Barnhizer into that closer.. It is always a fine line between winning and losing in the BIG. If you have the guy that can close, you win more of those games and that is the difference between dancing and not
I went back and looked at those three seasons. It was not a series of close losses. More close wins than close losses. There was the 40 point loss to Iowa in the BTT to close it out. There was a one point loss to Hartford in there. But for every close loss, there was a close win. Then there were the rest of the losses.

This 🧵 is wild.

It’s a shame Rick Taylor ran off Kevin O’Neill. O’Neill was The Truth. (This is a joke.)

It took me less than three seconds of the NU-Vandy game in Salt Lake City to recognize that the NIT is a fundamentally stupid tournament and that marking any progress by qualifying for the NIT simply means you’re accepting really low expectations. When Carmody was fired, his run of finding star-ish players every class had run out. Lumpkin, Olah, Ajou, and Abrahamson, and then Taphorn, were his final two classes. Olah became pretty good, Lumpkin was tough and fun, and Taphorn had one great moment. Carmody’s time was done. I was sad, but he had shot his shot. (Kale Abrahamson’s LinkedIn is a trip.)

We are blessed with a guy who had a front-row seat to what it means to truly build something at a school. There is no good reason for him to jump from a built program to a rebuild. He’s improved so much as an in-game coach. He and Boo have made NU cool. He landed a top transfer prospect in the last cycle, and has a ready-made plug and play team for a point guard that can shoot and run a team in this cycle.

I don’t think anyone is actually arguing that Carmody was better — that’s classic message board ‘put words in someone’s mouth’ garbage. But what’s exciting to me is that CCC has a chance to become one of the best in the country.

There are so many things going right at NU. The crowds were great. Lax and Softball are real programs. (Today’s softball renovation announcement is great.) The football stadium will be beautiful. CCC has become such a contributor to the university, and is a really respected presence in the city, and he looks cool whether in his studious glasses or his Boo-tribute headband , and I can’t see why garbage Louisville or garbage Vandy or wherever else could be comparable to building a real program 20 minutes from where he grew up while building generational wealth for his children. Not a bad go.

Last edited:
The reason Carmody's last team finished with 13 wins was due to injury to 2/3 best players. Crawford played 10 games that season. Swopshire played 24. They did not win after Swopshire was injured losing their last 7 which means that before his injury they were 13-12. That's like Boo going down 10 games into the season and Brooks going down after game 24.

The issue I have is that people keep revising the status of the program under Carmody downward - you did it in your post. Carmody's teams won 20, 20 and 19 games before the injury riddled last year. Then there is the complete message board generated recruiting issues (similar to the story now being painted - fairly or not - about the current AD which - other than the situation surrounding baseball - is literally people passing on stories they were told by their cousins' friends' little brother who does not work at NU but once overheard a conversation between two NU employees or people who could have been NU employees).

People ignore that NU's basketball program was a joke before Carmody. The facilities were a joke during the Carmody era. I can honestly say the only thing I miss about the old W-R is that in the last few years, they added spectacular scoreboards behind the basket. Other than that, it was awful. The lockerrooms were laughable until they were upgraded to just above laughable.

When Collins came in, the plans were already moving forward to improve both. I said back then that it would not be fair to judge Collins until his facilities were on par with the rest of the conference. That happened in 2018. That Collins made the NCAA before that is amazing.

That said, Collins had three really bad seasons as a coach prior to the last two. But, after he was told to win or else - instead of giving up, he stepped up and made changes throughout the program and we have all enjoyed the ride. Also, he just seems like a happier guy and I have been really impressed by how he has physically transformed in the last 12 months - dude has gotten fit.

So yeah, its not been all sunshine but it appears that NU is headed on the right path. All the same, success in the Big10 is fickle thing even for the elite (see Indiana). But as was correctly pointed out - this staff has done a fantastic job with talent identification, player develop and putting players in position to succeed in the last few years. Now they need to continue to develop the players on the roster and find players for the system they want to play and this next class (2025) might be the most important in the last few years.
No one is saying that NU was not good before BC and we all thank him for what he was able to accomplish. That said, he hit his plateau at about a 7-11 to an 8-10 BIG record and with the way thing are currently that gets you jack squat as far as post season. People hole up his NIT appearances but with the present standards most if not all would never have happened. Thankful that they did but now they would not

Did the Collins era have a setback after the tourney run? Yes. Was it disappointing? Again yes. But it was also understandable. Some key injuries and Allstate arena wrecked the following season and the rebuild was difficult without the real glue guys and the focus and purpose. Perhaps he felt he could do it the way Duke did it but while he could get better players, they were not at the level of what Duke was able to bring in. It had to be done differently here with more focus and glue guys than what could be done at Duke. He learned from his mistakes and he has built the program differently and he is again finding success. There will likely be a dropoff again next year but now he has a different template to build a team around. Hopefully the drop off will be nowhere near as severe but the damage done to recruiting by Gragg's actions may have something to do with that recovery

Reactions: SDakaGordie
The loyalty to Carmody is the oddest thing I've ever seen in my sports fandom ... any sport. Maybe the Bob Knight protests top it, but he actually won ... you know, multiple championships.

Here we are in the middle of an incredible run, somebody says something critical about a pretty mediocre coach, and here comes the calvalry to save his legacy ... 11 seasons after his exit. God forbid we discuss any of the many faults of his teams.

All of us know this topic has been beaten to death including the equally hyperbolic support for Carmody as greatest coach ever.

Any chance we can limit this debate to one off-seaon day every year and move on? I'd vote for 7/15 to commemorate his thrilling 70-150 B10 career.
Speak for yourself. I don’t thank him at all. Carmody sucked and there’s no defending his mediocrity. How anyone can say we aren’t so much better off I have no idea. That dude had 13 seasons of mediocrity which was probably 8 seasons more than he should have gotten. Which means he is responsible for holding back this program by 8 years. Good riddance. Don’t miss him or his gimmick offense and aversion to rebounding defense and recruiting in the least.

Don’t get me started or I will really unleash how strongly I feel about this.

He was no where near the mistake that JON was. When he had even a reasonable QB he was able to put together respectable offenses. It was built for working with a D oriented team that it was before the Jon hire and also with the bringing in of Braun. You can argue about his inability to land his QB out of HS but he was dealt a pretty poor hand in that area by what was in the cupboard when he arrived. As far as Fitz not replacing him, he replaced JON and it was reasonable to not try to replace both coordinators at the same time. It was evident that Jake would have been on a short leash this past season.
Not sure about that. Jake’s offenses were rated even lower than JON’s defenses. It’s just that JON’s craptastic performance came off the heels of the brilliance of Hankwitz while Jake had the benefit of following somebody who wasn’t all that good either. So it just seemed like JON was worse. They both sucked almost equally. And they should have both been replaced. Harbaugh was on the verge of getting fired and then ended up replacing both his coordinators and then goes on to win 3 B1G titles and the National Championship. Why this bullshit that you can’t fire two coordinators at the same time if they suck?

Last edited:
Reactions: mickbula
Speak for yourself. I don’t thank him at all. Carmody sucked and there’s no defending his mediocrity. How anyone can say we aren’t so much better off I have no idea. That dude had 13 seasons of mediocrity which was probably 8 seasons more than he should have gotten. Which means he is responsible for holding back this program by 8 years. Good riddance. Don’t miss him or his gimmick offense and aversion to rebounding defense and recruiting in the least.

Don’t get me started or I will really unleash how strongly I feel about this.
He did not hold the program back by 8 years. Nobody that did not want to have their career destroyed would touch NU prior to BC and a huge part of that was his last few years. Prior to those last 5 years, there was no white knight coming in to save us

Reactions: Katatonic
I’m defending an already well-established and justified in hindsight position to others who may not have been a part of our prior discussions. If you want to continue to say CCC should have been fired, that’s your call, but it’s been getting a bit old and out of touch.

PS I mentioned he should have played Preston over Hunger recently. Guess you missed that.

No one was happy with those seasons, but I have disagreed with those who call them bad as worthy of his firing / 1-more-year short leash. I won’t rehash everything, but one metric is SRS, and that showed our “bad” seasons were some of our relatively better ones ever in our program. And the eyeball test of watching our losing many very close games showed how competitive and close we were.

Anyway, recruits may certainly have perceived it as bad and others’ too, but that doesn’t mean it was when you look at it more closely and in context. I would hope recruits and our AD looked closely…
I think it's clear to say now that the (vast majority) of posters who thought CCC should have been fired in 2021-2022 were wrong. We know that now. That said, it was not at all a ridiculous position to take in 2021-2022.

I think it's clear to say now that the (vast majority) of posters who thought CCC should have been fired in 2021-2022 were wrong. We know that now. That said, it was not at all a ridiculous position to take in 2021-2022.
It certainly begs the question as to why so many were wrong, and I hope, gives people pause the next time they advocate firing someone. It’s not like this was predicting whether it was going to rain the next day; it’s (should be) a big decision to have enough solid information to advocate firing someone. I would hope many do not just move on and say - “oh well, we would have concluded the same thing now as we did before anyway”. That would be an unfortunate rationalization.

It certainly begs the question as to why so many were wrong, and I hope, gives people pause the next time they advocate firing someone. It’s not like this was predicting whether it was going to rain the next day; it’s (should be) a big decision to have enough solid information to advocate firing someone. I would hope many do not just move on and say - “oh well, we would have concluded the same thing now as we did before anyway”. That would be an unfortunate rationalization.
It’s not really a big decision for a message board chump to advocate for someone to be fired. Like, it doesn’t even matter a little. The firee will get paid and maybe my team will be better.

If somebody had said that Collins would bring in a defensive guru and stop subbing out his presumed top player in the first four minutes of game time, and if someone had said he would give Boo the ball and let him cook, and that he would give Nicholson minutes because defensive presence matters, then perhaps things would have been different. Collins has improved as a coach. It’s good!

(What would have happened last year if Young *had* stayed? Maybe no Nicholbombs. A significant threat gone from Boo’s driving game.)

It’s also not expected for a coach to become better at his job in year 8 or whatever.

To my credit, my final conclusion was that last season should have been CCC’s last chance, simply because Boo started to look the part of a star late in his junior year, and the two deserved a chance to do it together.

CCC would have been gone at 90 percent of P# programs prior to last season.

Reactions: IGNORE2
No one is saying that NU was not good before BC and we all thank him for what he was able to accomplish. That said, he hit his plateau at about a 7-11 to an 8-10 BIG record and with the way thing are currently that gets you jack squat as far as post season. People hole up his NIT appearances but with the present standards most if not all would never have happened. Thankful that they did but now they would not

Did the Collins era have a setback after the tourney run? Yes. Was it disappointing? Again yes. But it was also understandable. Some key injuries and Allstate arena wrecked the following season and the rebuild was difficult without the real glue guys and the focus and purpose. Perhaps he felt he could do it the way Duke did it but while he could get better players, they were not at the level of what Duke was able to bring in. It had to be done differently here with more focus and glue guys than what could be done at Duke. He learned from his mistakes and he has built the program differently and he is again finding success. There will likely be a dropoff again next year but now he has a different template to build a team around. Hopefully the drop off will be nowhere near as severe but the damage done to recruiting by Gragg's actions may have something to do with that recovery
I still don’t understand this Duke thing. As I have pointed out, the only guards he recruited after McIntosh over a four year period were Ash, Brown, Gaines and Greer. All well below the top 100. That’s what killed the program’s momentum. He recruited lower rated guys because he had to. I think he is more focused on recruiting more wings and guards with more of an overall game than earlier in his career but I guaranty you he will happily recruit top 100 guys again if he thinks he has a chance. Most 2-stars don’t develop like Martinelli.

It’s not really a big decision for a message board chump to advocate for someone to be fired. Like, it doesn’t even matter a little. The firee will get paid and maybe my team will be better.

If somebody had said that Collins would bring in a defensive guru and stop subbing out his presumed top player in the first four minutes of game time, and if someone had said he would give Boo the ball and let him cook, and that he would give Nicholson minutes because defensive presence matters, then perhaps things would have been different. Collins has improved as a coach. It’s good!

(What would have happened last year if Young *had* stayed? Maybe no Nicholbombs. A significant threat gone from Boo’s driving game.)

It’s also not expected for a coach to become better at his job in year 8 or whatever.

To my credit, my final conclusion was that last season should have been CCC’s last chance, simply because Boo started to look the part of a star late in his junior year, and the two deserved a chance to do it together.

CCC would have been gone at 90 percent of P# programs prior to last season.
So easy to just dismiss it as board chump talk - if no one wants to think / care about what they say here, then why discuss anything?

Back to the OP, Collins is getting interest from other programs but he ain’t going anywhere. In the pre-BTT interview, he said:

"My focus has always been being here," Collins said. "For me, I came here with the intent of being here a long time. I love Northwestern. I love what we're building through the thick and thin.

"My family loves it here, my son is a student here. So, for me, it's about focusing on the now and coaching these guys. I haven't given any thought to any other situations because I love what we're doing here right now."

So easy to just dismiss it as board chump talk - if no one wants to think / care about what they say here, then why discuss anything?
Because we have opinions on the teams we support, and like to share those opinions with others, because we have nothing better to do?

I don’t expect anything I say here will, like, *influence* anyone involved in the program. Do you?

Because we have opinions on the teams we support, and like to share those opinions with others, because we have nothing better to do?

I don’t expect anything I say here will, like, *influence* anyone involved in the program. Do you?
Influence the program? Of course not. But I like to think what people say on the board has meaning, even if it’s a gigantic waste of our time.

• Haha
Influence the program? Of course not. But I like to think what people say on the board has meaning, even if it’s a gigantic waste of our time.
Do you think it makes someone a bad person if they advocate for the firing of an individual in a public position (and who has no risk of loss of income because they have a guaranteed contract)?

People wanted him fired because they thought other alternatives that may be on the market could do a better job. This is entertainment, and double-digit losing steaks were not entertaining.

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Do you think it makes someone a bad person if they advocate for the firing of an individual in a public position (and who has no risk of loss of income because they have a guaranteed contract)?

People wanted him fired because they thought other alternatives that may be on the market could do a better job. This is entertainment, and double-digit losing steaks were not entertaining.

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️
Never said anyone was a bad person. Dismiss prior arguments all you want. I’m done here.

• Love
I still don’t understand this Duke thing. As I have pointed out, the only guards he recruited after McIntosh over a four year period were Ash, Brown, Gaines and Greer. All well below the top 100. That’s what killed the program’s momentum. He recruited lower rated guys because he had to. I think he is more focused on recruiting more wings and guards with more of an overall game than earlier in his career but I guaranty you he will happily recruit top 100 guys again if he thinks he has a chance. Most 2-stars don’t develop like Martinelli.
Martinelli and Hunger also don’t really fit the “defense first” mentality. Both have higher upside on offensive end. Collins has been recruiting the best players he can and still is. This is what pretty much every coach does. Collins will continue to recruit the players he thinks are the best without regard for stars. Coaches don’t pay attention to the recruiting websites and rankings, they watch the tape and listen to their networks. There wasn’t some massive change in philosophy.

He was no where near the mistake that JON was. When he had even a reasonable QB he was able to put together respectable offenses. It was built for working with a D oriented team that it was before the Jon hire and also with the bringing in of Braun. You can argue about his inability to land his QB out of HS but he was dealt a pretty poor hand in that area by what was in the cupboard when he arrived. As far as Fitz not replacing him, he replaced JON and it was reasonable to not try to replace both coordinators at the same time. It was evident that Jake would have been on a short leash this past season.
Jake’s offenses consistently were ranked lower than JON’s defenses… and that’s saying something. Landing a capable QB is job 1 for an OC. Was some of it driven by an insistence on running a ball control offense from 2014 and hoping we could win the turnover battle? Yes. But looking at Jake’s body of work and seeing anything but a complete failure is a… unique take.

“It’s really hard to replace both disastrous coordinator hires at the same time so we had to decide which one was less disastrous” is not a good place to be.

I have to say I agree with NuCat on this one. There is a big difference between some nobody like me saying it on a message board and someone who is actually in the position to do the firing. The frustration at the time and the lack of a clear direction led to message board fans wanting to try something new. Of course, if we were the AD who had to make the actual decision, it would be a more thought out decision with a lot more information.

(That was not invitation for more Gragg hate, please)

I have to say I agree with NuCat on this one. There is a big difference between some nobody like me saying it on a message board and someone who is actually in the position to do the firing. The frustration at the time and the lack of a clear direction led to message board fans wanting to try something new. Of course, if we were the AD who had to make the actual decision, it would be a more thought out decision with a lot more information.

(That was not invitation for more Gragg hate, please)
Give yourself more credit, @TheC! You have a lot to offer. Why diminish (and dismiss) your own thinking on a board? (Btw - I also used actual information to support my thinking).

It's a good thing that Gragg sucks at his job or Collins would've been gone. One instance where i'm glad he has no idea what he's doing.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
It's a good thing that Gragg sucks at his job or Collins would've been gone. One instance where i'm glad he has no idea what he's doing.
Actually, ccc is the one thing he has handled perfectly. If we are results driven, then the proof is in the pudding

Give yourself more credit, @TheC! You have a lot to offer. Why diminish (and dismiss) your own thinking on a board? (Btw - I also used actual information to support my thinking).
I just mean that expressing an opinion on a board doesn't carry any real weight and so we don't go through an extensive thought process when making a declaration on here (god, at least I hope not after reading the stuff around here).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT