ADVERTISEMENT

First-half thread for NU vs. Minnesota

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I'm courtside for the matchup between reeling Northwestern and depleted Minnesota. I feel like I've said this too many times this year, but this is pretty much a must-win for the Wildcats. We've heard they've had a good week of practice, but it's time to show it on the court.

Minnesota is without a couple of their studs - big man Reggie Lynch is suspended in the wake of sexual assault allegations and wing Amir Coffey is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury. They still have Jordan Murphy, who leads the Big Ten in rebounding and is second in scoring, as well as Nate Mason, so Pardon (Murphy) and Law (Mason) will have their hands full. It would be nice if NU can shoot above 40 percent -- something they didn't do in either of their last two losses.

Reactions: ricko654321
NU has gotten some good, open looks at 3s early but has knocked down just one of five. All of their attempts have been 3s so far.

The Cats also opened the game with some three-quarter court pressure and zone defense. Very interesting. Their hands have been very active inside, creating a couple turnovers.

BTN just switched over, and on the very first defensive possession since, I saw two consecutive half-hearted closeouts on three-point shooters on the same possession. Both by the same starter.

Pretty sure I heard Rever humming the fight song on BTN2GO during the broadcast break. Could have been Crispin, but don't think so. :)

lots of hustle so far, Collins is subbing plenty to keep the team fresh - this defense be burning the kcals.

Correct call. Gaines had possession, in front, with a clear path to the basket, plus Mason didn't play the ball at all. Took a while but they got it right.
Yup. Refs don't really have a choice there. Not sure what took so long.

And that’s the half, Cats look better than they have in weeks. Let’s see if they can keep it up for another 20 minutes of play.

BTN just switched over, and on the very first defensive possession since, I saw two consecutive half-hearted closeouts on three-point shooters on the same possession. Both by the same starter.
Fortunately that possession was an outlier tonight. Much better effort than I've seen for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT