ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Northwestern vs. Illinois

27 years ago today Trainspotting hit the theatres. So far, tonight, IL is not choosing life.

ewan mcgregor film GIF

Very true. Need to keep playing solid D and getting good shots. Stop any Illini momentum before it starts.
We had a big lead, they tied it up, and we reasserted our will. Hopefully we continue that in the second half, bend but don't break

I’m not saying this game is over because Illinois could battle back, but they don’t have a Trace Jackson Davis.
They were 0-11 from 3-point land in the first half. I have a feeling they'll make some in the second half. This one ain't over yet.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
I want to see the second half NU adjustments that don't give Illinois the comeback that Indiana had. No need to let them back in the game tonight.
There will be some regression to the mean and IL might hit a couple threes, but man, if we keep playing D like the first half, we can stop any momentum.

I’m going to rewatch a couple possessions from the first half just to watch our defense. There was one where Nicholson is out to challenge a three and back to help stop an offensive put back and get a rebound (or something like that). Incredible mobility for a big man.

And a series of traps in the post where we force a TO. Just incredible D so far.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The first game this year against Illinois we were up by 4 at the half and they came out on a 10-3 run to start the second, so let's hope we don't repeat that again.

Has NU had the game yet where they just dominated in both halves? I mean, I guess Iowa a few days ago counts, but I want it to happen again tonight. Pedal to the metal guys. They can rest on April 4.

Has anyone ever died from eating too much crow? Because, my plate is really, really full! What a fun ride!

This game is NOT over though.

They were 0-11 from 3-point land in the first half. I have a feeling they'll make some in the second half. This one ain't over yet.
Agreed… just saying we will have to play worse for Illinois to come back.

At some point Illinois will probably make some sort of run. Just need to minimize it, keep playing hard D, and don’t let it get out of hand.

Reactions: JournCat
StaY humblE, huStle, act as If we have DOne this before.
Please take on whatever message board persona that you feel will help us win the game! I prefer a little more optimism and some confidence, my friend.

Exactly what we couldn’t have happen. It’s a game again.

I feel like they didn't listen to me, but what we really need is someone else to heat up on NU. Berry is trying but he's cold.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT