ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa goes down! Cats are in the driver's seat!

To get to the B1G Championship game at this point, either of the two have to happen:
1. We beat Iowa and win at least 1 of 2 against Minny and Illinois.
2. We beat Minny and Illinois, and Iowa loses one more game to not us (I'd think the most likely candidates are Purdue on the road next week and Nebraska).

To get to the B1G Championship game at this point, either of the two have to happen:
2. We beat Minny and Illinois, and Iowa loses one more game to not us (I'd think the most likely candidates are Purdue on the road next week and Nebraska).
Well said! I just don’t think Iowa will beat Purdue! Purdue has an excellent offense. MSU really helped us today! Huge victory for Northwestern by MSU!

Iowa will win out, that is my prediction. They played poorly today so I think they got that out of there system ;) But you guys played a great game today. It should be a great game in a couple weeks.

The remaining schedules of the second place teams (Wisc, Iowa, Purdue) set up well provided we don't tank against Minny and Illinois.
  • Next week Iowa plays Purdue - guaranteeing another loss to one of the second place teams.
  • The following week, Wisconsin plays at PSU - that now looks like a pretty likely loss.
  • The following week, Wisconsin plays at Purdue.
  • The following week, Iowa plays Nebraska.
So it still comes down to beating Iowa because they're the only contender against whom we don't yet own head to head. If we beat Iowa I think it's possible we could actually drop one of the next 2 and still win the West. What may be the best likely scenario-
  • Iowa: Purdue (W), NU (L), Illinois (W), Nebraska (L)
  • Wisc: Rut (W), PSU (L), Purdue (L), Minny (W)
  • Purdue: Iowa (L), Minny (W), Wisc (W), Indy (W)
In this scenario we could actually drop both of the last 2 I think, and still win the West if we beat Iowa.

I'm obviously an Iowa homer (though my wife is an NU grad and we have the purple N flying on our house after the win today).....but I don't quite understand how several people are expecting Iowa to beat a pretty good Purdue team, but lose to Nebraska. The Iowa-Northwestern game will be what it will be, but what do you guys see that would make Nebraska a seemingly obvious pick?

I'm obviously an Iowa homer (though my wife is an NU grad and we have the purple N flying on our house after the win today).....but I don't quite understand how several people are expecting Iowa to beat a pretty good Purdue team, but lose to Nebraska. The Iowa-Northwestern game will be what it will be, but what do you guys see that would make Nebraska a seemingly obvious pick?
It's not an obvious pick, and I shouldn't have included it as "likely" in my post. I just think they have some really talented athletes on offense and if they are tarting to click they could be a trap on a short week for Iowa.

Or
3. We beat Minny and Illinois, and Wisconsin wins out.

It's not an obvious pick, and I shouldn't have included it as "likely" in my post. I just think they have some really talented athletes on offense and if they are tarting to click they could be a trap on a short week for Iowa.

Fair. I was just surprised to see the "likely" kind of thinking tied to a 2-6 Nebraska team beating a currently 6-2 Iowa team.

I really want this B1G West season to come down to the Iowa-Northwestern winner. I'll take a ration of crap from my wife if NU wins, but either way, I hope the two teams keep Purdue & Wisconsin from facing off with the B1G East champ.

Fair. I was just surprised to see the "likely" kind of thinking tied to a 2-6 Nebraska team beating a currently 6-2 Iowa team.

I really want this B1G West season to come down to the Iowa-Northwestern winner. I'll take a ration of crap from my wife if NU wins, but either way, I hope the two teams keep Purdue & Wisconsin from facing off with the B1G East champ.

That Nebraska team is a lot better than their record, and improving every week and gaining confidence. If you ask me, I thought they were better than Wisconsin. Plus they hate you guys, so there will be that extra motivation. Good luck.

Nebraska is a solid team! Great offense. I’d pick Nebraska against Iowa

The ugliest play of Iowa's season - nay, decade - will no doubt be the disaster at the goal line when they were about to beat PSU. So ugly it brought a tear to my eye, because I was so ready to celebrate a PSU loss.

No matter. NU - Iowa will be the intense rivalry game it usually is with the division on the line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT